Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I see. So when does the day start then?

Is it when the Virion special mission timer expires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Tae posted:

Default virion is still really good. Takes cate of fliers and learns debuff speed.

Yeah, I've been using him, but his stat growths seem to be weird. He has more hp than my Roy, almost no res, and otherwise very evenly mediocre stats. Also, he's Virion and I don't want to look at his stupid face. If I'm being honest he's really not terrible by any means, at worst just uninspiring.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Clarste posted:

I see. So when does the day start then?

Is it when the Virion special mission timer expires?

11:00 PM PST

And yeah, it's the same timer as the special characters

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
just got 5* fae

any good?

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
I pulled a 4* Fae and a 5* Azura, making her my first 5*. God loving drat it Nintendo, why would I need a 5* dancer before literally anything else?

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I tried to do the arena on intermediate for the monthly challenge, and as someone who's only 5-star is Tiki, I hate Marth and Takumi right now. I suppose I'll level my units for a week or two and hope those teams get filtered into the Advanced block in the interim.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

General Morden posted:

just got 5* fae

any good?

yeah she's good. get her regen leveled up and her debuffs going and she's a tanky dragon, solid unit

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got a level 5 big titty ninja. :toot:

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
No 5* character yet. Just starting the Awakening chapter. I guess I'll be fine for now.

My MVPs right now are 4* Reigh because of his wreck-cavalry tome and 4* Shanna because she has gotten near-perfect level-ups and she's a hilariously great mage killer (at most she takes 2 damage per spell). Azama is a surprisingly tanky healer.

Maybe I'll roll again soon and keep the rest for later.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
Okay, I'm beginning to think either I have poo poo luck, or 4* Roy is just amaziterrible. Like, Liliana having more attack than him? Well, she's obviously just taking after her dad, that's alright. Clarine having more attack than him? Okay, now we're beginning to see problems.

But loving AZURA HAVING MORE ATTACK THAN ROY?! God drat it Roy, you belong in Thracia 776. :bang:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lynkericious posted:

Okay, I'm beginning to think either I have poo poo luck, or 4* Roy is just amaziterrible. Like, Liliana having more attack than him? Well, she's obviously just taking after her dad, that's alright. Clarine having more attack than him? Okay, now we're beginning to see problems.

But loving AZURA HAVING MORE ATTACK THAN ROY?! God drat it Roy, you belong in Thracia 776. :bang:

Don't forget weapons add to ATK. 5* characters have stronger weapons. So subtract the weapon Mt for a more accurate comparison of ATK.

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

So if I rolled a 3* Corrin (f), a 3* Tiki and a 3* Robin (m) will they eventually be able to reach 5* rank or do you need to pull an actual 5* straight from the machine for it to be optimal? I don't really understand how thisworks and I don't want to throw away what seems like three good characters.

slouch fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 4, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

slouch posted:

So if I rolled a 3* Corrin, a 3* Tiki and a 3* Robin will they eventually be able to reach 5* rank or do you need to pull an actual 5* straight from the machine for it to be optimal? I don't really understand how thisworks and I don't want to throw away what seems like three good characters.

Once they reach level 20, you can spend a billion Hero Feathers (obtained mostly from Arena rewards) to "promote" them into a higher star version of themselves. This also resets their level to 1. So you can turn a 3* into a 5* with 40 levels and 22,000 feathers (which should take more than a month to collect, according to current estimates). Getting from 1 to 20 is fairly trivial, so the feathers are the main obstacle.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 4, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Hell yeah my second 5-pull got me a 5* Lyn

What's so good about healers? I haven't got a dedicated healer but I did get a maid who can heal while attacking?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Healers... can heal.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Maria has miracle which, if abilities are 100%, means she can be an effective tank if she only faces one unit?

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

Clarste posted:

Once they reach level 20, you can spend a billion Hero Feathers (obtained mostly from Arena rewards) to "promote" them into a higher star version of themselves. This also resets their level to 1. So you can turn a 3* into a 5* with 40 levels and 22,000 feathers (which should take more than a month to collect, according to current estimates). Getting from 1 to 20 is fairly trivial, so the feathers are the main obstacle.

:stonk: So should I just collect stones for another 5 roll and if I don't get a natural 4* or 5* just reroll or what? I'm a horrible nerd so I'm willing to reroll over and over again for a couple days if it's necessary. I'd rather do that then spend months farming poo poo to get my characters to a viable level. OTOH if I can get by with random high potential heroes for a while without it being too limiting I'd rather do that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Don't forget weapons add to ATK. 5* characters have stronger weapons. So subtract the weapon Mt for a more accurate comparison of ATK.

Yeah. Five star Roy has decent skills and the Sword of Seals, which is, as usual, stupid good. So, basically Roy's weak at four stars since his five star bonus is broken good.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

slouch posted:

:stonk: So should I just collect stones for another 5 roll and if I don't get a natural 4* or 5* just reroll or what? I'm a horrible nerd so I'm willing to reroll over and over again for a couple days if it's necessary. I'd rather do that then spend months farming poo poo to get my characters to a viable level. OTOH if I can get by with random high potential heroes for a while without it being too limiting I'd rather do that.

If you want a 5*, or have your heart set on a specific waifu, reroll until you have what you want. If you just want to play the game, keep your roll as long as you like the characters

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
What is the difference between a five star and a five star focus?

Once people figure out what's what a new OP would go a long way to less questions like this! :)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Once people figure out what's what a new OP would go a long way to less questions like this! :)

There's no difference. You have a 3% chance of getting one of the characters pictured on the banner, and a 3% chance to get any character that is allowed to show up at 5 stars (which includes the characters on the banner).

I'm happy to have my OP replaced but I ain't writing an effortpost. If someone PMs me a better one I'll happily put it in and credit them.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
all my mages are getting terrible stats. I can't deal with the armor units at all.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

A five star focus is one of the four heroes shown on the banner you're selecting (Legendary Heroes or Devoted Allies, or whatever). It just means you have an additional 3% chance to get one of those heroes specifically.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

E: turns out I'm wrong

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

If you want a 5*, or have your heart set on a specific waifu, reroll until you have what you want. If you just want to play the game, keep your roll as long as you like the characters

I have never played Fire Emblem and only know the characters that were in smash brothers. Luckily my second roll dropped a 5* Tiki (young) and some neat looking 4* randoms so I'll just accept this and keep going.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Can you get Roy from the Marth banner or are featured characters exclusive?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Even people who don't even loving play this series get more Tikis than me this is bullshit

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nuebot posted:

You can! The chance on the Marth banner is 1/38 * 3%=0.08%
The chance on the Roy banner is 1/4*3%+1/38*3%=0.83%

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I got Marth from the Roy banner, so probably.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nuebot posted:

if you hit 'details' you can see all the potential characters you can get on a banner

but yes roy can drop on the other banner; i think all the featured characters can drop on the opposite banner, just gonna be less likely

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Tae posted:

Maria has miracle which, if abilities are 100%, means she can be an effective tank if she only faces one unit?

From experience running into it on a random enemy, I think it's once per map. At the very least, after he got healed off 1 hp I still killed him in a single attack with someone.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Oh gently caress this game. :negative:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Did probably my last 5 pull for awhile and ended up with a couple 4* including Nowi, some archer, and a dupe of a ninja I already had. If Nowi was 5* I'd almost be tempted to use her since she can counter attack against ranged units.

9-4 is also a dumb as gently caress fight. Hope you feel like using a revive item if you don't have some high res green units with good speed because the masked guy can and will completely obliterate any units that actually try to move down a hall to get in range of him thanks to his dumb atk/spd stats.

cheetah7071 posted:

Even people who don't even loving play this series get more Tikis than me this is bullshit

The real bullshit is that Ike isn't in game yet.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

did the poll winners ever get announced?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kelp Plankton posted:

did the poll winners ever get announced?

They'll probably be announced at the same time as the banner is released.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

9-4 is also a dumb as gently caress fight. Hope you feel like using a revive item if you don't have some high res green units with good speed because the masked guy can and will completely obliterate any units that actually try to move down a hall to get in range of him thanks to his dumb atk/spd stats.

I killed him through the wall with Nino. 9-5 was way harder for me.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Presumably the next banners won't go up until the current ones expire on the 14th. Depending on who won the polls they might do some combination of the top 4 male/female characters, but since several of the characters leading in the polls are already in the game (including all four of the female characters from the last published version of the poll results) they might mix it up a bit rather than introduce new variants of existing characters right away.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

One thing this game has that's similar to the mainline FE series: you have to handicap your damage to want to level up more than your powerhouses. Meaning "don't let the waifu on the dragon kill the enemies, let this Level 1 nerd who can't even Cure yet get the kill".

Except there's no Pay2Win "Beef my army up for me" DLC for this, soooo :shrug:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's training missions for a reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tae posted:

There's training missions for a reason

and there's also quests that give color shards for leveling up