Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

TheRationalRedditor posted:

When I say limited, I literally mean that 1600dpi is the max step in a selector system with only 3 steps. Zowie mice are really really good (except for the wheels) and their sensors are of a known, proven quality. The same cannot be said of Anker and the smart money is not in the assumption that they're better than generic office sensors, given they're marketed as inexpensive ergonomic products.

I'm not saying the sensor in the Anker mouse is any good, I have no idea. I'm saying it's silly to assume it's bad based on the mouse having only 3 DPI steps, which seems to be what you said before. That tells you literally nothing and it is silly to draw conclusions based on that. It would also be silly to assume it is good though, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Zowie only has those dpi options because it's all you really need. All that other high DPI stuff is really unnecessary.

Also most high end mice are also made for comfort as well, most cheaper mice i've used are very uncomfortable after long periods of use.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Dali Parton posted:

I hate to be contrarian but after using mice from a $10-$100 range, I never really noticed a difference when it came to "drag, click on thing". Yeah the higher end mice had DPI switches which was bomb, as with other little things like braided cables and weights, but the simple mouse aspect never felt different.

To me it's never about the DPI stages or how many steps. I've kept mice at 800 DPI for.... forever now. The issue with some of these mice is the cursor skipping or being thrown around because the sensor just can't keep up. I've had that issue with plenty of games - even when I played plenty of MOBA/RTS games. It's just extremely evident in FPS games since it's easiest to see the effect there.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

ufarn posted:

Yeah, it's very heavy. I like a heavy mouse, but G502 is mondo heavy.

Ok, I'm almost sold on the 402, but I just had a look at the sizes:

G402 Hyperion Fury (What a dumb name)

Physical specifications
Height: 5.4 in (136 mm)
Width: 2.8 in (72 mm)
Depth: 1.6 in (41 mm)

G500s

Height:44.0 mm or 1.73 inches
Width:75.9 mm or 2.99 inches
Depth:129.2 mm or 5.09 inches

I'm guessing they just switched some of the dimensions, and that they're relatively similar in size. Anyone know if it's noticeable? I have very un-trumpey hands, and my current G500 has basically been the perfect fit, with some other gaming mice I've tried really being too small to comfortable grab.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(
Yeah, I use a G500s at home and a G402 at work right now. They are pretty similar in size and shape. My ring finger hangs off the side more often due to the narrow width but it's not bad.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Went to the store to try out some mice and *christ* I hate the design of gamer mice. Ended up going with the Zowie EC1A because it seems to be well liked and understated as far as design goes. Gonna see how this compares to my Logitech M500 & M510.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Dali Parton posted:

Went to the store to try out some mice and *christ* I hate the design of gamer mice. Ended up going with the Zowie EC1A because it seems to be well liked and understated as far as design goes. Gonna see how this compares to my Logitech M500 & M510.

Come complaining in a month when the coating is sticky and lovely. Unless you bought the white logo version.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Megalixir posted:

Come complaining in a month when the coating is sticky and lovely. Unless you bought the white logo version.

Didn't see any white logo version, not even on the official Syria

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
After almost a decade of use, my Logitech MX1100 is on its last legs. The rubber right above the thumb button ripped. I think the closest currently available equivalent is the MX Master but I'm a bit hesitant to go with it since reading reports of the scroll wheel ratchet mechanism failing after a short amount of use. You'll find similar experiences also mentioned on Amazon so it seems like a design defect.

Sure, the fix is easy but it's kind of lovely to have to do that every few weeks on a $70 mouse. Does Logitech ever do hardware revisions over a current production run? I am trying to figure out if its worth spinning the roulette wheel for a working MX Master or if I should just go with a cheap $20 M705 and wait for a successor or at least a fixed version of the MX Master.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
No problem with my MX Master and I've been using it for six months at work.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Got the razer rival 500, feels alrigh so far... finger buttons are just a bit too hard to press, the thumb layout so far seems nice and what I'll use most anyway. Only thing I really miss from the g600 is its pinky button. :(

Mousepads, do these matter? See them ranging from 10 to 80 $. Thinking of just grabbing a razer goliathus cause spending more than 20 on a mousepad seems silly.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
So the alkaline battery in my refurb m310 mouse leaked and after replacing the battery and cleaning the outside I found the middle click suddenly works now. Thing hadn't been registering ever since I got it, I never had a battery leak ever improve a devices functionality before

As far as mouse pads go it can all depend on what apps or games you use and how much space you have. Coupled with how picky you or your mouse is with surfaces. If you have a glass desk then you likely need a decent mousepad, if you play csgo which requires high precision you might want those 2x3 foot monstrosities, and if you have had problems with spilling sodas on your mousepad you might look for a pad you can throw into the wash. Those cloth/foam mouse pads with sewn up edges seem really nice to help keep the edges from fraying and coming loose.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Just a wee quick update on the G102: So far it's been great. I think my hand still prefers the shape of the Kone overall, but in terms of actual performance I have no complaints at all with the 102.

If the shape works for you, I strongly recommend anyone looking for a new mouse check it out; for the price it's been great. There are definitely other mice I've used that feel higher in overall quality (G303, Castor, the Kone) but the 102 is just "fine". It's fine in its quality, but nothing exceptional, the sensor is great and it's light weight.

I think there is a version coming to NA called the G203, but it's still a banging deal to grab a 102 from Asia on Ebay.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I wanted a G102 if I could get it conveniently because the white looks fantastic. I already have the G Pro, though.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I wanted a G102 if I could get it conveniently because the white looks fantastic. I already have the G Pro, though.

Just looked at Logitech again, wished I waited for the grey to come out before I got my black one. I always liked unique snowflake colours.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Are there any self powered wireless mouses out there that anyone would recommend? I saw one through searching, but it looked completely ridiculous, with no mouse wheel or clicking functions (of which I would have thought you would want since they could contribute to powering it). I like the idea of not having to replace batteries so often, but I don't want to pay a bunch of money for something that wasn't designed with that in mind.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 26, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Battery life is a non issue in non gaming mice, a single AA will power a basic Logitech (like we use in our meeting rooms) for more than a year.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dissss posted:

Battery life is a non issue in non gaming mice, a single AA will power a basic Logitech (like we use in our meeting rooms) for more than a year.

That’s true, but low‐power operation is also a necessity for self powering. Solar‐powered calculators are only possible because normal calculators last years on a single battery.

The problem I see, though is: where would a self‐powered mouse draw energy from?

“The user’s hand movements” means you have weight shifting around inside or drag against the surface you’re mousing on, neither of which is desirable.

Drawing from the user’s body heat might work, but that’s heavy and expensive and only a few would sell as novelties.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
maybe a mouse that comes with a mousepad that wirelessly charges the mouse? and then you can make that solar/friction powered?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yeah maybe you could put some kind of ball or something in there to capture a bit of the movement energy.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mutant Standard posted:

maybe a mouse that comes with a mousepad that wirelessly charges the mouse? and then you can make that solar/friction powered?

To be honest a mousepad supporting some sort of wireless charging doesn't seem like a horrible idea. Better than a charging dock.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

K8.0 posted:

Yeah maybe you could put some kind of ball or something in there to capture a bit of the movement energy.
:laugh: Well done.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
The Logitech MX Master is currently going for $59.99 on Amazon. That's the lowest price it has been according to Camel Camel Camel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

big time bisexual posted:

The Logitech MX Master is currently going for $59.99 on Amazon. That's the lowest price it has been according to Camel Camel Camel.

Not anymore.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Platystemon posted:

Not anymore.

I just placed an order at that price a few minutes ago :/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I saw it at $70 on the search page and top of its own page, but $60 in the Compare to Similar Items table. Using the add to cart button in the table gave me an error about it no longer being available from that seller.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Nice!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Mionix Naos 7000 Mini 'Review'

I've had my Mionix Naos 7000 for 1 year 1 month. I just checked the amazon order history and apparently I had to exchange the first one immediately. I can't remember why. Since then, the coating on the pinky-rest came off when I wiped it with an alcohol wipe. The left click started missing clicks unless I click purposefully solidly. And now, middle click requires a very strong press to work, basically the same as left click but worse. This mouse has been pretty disappointing. Meanwhile, the logitech G500(i think?) I took to work after I got the Naos is still doing great on something like year 10 of it's life.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 3, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

ufarn posted:

I came from a G500, and the 402 worked much better for me after initially getting a G502. You're going to notice the weight right off the bat, and the scroll wheel is a lot better in my opinion. Only caveat is that the 402 cable is not braided, so it doesn't work well with a mouse bungee.

Yo, thanks again for the recommendation. This thing lies in the palm comfortably, has excellent button placement, and good responsiveness. Love it.

The only thing that bugs me is that you apparently can't assign the "dpi shift" button (that is closest to the thumb) a different function. Bit of a letdown, but the overall experience is exactly what I was looking for.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Are there any functional differences between the G600 and Razer's Naga Epic Chroma for non-gaming use? I would prefer wireless, but also the G600 is half the price. Are there other options I don't know about?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

This seems kinda dumb but I can't get used to the Logitech Performance MX. My hands aren't particularly small but this mouse hurts the side of my hand after using it for a while. It seemed perfect initially. Maybe its the tallness? I use a MX500 corded when at the desk and need a wireless for laptop duty.

Looking for something that isn't a nutty gaming mouse but has at least 5 buttons (3 mouse + forward/back). Any suggestions? The Master looks like the same shape as the Performance but maybe the new Triathlon is closer to the MX500?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Have any of you experienced the double click problem with Logitech mice?

I've owned two Logitech mice and both developed the double click problem and it kinda annoys me. Oh, and their software that seems to always crash.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Agrajag posted:

I've owned two Logitech mice and both developed the double click problem and it kinda annoys me. Oh, and their software that seems to always crash.
I usually just use one of those plastic dental sticks to clean the mouse of any gunk in the crevices, which fixes it.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

Agrajag posted:

Yeah. It's caused by problematic microswitches. I ended up cleaning the microswitches from the inside and rebending the copper contact. Here's my earlier post on this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222963&pagenumber=174&perpage=40#post457226499
There's a bit of a discussion on fixing it in the next few pages of the thread after that post. You can follow this guide to rebend the switches if you're technically inclined: http://www.redferret.net/?p=31008
Other than this, you can try soldering new switches but that's a bitch.

If your mouse is still under warranty, I'd try contacting Logitech support.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Both of my Performance MX mice succumbed to double click, but neither of my MX Masters have, and my MX Revo before had its wheel go whacky before the double click (and that was just in time for the MX Master).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Neither of my Performance MX have either :shrug:

My last Logitech mouse that developed double-click-ism was my old MX700, and a few times I thought my G700 had it but then it disappeared for another few months.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Two MX500s, a G5v1, and a MX Revolution lasted me about three years a piece before starting to do the double click thing. That said the issue isn't exclusive to Logitech, my previous two Microsoft Intellimouse Opticals before the MX500s died the same exact death. My old school Intellimouse Wheel was the last mouse I had that didn't start having some click problem in its life, but as a ball mouse it had its own problems.

I think I'm getting up there towards three years now with my G700S and it hasn't shown signs of the problem yet, but at the same time I'm kind of looking for an excuse to get a MX Master.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 7, 2017

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Speaking of doubleclick issues, I had a Deathadder Chroma that started to do it after ~1 year. Razer was going to send me a new one but they had me try a firmware update for it first which fixed the issue completely. So if anyone out there is having issues with their Razer mouse like that, they have firmware updates for a lot of models that may work.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

I bought a g403 wireless to use as a laptop mouse because my gigantic hands cramp using a claw grip on those teeny travel mice and so far its been awesome

but it doesn't come with a carrying case and Im starting to think throwing it unprotected in my bag is a great way to kill the switches so does anyone have recs got a preferably semi hard case that fits the g403 snugly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
I was just coming on here to see if you all were having the same double-click issue with logitech mice.

My G700 just started doing the double click thing. I've had it since June 2013 when it was sent to me for free by Logitech Support after my G9X developed the same issue after less than 2 years of use.

I looked up the repair process, but I think I'm just going to order a new mouse. It takes weeks for me to ship anything here and I can't afford to be without a mouse if I jack it up.

If I am looking for something with similar size and features, is the MX Master a safe bet? Looking at the comparison photos it seems like a close match. Would appreciate any suggestions.