Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Countblanc posted:

pc monhun in the west when

they called it toukiden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Stringbean posted:

So the last time I played a MH was on the PSP. I saw there were two "new" ones for the 3Ds ranged a year apart. Is there a benefit to picking up 4U over Generations? I snagged a 2DS from a coworker for cheap and was looking to get back into the series.

4U and Gen are both good buys. 4U is probly the one if you're looking for a challenge and the G-rank stuff, Gen has all kinds of cool poo poo to play with that's crazy fun but also makes it easy for you to be overpowered, and it feels pretty short as far as singleplayer goes if that's yr thing

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Anybody still playing Cross? I haven't taken the plunge yet, but out of impatience (and mostly to play with locals) and a lack of fiscal responsibility, I'm probably going to buy myself a Japanese 3DS and Cross to get a head start before Double Cross drops. I'm sure it's still got a dedicated enough JP fanbase though.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

So I had a ton of time traveling to Virgin Gorda to play in airports and planes and stuff and I got a little further, got better weapon and armor, and the game is significantly less frustrating. Now my biggest frustration is probably intentional and it's being unable to see poo poo when fighting in trees and shrubs. I wouldn't go so far as to say I find poo poo like bulldromes easy yet, but it's not likely to make me hurl the 3ds against a wall. It seems to be a pretty fun game with lots of different poo poo to try. My wife is working through the tutorials (when we're not snorkeling or otherwise enjoying the island) and we'll probably team up a bunch.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The White Dragon posted:

they called it toukiden

the last time I tried a non-monhun game (God Eater 2) it felt really lovely. like the gamefeel just wasnt there plus there were a lot of weird systems like bullet crafting that felt like they were important but also just getting in the way of killing monsters.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Countblanc posted:

the last time I tried a non-monhun game (God Eater 2) it felt really lovely. like the gamefeel just wasnt there plus there were a lot of weird systems like bullet crafting that felt like they were important but also just getting in the way of killing monsters.

The Bullet Editor is a feature designed by a person who looked at the various broken poo poo you can do in the Elder Scrolls games, and said "Yes, I want that in my game".

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
Finally got into HR4/high rank and boy does the game change. I was finally able to upgrade a bunch of stuff and decking my lance out for status. Currently I have Status +1/Atk up +1/ Guard +1. If I can get a weapon with slots I could probably get Guard +2. I'm using the nara lance and with food I'm paralyzing monsters about 2 or 3 times a hunt. I've got the guard/attack boost and cork screw HA. Cork Screw is amazing for applying status I found out today. Until I find a better combination of stuff this is pretty rad. And once I outgrow it, it will still have use with my SnS in which I could swap out Guard +1 for evade (would it even be useful for aerial?) or even more attack.

Is there any reason to use poison over sleep or paralyze? Outside of Daora, I don't know of any real benefit of it in large monster hunts. For killing bugs is another story.

I wish I had a picture of my set because its kinda ridiculous looking. I have the jaggi faulds with the bullfango/drome pants (or lack there of) with the cute bun helm and sailor top (don't know the name but they have Status) with konchu gloves.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Poison is good for HP sack monsters like Duramboros and Khezu and is less fiddly than sleep. Sleep bombing is very powerful and can give you breaks, but accidental hits can ruin it for you, and the mat requirements can be annoying. Poison is just "hit monster, cause poison, keep hitting monster anyway".

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

shortspecialbus posted:

So I had a ton of time traveling to Virgin Gorda to play in airports and planes and stuff and I got a little further, got better weapon and armor, and the game is significantly less frustrating. Now my biggest frustration is probably intentional and it's being unable to see poo poo when fighting in trees and shrubs. I wouldn't go so far as to say I find poo poo like bulldromes easy yet, but it's not likely to make me hurl the 3ds against a wall. It seems to be a pretty fun game with lots of different poo poo to try. My wife is working through the tutorials (when we're not snorkeling or otherwise enjoying the island) and we'll probably team up a bunch.

You're not alone or wrong in the slightest here. The FoV in this game makes any area with shrubs annoying as hell. Sure, it makes for a pretty visual in that one area with the thigh high grass, but that doesn't make being unable to find a shiny drop or dead small monster unless you're right on top of them any less stupid.

I'm glad you stuck with the game and it's starting to "click" now, though! The initial hump is kind of a doozy, but once you get past the eccentricness it's surprisingly straight laced.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

cancerianmoth posted:

So i decided to try out Lance since I noticed I am not doing as well with CB. My biggest issue while playing guild/striker is doing a charge v doing a counter. There will be times the monster is knocked down and I miss out on dmg bc I do a counter instead. It's so frustrating. Any one elsè have trouble? Or is my thumb just too skinny for the drat 3ds to register both buttons pressed?

The charge is bad and eats your sharpness. Poke poke poke.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wrist Watch posted:

I'm glad you stuck with the game and it's starting to "click" now, though! The initial hump is kind of a doozy, but once you get past the eccentricness it's surprisingly straight laced.

Yeah, there are a few monsters I consider Literally Just Bad™ but surprise surprise, they're almost all 1st gen. Everything else is amazing and the game is so good once you get past that initial hurdle :swoon:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
How does the japanese MH community (aka the people capcom cares about) feel about the pesky smaller monsters being the intro to the game? I definitely prefer the Greats to the -dromes but even those are still irritating with their various minions and relatively small hurtboxes. Azuros or something like that definitely would make a better early game choice.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Countblanc posted:

How does the japanese MH community (aka the people capcom cares about) feel about the pesky smaller monsters being the intro to the game? I definitely prefer the Greats to the -dromes but even those are still irritating with their various minions and relatively small hurtboxes. Azuros or something like that definitely would make a better early game choice.

I think in MH3U the first one you go up against is an Azuros after a quest of hunting/gathering. In MH4U, I think the first is the Great Jaggi which was like "Whoa, a loving T-Rex" This of course wasn't really THE t-rex but for a newbie, you didn't know better. The thing they did right however is getting rid of the required "go gather honey/meat/rocks to see if you're ready to kill dinos" thing they did in MH3U.

And Tyler Too! posted:

I know but I love using it to get across the field and jump attacking. Also, when they are knocked down, its seems like the best way to apply status and do loads of dmg. I'm usually sharpening right before switching zones if I've been battling for some time anyway so sharpness hasn't been an issue.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cancerianmoth posted:

I think in MH3U the first one you go up against is an Azuros after a quest of hunting/gathering. In MH4U, I think the first is the Great Jaggi which was like "Whoa, a loving T-Rex" This of course wasn't really THE t-rex but for a newbie, you didn't know better. The thing they did right however is getting rid of the required "go gather honey/meat/rocks to see if you're ready to kill dinos" thing they did in MH3U.

I never played MH3U but I just tried MHP3rd and it has you go against an Arzuros too (the game he debuted in), and I keep repeating this but... he's such a good first monster!

The first Monster Hunter game I played seriously (I tried MHFU a bit ages ago and never got into it) was MH4U and I still think even the Great Jaggi is a bit too much as a first monster. It's way better than the -dromes, but the combination of small hitbox and calling for help/having friends made life miserable when I was starting and trying to use the Hunting Horn (aka. best weapon in any game, all time). They're super frail, which I guess is why they're picked as starting monsters. I also think it's super stupid for MHGen to have a Maccao in the weapon training arena. He's a great monster (and easy, once you learn his patterns), but his hitbox and movement patterns lends itself suuuuuuuper poorly to showing off the new hunting styles and arts. Several of the Adept dodge attacks literally can't hit him after most of his attacks :smith:

If I had to guess, I'd say the Japanese audience absolutely loves the -dromes and velociraptor-types in general. Probably the same reason they keep bringing back Rathalos and pretending he's a cool scary endgame monster when he's actually just a step above Cephadrome in terms of awfulness.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
i think something like a gravios except without armor would be the ideal intro monster

big hurtboxes, attacks telegraphed for miles, clear feedback when you do something dumb

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

cancerianmoth posted:

I might do that- though doesn't it already have a function? I don't mind the on screen button since I'm already using it for the d-pad (Old 3DSXL)

Start brings up the menu by default, so setting it to special attack puts the menu button where the kick button normally is. I just find hitting Start to be more reliable so I'd rather have that as my special attack.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

i think something like a gravios except without armor would be the ideal intro monster

big hurtboxes, attacks telegraphed for miles, clear feedback when you do something dumb

What they should do is create a large Herbivore much like Gammoth but less bs with his super long stomp animations. gets. me. every. drat. time.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

And Tyler Too! posted:

Charging repeatedly in striker style is actually the literal top DPS strategy in serious-business speedrun play. Not that you should shape how you play around that, but if you also find it the most fun then it's a win-win.

eg. Hellblade Glavenus X in 4:39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SgC8hGNuhE

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

New XX info in the leaked Famitsu:

Nerscylla is back, as is Gravios. Deviant Diablos might have two rage states. Deviant Malfestio can go invisible. All weapons get a new hunter art, some of which look bonkers: reddit link with descriptions

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Oh poo poo, I can dodge and play songs?!?

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
i'm liking the lancer's block and heal. could be a good 3rd HA for guard focused lancers

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

A dodge recital art would be superior to any of the current hunting horn arts by the hugest loving margin. :stare: I need that in my life.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The IG one is the most :effort: thing like most of their HAs.

:(

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Crossing my fingers and hoping that SA art actually makes Axe Mode good.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I use hammer because it's simple and effective, and that new Art sounds right up my alley.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Neo_Crimson posted:

Crossing my fingers and hoping that SA art actually makes Axe Mode good.

I was always hoping for a hunting style/art that made Axe Mode the main focus, kinda like how the current arts make it possible to stay in Sword Mode forever.

Here's hoping this is it :pray:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

This loving niebelsnarf is making the game unfun again

Edit: he can choke on a barrel of dicks since choking on bombs just gives me a couple lovely hits before he knocks my rear end out with some spin attack. What's even the point of giving me free bombs if all they buy me is like 2 hits on the side of his head and a bucket of pain?

ssb fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 8, 2017

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Zore posted:

The IG one is the most :effort: thing like most of their HAs.

:(

If you're not using Extract Hunter III then idk what to tell you

(Honestly it's the best out of a poo poo lineup for glaives, just keep on being a DPS monster since glaives are still really loving good in gen)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

shortspecialbus posted:

That's an understatement you should've seen my posts when I got to that part and the second weak part of the game, in my opinion. It starts by being kinda awkward with the -dromes and stuff (not good monsters to be introduced with) and then it gets really fun, then you have to fight both Nibelsnarf and Cephadrome which are two of the least fun, most bullshit monsters in the game :whitewater:

If it makes you feel better, once you get those two out of the way most of the rest of the monsters in the game are Fun and Cool.

e: Nibelsnarf protip, when you bomb him or knock him out so his head is sticking vertically out of the sand you can walk up to him and fish him out. Just sheathe your weapon, go stand right next to him and you'll get a fishing rod icon. Pull out your fishing rod and spam all the buttons/stick and he'll come flying out of the sand in no time, giving you a bunch of (much needed) free hits.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

shortspecialbus posted:

Edit: he can choke on a barrel of dicks since choking on bombs just gives me a couple lovely hits before he knocks my rear end out with some spin attack. What's even the point of giving me free bombs if all they buy me is like 2 hits on the side of his head and a bucket of pain?

You can do a fun thing with Nibelsnarf when he pops his head out of the sand. I'm not sure what the exact trigger condition is, but watch for your the fishing icon to show up. Then do it.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Seriously? It would be nice if the game would at least hint at that. I'll try that. Also how do I get out of the way of his open mouth charge when I'm trying to bomb him? He's so wide that I just dodge into the edge of his path

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Next time Nibel eat a barrel of explosives, keep your weapon sheathed and pay attention to the button prompt when you approach.

^ again, sheath your weapon, and you should be able to sprint out of the way, or else superman dive out of the way if you're really having trouble (beware, Felyne Courage)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

shortspecialbus posted:

Seriously? It would be nice if the game would at least hint at that. I'll try that. Also how do I get out of the way of his open mouth charge when I'm trying to bomb him? He's so wide that I just dodge into the edge of his path

If your weapon is already sheathed and you're planting a bomb, try superman diving. Running and dodging away from an enemy with your weapon sheathed makes you do the superman dive, and you're invincible the entire time.

Or learn the True Way and play Adept of course :getin:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I am doing adept and apparently timing that particular dodge wrong. I must be doing it too early. Anyways, thanks. A couple things to try. This thing can still choke on a barrel of dicks.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
The one complaint I've had about MH is that I often need to be pixel perfect on my attacks to hit the monster ( be on model) but the monsters don't. All of them have tail sweeps or hip checks or bites that absolutely do not need to make physical contact with you to hit you. Gendrome's paralyzing bite works if I'm standing at his legs. If I could change anything for a future version I would have the hit boxes cleaned up.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

The one complaint I've had about MH is that I often need to be pixel perfect on my attacks to hit the monster ( be on model) but the monsters don't. All of them have tail sweeps or hip checks or bites that absolutely do not need to make physical contact with you to hit you. Gendrome's paralyzing bite works if I'm standing at his legs. If I could change anything for a future version I would have the hit boxes cleaned up.

That's driving me a bit batty too although I'm better at expecting it now and am not trying to be as clever with positioning for that sort of thing since it's apparently irrelevant

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I don't agree that "all" monsters have hitboxes like that, but I still think there are too many. As a series that prides itself on combat (it is, after all basically the entire game) where hitboxes matter, combat is slow and deliberate, etc. they really ought to fix up the old ones. I know they've done some updates, but the fact is that Gen 1/2 monsters are garbage compared to the new ones. Most if not all of the new monsters are amazing in this regard and have very neat hitboxes and great attacks, but the older monsters like the -dromes, raths and plessies are just... bad.

As a newbie who only started playing the games in the 4th gen, it was a revelation when I learned that pretty much all of my least favorite monsters came from the early generations. The combat is so good when the hitboxes are properly in place and the attacks have some telegraphing, it's a shame they ruin that by including old monsters.* :(

*of course, the inclusion of old monsters and the fact that they play the same as they did in the old games is part of the appeal, especially to Japanese fans (who are the only voice) so I can see why they're doing it. Still, it would be great to get a fresh new MonHun without the old baggage.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Another fun Nibelsnarf fact: when he burrows underground you can throw a sonic bomb and he will come up out of the ground at the location you threw it at. If you set up a bomb first, then throw the sonic bomb at it, it will come up and eat the bomb. This makes it so you don't have to wait for him to do his charging attack for him to eat a bomb.

You can see it in this gaijinhunter video about sonic bombs. He lists some other neat uses for them too.
https://youtu.be/JjdGL-yc4Ek

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Triarii posted:

Charging repeatedly in striker style is actually the literal top DPS strategy in serious-business speedrun play. Not that you should shape how you play around that, but if you also find it the most fun then it's a win-win.

eg. Hellblade Glavenus X in 4:39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SgC8hGNuhE

The lance charge since 4u isn't bad anymore, though it still eats sharpness like crazy. Not only can you jump, but there is also a quickturn and attack option if you miss. Also, while charging you'll see your lance flash after a set time. This lets you do a finishing thrust to the charge that I think is as strong as the counter blow lances have. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but it's nice.

Every hit while charging applies full elemental/status damage (when the status procs), and is how I absolutely wreck basarios. Charge and jump to mount and knock him over, then charge into his soft underbelly with a water lance. Rinse and repeat. Works with gravios too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ziddar posted:

New XX info in the leaked Famitsu:

Nerscylla is back...

Excellent.

• Locked thread