Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Is the lack of discount on the Crane/Majestic bundles a bug, or intended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'm not sure how cap is supposed to play with a claymore. But I'm not sure about best claymore play in general

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

IQ with nades is pro because now she can shoot ADS and throw the nades herself instead of shooting them and then having Buck or Sledge throwing nades into her back.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I guess I'm happy people teammates can't pick stun grenades as IQ anymore.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I'm not sure how cap is supposed to play with a claymore. But I'm not sure about best claymore play in general

I think the idea is to force cap to use flashbangs to disorient people into standing in his fires or running into them in a panic.

It was easier to just use the threat of them blowing up with a frag grenade though so I'm going to miss that hehe

The Duggler posted:

IQ with nades is pro because now she can shoot ADS and throw the nades herself instead of shooting them and then having Buck or Sledge throwing nades into her back.

For me it's all about cooking the nade with gadget out and killing the pulse hugging a breakable wall

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Dosvidanya posted:

For me it's all about cooking the nade with gadget out and killing the pulse hugging a breakable wall

the gently caress is this

just shoot him

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah its more useful for trying to get the mutes and batteries you can see with her

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Sdoots posted:

I get that watching the pro meta change is rad as heck, but there's also the regular-rear end players like myself. I'm not great at the game by any means, but I'm getting better every day. One of the things that I liked about Capitao was he had multiple means of forcing the enemy out of a space, both the poison gas and the frag. The frags were useful when a direct line of sight wasn't possible, and the poison was great when it was.

Now, that's not really possible.

Thermite losing the frags seems somewhat more sensical. He's about getting the team where they need to be, opening paths and sightlines. A frag isn't doing that, it's wounding the other team or forcing them to move.

Yeah but now smokes can be tossed like frags.

Was talking about pro strat since it was the main focus this weekend but Casual/Ranked crowd is always taken into account. Pros might bring visibility but the number resides in the lower tiers. Gotta try to please both. Hell, even the pros are not always in tryhard mode.

As for Cap he's still pretty good. The reason he was a must pick was because of his nades since it all comes down to means of destroying barbedwires.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

HARD people agree with me! Do you?

I agree with Macro agreeing to you that it's a decent idea.

Wooper posted:

just shoot him

Thread title contender.

e:VVV man, making it to year4 would be effin boss.

Hard fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 6, 2017

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Awesome! Thanks HARD! can't wait for the upgrade in YEAR 4

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grabbed Year 2 pass today, tomorrow seems to be the exact right day to come out of post-Skyscraper hiatus. I'm up to speed with patchnotes ( {-}7, praise ze lord, etc) since the mid-season reinforcements, but how's the meta these days?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Can someone tell me which 2 operators from each nationality/division I should unlock with my starting Renown? Everyone says get Fuse, Thermite, Ash but I want to hear your opinions on it. Thanks very much.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Can someone tell me which 2 operators from each nationality/division I should unlock with my starting Renown? Everyone says get Fuse, Thermite, Ash but I want to hear your opinions on it. Thanks very much.
I'm one major update behind in terms of game knowledge, but all British operators, as well as Ash/Thermite for U.S., Twitch/Rook for France, Jager/Bandit for Germany should still be good. Fuze seems to be fun these days, no idea what other Russian to suggest.

Basically, whatever you do - don't take Blitz.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Fuze, Hibana, Mute, Capitao are all really useful. I like Doc, but he can be pretty situational. Blitz and Jager are pretty good too

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Eh, I dunno - for defenders I'd probably say Rook, Jager or Doc, myself. They'll allow you to be useful to the team, while you learn the ropes and figure out how the other operators are being used by friendlies. (like Mute, for example - he has two 'stages' with his jammers, which isn't necessarily apparent for newbies. First is to block doors/hallways to stop drones from reaching the objective, and then the next is to move them to jam breaching charges, etc on the walls and windows. Once you know that though, he's pretty easy and extremely useful)
For attackers I'd say Sledge, Thermite (if you don't mind his slow RoF), Ash or maybe Fuze, if you know to not use him on hostage maps. (Or if you do, use it on rooms near the objective where enemies are lurking; not on the objective itself)

EDIT: vvv Good point; I had forgotten about Thatcher

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 6, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Thatcher, Mute, Rook, and Thermite are the first ones to get I'd say.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Thanks guys. Very helpful. I should have said that I plan to own the season pass so I don't need to unlock the extra operators. Just the basic ones.

Again, I appreciate everyone's suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to yap with me.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
One fast and one armoured operator from each side would be good, so you get a feel for how the game is played at both speeds -

Rook & Jager and Ash & Fuze would be good choices

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Wooper posted:

I guess I'm happy people teammates can't pick stun grenades as IQ anymore.

I can't help but feel this was directed at me :v:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I finally gave Pulse a concentrated try; I really like him and the SMG buff makes his UMP cool and good. Unfortunately I'm still bad and usually manage to only get one sneaky beaky kill before I'm cut down.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

This ain't a stealth game baby

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
This is a game where if you don't wade into a clusterfuck of gunfire with a sledgehammer ready to be swung you are playing incorrectly.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

my kinda ape posted:

I can't help but feel this was directed at me :v:

dang what a self own

look at me i not only play iq, i take flashes too hurr durr

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I don't understand the line of sight for flashbangs. I can throw mine down a hole I'm 2M away from and somehow blind myself.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Basically, whatever you do - don't take Blitz.

Can you give me some more info on this? He seems like he would be pretty good for a new player provided you don't zap your friends (I admit I know jack poo poo)

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Don't trust that anything you do is going to work the way you would expect it to, turn away as if the flashbang had in fact been tied to a piece of string and dangled a foot from your face.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Can you give me some more info on this? He seems like he would be pretty good for a new player provided you don't zap your friends (I admit I know jack poo poo)

Shields more generally but blitz in particular has suffered from shields not providing adequate cover for his giant helmet+earmuffs, which is apparently where he stashes his vital organs.

That combined with his ability to zap team-mates makes him an unreliable pick.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

I wish I could play monty. People just ping behind me and stab me before I see them move.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

lohli posted:

Shields more generally but blitz in particular has suffered from shields not providing adequate cover for his giant helmet+earmuffs, which is apparently where he stashes his vital organs.

They made his big dumb head smaller 3 seasons ago but the net code is what fucks him over full shield dudes like Montagne. I've had it happen to me and also shot straight through his shield myself.

Plus his flash range is small if you want the full effect, you need to be within 5 meters; anything over and it'll only do the slight image permanence filter or nothing at all.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

lohli posted:

Ok, it's v. funny to me that shooting off his Beats by Dre is fatal but I get what you're saying. Thanks for the explanation.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Wooper posted:

I wish I could play monty. People just ping behind me and stab me before I see them move.

The trouble I've had against monty is that I've often sprinted around him and knifed him to no effect while he apparently bopped me despite apparently not looking in the right direction.

I had a really infuriating instance of that in ranked where what was looking like a clutch comeback had a knife appear to connect(because of blood + sound) but do nothing to the person I stuck it in and then half a second later they had no problem getting theirs to work when they jammed it into my face.

Fix your game, hard.

Party Plane Jones posted:

They made his big dumb head smaller 3 seasons ago but the net code is what fucks him over full shield dudes like Montagne.

There's a problem inherent to even low latency that means getting up close to people means all manner of unreliable positional fuckery.

A lot of what I see when a blitz or monty goes down while they have their shield up is the very top of their head peeking over the top of the shield and getting hit, and I'm not sure how much of seeing shots appear to go through shields is the effect that recoil has on a shooter's aim not being reflected properly in killcams versus some kind of netcode/collision thing loving up causing shields to be ineffective.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

http://streamable.com/ihq8b

:unsmith:

I am garbage.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

On the note of what gadgets you'd like to see in the game; I'd love to see one of those guns that can aim around corners, although I'm not sure how you'd balance it. Also some sort of reverse-counter breaching charge that goes off when someone tries to place a gadget on that surface.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Wooper posted:

If you're close enough to the enemy for them to sprint in circles around you, you are playing montagne very wrong.

Unless it's 1v5 there's no reason to have an enemy right in your face like that

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Luminaflare posted:

On the note of what gadgets you'd like to see in the game; I'd love to see one of those guns that can aim around corners, although I'm not sure how you'd balance it. Also some sort of reverse-counter breaching charge that goes off when someone tries to place a gadget on that surface.

For the gun that works around corners, I envision 99% of players that use it not knowing how close to the corner they can be without sticking their arms or big dumb head out and getting killed whenever trying to put it to use.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I've had a fun bug where I died on airplane defense and when I died one of my buddies cam was nothing but a floating gun. And it took me one kill by that buddy to realize that the floating gun that I was seeing belonged to Twitch.

Who is obviously an attacker. I have somehow gained access to the enemy point of view. Confused as gently caress I decided to fully exploit this and brought my lone buddy to victory by telling him exactly everything. It worked (barely). I might upload the video for it, but it's gonna be full of polish rambling :v:

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Please upload that video

I must see it

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

lohli posted:

For the gun that works around corners, I envision 99% of players that use it not knowing how close to the corner they can be without sticking their arms or big dumb head out and getting killed whenever trying to put it to use.

This is very true.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Kikas posted:

I've had a fun bug where I died on airplane defense and when I died one of my buddies cam was nothing but a floating gun. And it took me one kill by that buddy to realize that the floating gun that I was seeing belonged to Twitch.

Who is obviously an attacker. I have somehow gained access to the enemy point of view. Confused as gently caress I decided to fully exploit this and brought my lone buddy to victory by telling him exactly everything. It worked (barely). I might upload the video for it, but it's gonna be full of polish rambling :v:

The Duggler posted:

Please upload that video

I must see it

Do it! Do iiiiiiiiit! I have got to see this! :D

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

The Duggler posted:

Please upload that video

I must see it

Oh cock, it appears I've had my mic settings mixed up and my mic wasn't recording properly. That saves you like 90% of the polish rambling.

BE AMAZED: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCRtTI6_irs

To be frank, this was on friday or saturday, so I forgot that apparently I was looking at "Black eye 4" the whole time, and that my buddy wasn't the only one. The fun part is around like the 1:00 minute mark, and I'm not the one marking them in the lower levels, but it's because I didn't try :v: The jump in the video right after Valk dies is cause I've had to splice 2 shadowplay videos and it didn't record for like 2 seconds.

Kikas fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tjones
May 13, 2005
Lol someone hit him with a black eye. If that were to happen to you, how exactly would you get it off of yourself? Ahaha.

• Locked thread