Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Either I'm having an extremely bad case of deja vu, or someone else (or you?) posted this with the exact same wording even.

I did in the penis thread, but I figured there wasn't as much of an overlap with the CE thread that a decent amount of people might not have seen it. More so because it's just really bizarre to see happening.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

oh thank god the toys will be okay :jerkbag:
Did shitposting Monday start yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

poo poo is extremely hosed up, might as well buy a gun.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Casimir Radon posted:

I wonder if Sheriff Joe is putting his self-propelled howitzer up for sale.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Casimir Radon posted:

A whole loving lot of my gay and trans friends have been buying guns and looking for help on what's good and where to get some good training but lol yeah why the poo poo would they ever need toys right

In happier news,

https://twitter.com/hateshaliek/status/829097929080123392

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Oh my loving god I can't wait to see the NRA come out full force to try and stop a reopening of the machine gun registry to protect their richer members' investments

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Shut the gently caress up about guns and take it to the gun thread.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sure would be nice if the court could wrap things up soonish. It's loving midnight here.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this bit, please.

* Jeff Sessions is Trump's nominee for Attorney General.

* As part of the confirmation hearing, that means the character and background of Jeff Sessions, nominee, is the topic of debate. That's the entire reason for the hearing, Senators are supposed to come out and say why a nominee is or is not a good person for the job.

* There is also a Senate rule (#19) that says senators cannot "directly or indirectly, by any form of words impute to another Senator or to other Senators any conduct or motive unworthy or unbecoming a Senator." The purpose of this being that Senators are supposed to debate the merits of the issue at hand, not attack each other.

* In this particular case though, the nominee that they are discussing is ALSO himself a Senator. So the Republicans have declared it off limits to say anything against his character, based on Rule #19.

* The end result is that the hearing can continue, but the Republicans have begun to officially punish anyone saying negative things about the person they're supposed to discuss the positive and negative points of.

Am I getting all of this right?

redneck nazgul posted:

You are correct.
drat. I was really hoping that I had a wildly stupid misconception of what was going on.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 8, 2017

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

You are correct. Our government is hosed.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nice meltdown

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Robot Hobo posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this bit, please.

* Jeff Sessions is Trump's nominee for Attorney General.

* As part of the confirmation hearing, that means the character and background of Jeff Sessions, nominee, is the topic of debate. That's the entire reason for the hearing, Senators are supposed to come out and say why a nominee is or is not a good person for the job.

* There is also a Senate rule (#19) that says senators cannot "directly or indirectly, by any form of words impute to another Senator or to other Senators any conduct or motive unworthy or unbecoming a Senator." The purpose of this being that Senators are supposed to debate the merits of the issue at hand, not attack each other.

* In this particular case though, the nominee that they are discussing is ALSO himself a Senator. So the Republicans have declared it off limits to say anything against his character, based on Rule #19.

* The end result is that the hearing can continue, but the Republicans have begun to officially punish anyone saying negative things about the person they're supposed to discuss the positive and negative points of.

Am I getting all of this right?

drat. I was really hoping that I had a wildly stupid misconception of what was going on.

Things like using procedure to shut up opponents is basically par for the Republican course right now. They are furiously attempting to manufacture ignorance about what Trump has done, is doing and will do so they can avoid their jobs of being the check and balance on a demagogic madman our constitution was designed for them to be. Turns out government doesn't work when one party decides tearing apart the institutions of the republic and looting the country is a higher priority than governing.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Failing "movie" "star" "Arnold" Schwarzenegger could have improved America big league, but went on Twitter instead. Sad!

Schwarzenegger jokes that he wanted to "smash" Trump's "face into a table"

quote:

Before the show started, Schwarzenegger said he wouldn’t vote for Mr. Trump. The president remembered and later criticized Schwarzenegger for lower show ratings and his job as governor.

The Men’s Journal article says Schwarzenegger weighed his options on how to respond.

Here’s how the magazine reports his train of thought:

“I called my assistant and said, ‘I think what we really should do is request a meeting and go back to New York.’ ” He pauses for maximum impact. “And then we just smash his face into the table.”

Schwarzenegger’s laugh fills the cafe like a small nuclear explosion. He rubs his massive hands together. “And then I think we can’t do that, either. I think I have to be above all of that and put him on the spot.” He wound up tweeting a reply: “There’s nothing more important than the people’s work. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you’ll work for ALL of the American people as aggressively as you worked for your ratings.”

Alexei Navalny: Russian opposition leader 'found guilty'

quote:

Russia's leading opposition leader, Alexei Navalny, has been found guilty of embezzlement, local media report.
A judge was still reading the verdict in the city of Kirov, but news agencies said it was clear in his remarks that Mr Navalny had been convicted.
Even a suspended sentence would bar the outspoken critic of President Putin from running for president next year.
Mr Navalny has denied the accusations, saying the case is politically motivated.
A sentence in the retrial may take hours to be read out. Prosecutors had asked the judge to hand Mr Navalny a five year suspended sentence.
The European Court of Human Rights ordered a retrial after it said he was not given a fair hearing in the first trial, in 2013.

A Handed Missus fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 8, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
This thread is the most depressing thread ever :(

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Go read the one in D&D then, those guys are suicidal.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Here's an interesting one: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/02/08/big-game-u-s-soldiers-secret-hunt-for-jihadists-in-a-kenyan-forest.html

SOCOM (and contractors) fighting al-shabaab in Kenya. Also, partner nations like UK, Israel, and Jordan helping out. Not going to cheer you up much though, TBeats, as there are allegations of human rights violations

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

TBeats posted:

This thread is the most depressing thread ever :(

just remember this great calamity can cause great fortune

more people are getting active and this is a mostly good thing

just see where this goes in 2 or 4 years

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Go read the one in D&D then, those guys are suicidal.

This is GiP

I like toys. Because I'm a hipster I would be fully into a rolling block (E: or falling block), but gently caress all chance getting a licence in aussie.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 8, 2017

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Third World Reggin posted:

just remember this great calamity can cause great fortune

more people are getting active and this is a mostly good thing

just see where this goes in 2 or 4 years

For some reason I thought the election in 2018 wasn't going to do much to change anything? Like the republicans who are up are from typically red States so there's not going to be huge swing I'm not sure though somebody could tell me I would appreciate it.

Also I'm really curious to see if the Democrats can preserve this momentum and actually do something with it

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The democrats getting small or large win in 2018 won't demoralize democrats. That is what is needed as a stepping stone for 2020.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I bet the democrats get taken over by silicon valley "liberals" and other mega donors and we fall further right. If people stay pissed off they might reform but the leadership seems staunchly opposed to that

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Fo3 posted:

This is GiP

I like toys. Because I'm a hipster I would be fully into a rolling block (E: or falling block), but gently caress all chance getting a licence in aussie.

Falling blocks have traditionally been bad news for Australians.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Yeah they're fighting pretty staunchly against anything moving the party economically left.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf-A7fQrm5o not sure how long this live stream is going but trump is speaking soon so watch it here for fun

or here for serious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WtUgU2SWSk

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

A Handed Missus posted:

Schwarzenegger’s laugh fills the cafe like a small nuclear explosion. He rubs his massive hands together.

I can see these two sentences just pissing Trump off to no end, maybe to the degree where he orchestrates a small nuclear explosion to incinerate Arnold's massive hands and low ratings.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Thought this was funny

https://twitter.com/mrbenwexler/status/828820081320816641

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
A celebrity show of 'can you beat Arnold in a thumb war'

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Rick Santorum is on CNN during coverage of Trump's speech to the Sheriffs Organization, and Rick is handwaving Trumps obvious lies with "That's just the way he is and he's just appealing to emtion"

gently caress you Rick, he's a pathological liar and you enable him.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Waroduce posted:

For some reason I thought the election in 2018 wasn't going to do much to change anything? Like the republicans who are up are from typically red States so there's not going to be huge swing I'm not sure though somebody could tell me I would appreciate it.

I think Democrats should work hard to get people who didn't vote for them to vote for them

imho

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Buca di Bepis posted:

I think Democrats should work hard to get people who didn't vote for them to vote for them

imho

This. And also start registering people to vote now.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

This. And also start registering people to vote now.

word is that liz warren just hired a nsa consultant and hey, shes finally getting started on her "im running for president" book.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Buca di Bepis posted:

imho

That would require most top level democrats to care about any one not on a coast and for local democrats to go out and vote in very single election, from school-board, dogcatcher, and local state level elections.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

The poo poo he's on about...incredible.

It's still a campaign speech. Scare the people with repetitive stats and promise you're gonna make it all better, without laying out any specifics. "What is going on in Chicago? What is going on there? It needs to stop. And it needs to stop nationally."

Then go off teleprompter and rant about how the wall is going to end crime and drug abuse.

"Just ask Israel about walls, do they work? They work. Believe me."

:cripes:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

BexGu posted:

That would require most top level democrats to care about any one not on a coast and for local democrats to go out and vote in very single election, from school-board, dogcatcher, and local state level elections.

Sounds like you have a goal to help work towards :buddy:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The poo poo he's on about...incredible.

It's still a campaign speech. Scare the people with repetitive stats and promise you're gonna make it all better, without laying out any specifics. "What is going on in Chicago? What is going on there? It needs to stop. And it needs to stop nationally."

Then go off teleprompter and rant about how the wall is going to end crime and drug abuse.

"Just ask Israel about walls, do they work? They work. Believe me."

:cripes:

Yeah man when I think "peace" I think "Israel"

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Sounds like you have a goal to help work towards :buddy:

God I hope so. The current crop of Clitonites has to go but I don't know which is harder to do: Remove top level neoliberals or get young people to care about local elections.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

suboptimal posted:

I can see these two sentences just pissing Trump off to no end, maybe to the degree where he orchestrates a small nuclear explosion to incinerate Arnold's massive hands and low ratings.

I'm just picturing Castle Bravo happening between Arnold's hands as he claps and I love it so much

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Baghdad Sean pulling a Kellyanne and making up terrorist attacks, this time citing an alternative fact attack in Atlanta

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

A Handed Missus posted:

I'm just picturing Castle Bravo happening between Arnold's hands as he claps and I love it so much

http://i.imgur.com/V4bA6II.mp4

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

BexGu posted:

Fortunately, that is something every candidate currently in the running for DNC chair has recognized. Elision in particular has been very vocal about needing to build the party from the bottom-up, but on the whole I think the party does recognize the need to completely revitalize state and local level organizations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
An interesting intervenor in support of the Trump administration's immigration lawsuit:

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.vaed.358386.45.0.pdf

Keep reading. It gets even better.

• Locked thread