Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, the IDW comics are their own things and are good (as of Phase 2). Just read them. The comics define their characters and you'll either like them or not, and if you don't, stop reading them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Honestly if you weren't into Transformers as a kid, you probably won't like it much as an adult. Which is fine.

I think there's a lot of things that are like that. Hell, even Star Wars is kinda like that, although I feel like those movies are universal enough that if you lived under a rock and hadn't seen them before, you might like them as an adult.

I'd say watch the '86 movie and if that doesn't float your boat, don't bother digging any deeper. I love Beast Wars, but I'll be honest with you and say it's a hard sell for the uninitiated because 90's CGI is ugly as hell. It also doesn't really get amazing until the second season, and it's also a direct sequel to G1 so it assumes you have some familiarity with that, too.

Overall, Transformers is typically kind of lovely but I love it because I watched the show when I was 4 years old.

I agree with most of this post but "Beast Wars has bad cgi" is like saying "Citizen Kane is in black and white, gross." No poo poo? Mediums change over time? It's still great, don't be a goofball.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I agree with most of this post but "Beast Wars has bad cgi" is like saying "Citizen Kane is in black and white, gross." No poo poo? Mediums change over time? It's still great, don't be a goofball.

Oh no, it's a good show and I don't mind the visuals, but the bad CGI being offputting is something I hear a lot from people.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Mostly it's that early cgi, much like early 3d games, age terribly poorly visually, unlike 2d stuff which (some) people still like.

Not a reason to dismiss beast wars however, no.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If you want to suffer then watch Beast Wars 2 as I recently did.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ah, yes, a toy commercial, the Citizen Kane of animation.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you really haven't seen any of transformers before, I'd recommend giving the very first episode of the original cartoon a watch, to give you a little background. There's some good mostly stand-alone stuff out there, but most of it is in one way or another designed to pander to children of the 80s.

The best bite-sized piece to get into the IDW world I'd recommend is the Windblade miniseries (the first one). Aside from that, the RiD and MtME comics back in 2012-2013 were pretty good, there were some good bits in the comics before that, but be warned, it could be dull at times. Infiltration might be another good introduction point if you want to try going all the way to the beginning of IDW; it really tries to ease the reader in. The wiki is a really good guide if you want to start going down that rabbit hole. And finally, if you want to get into a series that's currently running, the best one right now is Optimus Prime. Lost Light and Til All Are One are more reliant on previous series in the continuity.

Also, a large part of Transformers is still the toyline, so ordinarily I might recommend giving your local toy store a look see if you might be interested in some transforming robots, but right now most stores are sold out.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
If you have small children then there's always Rescue Bots. It's the longest-running Transformer cartoon ever, it's a got an award-winning MUSICAL episode, and has great writing with human characters that aren't annoying. The plots can be silly, but there's a lot of humor that adults will appreciate and there's been some crossover with the RID cartoon despite having no Decepticons.

Edit: Please Hasbro, make deluxe Rescue Bots figures, thank you

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It'll say this about Beast Wars' animation - while it's very dated, the characters at least have fluid movements and aren't stiff like a lot of bad CGI is. It looks better than say, something like Hoodwinked or Foodfight which came out years later.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THE EMMEFFER

JESUS H CHRIST

Oh my loving god....

What is that? 3rd party MP style Combaticons?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

Oh my loving god....

What is that? 3rd party MP style Combaticons?

It's a knock off over sized (KOOS) of the Warbotron Combaticons. And it was $95 for the entire set!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

It's a knock off over sized (KOOS) of the Warbotron Combaticons. And it was $95 for the entire set!

I need them... :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gonna be waiting til April if you want the cheap price. It's going for $140+ right now.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Gonna be waiting til April if you want the cheap price. It's going for $140+ right now.

Yeah I'm going to have to wait until after April. The wife and I have a vacation in April so most of our extra money is going towards that.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Dino-boobs are a bit much but it's nice to have a decent raptor to go with my dinobots.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

Dino-boobs are a bit much but it's nice to have a decent raptor to go with my dinobots.

clever girl

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

This is a good post.

Everybody remember what a good post looks like.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Vince MechMahon posted:

I think I'm going to attempt to start from the beginning with the comics. Are any of the animated series any good? drrockso20 said Animated was good, but the super mid 00's style art kind of rubs me the wrong way even from stills of it. But if it's well written and fun I could get past that.

Captain Invictus posted:

there's plenty of folks who don't know anything about transformers who have enjoyed the MTMTE/RID comics.

Yeah this. I'd watch the 1980's movie and maybe the first episode of the 1980's cartoon, but you can't approach this like another comic's continuity. The rest you have to decide if you like for yourself or not.

Almost every Transformers property is its own continuity, when they tie in it's like one or two references, and this poo poo has been going on THIRTY YEARS. Every Transformers story people like, they like on its own merits, except for the 1980's cartoon which is treated with a disturbing amount of reverence because the fans who grew up with it will pay any amount of money to replicate their childhoods and love any reference to it.

In terms of animated material, I don't think that you'll really get much out of the 1980's cartoon if you did not grow up with it unless you really end up liking Transformers. Beast Wars, Animated, and Prime are the three shows worth watching that have fans. This thread in particular hates Prime and loves Animated but almost anywhere else people have loved or at least liked Prime. You certainly can't complain about the animation. Animated I liked a lot less once I stopped defending it, though the thread still loves it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Ah, yes, a toy commercial, the Citizen Kane of animation.

Beast Wars is hardly Citizen Kane but it's the only Transformers show whose writers treated it like a science fiction series and their efforts showed

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Beast Wars is one of the best kids' shows, period, and it's a shame the animation has aged so poorly. The latter seasons definitely looked a lot better though, especially when it went from "animal inexplicably becomes robot with parts clipping through themselves" to "basically the toys as 3D models" which was later taken and somehow animated even WORSE like a decade later by the Unicron trilogy

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Tighclops posted:

Beast Wars is hardly Citizen Kane but it's the only Transformers show whose writers treated it like a science fiction series and their efforts showed

No it wasn't pure artistic expression unfettered by commercial interests and therefore it is bad, unlike my favorite tv show, uhhhhh.....hm.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Why cookie Rocket posted:

No it wasn't pure artistic expression unfettered by commercial interests and therefore it is bad, unlike my favorite tv show, uhhhhh.....hm.

:v:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Prime has easily the best animation of the Transformers adaptations, if not one of the best looking cgi of a TV show until possibly recently, and people still complained because TV show level cgi budget doesn't let them have a multitude of characters or occupied environments. Like, jeez, have a little imagination or something.

At the very least Undertale made a million+ dollars and it actually has pretty bad graphics, so that shows general audiences can have less than a billion dollars invested in just making something look pretty before they'll deign to allow themselves to be entertained by the substance of it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Beast Wars is one of the best kids' shows, period, and it's a shame the animation has aged so poorly. The latter seasons definitely looked a lot better though, especially when it went from "animal inexplicably becomes robot with parts clipping through themselves" to "basically the toys as 3D models" which was later taken and somehow animated even WORSE like a decade later by the Unicron trilogy

I'm still waiting for a Transformers cartoon to actually depict the robots as having shiny metallic parts like BW did, even if they couldn't render shadows until the last season

Actually no I'm not because I've sadly accepted that the circumstances that led to the Beast era TV shows no longer exist and it is unlikely that another series like that will ever be produced :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tighclops posted:

I'm still waiting for a Transformers cartoon to actually depict the robots as having shiny metallic parts like BW did, even if they couldn't render shadows until the last season

Actually no I'm not because I've sadly accepted that the circumstances that led to the Beast era TV shows no longer exist and it is unlikely that another series like that will ever be produced :(

No man don't you see? The lack of shadows is part of the artistic vision of the Citizen Kane of children's toy commercials.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I want some nice Insecticons to go with my MP and 3P guys. What am I looking for?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Prime has easily the best animation of the Transformers adaptations, if not one of the best looking cgi of a TV show until possibly recently, and people still complained because TV show level cgi budget doesn't let them have a multitude of characters or occupied environments. Like, jeez, have a little imagination or something.

At the very least Undertale made a million+ dollars and it actually has pretty bad graphics, so that shows general audiences can have less than a billion dollars invested in just making something look pretty before they'll deign to allow themselves to be entertained by the substance of it.

I mostly complained about Prime because nothing interesting happened in the whole first two seasons apart from the Unicron Earth Thing that they dropped immediately.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

I mostly complained about Prime because nothing interesting happened in the whole first two seasons apart from the Unicron Earth Thing that they dropped immediately.

I also got sick and tired of the drat kids. So annoying.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The kids were fine. Miko kicked rear end qnd Raf was endearing enough and Jack's mom, at least, was funny.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

I want some nice Insecticons to go with my MP and 3P guys. What am I looking for?
IMO FansToys has you covered:
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=FTS10015&mode=retail
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=FTS10013&mode=retail
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=FTS10020&mode=retail

They are awesome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jack's mom is probably the best human in all TF fiction.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

She's up there. Trollhunters plagiarized her outrageously.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

Jack's mom is probably the best human in all TF fiction.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I loving love you.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I loving love you.

He's a tall drink of water so there's a lot to love.

Now, am I talking about Fort Max or The_Doctor?!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ah, you guys :3:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Til All Are One dropped a little bombshell in that Carcer isn't really Carcer

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

History Comes Inside! posted:

That looks like one of those sellers who lists everything way below regular price, ships 10% of the orders to look as legit as possible then sends everyone else beads/boxes labelled in gibberish/nothing at all while they run away with the money somehow.

Good luck hombre.

The last ten or so bits of feedback for the Chinese guy I bought my Ironhide from are all angry rants from disgruntled nerds who haven't received their robobarbies so I don't hold out much hope for receiving mine. Still, it's not officially late until March (I bought it late December!) and it has a proper tracking ID so I won't freak out just yet. I guess for £20 it's to be expected!

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Rhyno posted:

I wish DT could find out what's up with distribution. We've now checked with seven distributors of Hasbro product and nobody has had wave three.

When did you check this? Our employee store told me today they were able to order the 3 SKUs they didn't have in (D,V,L)

edit: afaik they can't order unless all pending orders from the warehouse they order from have been filled or are in the process of being filled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

When did you check this? Our employee store told me today they were able to order the 3 SKUs they didn't have in (D,V,L)

edit: afaik they can't order unless all pending orders from the warehouse they order from have been filled or are in the process of being filled

Thursday and Friday last week. Diamond, GTS and Mag Exch are my primary sources. 99% of the E-stores can't seem to get stock in either. Jump on TFW and check out the TR thread in the main toy forum, there are hundreds of people from around the country chiming in to say that there's nothing on the pegs. Anywhere. Like, a random case shows up here or there and then nothing for weeks.

Edit: Diamond just put up preorders for the third wave of TMs which have been on the pegs for months now.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 9, 2017