Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oh poo poo sorry if that spoiled anything. its loving amazing just mainline it this weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
You can't talk about Nier reviews and forget the legendary man who was defeated by the fishing quest and wrote an article about how he couldn't beat the game instead.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
This game is gonna own

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

redreader posted:

Oh yeah I went to the mansion but can't get inside. I suppose that's a bit later. I'm in the temple searching for the prince as someone above said.
The second half of the game kicks off right after the mansion quest, that's your point of no return for sidequests if you care about 100%.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Nina posted:

You can't talk about Nier reviews and forget the legendary man who was defeated by the fishing quest and wrote an article about how he couldn't beat the game instead.

With all the things from the first Nier we've heard are coming back I'll be slightly disappointed if there's no sarcastic fishing.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

i still can't believe how many reviews of nier obviously stopped playing before the mansion kicks off the gameplay experimentation

I was genuinely surprised and pleased to see that it was that half of Nier that clearly delivered the greatest inspiration to Platinum as they tackled the sequel. I suppose Nier is at fault for obscuring its true value until halfway through the game, but once it does start going off the rails, it's just wonderful.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Arguably the last third if you count NG+. Everything from the second half of your first playthrough is one standout moment after another.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The second half of the game kicks off right after the mansion quest, that's your point of no return for sidequests if you care about 100%.

I already entered and have been locked in, but also IDGAF about sidequests.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

redreader posted:

I already entered and have been locked in, but also IDGAF about sidequests.
Perfect. Don't sweat it, then. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Welcome to the world of survival neir! it only gets better.

when i first got to the forest i was loving floored and laughing my rear end off. when i had to go back i was dreading it for ending B since i figured it would be the same lol. i was floored again but instead of laughing i was just amazed at the writing and depth of insight they gave on kaine's character. if automata can hit the same sort of notes i'll be extremely happy

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 5, 2017

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I was genuinely surprised and pleased to see that it was that half of Nier that clearly delivered the greatest inspiration to Platinum as they tackled the sequel. I suppose Nier is at fault for obscuring its true value until halfway through the game, but once it does start going off the rails, it's just wonderful.

Which is surprising because you'd expect the game to blow all its budget on the first couple of hours of gameplay and then trail off, but Nier does a really good job of ramping up the spectacle throughout the game. (Then again, I get the feeling Nier wasn't made on a huge budget anyway and gets along on pure willingness to try new poo poo that similar games haven't done before.)

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 5, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

idk about its budget but i'd imagine it was a drop in the bucket next to ffxiii

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The completion percentage is a trap, don't fall for it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
How long until this comes out? I was thinking of getting it so I can preload as I really don't want to wait 1/2 a day for it to download when I pick it up

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
March 7th, which of course had to be in the middle of the week.

Gonna have to be patient and wait for the weekend until I can get to it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
March??? Wtf that's lame

I mixed up the Nioh launch and this didn't i

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

verbal enema posted:

March??? Wtf that's lame

I mixed up the Nioh launch and this didn't i

Probably.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
drat it now I want to play Nioh: Automata

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I really hope we get a pc release date soon.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Coughing Hobo posted:

drat it now I want to play Nioh: Automata

Yeah, I'd be extremely curious to see what Platinum would do with the Souls formula.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I am now in the 2nd part of nier and have collected 2 stone tablets. How far along am I?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

redreader posted:

I am now in the 2nd part of nier and have collected 2 stone tablets. How far along am I?

you need 5 and then you go for the end. then it is highly highly recommended you start new game plus. you will be plopped back into the game at the stone tablet collection part right away and while things will seem the same many new and amazing things will occur and it will blow your mind

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

Real hurthling! posted:

you need 5 and then you go for the end. then it is highly highly recommended you start new game plus. you will be plopped back into the game at the stone tablet collection part right away and while things will seem the same many new and amazing things will occur and it will blow your mind

This is also when you should start pounding out sidequests and buying weapons. You need them all for endings C and D, and being able to steamroll through the third time makes it much more tolerable.

Ninja edit: I mean on playthrough 2. The first time, just play and enjoy.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Do I 'need' to do all the endings? I mean ... I don't normally sperg out too hard.
edit: I downgraded to easy for the temple boss since I had no medical herbs or anything, and I never put the difficulty back up. I don't find the game any less fun. The combat just isn't too great (I am decent at games, I've finished both bayonettas and all souls games!)

redreader fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 6, 2017

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Getting the Dragonslayer Iron Will up to level four also helps reduce a lot of the difficulty in NG+ fights. It's also so long it clips into the floor, making every scene you're in all the better.

redreader posted:

Do I 'need' to do all the endings? I mean ... I don't normally sperg out too hard.

Yes. All of them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

redreader posted:

Yes

Basically you start at the midway point with all your levels and the game is different enough to cruise through. Enemies die pretty much instantly so it only takes a real short while before the next cycle begins. Ending C and D are both kind of important.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

redreader posted:

You need to at least get ending B. Ng+ changes things up significantly in terms of the story. And I'd strongly recommend getting endings C and D as well since they are very good and just watching them wouldn't be the same.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Also, I am enjoying it, but when does it become mind-blowingly good like everyone says? It is different: lots of swearing, the boy being turned into a weird monster, the text forest, but it's not sooooo weird or anything like everyone's saying. Also I am primed to expect a bad ending. Question: does the intro sequence with the abandoned city '1200 years ago' or whatever, ever get explained? Like at first the guy is a man with a daughter in modern ish times, and then he's a fantasy hero 1200 years later? please don't spoil me :)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yes, it gets explained.

And you definitely want to do endings B and C, but if you don't want to grind to get the stuff needed for D you can just YouTube it... but you should do it. For reasons.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Ok, I believe everyone and will do all the endings. I ordered a new ps3 controller for this, the one I have constantly brings up the weapon selection screen during fights etc. I took it apart like twice and it's better than it was but it's still hosed up. if I bend or twist it even slightly it goes crazy. I have to hold it super delicately on the palm of my hand without applying any excess pressure on it at all in order to be able to play.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yes, it gets explained.

And you definitely want to do endings B and C, but if you don't want to grind to get the stuff needed for D you can just YouTube it... but you should do it. For reasons.

Endings C and D have the same requirements (get all the weapons). On the plus side, that means you can get them both in the same playthrough: just save before the final boss, beat it and pick ending C, then reload, beat it again and pick ending D.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
nonono pick Ending D first, then do C

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lmao

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Honestly I'm not really much of a fan of Ending D, besides the obvious. Doesn't seem to really fit into Father Nier's character. So even just from a story standpoint, with the Gestalt version, C then D.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I dunno I think on the contrary. It's a pretty fitting decision for an old man who's seen so much crap and has finally had enough and commits one final actually entirely benevolent deed after all the killing

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I was totally fine with not collecting all the weapons and just seeing the endings on youtube.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
IIRC, Taro Yoko's on record saying Ending C is canon for Father Nier, whereas Ending D is canon for Brother Nier.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

redreader posted:

Also, I am enjoying it, but when does it become mind-blowingly good like everyone says? It is different: lots of swearing, the boy being turned into a weird monster, the text forest, but it's not sooooo weird or anything like everyone's saying. Also I am primed to expect a bad ending. Question: does the intro sequence with the abandoned city '1200 years ago' or whatever, ever get explained? Like at first the guy is a man with a daughter in modern ish times, and then he's a fantasy hero 1200 years later? please don't spoil me :)

Everything gets explained. Make sure you read the notes when you get them and whatnot. They're not essential, but they definitely shine a light on things so you don't have to work it out while other poo poo's happening.

Combat is also trivialized once you start using Phoenix spear and realize you can just run past 90% of the enemies in the game. This is an important skill for later playthroughs.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Bad Seafood posted:

IIRC, Taro Yoko's on record saying Ending C is canon for Father Nier, whereas Ending D is canon for Brother Nier.

And neither of them are canon for Automata I think. Because Yoko Taro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

That collaboration music video got released https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEf7p_7MjkM