Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Attitude Indicator posted:

It'll be interesting to see if Nioh has the same staying power as the souls games.

From what I played of the demo it definitely has enough variety in character builds and movesets to compare to Fromsoft's games, and the gameplay itself definitely has the "Souls" feel. It should do just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dark souls with Diablo loot drops for infinite grinding.

Yeah goons will be playing for a long drat time.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Anyone have a link for that LG 55 inch 4k HDR tv that everyone was getting?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

AllisonByProxy posted:

Anyone have a link for that LG 55 inch 4k HDR tv that everyone was getting?

it was samsung

ks8000 in NA

ks7000 in eu

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

I'm more excited for Nioh than I was after the original Alpha. Definetly has been improved in the most recent demo. I can't say I find the exploration in Nioh nearly as satisfying as From games though.

Yeah, from what I saw the environmental art direction is weak in comparison, which is a big part of the souls games. The combat and music are nice tho

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

it was samsung

ks8000 in NA

ks7000 in eu

Mine will be coming next week :toot:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I fired up MGS5 again after many months away and my FOB had just kept on making money by defeating invaders (at least I think that's what all those messages were). Async online games are interesting to return to after a long time.

edit: I used the money to upgrade Snake's rocket arm and then rocket punched a wolf.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 5, 2017

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

glam rock hamhock posted:

If I know anything about Sega, they definitely have that trademarked.

Not in the USPTO database, and since American trademarks are use-based it's long since been abandoned.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Paracelsus posted:

Not in the USPTO database, and since American trademarks are use-based it's long since been abandoned.

Nintendo still too proud though. Nomad was perfect name for switch too.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

internet inc posted:

Can I leave my headset USB dongle plugged in and still hear voice chat through the TV? Don't see that option anywhere.

I can, but only if I'm not using the headset. If I'm using the headset, all voice comes through it. I have these.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zipperelli. posted:

I can, but only if I'm not using the headset. If I'm using the headset, all voice comes through it. I have these.

I have vita buds and they give both options, but with tv audio you only get chat in one ear on most headsets so i dont use it

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Real hurthling! posted:

it was samsung

ks8000 in NA

ks7000 in eu

THANK YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Infinite Warfare is the first CoD game I've played in probably 10 years. I mainly wanted to do the SP campaign since it seemed like the futuristic setting and gizmos would be interesting. It was fun enough and some of the missions (like the one on the asteroid close to the sun) were pretty cool. The constant jargon seemed really forced and kind of embarrassing. That also must have been the easiest money Kit Harrington has ever earned.

Gave the zombies mode a try and it was alright. It doesn't really seem playable with just random people given how convoluted it can be.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

PS4 Boost Mode Game compatability List

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
That's all looking really good, and thanks to people for organizing this information in one place.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nioh isn't entirely Souls-ish. It has a similar legacy but a different feel. A major element is that it does seem to expect death more than Souls does but in turn it makes sure that anything you do in the game is building towards increased character power. Even if you die you've probably advanced towards more title experience, increased your familiarity with your weapon, earned a skill point and unlocked a shortcut. If you're lucky you found a better weapon or just some good loot to sell for more souls-likes. It'll probably be considered 'easier' once people get a feel for how it plays but that isn't a bad thing.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Can someone with that Samsung KS8000 tell me exactly how wide the feet are apart? I'm used to tvs with a centralized base and I need to know if it will fit on my entertainment stand.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm more excited for Nioh than I was after the original Alpha. Definetly has been improved in the most recent demo. I can't say I find the exploration in Nioh nearly as satisfying as From games though.

Its not as satisfying for me, no.... but it does scratch the same itch. They have hidden items, fully 3d explorable levels, paths that wind back on themselves, optional side paths, shortcuts, multiple bonfires... some good poo poo going on.

And its not like every single dark souls level is a home run slam dunk, we've all got a few that we grumble about being rushed or whatever.

But its the depth of combat I'm most excited about, for sure. The levels aren't as good as souls levels... well.... IDK. The last beta level was pretty boring, but that port city that was on fire in the earlier beta... I liked that level's design a whole lot. And the mountain level that the one PSN guy was streaming looks very very similar to Stonefang / Armor Spider 2-1 and 2-2 in DeS.

ImpAtom posted:

Nioh isn't entirely Souls-ish. It has a similar legacy but a different feel. A major element is that it does seem to expect death more than Souls does but in turn it makes sure that anything you do in the game is building towards increased character power. Even if you die you've probably advanced towards more title experience, increased your familiarity with your weapon, earned a skill point and unlocked a shortcut. If you're lucky you found a better weapon or just some good loot to sell for more souls-likes. It'll probably be considered 'easier' once people get a feel for how it plays but that isn't a bad thing.

Uh, you only earn skill points when you level. And if you unlocked a shortcut you can probably get your souls back from your bloodstain just like dark souls? I dunno... it really is very souls-ish. Its its own thing and that's great, but it is very souls.

Its got deeper combat but once you learn it, it gives you more control. So it has a longer learning curve than souls even, but just like souls once you reach a certain critical level of game-knowledge or practice, it becomes 'easy'.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 5, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh, you only earn skill points when you level.

This is 100% untrue in the full version of the game. I pretty regularly got samurai points just by using my sword a bunch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ImpAtom posted:

This is 100% untrue in the full version of the game. I pretty regularly got samurai points just by using my sword a bunch.

Oh huh, where else then? Do you mean the samurai hair or something else?

I mean in souls games you can run forward and grab consumables and die and keep them too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh huh, where else then? Do you mean the samurai hair or something else?

No, just like, if you use your sword a bunch it'll tell you that you've become more proficient in samurai skills and toss a skill point at you, that sort of thing.

There are also Titles you unlock which are like Cheevos which unlock Reputation Points you can spend on permanent boosts and since they're stuff like "Kill 100 humans with a sword" you'll grind towards them even if you die.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

No, just like, if you use your sword a bunch it'll tell you that you've become more proficient in samurai skills and toss a skill point at you, that sort of thing.

There are also Titles you unlock which are like Cheevos which unlock Reputation Points you can spend on permanent boosts and since they're stuff like "Kill 100 humans with a sword" you'll grind towards them even if you die.

Cool, hopefully ninjitsu and magic work the same way so you don't have to dump points into the associated stats just because you want to unlock a few more skills. Especially since certain passives like 'carry more flasks' or 'carry more arrows/bullets' count as ninjitsu/magic and may be something that a character who is going heavy on samurai stats otherwise still wants, since its not really related to your ninjitsu damage or whatever.

Plus there's the hair consumables so, yeah.

And it is cool that if you're playing in co-op mode, you get 25% of the souls even if you fully lose. You can't get a bloodstain, but you can't lose your bloodstain either. So kinda what you were saying about, you should kinda always progress a teensy bit even if you're dying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, even the weapon familiarity system plays into that, since the more you use a weapon the better it gets. (It's kinda funny how much they clearly just reversed Durability from a negative to a plus though. You still find whetstones which 'restore familiarity by 150!" That said I think that's way better than durability as a system so...)

I donno. I loved Nioh but I can see people who loved Dark Souls disliking it. It's pretty different. Less tightly designed levels, more heavily emphasis on fast-paced action combat compared to even Bloodborne. I don't think it's a bad thing though. It's just different and way better than Lords of the Fallen's Budget Souls Gameplay.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, even the weapon familiarity system plays into that, since the more you use a weapon the better it gets. (It's kinda funny how much they clearly just reversed Durability from a negative to a plus though. You still find whetstones which 'restore familiarity by 150!" That said I think that's way better than durability as a system so...)

I donno. I loved Nioh but I can see people who loved Dark Souls disliking it. It's pretty different. Less tightly designed levels, more heavily emphasis on fast-paced action combat compared to even Bloodborne. I don't think it's a bad thing though. It's just different and way better than Lords of the Fallen's Budget Souls Gameplay.

Familiarity only does soo much though, and depending upon which weapons you're using, you may already be capped. But you're right, that's one more thing that persists through death. Also money and experience are separate, so you keep your money and your loot. And since loot is randomly generated and can be de-constructed and crafted, farming loot is more of a thing than it was in Dark Souls. So you're totally right there, there's more that persists than in souls.

I can definitely see some souls fans disliking it too, don't get me wrong; but I dont' think that disqualifies it as being souls-like.

Lords had major issues... that's kinda different IMO. They're both souls-like, but one is a good souls-like and the other is a bad souls-like.

Like, you can look at a game like Duke Nukem and that was a good doom-like, and then you had a bunch of lovely early FPS games that were bad doom-likes. But that didn't mean they weren't doom-clones or FPS games.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How many chapters are in uncharted 4?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

AllisonByProxy posted:

Can someone with that Samsung KS8000 tell me exactly how wide the feet are apart? I'm used to tvs with a centralized base and I need to know if it will fit on my entertainment stand.

Almost exactly a metre/39 and a bit inches on the 65"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Definetly don't dislike what I have played, but the moment to moment exploration doesn't grab me nearly as much. Like, in Dark Souls I'll always feel compelled to check every nook and cranny no matter how much of a pain in the butt it seems. In Nioh, I'd often feel kind of whatever about it. The level design is super Souls inspired, but it also feels a lot more copy/paste and just generally less intriguing. Hopefully I am wrong and the whole game isn't just muddy paths, ramshackle huts and mostly empty pagodas.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Digirat posted:

How many chapters are in uncharted 4?

21 thereabouts

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Wow, Yakuza 0's bowling game is on point! Gonna earn me that chicken manager.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Fix posted:

Wow, Yakuza 0's bowling game is on point! Gonna earn me that chicken manager.

How it is compared to Tekken Tag's bowling game? That was, I think, the best bowling game I've ever played.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Couldn't tell you. It's just a good error mitigation game. You set your position against center of lane with a fast moving pendulum, hit a timing game for direction and power, and then set your spin accordingly on a time limit. It's actually really sharp.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Technical Help, Please!

I just ordered a Samsung UN40KU6300 40" 4K TV for my bedroom. Pumped about it. However, my PS4 Pro is in the living room. From what I've been reading, the longer the cable, the harder it is on a 4K HDR signal to be sent. Although, it seems some have had success with long cables (I think I could possibly get away with using a 35ft or maybe a 25ft cable).

But, my main problem is that I don't want to move my PS4 Pro from my living room. So, I figured I could get a HDMI switch. So it goes:

PS4 Pro HDMI Output
>
HDMI Switch
>
HDMI Switch 1 Output Goes to Living Room 1080P TV AND HDMI Switch Output 2 Goes to Bedroom 4K TV

What HDMI Switch and what HDMI 2.0 cable should I get? I thought I had the right Switch picked out, but it only outputted 10GBps, and the 4K HDR needs at least 13GBps from what I've gathered.

Will these work?
Switch: https://www.amazon.com/Kinps-Select...hdmi+switch+2.0
Cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009K4J8RS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1DCPNQKKEISZB

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

That list of ps4 pro boost games is very encouraging.

A tldr is that it helps reduce frame tearing and keeps most games to a solid 30fps (and simpler games like rocket league a solid 60fps)

The only major issue is Soma crashes. And I've already beaten that game and you can still turn off boost mode for it. But it would be nice if it got a pro update or something so none of us ever have to turn off beast mode.

And most games going forward (aside from indies) should have natice support for the ps4 pro. This is gonna be how games should be played now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

This is gonna be how games should be played now.

What, so gently caress everyone who bought a normal PS4?

gently caress that.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

More like developers should have been tasked with making it work like that on the normal PS4 and not leave it up to Sony patching it into a mid generation refresh.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So I continue on my Uncharted series playthroughs. I've been playing UC2 after beating 1 and giving a good three weeks between them to not get too exhausted. UC1 was kinda fun while clunky and had some lovely parts but UC2 is really awful.

I'm not going to put spoiler tags on a 2009 game but if someone requests it I'll edit my post.

I'm right now (76% through the campaign) in the village after the part where you jump from truck to truck before they explode and I'm not having any fun with this game at all. At least in UC1 90% of the enemies died with a single beretta headshot wich had pinpoint accuracy, that made the awful shooting bearable. UC2 introduces spread on every weapon and helmets and high armored enemies so gently caress you game. Lots times you try to roll to avoid damage but you stick to a wall in plain line of sight and get killed and the set pieces are garbage.

The worst offenders for me are the awful and slow start climbing the train, the boring museum heist, the lovely train shooting while getting shot by a helicopter, climb that poo poo again just to get into a snowy arena with tons of enemies and then the loving truck jumping. So much shooting in a game that has clunky controls and bad cover shooting. I just hope that UC3 at least has better shooting so I can make the game more enjoyable when they decide to throw you dozens of armored guys. This is coming from someone that liked Tomb Raider 2013 (didn't play Rise yet).

Sure I played Tomb Raider 2013 on PC and could aim faster but as I said, in UC1 I was doing great with a plain beretta. I'll just power through 2 and give a few weeks of rest before 3 because I'm not enjoying 2 at all.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
If you're having that bad a time, maybe just decide they're not for you and put the series away? I don't mean that in a jerky way, but Uncharted 2 is generally seen as the best one (UC3 was my favorite of the first three, but that's more for characterization stuff + the ridiculously over the top set pieces) so if you dislike it this much, it might be that it just won't ever be your thing and that's okay.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Bump the difficulty down to the lowest setting and just let your eyes glaze over during the shooty parts. It's the only way to enjoy Uncharted if you're not weird enough to like its bad shooting.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What, so gently caress everyone who bought a normal PS4?

gently caress that.
I think the problem started back when the PS4 came out and Sony seemed disinterested in compelling developers to make stable frame rates, and then continued when the Pro was announced and they again acted like frame rates were an afterthought when thinking about better hardware. I agree with Sony's design decisions with the Playstation in many ways but for me frame rate (up to 60 anyway) is way more important than all the stuff they talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

60 fps is such a small consideration for console games by devs and a ton of ps4 games haven't even managed a stable 30, so the pro taking those games and making them at least as good as they should have been to start with is nice

games are gonna take the basic ps4 model as the most important one but a lot of them will still probably run kinda bad and be a lot better on the pro