Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muike posted:

I'm looking into the process of making a replica of the 10th doctor's sonic screwdriver as a gift for someone. Do any of you guys have some information I could use about the original materials used, if they were even off the shelf to begin with?

After a short time the show started using the toys because they were far more durable than the props.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Rhyno posted:

After a short time the show started using the toys because they were far more durable than the props.

That's not exactly true - they started basing the show props on the engineering resources (molds, etc.) the toymakers developed instead of their flimsy fibreglass kitbashes, but they weren't off-the-shelf toys.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

That's not exactly true - they started basing the show props on the engineering resources (molds, etc.) the toymakers developed instead of their flimsy fibreglass kitbashes, but they weren't off-the-shelf toys.

I thought our source from the show said otherwise? I thought at the very least the stunt props were just toys.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gordon Shumway posted:

I actually thought Listen was the best episode of season 8, although I really liked Into the Dalek, Mummy on the Orient Express, and Flatline. Dark Water was really good but Death in Heaven was only a so-so resolution to the season long arc.

Listen was quite good (if slightly muddled) I thought, but I was trying to put together a list of episodes I thought would be best served to introduce/catch up Hiro Protagonist on the 12th Doctor - I certainly wouldn't have included Kill the Moon on my list except it has Clara blowing up at the Doctor at the end of it which I thought was pretty important.

Now me personally, I'd just watch EVERYTHING good and bad :shobon:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 7, 2017

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Rhyno posted:

I thought our source from the show said otherwise? I thought at the very least the stunt props were just toys.

That wouldn't surprise me. But like, just looking at the show, you can tell they aren't the literal toys. I've owned the literal toys, the props look significantly better.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's possible they used hero models for the close-ups and toys for the wides, or when the thing needs to be thrown, but for drat sure the close-ups aren't made of cheap plastic.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

After The War posted:

Well, Tom Baker notwithstanding. But he was the Doctor to begin with.

Oh, ya, him. :haw: but, as you say, that's just the very rare third class of actor who doesn't have to act at all.

Which reminds me of Shatner which reminds me...

The_Doctor posted:

Name and Time I have to pause over, but Day and Night I always remember because they're both awesome in their own way.

:smith: pour a 40 of Romulan ale on the curb for how Star Trek's 50th was the polar loving opposite of Doctor Who's. Anything, absolutely anything, critical that might be said of Moffat is ameliorated by the fact that he produced Day and Night.

Still want more McGann, though. Hey! Maybe Capeldi's regeneration could be a cliffhanger and series 11+ could be flashbacks to 8. Yes! Moffat said there should only be one Doctor at a time. That's the perfect solution.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Jerusalem posted:

This Doctor is older and less "accessible" than 10 or 11, and he tends to be rude/acerbic in a way his young pretty former incarnations could get away with but he can't. The general theme of season 8 is how Clara (and the audience) copes with such a different Doctor, and then once she does accept him how this changes her own sense of identity.

If I had to cherrypick from season 8 I'd say:

Deep Breath - The first half (in my opinion) is really quite awful and then at about the halfway point it suddenly gets real good, and introduces you to the rather odd mindset of the new Doctor
Into the Dalek - It's repeating stuff seen in previous episodes but it furthers the idea of this Doctor feeling alien and "not-Doctor"
Kill the Moon - This is actually a really terrible episode but the ending sets up the next
Mummy on the Orient Express - This is the episode where the 12th Doctor truly "arrives"
Flatline - Showcases how the Doctor isn't necessarily a good influence on his companion even when she's doing good and noble things inspired by him
Dark Water/Death in Heaven - Great 1/2 punch finish to the season
Last Christmas - Technically a Christmas Special and not part of the season... but I consider it the true ending to season 8 and I love it.

These aren't necessarily the best episodes (I left out Robot of Sherwood which I really dig) but I think they give a good overall look at the themes of season 8 and serve as an introduction to the 12th Doctor. If that's too much, then I'd say skip Into the Dalek and Kill the Moon (watch the "previously on..." for Mummy to get caught up) but you absolutely should watch Dark Water if only for the incredible ending.
Thanks! I'll get to it. And the Big Finish stuff?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hiro Protagonist posted:

There's a ton of content there to fit plenty of tastes, but based on your desire for serialized stories/character growth and development etc I'd go along with LordZoric and cargohills' suggestion of the 8th Doctor Adventures range, or even the 4th Doctor Adventures range. They're set up in a similar fashion to the modern television show with season long arcs and greater emphasis on the companion's growth as a character and the odd nature of their travels with the Doctor and how it affects them. After The War makes some good suggestions too - I think their suggestions and mine offer you some good jumping off points - the Eighth Doctor Adventures run for 4 "seasons" before shifting into the big Dark Eyes and Doom Coalition storylines which I'm yet to listen to but I've heard are excellent.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

Jerusalem posted:

...the 4th Doctor Adventures range. They're set up in a similar fashion to the modern television show with season long arcs and greater emphasis on the companion's growth as a character and the odd nature of their travels with the Doctor and how it affects them. ...

This is awesome sounding. I dabled in Tom's first audios for the novelity but haven't had the time/money to persue his range seriously.

Actually I think what I listened to was pre Big Finish -- semi dramatized ones for the BBC? I have one about bees?

I've been afraid to invest more because I don't want him to sound bored or old. I remember liking the bees one. Does he rise to the occasion? Work in the new format and still bring the... Uh... Tom?

Keep in mind that. At heart, no matter how good all other Who is or how much I like it, I regard the Baker/Holmes/Hencliff era as Perfect Who.

King Plum the Nth fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 7, 2017

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Big Finish's 4th Doctor stories are fun because it's nice to hear Tom again but the stories themselves are pretty average. Tom has yet to have a story that really knocks it out of the park like the other Doctors have (then again I've only listened to the first two series + the standalone box sets)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

First season at least he sounds older but still very much "Tom", and while the stories are generally average at best the overall atmosphere and chemistry between him and Louise Jameson is really great, and you can hear his enthusiasm growing as he goes along.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 7, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

muike posted:

I'm looking into the process of making a replica of the 10th doctor's sonic screwdriver as a gift for someone. Do any of you guys have some information I could use about the original materials used, if they were even off the shelf to begin with?

Your best place to look if you're definitely wanting to make one would be the Replica Prop Forum. Be aware it's made from lots of custom machined aluminium/other parts rather than just store bought parts.

Judging by the date, I hope you're not thinking about making one in time for Valentines Day?

There's a remote control one that's very good quality: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/13a8/

This store makes replicas, but they're a pretty penny: http://celestialtoystore.com/catalog/

Or there's always the toy, which as stated, was semi-used by the production team: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0009P5YXO/

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Random off topic post ( thanks, Jerusalem and Tim for telling me about the audios) but I'm watching Before the Flood right now and it's pissing me off. I mean at first I was all into it as a very classic feeling base under siege story with gothic flair but the emotional bagagage that hasn't been checked ... If this was classic Who I'd laugh at the notion of continuity but New Who wants me to follow along so: Does Clara remember Danny Pink or what? Does she recall being the impossible girl who lived through all the Doctor's lives? Does she remember being old but saved by Santa? Seriously, did I forget or miss the reset button that was pressed on all of this character's experiences? Because I could love this story if Clara's emotional arc didn't hinge on advanced Alzheimer's.

Ugh. It's Doctor Who. I still love it.

King Plum the Nth fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 7, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

King Plum the Nth posted:

Does Clara remember Danny Pink or what? Does she recall being the impossible girl who lived through all the Doctor's lives? Does she remember being old but saved by Santa? Seriously, did I forget or miss the reset button that was pressed on all of this character's experiences?

In order, and to my understanding:

-She does remember Danny Pink, but the space of time between Death in Heaven and Last Christmas/season 9 is long enough that she's overall come to terms with the fact and is done with mourning. She might be sort of hurling herself at the Doctor's adventures out of a lack of anything else in her life, but the season doesn't really come out and say that.
-She remembers being the Impossible Girl to some extent, but not fully. It's always been very nebulously covered, but I always took it that she knows what happens academically but has no real connection to the memories.
-She remembers the dreams from Last Christmas about as well as you remember one of your more affecting dreams.
-No, you didn't miss anything that 'resets' her experiences, season 9 is just kinda bad at approaching them.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 7, 2017

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

The_Doctor posted:

Your best place to look if you're definitely wanting to make one would be the Replica Prop Forum. Be aware it's made from lots of custom machined aluminium/other parts rather than just store bought parts.

Judging by the date, I hope you're not thinking about making one in time for Valentines Day?

There's a remote control one that's very good quality: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/13a8/

This store makes replicas, but they're a pretty penny: http://celestialtoystore.com/catalog/

Or there's always the toy, which as stated, was semi-used by the production team: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0009P5YXO/

I figured they might be custom machined parts. I was somewhat hoping for a lightsaber situation and it was made of weird consumer electronics components. It's not for valentine's day, I'm just more interested in figuring out how I would go about it right now.

Thanks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

muike posted:

I figured they might be custom machined parts. I was somewhat hoping for a lightsaber situation and it was made of weird consumer electronics components. It's not for valentine's day, I'm just more interested in figuring out how I would go about it right now.

Thanks.

Here's a decent thread on the RPF to start. Dude has access to his own lathe, which probably makes it 10 times easier.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=212800

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Huh, to make the Eddie Redmayne/11th Doctor even weirder, Rory is going to be Dumbledore in Fantastic Beasts 2.

Does that mean he's eventually going to have to snog Johnny Depp?

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Jerusalem posted:

There's a ton of content there to fit plenty of tastes, but based on your desire for serialized stories/character growth and development etc I'd go along with LordZoric and cargohills' suggestion of the 8th Doctor Adventures range, or even the 4th Doctor Adventures range. They're set up in a similar fashion to the modern television show with season long arcs and greater emphasis on the companion's growth as a character and the odd nature of their travels with the Doctor and how it affects them. After The War makes some good suggestions too - I think their suggestions and mine offer you some good jumping off points - the Eighth Doctor Adventures run for 4 "seasons" before shifting into the big Dark Eyes and Doom Coalition storylines which I'm yet to listen to but I've heard are excellent.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that there's a fairly infamous stretch of pretty bad audios after Scherzo in the earlier 8th Doctor stuff. Blood of the Daleks would be a good jumping-on point too since it require any prior knowledge and starts up a new arc with a new companion. Human Resources is pretty amazing too. :allears:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Johnny Depp

I'm still really baffled by that casting choice.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The_Doctor posted:

Huh, to make the Eddie Redmayne/11th Doctor even weirder, Rory is going to be Dumbledore in Fantastic Beasts 2.

Link? All I'm seeing is him back in November saying he wants to play him.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Link? All I'm seeing is him back in November saying he wants to play him.

Hmm, I'm trying to find the link I saw on Facebook, and now I can't. Maybe I misread it? I remember thinking it felt like an odd choice considering Johnny Depp's casting.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't actually seen Fantastic Beasts. It seemed like a "wait for the DVD" movie to me. Was it any good?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't actually seen Fantastic Beasts. It seemed like a "wait for the DVD" movie to me. Was it any good?

It was slow to start, but picked up once they started actually getting to some "fantastic beasts". It was at times rather dark, but overall enjoyable. That being said, you're fine waiting for DVD.

I mostly enjoyed the world they "created". (Yes, I know it's an existing world, but I mean the American wizarding community, wondering wtf is going on in Europe with that Grindlewald guy.)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's very watchable, but personally I just found it okay. Not good, not bad, just, sorta there.
Eddie Redmayne mumbles his way through the dialogue, and the two running storylines are clumsily tied together at the end, but it's got some nice ideas and visuals, and echoing thrawn527, the expansion of the Harry Potter setting is pretty neat.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Agreeing with Jerusalem and others for their recommandation of of the Eighth and Fourth Doctor series, if you're specifically after serialised story arc type things. Or even the War Doctor boxsets. That said the main range does has shorter arcs, of which there's quite a few. For individual starter stories for each Doctor, I'd recommend;

Fourth - The Renaissance Man
Fifth - Spare Parts
Sixth - The Marion Conspiracy
Seventh - Colditz
Eight - Seasons of Fear

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 7, 2017

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I don't think Seasons of Fear or Colditz are good starts because there's a few excellent stories just before (Invaders from Mars and Chimes of Midnight for 8, The Fearmonger for 7).

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

cargohills posted:

I don't think Seasons of Fear or Colditz are good starts because there's a few excellent stories just before (Invaders from Mars and Chimes of Midnight for 8, The Fearmonger for 7).

I haven't listened to The Fearmonger, yet - so can't comment.
I didn't personally like Invaders From Mars, great idea, I just didn't like the execution, and while Chimes of Midnight is great, I think it benefits more from the build up and getting to know Charley. Subjective tastes, of course.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Cleretic posted:

A thoughtful and comprehensive reply

Thank you. It all evened out for me in the end; I got over it and enjoyed the story overall. They did try to address it at the end with her little "you move on" speech but it felt tacked on so you're right about them being bad at it.

Of course, if they'd done more I'd probably be complaining her emotions were overwrought. Like I did in series 8, IIRC.

Thought it was funny that the Fisher King had a credit just for his scream apart from voice and physical rolls.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

I mostly enjoyed the world they "created". (Yes, I know it's an existing world, but I mean the American wizarding community, wondering wtf is going on in Europe with that Grindlewald guy.)

Sounds cool to me. See, I love pulps and I love stuff that homages or pastiches that style (e.g. Indiana Jones, Rocketeer, most of Kim Newman's novels) so the wizarding community in America in the 1930s sounds like it would be right up my alley.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sounds cool to me. See, I love pulps and I love stuff that homages or pastiches that style (e.g. Indiana Jones, Rocketeer, most of Kim Newman's novels) so the wizarding community in America in the 1930s sounds like it would be right up my alley.

In that case, there's a goblin gangster who runs a speakeasy, and he's voiced by Ron Perlman. You should be just fine.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

I haven't listened to The Fearmonger, yet - so can't comment.

It feels like a natural continuation of McCoy's final televised season and I really liked it, it remains one of my favorite McCoy audios.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's worth seeing for the set design, props and wardrobe. As others have said it's great to see an expansion of the Harry Potter world, specifically the American side of things (there is a great bit where they discuss the best school for Magic in the world). But Eddie Redmayne seems to be phoning it in with an 11th Doctor impersonation, the creepy hosed up family don't get elaborated on enough (and couldn't since they go to a way darker place than the movie could probably get away with) and it ultimately suffers the same fate as the last few Potter films - David Yates is a competent but utterly uninspiring director squandering a fantastic setting.

That said, the movie is designed for wide appeal which is part of the reason they make hundreds of millions of dollars at a bare minimum, and I imagine a darker and more adult story with a more challenging director would probably be a way better film that made less (but still lots of!) money.

Edit: All that said about David Yates, I can highly recommend the British TV series State of Play he directed, because it's excellent (don't watch the American movie version).

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Thanks for all the help! You all have given me a lot to look at. One last thing; looking at the Big Finish website, it seems most of the episodes are $9 for 60 minutes. Are there, I don't know, cheaper ways to get it? Like, used CDs and stuff? Cause that's a lot for a little.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Thanks for all the help! You all have given me a lot to look at. One last thing; looking at the Big Finish website, it seems most of the episodes are $9 for 60 minutes. Are there, I don't know, cheaper ways to get it? Like, used CDs and stuff? Cause that's a lot for a little.

Their page is legendarily awful. Go here, it will list the first 50, which are all $3/each.

https://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/released_reverse/monthly-series

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I own all of the first 100 main range releases and probably 60-70% of the second 100 and I've only paid full price for like.... 3 of them? The first 50 are permanently reduced in price and I think the second 50 are as well? Even if they're not, there are regularly themed sales where you can get digital downloads for cheap. Of course they get me in the end because I tend to buy their new release specials like The Diary of River Song, The War Doctor, The 10th Doctor Adventures, UNIT etc at full price.

The Big Finish App is also really loving good in terms of playback/managing your library. I used to manage all that manually and it's been a godsend.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: All that said about David Yates, I can highly recommend the British TV series State of Play he directed, because it's excellent (don't watch the American movie version).

I believe I watched that years ago. Is that the one with David Morrissey, John Simm, Bill Nighy, and pre-fame Kelly MacDonald and James McAvoy?

I always think of it as more of a Paul Abbott project since he wrote it and it's the writing where it shines.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe I watched that years ago. Is that the one with David Morrissey, John Simm, Bill Nighy, and pre-fame Kelly MacDonald and James McAvoy?

I always think of it as more of a Paul Abbott project since he wrote it and it's the writing where it shines.

Yeah credit should definitely go to Paul Abbott, but Yates direction was fine and is maybe a better look at the level he works best at.

I'd say Kelly MacDonald got famous for her part in Trainspotting back in the mid-90s though (Jesus Christ that movie is over 20 years old :stare:)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Haha, I completely forgot she was in Trainspotting. :D

I think her first big Hollywood role was No Country For Old Men, though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

cargohills posted:

Also, Colditz has famously terrible sound design.

If someone's looking to jump in of the seventh doctor stories, I'd suggest starting with The Harvest. The story's only solid (i.e. not spectacular) but the arc it sets off is pretty good. (Until Big Finish decided to really milk it).

Big Finish has a number of arcs, generally determined by whatever companion they're using, rather than what Doctor. There's also a tendency to cross over in a number of ways, and it's largely better to follow the series in release order rather than following the arc of a single Doctor.

The Fourth Doctor stories are largely the exception to this, in that there's barely anything approaching an arc throughout, and there's nothing that really stands out. Just pick whatever generally appeals, based on the blurbs, and avoid the Season 4 and 5 finales. (I think Night Of The Stormcrow is probably their best story, though).

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The BBC have sent out a survey about The Power of the Daleks and one of the questions is about future animations. Could suggest they're seriously thinking about doing more. I sure hope so.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

cargohills posted:

The BBC have sent out a survey about The Power of the Daleks and one of the questions is about future animations. Could suggest they're seriously thinking about doing more. I sure hope so.

EVIL OF THE DALEKS NEXT :byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Apologies for phone screenshot...BUT BIG FINISH IS DOING 9 AND 11 STORIES!!!!!

Edit: okay, more info: Nick Briggs is doing narration and the voice of all the Doctors. Camille and Bruno are back as Jackie and Adam for the 9 story, and that one is written by the same guy who did the recent 9th doctor comics.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 10, 2017

• Locked thread