Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Davros1 posted:

Matt Berry

I hadn't thought of him but he would be great, has he done any serious work though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

King Plum the Nth posted:

I used to be of the school that Alan Davies would be good but I've done a complete 180 on that notion. Just revisited the early seasons of Jonathan Creek and while I still enjoy him and the show I just don't understand how I could have thought he'd be good as the Doctor. Not a strong enough actor, maybe?
Alan Davies has always struck me as no more an "actor" than Clarkson, May and Hammond on Top Gear; they all basically play an exaggerated-for-comedic-effect version of themselves. Any of them could 'be' the Doctor for a sketch, but that's all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sad King Billy posted:

I hadn't thought of him but he would be great, has he done any serious work though?

I can only see one thing; he played a journalist in a 2010 drama called Five Daughters which was about the Ipswich Serial Murders.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Sad King Billy posted:

I think Ecclestone certainly had some of those qualities.

Yeah that's a good point, at least some of the time Ecclestone was written that way.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

evenworse username posted:

Yeah that's a good point, at least some of the time Ecclestone was written that way.

I've always loved an interview I saw with Paul McCann where he said we was a bit jelous of how Eccleston got to play the part. McGann said when he was hired, he wanted to "get in touch with [the Doctor's] inner bin-man." He'd just gotten a short haircut ("number 2, soldier boy") and meant to play the part just like that. But the produces freaked and got him a wig.

In fact one of the stories he tells (on the TV Movie comentary track, IIRC) about what a prick Eric Roberts was revolved around the wig. They were staying at the same hotel together but it took Roberts a few weeks to recognize McGann as his co-star without the rug and Robets was condescending to him before he did.

I've seen inteteviews with both Eccleston and McGann where they gave the impression that they didn't watch the show as kids because it was too soft for them. I forget which said what but I think McGann said he didn't watch because he was too busy playing football with his friends and Ecclestone thought the Doctor was a toff, being, a "lord" and all, and he didn't have any use for that stuck-up stuff.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I want to say that the commentary for The Movie has the moment McGann discovers everyone ignores the Half-Human thing, when Briggs mentions it to him. Which is hilarious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

I keep coming back to this point because it bothers me so much about this episode. They can clearly hear what's going on, and just let a men get murdered. :wtc:

It's really bizarre, the last we hear from human Brock is him in the vault screaming in terror to please not kill him.... and a few feet away up the corridor, the Doctor and Lucy kinda give a raised eyebrow "well that's pretty hosed up" look at each other before just strolling off to chat about Harmony Shoal's greater scheme.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I want to say that the commentary for The Movie has the moment McGann discovers everyone ignores the Half-Human thing, when Briggs mentions it to him. Which is hilarious.

Reminds me of a great bit in the behind-the-scenes for the An Earthly Child audio. McGann is happily talking about how neat he thinks it is to have created a granddaughter for the Doctor, then he finds out that Susan was a character from the original season AND that Carole Ann Ford is the actress who played her and he's just absolutely delighted :3:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

egon_beeblebrox posted:

My favourite bit remains when Eric Roberts shows up in full Time Lord regalia at the climax and delivers the "I always... drezzzzzz for the occasion!" line, and on the commentary McGann says, "Oh, look. Are those stairs going to light up as he steps on them?" and Briggs cracks up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Spoilers...

https://youtu.be/8zOJJA8gMXQ

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

I really want that to be in-character. The idea of The Master/Missy doing home improvement work is too good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LordZoric posted:

I really want that to be in-character. The idea of The Master/Missy doing home improvement work is too good.

I like the idea of her building and painting a fake police box to fool the Doctor and busting up as he steps inside and sees it's the same size inside.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I haven't watched Doctor Who since series 6, and while I enjoyed it, I got sick of the universe ending and the Doctor's companions being secret awesome bad asses that can control the universe or live for thousands of years. Has the Peter Capaldi series been better and more, I don't know, controlled? How would you say they compare to Matt Smith? Not just quality, but in style and scope and the like.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I haven't watched Doctor Who since series 6, and while I enjoyed it, I got sick of the universe ending and the Doctor's companions being secret awesome bad asses that can control the universe or live for thousands of years. Has the Peter Capaldi series been better and more, I don't know, controlled? How would you say they compare to Matt Smith? Not just quality, but in style and scope and the like.

There has been a bit of the secret awesome badasses stuff, but that's actually set to change this series.

I like Capaldi, but his scripts have been wildly uneven. The last series had both one of the all-time best Who stories, and one of the all-time worst.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Season 8 and 9 avoid that for the most part, but they are still very uneven seasons.
Season 7 is whole hog everything you hate about Who.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Seasons 6 and 7 caused me, a massive lover of all things Who, to stop watching the series for a long time. I'm of the opinion that the majority of Capaldi's stuff is far better than those but mileage definitely varies.

Speaking of things of questionable quality, fellow goon PopArena has been doing a series on the Virgin Doctor Who NA books. It's really interesting stuff. I'd recommend checking it out! I missed out on the NAs during the wilderness years and went straight to Big Finish so this has been quite enlightening to me.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Season 7 is great, the only thing even remotely resembling a clunker is Nightmare in Silver, and even that's buoyed by an amazing performance by Matt Smith. :colbert:

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Timby posted:

Season 7 is great, the only thing even remotely resembling a clunker is Nightmare in Silver, and even that's buoyed by an amazing performance by Matt Smith. :colbert:

Series 7 is awful. Asylum of the Daleks, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, A Town Called Mercy, The Rings of Akhaten and The Time of the Doctor range from aggressively mediocre to outright rubbish. Now, season 7 on the other hand...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

cargohills posted:

Now, season 7 on the other hand...

I thought it was spelled "seasoun?"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Name of the Doctor is rubbish in essentially the same ways that the latest Sherlock was rubbish

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The only highlight of the Smith/Clara era was Day of the Doctor.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

can you people genuinely keep straight the titles of all those The ___ of The Doctor episodes without checking?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cerv posted:

can you people genuinely keep straight the titles of all those The ___ of The Doctor episodes without checking?

Name and Time I have to pause over, but Day and Night I always remember because they're both awesome in their own way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Season 8 is really good (even if the first half of Capaldi's first story is pretty bad) and I thought we were in store for a fantastic run for Capaldi's Doctor. Then season 9 was incredibly uneven, we got a year long break and now this is his last year :smith:

LordZoric posted:

She wasn't hired back on for the season by the way, she just showed up one day in costume and the security guards they send keep disappearing mysteriously.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

LordZoric posted:

Seasons 6 and 7 caused me, a massive lover of all things Who, to stop watching the series for a long time. I'm of the opinion that the majority of Capaldi's stuff is far better than those but mileage definitely varies.

Speaking of things of questionable quality, fellow goon PopArena has been doing a series on the Virgin Doctor Who NA books. It's really interesting stuff. I'd recommend checking it out! I missed out on the NAs during the wilderness years and went straight to Big Finish so this has been quite enlightening to me.
Thanks, I'll check that out. I'll also consider going straight to Big Finish too. Anything I should know ahead of time?

Hiro Protagonist fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 6, 2017

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

She wasn't hired back on for the season by the way, she just showed up one day in costume and the security guards they send keep disappearing mysteriously. showing up as miniaturized dolls.

Keepin' it oldschool.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Thanks, I'll check that out. I'll also consider going straight to Big Finish too. Anything I should know ahead of time?

The early stuff (roughly the first 20 or so) can be pretty hit or miss, they were still getting a feel for Who at the time. Probably the biggest hit of the early BF stories is The Marian Conspiracy, wherein Colin Baker proves what a disservice he was done by the TV show and best companion ever Evelyn Smythe is introduced. The Holy Terror, also starring C. Bakes, is one of my personal favorites. Edit: Oh and The Fearmonger is a pretty good early 7th Doctor story. Almost forgot that one.

The Eighth Doctor audios are great and tell an ongoing story. Start with Storm Warning and go from there. The Chimes of Midnight is considered one of the best Doctor Who stories of any medium, so do look forward to that. Minuet In Hell is... a thing. Overall McGann kills it as the Doctor, though I am pretty biased. (He's my Doctor dammit :colbert:)

LordZoric fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 6, 2017

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

King Plum the Nth posted:

I'd be curious to hear what others think but given ( in my mind) that there are basically two schools of actors -- ones who more or less play themselves and ones who more completely assume other personas -- I feel like, if all the Doctors have anything in common, it's that they're of the latter type.

Well, Tom Baker notwithstanding. But he was the Doctor to begin with.

The_Doctor posted:

Name and Time I have to pause over, but Day and Night I always remember because they're both awesome in their own way.

I think you forgot one!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Hiro Protagonist posted:

What kind of Doctor Who/stuff in general do you like? I'm sure the thread can tailor some recommendations for you, then derail about those picks until the new episodes start airing.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I'm going to go against the usual recommendation for Big Finish and try to get you not to just listen to McGann's stories from the start in order. The only story from his first "season" of four that I actually enjoy is Sword of Orion and his best Main Range stories (Invaders from Mars, The Chimes of Midnight, Seasons of Fear, Scherzo, The Natural History of Fear) only really require a few sentences worth of context to enjoy fully at most and occasionally require no context at all. A lot of the early McGann stuff gets too much into stupid fan-wanky Doctor Who spin-off tripe like Rassilon, the Time Lords and whatever the gently caress "anti-time" is supposed to be and a few of his early stories are easily among my least favourite Big Finish releases I've listened to (e.g. Minuet in Hell, The Time of the Daleks, The Creed of the Kromon, The Twilight Kingdom). I'd similarly not recommend starting from The Marian Conspiracy for the 6th Doctor as there's a lot of garbage (Bloodtide, The Apocalypse Element, The Sandman...) there too.

If you're interested in McGann I'd instead recommend just his best early stuff and starting either at the beginning of the Eighth Doctor Adventures range (with Sheridan Smith) which is in a more new series style or the Dark Eyes box sets. I'd similarly recommend cherry-picking from the absolute best of the other three Main Range Doctors too. As an additional note it's fun to hear Tom Baker and John Hurt on audio but their stories are mostly pretty average - I've listened to the first two seasons of the 4th Doctor and all three current box sets featuring the War Doctor and there's not really any stand-out classic so far (apart from The Neverwhen, in the second War Doctor set).

Basically I enjoy Big Finish but it tends to get a bit overrated, especially once the novelty of hearing the 6th and 8th Doctors in stories that don't treat them like total poo poo wears off.

EDIT: A question to other Big Finish listeners - are any of the 4th Doctor stories (whether in the Novels, Lost Stories or 4DAs range) worth listening to in the same way as something like Spare Parts or even Dark Eyes?

I'd also just like to express how much I'd like for there to be more stories with just the 5th Doctor and Turlough, as 4 just isn't enough. I just love Turlough.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 7, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

cargohills posted:

Scherzo ..... only really require a few sentences worth of context to enjoy fully

True, in this case the only context you need is "poo poo gets weird" and I love it.

cargohills posted:

EDIT: A question to other Big Finish listeners - are any of the 4th Doctor stories (whether in the Novels, Lost Stories or 4DAs range) worth listening to in the same way as something like Spare Parts or even Dark Eyes?

I've only listened to the first season of the Fourth Doctor Adventures and I have to say that even though only one story really stands alone as something worth listening to by itself (The Renaissance Man) the season as a whole is really worth listening to and develops a really neat overarching theme carried by the chemistry between Tom Baker and Louise Jameson.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

After The War posted:

What kind of Doctor Who/stuff in general do you like? I'm sure the thread can tailor some recommendations for you, then derail about those picks until the new episodes start airing.
That'll be somewhat hard to answer. Overall, my preference is for serialized stories where characters can grow and evolve along the growing narrative, and I think that Doctor Who can do that very well and very interesting with the two wildly different perspectives of the Doctor and his companions. That said, I doubt there is too much of that in Big Finish, as I imagine the show is somewhat of a sacred cow, and how much can you change things without it throwing the show into question? Other than that, I really enjoy when Doctor Who can be the platform for some wild and fun world and culture building. I love when we get to explore weird alien races, interesting future peoples, and get thrown into philosophical or ethical conundrums, like Star Trek with more whimsy and wonder. I also enjoy a good mystery, where you wonder how the Doctor will get out alive and with his code intact. I realize this covers a lot of ground, so I can specify if need be, but those are the stories that have stuck in my mind the most.

Also, somewhat related, if I want to jump into the 12th Doctor, what should I know before hand? And which episode can I do that the least painfully?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Huh, to make the Eddie Redmayne/11th Doctor even weirder, Rory is going to be Dumbledore in Fantastic Beasts 2.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Also, somewhat related, if I want to jump into the 12th Doctor, what should I know before hand? And which episode can I do that the least painfully?

This Doctor is older and less "accessible" than 10 or 11, and he tends to be rude/acerbic in a way his young pretty former incarnations could get away with but he can't. The general theme of season 8 is how Clara (and the audience) copes with such a different Doctor, and then once she does accept him how this changes her own sense of identity.

If I had to cherrypick from season 8 I'd say:

Deep Breath - The first half (in my opinion) is really quite awful and then at about the halfway point it suddenly gets real good, and introduces you to the rather odd mindset of the new Doctor
Into the Dalek - It's repeating stuff seen in previous episodes but it furthers the idea of this Doctor feeling alien and "not-Doctor"
Kill the Moon - This is actually a really terrible episode but the ending sets up the next
Mummy on the Orient Express - This is the episode where the 12th Doctor truly "arrives"
Flatline - Showcases how the Doctor isn't necessarily a good influence on his companion even when she's doing good and noble things inspired by him
Dark Water/Death in Heaven - Great 1/2 punch finish to the season
Last Christmas - Technically a Christmas Special and not part of the season... but I consider it the true ending to season 8 and I love it.

These aren't necessarily the best episodes (I left out Robot of Sherwood which I really dig) but I think they give a good overall look at the themes of season 8 and serve as an introduction to the 12th Doctor. If that's too much, then I'd say skip Into the Dalek and Kill the Moon (watch the "previously on..." for Mummy to get caught up) but you absolutely should watch Dark Water if only for the incredible ending.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

i would like to propose a plot outline of series 10

say we are following him along on his adventures but get this, maybe the doctor...is bad???

let me know if this has been done before tia

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Huh, to make the Eddie Redmayne/11th Doctor even weirder, Rory is going to be Dumbledore in Fantastic Beasts 2.

That's some very bizarre casting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tim Burns Effect posted:

let me know if this has been done before tia

Yeah but it wasn't very well received

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Hiro Protagonist posted:

That'll be somewhat hard to answer. Overall, my preference is for serialized stories where characters can grow and evolve along the growing narrative, and I think that Doctor Who can do that very well and very interesting with the two wildly different perspectives of the Doctor and his companions. That said, I doubt there is too much of that in Big Finish, as I imagine the show is somewhat of a sacred cow, and how much can you change things without it throwing the show into question? Other than that, I really enjoy when Doctor Who can be the platform for some wild and fun world and culture building. I love when we get to explore weird alien races, interesting future peoples, and get thrown into philosophical or ethical conundrums, like Star Trek with more whimsy and wonder. I also enjoy a good mystery, where you wonder how the Doctor will get out alive and with his code intact. I realize this covers a lot of ground, so I can specify if need be, but those are the stories that have stuck in my mind the most.

You're actually in pretty good shape for Big Finish, then. True, they can be pretty stiff when trying to squeeze into televised continuity, but with original companions and eras that weren't on TV (Six during the hiatus, Seven between Survival and the TV Movie, Eight up to the revival) they feel more free to develop characters and storylines on their own. As such I'm going to suggest my two favorite recommendations to start with, The Marian Conspiracy and Storm Warning (sorry cargohills). Here's why:
  • They both introduce original companions, who will be developed in upcoming stories, and are thread/fan favorites. Evelyn, in particular, is exactly the kind of companion the Sixth Doctor needed: someone just as snarky as he is, who can call both call him out and sympathize with him in a way a younger companion couldn't.
  • They both introduce some of the "unexplored areas" I was talking about, and start to set the tone of what these Doctors' audio stories will be like. Eight, they could do anything they wanted with, and this version of the Sixth Doctor was older and more mellow than during his televised stories.
  • They're both very easy to listen to, with small casts. If you aren't accustomed to audio dramas, they can require a bit of ear training. I have one friend who gave up on the first Eighth Doctor Adventure because, to a newbie, too many of the characters sounded similar, making it confusing. With these two stories, every voice is very distinct (including some silly accents), which makes it easier to follow along. Neither of these have particularly complex plots, either, which helps get down the mental staging process. I tried to do Spare Parts as my first audio, and really had trouble keeping track of everything, then I did Storm Warning everything clicked. When I came back to Spare Parts, I had no difficulty at all.
  • They're both cheap!
From there, you can mostly work your way up those two Doctors' ranges. You can jump straight from Storm Warning to Invaders From Mars if you like, but Sword of Orion is worth a listen and introduces an ongoing plot that will come and go periodically from the Big Finish like. The run from Invaders to Neverland is an ongoing story, and by the time I'd finished them, I was a raving Big Finish fan (sorry again cargohills). Interestingly, a lot of the things that will make up "Big Finish Continuity" are introduced in the Six/Evelyn story The Apocalypse Element, but really come into play in the second McGann "season" (culminating in the excellent Neverland). Not that you need to listen to Apocalypse Element first, but it's kind of cool that the two runs I tell people go with are linked together like that. If you like variety, there isn't really a downside to to trying to do them in order, the stories are mixed up rather nicely. There are a few that we'll tell you to avoid altogether, but most of the Evelyn and Charley eras are a pleasant ride.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

if you wanna talk Big Finish story arcs nothing tops the one that starts with a goofy story about vampires ( Project: Twilight ) and ends with arguably the best Doctor Who story ever that involves multiple character arcs being resolved NINE years later ( A Death In the Family )

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm still yet to listen to A Death in the Family, but I will say that so far through that story-arc it was almost worth it for the many terrible Nimrod stories if only to see him finally encounter the 7th Doctor and get immediately clowned. :laugh:

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

This Doctor is older and less "accessible" than 10 or 11, and he tends to be rude/acerbic in a way his young pretty former incarnations could get away with but he can't. The general theme of season 8 is how Clara (and the audience) copes with such a different Doctor, and then once she does accept him how this changes her own sense of identity.

If I had to cherrypick from season 8 I'd say:

Deep Breath - The first half (in my opinion) is really quite awful and then at about the halfway point it suddenly gets real good, and introduces you to the rather odd mindset of the new Doctor
Into the Dalek - It's repeating stuff seen in previous episodes but it furthers the idea of this Doctor feeling alien and "not-Doctor"
Kill the Moon - This is actually a really terrible episode but the ending sets up the next
Mummy on the Orient Express - This is the episode where the 12th Doctor truly "arrives"
Flatline - Showcases how the Doctor isn't necessarily a good influence on his companion even when she's doing good and noble things inspired by him
Dark Water/Death in Heaven - Great 1/2 punch finish to the season
Last Christmas - Technically a Christmas Special and not part of the season... but I consider it the true ending to season 8 and I love it.

These aren't necessarily the best episodes (I left out Robot of Sherwood which I really dig) but I think they give a good overall look at the themes of season 8 and serve as an introduction to the 12th Doctor. If that's too much, then I'd say skip Into the Dalek and Kill the Moon (watch the "previously on..." for Mummy to get caught up) but you absolutely should watch Dark Water if only for the incredible ending.

I actually thought Listen was the best episode of season 8, although I really liked Into the Dalek, Mummy on the Orient Express, and Flatline. Dark Water was really good but Death in Heaven was only a so-so resolution to the season long arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm looking into the process of making a replica of the 10th doctor's sonic screwdriver as a gift for someone. Do any of you guys have some information I could use about the original materials used, if they were even off the shelf to begin with?

• Locked thread