Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Holy loving poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That escalated beautifully

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

shame on an IGA posted:

That escalated beautifully

And escalated so far up that we're all now dying of embolisms and hypothermia!

(I'm really excited for death season this year you guys. I am gunna win that John Cena doll this year I can feel it!)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i wonder if people would all race to climb k2 is it became tallest

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Of course they would. Everest was crowded anyway.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

re: yuppie instagram vacations

cuba : 2017 :: vietnam : 2013 :: k2 : 2019

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Jose posted:

i wonder if people would all race to climb k2 is it became tallest

I can't be the only person who's fantasized about Everest getting bombed until it wasn't the tallest in this thread.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i dont know if i did the colon/doublecolons right

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I have a 2017 thread almost ready to go up (just missing some links to pictures and youtube videos) if Rondette is ok with me posting it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I hope you put Serak's cartoon in the OP, that is mandatory.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

ewe2 posted:

I hope you put Serak's cartoon in the OP, that is mandatory.

Maybe....yes

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

The old Everest documentary series (from Discovery, mid 00s I think?) was running in telly yesterday. Even after reading the thread and other sources, was still amazed what kind of shitshow that trek they were showing was. Sherpa trying to herd the two climbers under him to doing something other than just sitting down near the summit, climbers pretty much out of their mind on tiredness and oxygen deprivation straight up ignoring their expedition leader's calls from the camp to turn the gently caress back as they were not in the condition to go on and were just endangering other people around them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"We're at 28,000 feet, maybe you should put your gloves back on."
"No, I need to show off my flag, take my picture"

"I ended up losing most of my fingers, but it was worth it"

That show was crazy.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

"We're at 28,000 feet, maybe you should put your gloves back on."
"No, I need to show off my flag, take my picture"

"I ended up losing most of my fingers, but it was worth it"

That show was crazy.

Was it that show or one of the K2 books when a dude has to take a summit photo without the mask because his dentist needs one with his teeth visible?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
done: Annual Everest thread 2017: ALL GIFTS ARE ACCEPTED BY CHOMOLUNGMA

if anything is missing, wrong, whatever, drop me a message. same if someone wants to do the death pool

elwood fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 2, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
well that was something

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Well, that escalated quickly, but hey at least now there is an ironically copied reddit climbing megathread in gbs.

elwood fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 5, 2017

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Step away for a day, and drat.
I lost the link that was tracking the winter ascent on Everest, any news on that expedition?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Weather was too bad to try to summit, so they went back to base camp and will try again in a few days.

http://alextxikon.com/en/blog/
http://racetracker.es/rt/everestwinter

elwood fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 5, 2017

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

haha well i guess get a mod to change the thread title into this being the 2017 one? lmao

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
drat, that thread got weird quick, sorry Elwood. :/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's literally nothing to post about yet, it was too soon to post a new thread.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Nah, that was a way to get the shitposts out of the system before climbing season. As you can see it worked perfectly.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The thread is dead, long live the thread.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
"Don't make a thread where you mock people who died from their own stupid choices."

-- The forum that hosted a zombaby thread and created tribute.wmv

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Not to mention the current thread in GBS that's nothing but weird fanfic about how Patton Oswalt must have murdered his wife by choking her out and then drugging her to death. And how much overlap there is between the posters in that thread and the ones that poo poo up the Everest thread with their hilarious ironic concern.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

It's the OP that caught the mods attention, because mocking unprepared idiots on Everest is a staple diet of this thread

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Still escalating in QSC. At least some people seem to have fun.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Shitposting concern trolls: "Rah rah how dare you make fun of rich idiots killing themselves at their own and their loved ones expense?"
Everyone else: "Yeah I'll take X people to die for the Rich Idiot Death bingo"

:laffo:

girlwithgloves
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, if only Trump had aspirations for climbing Everest...
Quick, someone start tweeting him saying that he'd never be able to reach the top.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

elwood posted:

Still escalating in QSC. At least some people seem to have fun.

I've been reading the Everest threads since the start (or maaaaaybe 2012) and as much as I hate the QSC/Imp Zone/FYAD/whatever concern trolls that have set out to shut down every forum other than their's, maybe it's time to give up the stupid "death pool" thing. Nobody gives a gently caress about it past the first few pages of outrage. There's no prize. Multiple people can choose the same number. It's really pointless these days.

The only thing the death pool has done in the last few years is attract a bunch of nonsense posters to flood the post for the first week or so. It's one of those things that was sort-of funny a few years ago that just keeps getting dragged along due to tradition.

If someone wants to give out a bunch of books to a "pool" winner again, maybe make the winner the person who guesses the date of the first summit of the season or something.

I'm not saying we should stop making fun of dipshits who tried to snowboard down the mountain, never to be seen again, just that maybe the whole death pool thing has served its purpose and it's time to retire it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

MisterOblivious posted:

I've been reading the Everest threads since the start (or maaaaaybe 2012) and as much as I hate the QSC/Imp Zone/FYAD/whatever concern trolls that have set out to shut down every forum other than their's, maybe it's time to give up the stupid "death pool" thing. Nobody gives a gently caress about it past the first few pages of outrage. There's no prize. Multiple people can choose the same number. It's really pointless these days.

The only thing the death pool has done in the last few years is attract a bunch of nonsense posters to flood the post for the first week or so. It's one of those things that was sort-of funny a few years ago that just keeps getting dragged along due to tradition.

If someone wants to give out a bunch of books to a "pool" winner again, maybe make the winner the person who guesses the date of the first summit of the season or something.

I'm not saying we should stop making fun of dipshits who tried to snowboard down the mountain, never to be seen again, just that maybe the whole death pool thing has served its purpose and it's time to retire it.

i agree. i enjoy reading this thread for cool climbing stuff/stories and also woefully unprepared idiots doing stupid things but the death pool itself is a bit uncouth and just encourages endless shitposting.

maybe just make this the general really tall mountain mountaineering thread? we post about k2 and other big stuff here too.

in other news, i discovered that netflix removed ever-ever-rest-rest from streaming which is a huge loss. always enjoyed watching that right as climbing season got started.

axeil fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 6, 2017

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I always enjoy these threads, but making fun of people for dying always seemed a little crass IMHO and i don't usually participate in them anymore because of the dumb "blood for the blood god" stuff littering the threads

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
:words: I agree enough with the last few rational posts here to put my own bit in. I don't want the next 2017 version of this thread to be gassed on arrival, as it can be very informative. We can still mock idiots for being idiots, that was never the argument against the thread. The focus on the thread evolves over the season, which makes this part difficult. It begins with the intrigue, and ends with the inevitable death count rising. If we start off with 'hey here are corpses, we're looking forward to posting more in may!!' we're hosed every time that OP gets reposted. Moderating the thread's own regular posting, and scaling back a bit on the lust for death can go a long way.

I'd rather just keep a hiking / mountaineering thread where I can find awesome stories, documentaries, or learn about random poo poo to do with mountaineering. I generally just skimmed through the thread over multiple pages of congratulatory messages to the mountain for sacrifices, hopeful wishes for an avalanche, etc. This was all before the dogpile, and were legitimate thread followers. I haven't posted in the previous years threads, a lot of the time since when I manage to get caught up, the thread if already in deathwatch mode as it seemed silly to continuously +1 our approval for a 'worthy death' or whatever.

I personally don't care if we have a joke death pool, but it has easily categorized the entire thread as a lovely place due to its enthusiastic focus so early on. Other threads do not post corpses without NMS tags yet the Everest Op and several posts in previous years contained exactly that with celebratory replies. Who the gently caress cares? They're idiots, they paid a lot of money to commit suicide, lol at them, and move on. There isn't much moral ground to stand on for the thread's current state, or the 2017's approach.

Also, I think it's time we actually used the subforum this thread was moved to? I get that it has been a GBS thread, but the 2016 thread was moved here quite awhile back, during the spring season if i'm not mistaken? If we want more serious attention, and less dogpile trolls.. using the subforum where those interested in an actual conversation pertaining to mountain climbing are more likely to be browsing seems to make sense. I'd rather a slower moving thread that updates with information, questions, and mountain talk versus a GBS thread that gets bumped every time someone goes missing or is dead.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That makes sense. I was wondering why they weren't trolling this thread. Elwood done goofed and posted it in GBS.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
The death pool doesn't bother me as I know I know in general we are not wishing for more death and destruction. And it's SA so I take everything with a grain or two of salt. But I've come to look forward to following this thread each year, and watching a bunch of idiots shitpost this thing up is pretty annoying. I can live without the deathpool.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

what if we had a deathpool, but the prize for winning was you got banned

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

There's not even a death pool and the thread sucks watching people argue with invisible straw men about the merits of the death pool, I'd be less annoyed by actual death pool posting that I can tune out

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM AN ICE AXE INTO THE SUMMIT. IT’S EVEREST AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CANADIAN, SHIRYA. I WASTE EVERY O2 CANISTER AND I WASTE EVERY CANISTER HARD. MAKING "SAVE ME" SOUNDS AS I FREEZE TO DEATH OR EVEN WHEN I DON'T LEARN TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY DIED ON THE EARTHS MOST DANGEROUS MOUNTAIN. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN GBS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE ONLINE CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE FIXED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY SUBFORUM LESS LONELY BY CLIMBING EM ALL. 2 GASSED THREADS INCLUDING DEATH POOL EVERY JANUary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
Seriously though, if you haven't watched Meru, get on it. It perfectly illustrates how mountaineering is often just mental illness masquerading as sport.