Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Action Tortoise posted:

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided:

- Stealth has feedback issues. The original DX had janky stealth, but that was built on the Unreal 1 engine and already dated when it came out. This is a game that had a budget behind it and it shows, but I can never tell if takedowns are supposed to emit sound and how much sound depending on a handful of factors. I'm assuming buying the upgrade that shows how loud I walk would help, but I didn't prioritize it on my shopping list. Sometimes I'll tranq a guy and they'll go down without any alerts popped and then sometimes I'll tranq someone the exact same way but it triggers an alert. And the shifts between alert stages can be delayed so I won't know if I alerted someone until I see the rader say update.
I knocked one guy out first try, no problems, carried on and died shortly after. So I reloaded and tried to do the same thing. Noticed instantly. Tried a dozen times and I could not replicate that first attempt, I'd either be seen by the dude or the nearby camera no matter what I tried. :iiam:

Action Tortoise posted:

- I feel like hacking has waaaaay too many nodes in the Upgrade Tab. All of those options could have been one big upgrade tree.
Hacking was already a tedious nuisance in Human Revolution, and they decided to make it more complex and annoying. :psyduck:

Also, maybe it gets more useful later, but so far I've found absolutely no use for the remote hacking aug. I can turn on and off TVs and radios and that's about it. It's cool, but seems like a waste of praxis.

Other issues: I have no idea how energy regeneration works. Like, I'll notice that my energy is low, and then I'll look away from it for a bit and it seems to have gone back up again, but I've never seen it actually going up. And my computer doesn't run the game very well. That's not so much an issue with the game as me having an old computer, but I don't really notice any improvement that would justify the increased hardware requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

I was about to say this as well, most of the bonuses are either minimal to the point of just being little novelty boosts, or you have poo poo like the NZ biker gang outfit that bumps up your melee damage by like a big ole rear end 40% and then you're slaughtering dudes too easily. Better to just dress to your mood for how you wanna kung fu assholes moment to moment.

AHAHAHA look at this guy who doesn't rock the drunken master costume all the time. Its the best costume in the game since when you get face/super meter you go all Jackie Chan on fools. Like it literally changes all of your attack animations to drunken boxing while face is active.

Its the only essential dlc next to the story ones.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

MrJacobs posted:

AHAHAHA look at this guy who doesn't rock the drunken master costume all the time. Its the best costume in the game since when you get face/super meter you go all Jackie Chan on fools. Like it literally changes all of your attack animations to drunken boxing while face is active.

Its the only essential dlc next to the story ones.

Well yeah, drunken master being rad as hell is just a given :colbert:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Tiggum posted:

Other issues: I have no idea how energy regeneration works. Like, I'll notice that my energy is low, and then I'll look away from it for a bit and it seems to have gone back up again, but I've never seen it actually going up. And my computer doesn't run the game very well. That's not so much an issue with the game as me having an old computer, but I don't really notice any improvement that would justify the increased hardware requirements.

Yeah, that too. I thought when I upgraded the battery life that it would increase the amount that regenerated every time, but it stayed at the same minimum level except when it didn't.

And I don't mind if they wanna make hacking a really complicated minigame, but I think it's weird that it takes three separate branches of upgrades intead of just being one large branching subset, where other abilities wind up severly truncated. Hell, legs are just 'Run slightly faster, jump a liiiiiittle bit higher' and then 'turn on leg mufflers.'

Another thing that's a story conceit that I think the game kneecaps itself is Adam is special among the augs for his body never rejecting augmentations, thus removing the need for Neuropozyne. Like on one hand, if they did make it necessary for you to take it could be a chronic annoyance that gets in the way of gameplay like malaria in Far Cry 2, but I think it's a rule in the world the writers have established and then handwaved for the player because they didn't wanna fully commit to that concept if it inconvenienced players.

I'm not saying they should have imposed Neuropozyne dependency on the player; I just think they made it a little harder for the player to get into the main character's head when he's got all the benefits of being augmented but none of the deficiencies that would temper the power creep.

Adam's has no real need to feel empathy with his peers when he doesn't have to live in fear that he might suffer transplant rejection, and the sad fact that it would be the least of his problems in that setting.

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 11:41 on Feb 7, 2017

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I don't think I made it clear how badly the game kneecaps itself on that core concept the writers have established for that setting:

If you look at the description for Neuropozyne in Mankind Divided, its entry in the 'Functions' section more or less reads 'this item has virtually no use to you and should be sold for monetary gain.'

It's life-saving medicine for augmented people worldwide but to you - the Robo-Ubermensch - it's loving vendor trash.

http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Neuropozyne'

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'm enjoying Digimon World: Next Order a lot still but the sheer amount of grinding the game demands you do is a little daunting, you'll need to live in the Training Dojo for a long time to get your stats high enough for later areas, of course your Digimon only have a limited lifespan before they die and are reborn so you better make drat sure you progress in later areas before one of your partners dies or welp.

On average, Digimon live for about 13-15 days, up to 20 if you get them to Mega level, and that's a big if as boy do Megas have some strict requirements, and even if you have 2 Megas there's a good chance you'll be stomped by the trash mobs still if you neglect your stat training in the Dojo.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Other issues: I have no idea how energy regeneration works. Like, I'll notice that my energy is low, and then I'll look away from it for a bit and it seems to have gone back up again, but I've had never seen it actually going up.
Every power has an activation cost (which is permanent) and a running cost (which slowly regenerates when you switch the power off). You also have a little stub of energy that will always regenerate.

It punishes you for playing like you did in Human Revolution, where quickly toggling your powers on and off was the most energy efficient strategy, and where energy restoring protein bars were more valuable than gold. Like everything else in Mankind Divided, it tries to fix the problems of its predecessor by becoming more fussy and overcomplicated.

Also: I've been playing Star Trek Online lately and holy Christ, is there any mission that isn't a direct sequel to some obscure crap from the TV shows? Do the writers ever come up with anything new?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I went from PS2 to Xbox 360 so I'm making up for it now by playing through God of War III HD.

I'm not a huge fan of QTEs, but having the prompt show on the screen in the same layout as the buttons is great. I.e. x is shown on the bottom half, triangle top half, etc. But the prompt for holding down both triggers down to charge shows them being pressed rhythmically. Almost all the others are either single presses or belting them like Mario Party. Thankfully it doesn't fail you like the other QTEs.

Zsnes now give you directions for the buttons (a,b,x and y) when you program the gamepad which is good.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

poptart_fairy posted:

Your first response was to screech that advice did "jack poo poo" and you haven't done anything further to explain what your actual problem is. Not that unfair to assume you're bad, tbh.

Yes dude, my response was screeching. Shut up poptart_fairy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yes dude, my response was screeching. Shut up poptart_fairy.

poptart_fairy posted:

You can counter other enemies while using beatdown, and armour doesn't stop takedowns.

OldTennisCourt posted:

That changes jack poo poo. I'm still getting loving mobbed, I'm still forced to listen to the single worst loving British accent in recorded history, I've got knife guys absolutely annihilating me, I've got those box throwing dickheads hitting me when I'm at least 2 meters away from where they land and it takes three loving tried to take one armor guy out.

It's a HORRIFIC design decision, like I'm flabbergasted at who on earth thought that was a good idea.

Have you perhaps considered taking the advice and acting on it rather than shouting at the people attempting to help.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Perhaps the thing dragging this game down...is you.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Tennis Court you mother fucker you made me agree with Poptart Fairy and that is drat inexcusable.

The beatdown is like the most useful move in the game once you realize You can counterattack out of it and then immediately resume it; it's my go-to attack for if I need to think and I'm not confident about my dodging skills.

Something actually annoying about Origins is, as has been mentioned, it's shakier combat; City just feels more polished, my performance is notably worse in Origins which makes no sense when they're effectively the same system, but even if you don't believe me when I say I r gud at vidcons, I've seen that enemies occasionally don't get counter popups in the normal game modes, which is pretty clearly broken.

Note that my game is not fully patched due to stupid reasons so they may have tightened all this poo poo up a year or two later for all I know but it shipped with this stuff at least.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Seriously who gave this a seal of approval?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Action Tortoise posted:

Another thing that's a story conceit that I think the game kneecaps itself is Adam is special among the augs for his body never rejecting augmentations, thus removing the need for Neuropozyne. Like on one hand, if they did make it necessary for you to take it could be a chronic annoyance that gets in the way of gameplay like malaria in Far Cry 2, but I think it's a rule in the world the writers have established and then handwaved for the player because they didn't wanna fully commit to that concept if it inconvenienced players.
I get what you're saying, but it's a major story element in Human Revolution that they're kind of stuck with in Mankind Divided. It did seem like a huge wasted opportunity though that Adam hasn't taken up his employer's offer of free Neuropozyne, because he could have been taking that to either sell it or give away. Selling it would kind of make him an arsehole, but at least someone would end up getting it on the black market, whereas just ignoring it kind of makes him even more of an arsehole because he's not even profiting, he's just too lazy to help anyone.

The real thing the writers seem to have dropped the ball on though is the aug/non-aug segregation stuff. Like, I tried waiting in line to go through the aug checkpoint only to realise that the game just did not account for you doing that and the queue never moves, you just have to go through the non-aug checkpoint because apparently you can do that for some reason. I guess I wasn't paying attention when the game mentioned that Adam has a special pass for skipping queues or whatever?

Inferior posted:

Every power has an activation cost (which is permanent) and a running cost (which slowly regenerates when you switch the power off). You also have a little stub of energy that will always regenerate.
See, it says that, but that "permanent" cost also regenerates, just in a way that I can't figure out.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Also, maybe it gets more useful later, but so far I've found absolutely no use for the remote hacking aug. I can turn on and off TVs and radios and that's about it. It's cool, but seems like a waste of praxis.

You can also use it to open up security shutters on some windows, awnings above shops, ladders and laser security grids which can all open up new routes for you. I think switching tvs on/off can act as a distraction too.

The biggest use I've gotten out of it is the ability to temporarily shut off cameras, turrets and drones. Its only for 30 seconds at a time but that's normally enough time to punch out the guard and drag him out of sight.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Did the new Dues Ex game manage to fix the whole boss issue? The last one felt like they crowbarred them in?

So, Fallout 4. It didn't give me too much trouble, but drat The Mirelurk Queen seems like waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too strong to be that early in the game. I had to cheese the thing by hiding in the castle walls and taking potshots and relying on the team to take her out.

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 16:06 on Feb 7, 2017

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Tiggum posted:

I get what you're saying, but it's a major story element in Human Revolution that they're kind of stuck with in Mankind Divided. It did seem like a huge wasted opportunity though that Adam hasn't taken up his employer's offer of free Neuropozyne, because he could have been taking that to either sell it or give away. Selling it would kind of make him an arsehole, but at least someone would end up getting it on the black market, whereas just ignoring it kind of makes him even more of an arsehole because he's not even profiting, he's just too lazy to help anyone.

The real thing the writers seem to have dropped the ball on though is the aug/non-aug segregation stuff. Like, I tried waiting in line to go through the aug checkpoint only to realise that the game just did not account for you doing that and the queue never moves, you just have to go through the non-aug checkpoint because apparently you can do that for some reason. I guess I wasn't paying attention when the game mentioned that Adam has a special pass for skipping queues or whatever?

See, it says that, but that "permanent" cost also regenerates, just in a way that I can't figure out.

The 'Aug Lives Matter'/ 'Augpartheid' stuff has been talked to death over the game so I won't bother covering it, especially since I don't feel like I know enough to argue about those comparisons.

I get that Adam's super Aug-friendly body is a carry over from the previous game, but they really shouldn't have highlighted it's narrative dissonance so badly as they did in this game.

It's really just the description of the item devaluing it for the player that sabotages its plot importance for me.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Len posted:

I made you a thing. Not to help just to commiserate that grenades are weird in XCOM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vm3wvr9Vj8

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Can you both take your dumb baby slapfight to the dumpster where it belongs?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Am finally sitting down to play The Last Guardian and like a quarter of the screen is taken up obnoxious tips on which button to press - and there's no way to turn them off that I can see.

I've been playing the game for an hour I know what button loving 'JUMP' is.

Please tell me they go away - it's really killing the chilled out vibe.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Feonir posted:

I made you a thing. Not to help just to commiserate that grenades are weird in XCOM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vm3wvr9Vj8

Honestly, the system being bugged about as often as it wigs out is what makes it for me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
XCOM cursor stuff is why I basically only play those with a controller now. It just works way better having something that snaps to the tile.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Len posted:

Oh I found your problem with grenades (I didn't see the image before). They changed it from XCOM 1, it's not pixel-based but grid-based, stop trying.

There's a mod that change it back, though.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I'm enjoying FF15 but the combat can be a bit of a pain.

The targeting is fairly garbage, locking on to a particular target is fiddly as gently caress and when you get a target knocked down in the "vulnerable" state it seems to immediately autoswitch to another target rather than just keep you locked on the downed target so that you can kick lumps out of them.

Also, when you hide behind something to regain HP, your AI team-mates just stop fighting and stand beside you doing nothing like morons. Plus they stink at helping you get back from the "dead but shambling around" state. You can walk right up to them and they'll do nothing for like 10 seconds and you'll end up getting properly killed so you have to use a Phoenix Down.

Really glaringly bad stuff.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

muscles like this! posted:

The thing dragging down Soma is the monsters which can kill you. They just feel completely out of place in the story.

I do agree with this, but I do think the game needed SOMEthing to mark it as a game and not a walking simulator a la Gone Home and Everybody's Gone To Rapture.
I think puzzles and horror slot together quite well personally but I think they needed to force some kind of danger in there to keep you freaked out amidst the moral dilemmas.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been enjoying it, but as of story mission 45 or so God Eater 2 starts getting really repetitive. It feels like a long time since a new enemy was introduced, and I do not count the Yuan Chi/specially pallete swapped enemies as new enemies, just more of a pain in the rear end than the original versions. I'm finally able to make stronger weapons but the larger enemies still feel like they are taking too long to kill, and considering the PS4 version has, like 162 levels that is pretty daunting.

I've played long games before, like Personas 3 and 4 and FF games, but I think the difference is that I knew early what they were building to, what the overarching mystery was, eg who is throwing people into TVs and how will the hero beat the empire. God Eater is "Fight some random monsters then maybe someone learns a new skill", and it doesn't feel like I have any idea what it's building to yet, which in a game that I have been playing for about a week now is pretty ridiculous.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:00 on Feb 7, 2017

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Action Tortoise posted:

It's really just the description of the item devaluing it for the player that sabotages its plot importance for me.

I haven't played Mankind Divided but surely that's a callback to the original, where the entire early game centered around Ambrosia, and if you managed to acquire and use a dose it just told you it did nothing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I've been enjoying it, but as of story mission 45 or so God Eater 2 starts getting really repetitive. It feels like a long time since a new enemy was introduced, and I do not count the Yuan Chi/specially pallete swapped enemies as new enemies, just more of a pain in the rear end than the original versions. I'm finally able to make stronger weapons but the larger enemies still feel like they are taking too long to kill, and considering the PS4 version has, like 162 levels that is pretty daunting.

I've played long games before, like Personas 3 and 4 and FF games, but I think the difference is that I knew early what they were building to, what the overarching mystery was, eg who is throwing people into TVs and how will the hero beat the empire. God Eater is "Fight some random monsters then maybe someone learns a new skill", and it doesn't feel like I have any idea what it's building to yet, which in a game that I have been playing for about a week now is pretty ridiculous.

Same, but 1 hour in. With this, Tales of Vesperia and the re-release of Disgaea 2 I feel like I've more than had my fill of JRPG's that somehow manage to both have an uninteresting combat system and also no real narrative. I guess Dragon's Dogma also sorta fits into it. I just don't get what is supposed to make these games appealing if you're not a super big fan of grinding. They're so repetitive.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

OldTennisCourt posted:

Did the new Dues Ex game manage to fix the whole boss issue? The last one felt like they crowbarred them in?

There's a single "proper" boss encounter and he's laid out with a single punch or can be instantly killed with an item found earlier in the game. Not perfect by any means, but far better in execution.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Inferior posted:

Also: I've been playing Star Trek Online lately and holy Christ, is there any mission that isn't a direct sequel to some obscure crap from the TV shows? Do the writers ever come up with anything new?

IIRC that was actually an unofficial selling point, that ST:O was a direct continuation of the old series that the Abramsverse abandoned. I personally can't care less about the storyline (I'm a Warham myself) so long as I get to pewpew and play Space Barbie, but I do know a lot of Trekkies both casual and hardcore who actually appreciated all the nods to the original universe, no matter where and when they came into it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

MiddleOne posted:

Same, but 1 hour in. With this, Tales of Vesperia and the re-release of Disgaea 2 I feel like I've more than had my fill of JRPG's that somehow manage to both have an uninteresting combat system and also no real narrative. I guess Dragon's Dogma also sorta fits into it. I just don't get what is supposed to make these games appealing if you're not a super big fan of grinding. They're so repetitive.

It wouldn't be so bad but by thje quarter mark most games at least have a cutscene introducing the basic concept of what your fighting, like you get a glimpse of some big bad monster. It almost had that with the Cesar/Monster that killed Lisa but when that died all overarching plot went with it. Unless something new and unique shows up it's run out of ways to grab me. All I know is there is a disease that turns people into those monsters, and a secondary illness called the black plague, but there is no real backstory. No mythological figure, or ancient war, or deranged geneticist. Just nature. It's too big and too vague. FF15 had the disease but it also had a villain from early on.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:57 on Feb 7, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

MiddleOne posted:

I can understands a lot of complaints about Dragon's Dogma, but 'uninteresting combat system' is bizarre :psyduck:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Pocket Billiards posted:

I went from PS2 to Xbox 360 so I'm making up for it now by playing through God of War III HD.

I'm not a huge fan of QTEs, but having the prompt show on the screen in the same layout as the buttons is great. I.e. x is shown on the bottom half, triangle top half, etc. But the prompt for holding down both triggers down to charge shows them being pressed rhythmically. Almost all the others are either single presses or belting them like Mario Party. Thankfully it doesn't fail you like the other QTEs.

Zsnes now give you directions for the buttons (a,b,x and y) when you program the gamepad which is good.

For what it's worth in God of War, button prompts are usually the same button you would use otherwise in gameplay. So if it's a segment involving a lot of movement you're going to be hitting the jump button, if it's a section where you're killing a dude you're going to be hitting the light and heavy attack buttons and maybe some grapple. It's one thing I really like about that series' QTEs. The buttons aren't usually just random poo poo and it's kind of neat that when they want Kratos to punch a dude's skull in, you're going to do with with the same button you mash to stab monsters to death.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I can understands a lot of complaints about Dragon's Dogma, but 'uninteresting combat system' is bizarre :psyduck:

Maybe he's trying to play as a mage and hasn't unlocked good spells yet?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Jukebox Hero posted:

Tennis Court you mother fucker you made me agree with Poptart Fairy and that is drat inexcusable.

The beatdown is like the most useful move in the game once you realize You can counterattack out of it and then immediately resume it; it's my go-to attack for if I need to think and I'm not confident about my dodging skills.

Something actually annoying about Origins is, as has been mentioned, it's shakier combat; City just feels more polished, my performance is notably worse in Origins which makes no sense when they're effectively the same system, but even if you don't believe me when I say I r gud at vidcons, I've seen that enemies occasionally don't get counter popups in the normal game modes, which is pretty clearly broken.

Note that my game is not fully patched due to stupid reasons so they may have tightened all this poo poo up a year or two later for all I know but it shipped with this stuff at least.

Yeah Origins combat system is way shittier. I love the hell out of Cities, I bought all the DLC and would play endless combat mode quite often, every mistake you make is your own, not the games. Origins was way sloppier with counters not registering in time, heavy enemies looking just like regular enemies, your moves not prioritizing against the proper enemies correctly, the timing of many of your moves slowed down or made interruptible, and a host of other small annoyances that add up to a collective butthole.

Cities combat is basically perfect though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

It was super interesting until I realized that levels were really all that mattered. If it had been less-RPG and more action on the numerical side of things it would have worked much better. Instead, the answer to any difficult encounter is 'go level up'. Enemies should never ever be brick walls with HP-bars you can barely scratch in an action-game.

MiddleOne has a new favorite as of 01:05 on Feb 8, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

It was super interesting until I realized that levels were really all that mattered. If it had been less-RPG and more action on the numerical side of things it would have worked much better. Instead, the answer to any difficult encounter is 'go level up'. Enemies should never ever be brick walls in an action-RPG.
No they don't, you're bad at the game. Your choice of pawns, your access to elements, your understanding of enemy behaviors all have a way higher impact. If you need proof, head up the hill not far past the first fort, the one where the boulder drops down on you. The sword-and-shield bandits there are about level 40. Way higher than everything else you can encounter at that point. They kick the poo poo out of new players. Why are they there? To teach you that leveling isn't everything. Leveling matters mostly because leveling your jobs gives you access to new abilities. The actual stat impact of leveling is pretty minimal.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

No they don't, you're bad at the game. Your choice of pawns, your access to elements, your understanding of enemy behaviors all have a way higher impact. If you need proof, head up the hill not far past the first fort, the one where the boulder drops down on you. The sword-and-shield bandits there are about level 40. Way higher than everything else you can encounter at that point. They kick the poo poo out of new players. Why are they there? To teach you that leveling isn't everything. Leveling matters mostly because leveling your jobs gives you access to new abilities. The actual stat impact of leveling is pretty minimal.

I killed those bandit dudes at my third try and that wasn't even when I gave up on the game. Encounters like those where you do barely any damage and yourself die in one hit are just not interesting. A game like Fallout New Vegas communicates when enemies in the open-world should be avoided but in Dogma it's just completely arbitrary. You'll kill some wolfs in one area, walk 10 minutes along the road and meet a slightly tinted differently wolf that takes barely any damage. Then you come back an hour later and they die in one hit.

It's bad.

MiddleOne has a new favorite as of 01:10 on Feb 8, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I could never get too far into God Eater since it always somehow managed to feel much grindier than Monster Hunter.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

food court bailiff posted:

I haven't played Mankind Divided but surely that's a callback to the original, where the entire early game centered around Ambrosia, and if you managed to acquire and use a dose it just told you it did nothing.

Most likely. This game leans on references to the older series a lot more than Human Revolution.

I know it feels like I'm making GBS threads hard on the game, but I'm really enjoying the setting and I love trying to find different approaches to situations. There's a potential Speech Fight early in the game and I just bypassed all that poo poo with a well-placed gas grenade. It's those moments when I can gently caress around and the game is cool with it that remind me so much of the original. Last night I just realized I could move sentry guns so I decided to park it in the corner of a room and severly reduce its LoS. I wanna chalk that up as a good thing, but I also remember almost triggering alerts the next room over and I'm not sure if the turret's LoS bugged through the walls.