Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sam Rockwell is super underrated, he's frequently one of the best parts of movies. He was one of the only good parts of Iron Man 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I want to believe Timothy Olyphant is a cool dude. He's one of those actors I always enjoy and root for in everything, like Paul Rudd, Sam Rockwell, Edward Norton, Donald Glover, and Adam Scott.

Speaking of Olyphant, my wife and I recently binge-watched Deadwood (my second time, her first), and I couldn't get her to make it through the first episode of Justified, but she seems to like Santa Clarita Diet much more than I do so far.

He's also cast perfectly in A Perfect Getaway, an incredibly fun and underrated movie everyone here would love.

I'm fine with Olyphant being an rear end in a top hat in real life. Don't need all my actors to be friendly, especially when they play charming assholes so well. :)

I watched all of Santa Clarita Diet over the last few days. The constant frazzled nature of Olyphant's character was pretty great. Loved the drug dealer's apartment scene "Hey! Who the gently caress are you?" "Joel poo poo"

I mentioned it earlier but I think I would have enjoyed it much more had I never seen iZombie which really does the "living day to day as a zombie" better. It had some good fun moments, but wasn't anything special.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

Sam Rockwell is super underrated, he's frequently one of the best parts of movies. He was one of the only good parts of Iron Man 2.

Look at this dude with the correct opinion.

Also Timothy Olyphant is usually the best part of whatever he is in and his costars on Justified had nothing but good things to say about him, he and Patton Oswalt are close friends these days and if Patton likes you you're probably a good guy.

Also gently caress Kevin Smith.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Look at this dude with the correct opinion.

Also Timothy Olyphant is usually the best part of whatever he is in and his costars on Justified had nothing but good things to say about him, he and Patton Oswalt are close friends these days and if Patton likes you you're probably a good guy.

Also gently caress Kevin Smith.

Yeah, Patton liking him means he can't be terrible. He's one of the most genuine dudes in ye ol' Hollywoods.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a deep love of Tim so I get defensive when people say he's a bad dude. Like, everybody loves that guy.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Olyphant was also the lead in the remake of The Crazies, which was a pretty decent straightforward horror-thriller.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I want to believe Timothy Olyphant is a cool dude. He's one of those actors I always enjoy and root for in everything, like Paul Rudd, Sam Rockwell, Edward Norton, Donald Glover, and Adam Scott.

Speaking of Olyphant, my wife and I recently binge-watched Deadwood (my second time, her first), and I couldn't get her to make it through the first episode of Justified, but she seems to like Santa Clarita Diet much more than I do so far.

He's also cast perfectly in A Perfect Getaway, an incredibly fun and underrated movie everyone here would love.

Edward Norton is one of the biggest assholes in Hollywood man.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Yeah Kevin Smith talking poo poo doesn't mean anything.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Yeah Kevin Smith talking poo poo doesn't mean anything.

A few years ago he was in a feud with Adam Carolla (might still be, who knows). The podcast where they tried to "settle their differences" was one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever listened to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Which is a drat shame because he is an amazing actor.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Medullah posted:

A few years ago he was in a feud with Adam Carolla (might still be, who knows). The podcast where they tried to "settle their differences" was one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever listened to.

Adam Carolla strikes me as a real piece of poo poo so them two feuding is appropriate.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

IRQ posted:

Adam Carolla strikes me as a real piece of poo poo so them two feuding is appropriate.

Yeah he seemed a cool, down to earth person around Man Show/radio show days, but has gotten significantly more pompous over the year.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At least he's not Joe Rogan.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I know this was a while ago, but I just wanted to post my understanding of what happened RE: Coltonchat.

The way I understand it is: Colton was gonna be a regular on Teen Wolf in Season 3. They had a storyline written out for him and everything. But then he got a gig on Arrow, and-- roughly three weeks before they were scheduled to start filming-- decided to opt out of his contract, necessitating a lot of rewrites and a very hasty throwaway explanation for his character's absence. There are multiple rumored reasons for this, one of which is that MTV pretty much pays its actors in peanuts. This would explain why the show would proceed to lose several other major characters to their actors defecting to the CW or other networks over the next few years.

So Colton's on Arrow now and seems to be having a great time. His season 1 storyline is... you know, it's alright. Nothing super special, but it's serviceable. His Season 2 storyline is a bit better, putting him at the forefront of a super-serum plot and briefly turning him into a super-strong lunatic, which was kind of awesome. But there were already signs of trouble. The show couldn't decide what to do with him outside of him constantly getting his rear end kicked by everyone. Seriously, he got his rear end kicked all the time; by the good guys and the bad guys. Dude was a super-jobber. And then, to add insult to injury, they actually started cutting his fight scenes for time, since they all ended the same way; with him losing and thus having little-to-no effect on the plot. Roy was basically 'you tried' the character.

In Season 3, things got even worse, culminating in a moment I will never forget simply because of how egregious it was: the Atom in the DCTV Universe is basically Budget Iron Man mixed with Budget Ant Man. He's normally a hero, but this point, he was on Team Arrow's bad side, so Oliver and Roy wind up going after him. Roy fights him first and, of course, get his rear end kicked. Not only does he get his rear end kicked-- he gets electrocuted and left twitching in a puddle, forcing Oliver to kick the Atom's rear end alone. After Oliver successfully disables the Atom's suit, thus proving himself the Superior Hero, he gives a speech of some kind and then walks off in slow motion while the music swells in the background. Great, right? Except, you know, for Roy, who we last saw having spasms and shooting sparks out of every orifice. Oliver doesn't go to help him up, or check on him, he doesn't even glance at him. Neither does the camera. It just focuses on Oliver doing a hero walk (away from where Roy would be) and then cuts to the next scene. The showrunners later admitted they literally forgot that Roy was there.

A couple of episodes later, Roy gets written out of the show. It's about a year after that when Colton comes out as gay, and according to him, he left the show for mental health reasons, wanting to avoid the pressure of being in the spotlight all the time. But come on. After all that poo poo, would you want to stick around?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, I'd try to have another job lined up first since collecting recurring character checks is better than nothing, but yeah once they did their version of the "My ward is a junkie" storyline Roy was going nowhere.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Spergatory posted:

In Season 3, things got even worse, culminating in a moment I will never forget simply because of how egregious it was: the Atom in the DCTV Universe is basically Budget Iron Man mixed with Budget Ant Man. He's normally a hero, but this point, he was on Team Arrow's bad side, so Oliver and Roy wind up going after him. Roy fights him first and, of course, get his rear end kicked. Not only does he get his rear end kicked-- he gets electrocuted and left twitching in a puddle, forcing Oliver to kick the Atom's rear end alone. After Oliver successfully disables the Atom's suit, thus proving himself the Superior Hero, he gives a speech of some kind and then walks off in slow motion while the music swells in the background. Great, right? Except, you know, for Roy, who we last saw having spasms and shooting sparks out of every orifice. Oliver doesn't go to help him up, or check on him, he doesn't even glance at him. Neither does the camera. It just focuses on Oliver doing a hero walk (away from where Roy would be) and then cuts to the next scene. The showrunners later admitted they literally forgot that Roy was there.

Haha seriously? Even by season 2 of Flash standards this is quite the thing.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Colton Hayes were in a lot of Arrow scenes which were cut for time or outright deleted and you know what, the show didn't suffer for it despite this

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Santa Clarita Diet rules

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Man, with all the Colton-chat and the Ricky Wittle stuff, I always wonder if there's more to other television series being nightmares to film.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A problem with Arrow is that they don't really have a lot of time for the side characters when they also have the Oliver only flashbacks to deal with too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pan Dulce posted:

Man, with all the Colton-chat and the Ricky Wittle stuff, I always wonder if there's more to other television series being nightmares to film.

There's plenty of TV horror stories throughout the history of the medium. Go read up on Gene Roddenberry.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Escobarbarian posted:

Santa Clarita Diet rules

It's got one note, but I like that note, and it plays it really well.

(Episode 5) "Loki Hayes. Larceny, arson, homicide, homicide, homicide, homicide, impersonating a forest ranger..."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I don't know I'll ever get tired of them mixing typical suburban couple sitcom stuff with alla this. Barrymore isn't great, but I really enjoy everyone else.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It sort of reminds me of The Good Place in that it's a pretty funny comedy that also burns through lots of twisty plot. Like, it could easily have just lived on the "wow, zombie woman has to kill to eat and lives between two cops" premise forever, sort of like how Better Off Ted lived in "crazy poo poo happens in a zany evil corporation" and did amazing things with it. But instead, things happen that continually change the landscape.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Unfortunately I know this to be true, which is why Joss Whedon recast Bruce Banner in Avengers after all of Norton's meddling on Incredible Hulk. It's a real shame, because he's one of the best actors of our time, and can come across as charming. But unlike people like Paul Rudd, who are that nice by all accounts, it's a facade.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Holy poo poo, Olyphant's delivery in episode 6: "But what if you did [bite him]? And what if that makes him turn, and then he bites someone, and then they bite someone, and pretty soon we're like the biggest assholes ever?"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

Santa Clarita Diet rules

"Oh hey this show has Nathan Fillion in it? I thought he was busy with his lovely procedura- ok well there we go."

I could do without the relentless product placement for garbage Indian cars though.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 5, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"I can move my hips from side to side now! I could never do this before!" god drat Olyphant is good at playing against type

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Dead Snoopy posted:

Colton Hayes were in a lot of Arrow scenes which were cut for time or outright deleted and you know what, the show didn't suffer for it despite this

It suffered for many, many other reasons.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
True...but later and in season 2 it didn't hinder anything

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

"Oh hey this show has Nathan Fillion in it? I thought he was busy with his lovely procedura- ok well there we go."

I could do without the relentless product placement for garbage Indian cars though.

Castle has been over for a while now, Fillion has nothing but free time.

He was on the Nerdest podcast joking around that he is available for jobs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Someone posted earlier that Fillion is in actuality a huge rear end in a top hat and that is why he's probably not getting work, anyone know more about that?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

At least he's not Joe Rogan.

What's wrong with Joe Rogan?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Joe Rogan is a crazy person who believes in a ton of different conspiracies.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

Someone posted earlier that Fillion is in actuality a huge rear end in a top hat and that is why he's probably not getting work, anyone know more about that?

Maybe? I met him IRL and he was super nice and accommodating and joking, but that was just like 2 minutes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

Maybe? I met him IRL and he was super nice and accommodating and joking, but that was just like 2 minutes.

I can't find the post (if it was even in this thread) but he was a douche to Stana on the Castle set or something?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

There was a lot of she said he said on Castle, so who knows. People probably get under peoples skins after working with them for 8 years.

I do know he demanded raises for all his castmates when he got a new contract and seems to still be buddies with a lot of em.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've also read rumors that Katic was horrible to everyone. Whenever there's word of a dispute the internet will make up rumors about the side they don't like, so you never know what's real or not.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

Joe Rogan is a crazy person who believes in a ton of different conspiracies.

I've been watching Joe Rogan for years. He's not that crazy guy anymore. Eddie Bravo stole his crazy and ran away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Once in a while I'll see that Joe Rogan interviewed someone I'm interested in but then I see the length of the video is like 3 hours. How the gently caress do you talk to people for that long.

• Locked thread