Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

feedmyleg posted:

That looks awful. Just awful. Like a TBS version of Batman Begins.

Why are these shows so afraid of being big and weird? The whole thing is science-fiction, embrace it.

It comes out on St. Patrick's day so at least I'll be far too drunk to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I just want to see a man punch a dragon in the heart, is that so much to ask?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That looks great. And I think they want the supernatural stuff to be a surprise in the story, judging by Madame Gao being there.

Gonna be some sweet fight scenes.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I've not been expecting much of Iron Fist and that trailer looks like it'll pretty much just confirm that. Hope I'm wrong.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Honestly with DD S2 and Cage having great trailers, I'm not all in on Iron Fist right now since those ended up being average at best. And in Cage's later half, actively bad. I sure hope I'm wrong.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Danny always was kind of goofy so this trailer works for me, although I'm also the guy that liked the Hand and hated Punisher (to be fair, the only time I've liked the Punisher is any of the three movies) in DD season 2.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Definitely seems like the weakest of the bunch, and nothing very interesting thematically. I'm predicting a bunch of fun fight scenes that get very repetitive over 13 not-especially-well-written episodes.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I wonder if we'll get five episodes of Danny powering up to defeat the villain and then Goku comes in at the end and spirit bombs the whole thing anyway

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Why are these shows so afraid of being big and weird? The whole thing is science-fiction, embrace it.

They're trying to be more grounded than the rest of the general MCU. It's far from awful but how much weirder does a kung fu man with a glowing fist who can ground pound you off your feet need to be?

Especially considering the three Defenders that have come before him he seems to be one of the wierder ones.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gorilla Salad posted:

I just want to see a man punch a dragon in the heart, is that so much to ask?

As much as we all want to see a man punch a dragon in the heart, my greatest fear is that his chest mark is a tattoo and not the consequences of hugging a dragon real tight.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

They're trying to be more grounded than the rest of the general MCU. It's far from awful but how much weirder does a kung fu man with a glowing fist who can ground pound you off your feet need to be?

Especially considering the three Defenders that have come before him he seems to be one of the wierder ones.

Maybe he could fight ninjas instead of street thugs? The ninja fight in Daredevil was easily its best, I wanted them to go further into that, not forget that stuff existed. Hell, when the 30 year old parodies of your characters (Ninja Turtles) contain those elements that you're scared of showing, you know you've made a bland adaptation.

Then again, I want this to go full Big Trouble in Little China, so maybe it's just not for me.

e: I mean, I'd even settle for Kung-Fu.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 8, 2017

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Maybe he could fight ninjas instead of street thugs? The ninja fight in Daredevil was easily its best, I wanted them to go further into that, not forget that stuff existed. Hell, when the 30 year old parodies of your characters (Ninja Turtles) contain those elements that you're scared of showing, you know you've made a bland adaptation.

Then again, I want this to go full Big Trouble in Little China, so maybe it's just not for me.

e: I mean, I'd even settle for Kung-Fu.

It looks like he's going to be trying to dislodge the Hand from within Rand Corp so he'll definitely be fighting ninjas.

And who knows maybe the closer to The Defenders we get the crazier poo poo will become. If DD Season 2 or Luke Cage is any indication it certainly seems like a natural trajectory for these Netflix super hero shows to gradually increase the insanity of what these street level hereos have to contend with.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
One more thing about the Iron Fist promo:

If you have curly hair you can't be a badass.

I'm sorry, but it's just a fact.

Really, just look at this man's hair:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 8, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's been bugging me since the first teaser shot.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've been kinda worried about this since I saw that preview footage at NYCC

But hey, the fights look cool

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorilla Salad posted:

Holy poo poo, racist.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Gorilla Salad posted:

Tell that to Coffy..

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Haters will hate but I thought it looked great and I'm excited for it! Come on Danny Rand! Get your company back from its evil CEO!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Clearly you are wrong :smug:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

One thing I will say is that if they actually lean into the goofiness this could be amazing, but what I've seen has been played totally straight so I'm skeptical. Not sold on Finn Jones in the dramatic scenes from what I've witnessed (he sells the comedy though) and the business stuff doesn't seem all that compelling. The villain probably won't be super interesting but he does seem like the right kind of over-the-top so I'll reserve judgment there.

Of course, this is all based on a few clips I watched four months ago, so take it with a grain of salt.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Arist posted:

One thing I will say is that if they actually lean into the goofiness this could be amazing, but what I've seen has been played totally straight so I'm skeptical. Not sold on Finn Jones in the dramatic scenes from what I've witnessed (he sells the comedy though) and the business stuff doesn't seem all that compelling. The villain probably won't be super interesting but he does seem like the right kind of over-the-top so I'll reserve judgment there.

Of course, this is all based on a few clips I watched four months ago, so take it with a grain of salt.

I think so far they've only shown the villainous front man, with quick cuts of Madam Gao. She's obviously going to be the real head villain, and I assume Davos is gonna show up as the guy who will fail her for the last time in the season finale.

Meachum is probably going to turn out to be the same sad poo poo who Danny felt too much pity for to kill the comics. Probably via a different path than losing his legs to frostbite after killing Danny's family, but still a dude so sad Danny can't even hate his pathetic rear end anymore.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Still hoping for Madam Gao's boss to be Fu Manchu.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

feedmyleg posted:

Then again, I want this to go full Big Trouble in Little China
Oh my god, if only. :allears:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

David Wenham as the evil CEO type guy, gently caress yeah bring this on!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MonsieurChoc posted:

I would want that if only it meant that shang chi would show up

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

BSam posted:

David Wenham as the evil CEO type guy, gently caress yeah bring this on!

oh poo poo I knew he looked familiar

time for evil CEO type guy to show his quality

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

MonsieurChoc posted:

The first three books are in the Public Domain...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Every time comic book shows drift into magic ninja territory I start feeling like this entire Marvel-Netflix push was a mistake.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I'm sure the massive amount of money and exposure is a huge mistake.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm not talking revenue numbnuts.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Colleen Wing fight scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7o0jJzKiqQ

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, this was one of the scenes I saw earlier and while it's not as good as we've seen before I still enjoyed it. The bit where she headbutts the dude's fist got a great reaction.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

I'm not talking revenue numbnuts.

Daredevil has always had magical ninja as big story beats and Iron Fist is magical ninja kung fu man. What did you expect?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Daredevil has always had magical ninja as big story beats and Iron Fist is magical ninja kung fu man. What did you expect?

Something less tripe and uninteresting.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MiddleOne posted:

Something less tripe and uninteresting.

I'm not particularly excited for Iron Fist, but this is kind of dumb. It's all execution, dude.

And you pretty much can't tell some of these stories without that poo poo. If you expected something else that's kinda your fault.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There was a good show hidden in Daredevil season 2 but every time magical ninjas reared their ugly heads in they dragged the show straight down into the toilet. If the season would have cut everything related to the ninja-plotlines and focused exclusively on Frank Castle nothing would have been lost.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Weren't like, the only interesting things Iron Fist ever did (1) teaming up with Luke Cage and (2) fighting in an interdimensional martial arts tournament that led to the overthrow of the Kung Fu dimension's corrupt ruler? This corporate revenge/sinister ninjas angle just seems like it's straight adapting some boring comics.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Nobody knows who Iron Fist is you gotta ease into it a little bit.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Weren't like, the only interesting things Iron Fist ever did (1) teaming up with Luke Cage and (2) fighting in an interdimensional martial arts tournament that led to the overthrow of the Kung Fu dimension's corrupt ruler? This corporate revenge/sinister ninjas angle just seems like it's straight adapting some boring comics.

Or if they actually made The Hand threatening and massive. I know TV show budget stuff, but to me what makes The Hand a threatening organization isn't because they have the best assassins (though sometimes they hire someone who is pretty good) but just their sheer numbers. A few dozen guys will just swarm, out of nowhere. And when they go ghost up and you're loving exhausted and injured, 3 or 4 or 5 dozen more show up. But that isn't how The Hand is shown in DD S2. Instead, that final rooftop battle had...what, two dozen guys, if that? Between DD, Elektra, and Punisher, and Stick, that was a cakewalk and they were never in any real danger.

But thematically, I know that having a disposable ninja army might just be too similar to Disposable CGI Robot/Alien Army, so I don't know if The Hand was ever in a real position to succeed without it changing who they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I don't think 'yet another dude who punches people' is a concept that needs getting eased into at this point in comic book adaptations.