Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I gave Chance three episodes but it's just not working for me. I have no idea what's actually going on and the plot about the desk seems pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
For a show that made no noise as far as I'm aware, Rectify may have pushed the Wire and Deadwood down a notch in my favorites list.

Just finished it, lot of dust in the room for Season 4.

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 9, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm through 4 episodes of this season's SHIELD and... it's good? :psyduck:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I don't know if you guys have talked about it earlier but I think Legion is pretty good. It knows when to not take itself seriously and the end piqued my interest.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Legion was good but I can't imagine it will last. It seems to be way too weird to find an audience. Being on FX may be the only thing that saves it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Its totally fair to hate the legacy of Lost fandom and all the toxic fandoms that have come out of it. I'm right there with you. I Xed the Good Place thread because I felt it getting the Lost treatment.

I'm catching up on The Good Place now and I was considering looking up the thread, thanks for shaking some sense into me.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Well duh.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

McSpanky posted:

I'm catching up on The Good Place now and I was considering looking up the thread, thanks for shaking some sense into me.

If you want to read other people's reactions, the AV Club comment threads are usually better. goons can't loving help themselves.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Every time I read the AV Club comments section I have no clue what anyone is talking about. It's just a den of inside-jokes upon inside-jokes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

McSpanky posted:

Stop reading it the day after the season finished.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Rocksicles posted:

Stop reading it the day after the season finished.

This. The thread was pretty good throughout the show and didn't get hella introspective and goon-y until after the show finished.

X-O posted:

Legion was good but I can't imagine it will last. It seems to be way too weird to find an audience. Being on FX may be the only thing that saves it.

FX keeps stuff that has terrible ratings because they have faith in a lot of what they invest in, even if Nielsen viewers could give less of a poo poo. Besides, this feels like it was an ending mapped out and needs a certain minimum amount of episodes to complete it.

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 9, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

Every time I read the AV Club comments section I have no clue what anyone is talking about. It's just a den of inside-jokes upon inside-jokes.

Why would you read the comments section of any site, especially of a lovely site like AV Club?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Because I hate myself and want to feel pain. I also read Youtube comments on political videos and Yelp reviews of hip restaurants.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
AVClub comments are usually fine, aside from the same fucker who, for every episode of THE EXPANSE, would start a big thread for people who have read the books. Discuss the loving show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

AVClub comments are usually fine, aside from the same fucker who, for every episode of THE EXPANSE, would start a big thread for people who have read the books. Discuss the loving show.

Isn't that kind of smart, though? Discus didn't have spoiler tags last year, so the best way to stop random book spoilers from floating around everywhere is just to create a dedicated thread for them, which the other posters can easily collapse.

Yeah, it'd be great if readers would just plain not let their foreknowledge infect conversation -- god knows I've been spoiled here because people don't get how spoiler tags work, if they bother to use them at all -- but that's just not going to happen. Their way at least contains the information, theoretically at least.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Josh Lyman posted:

And it's only taken them four seasons to produce something above mediocre at best.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I liked the movie but I thought that some of the stuff with the characters moved way too fast. With a series, I can see them better developing them and that's a plus in my book.

And Jesus gently caress these comments and dislikes. I don't understand being tilted this much by the existence of media.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Isn't that kind of smart, though? Discus didn't have spoiler tags last year, so the best way to stop random book spoilers from floating around everywhere is just to create a dedicated thread for them, which the other posters can easily collapse.

Yeah, it'd be great if readers would just plain not let their foreknowledge infect conversation -- god knows I've been spoiled here because people don't get how spoiler tags work, if they bother to use them at all -- but that's just not going to happen. Their way at least contains the information, theoretically at least.

They have tags now, but invariably it still spills over into other comments. And I still don't really get the point of the same 5 people having a book discussion every week.

Also weirdly disqus is only collapsible on my phone.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

They have tags now, but invariably it still spills over into other comments. And I still don't really get the point of the same 5 people having a book discussion every week.

Also weirdly disqus is only collapsible on my phone.

Nah, but it's super important that everyone else in the comments gets to hear about how the show is skipping Jojen and Meera Reed, when are they going to introduce them OMG are they cutting them from the adaptation they're really important characters who have a lot to contribute!

Especially when most of the rest of the comment section haven't read the books, don't know what those posters are talking about, and potentially don't really care about overly anxious fidelity criticism -- particularly when there are unmarked spoilers all over the place.

(Someone managed to spoil three character deaths in three different currently airing shows, all in the same post. One of them wasn't even a book adaptation!)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

STAC Goat posted:

Its totally fair to hate the legacy of Lost fandom and all the toxic fandoms that have come out of it. I'm right there with you. I Xed the Good Place thread because I felt it getting the Lost treatment.

What a terrible decision!

muscles like this! posted:

Lol, Spike is changing its name to The Paramount Network. Reminder that before that it was Spike TV and before that it was The National Network and before that The Nashville Network.

Huh, I remember when my local UHF superstation got bought out by Paramount in the early '90s, and they started calling it that.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

:stare:

Rectify that mistake right now dammit

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Oh, he said the thread. I mean, I guess that's understandable, but the thread wasn't really that bad as far as theorycrafting goes? After the season ended it was mostly speculation surrounding the reveal in the last episode and what might happen next, which is kind of normal I would think, it's not as though there's any more show to talk about for the next 7-8 months.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There was a bit much trying to figure out poo poo we couldn't possibly know, but that was it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Pan Dulce posted:

This. The thread was pretty good throughout the show and didn't get hella introspective and goon-y until after the show finished.
Yeah it's pretty funny actually, there were like 10 posts per episode during the season run and then after the finale the Lost/Westworld theory people totally exploded it with like 500 new posts a day

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I randomly put on The Good Place thanks to this thread. Wife and I have just the season finale left after two nights. Thanks thread!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

The only thing good on Spike was all the TNG reruns.

Didn't they also run Bait Car? Bait Car was hilariously stupid.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I finished The Good Place finally. I wasn't going to watch it until I thankfully got spoiled as to the real plot. I love it and I know I would still not have watched it without knowing what the ending was going to be.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I finished The Good Place finally. I wasn't going to watch it until I thankfully got spoiled as to the real plot. I love it and I know I would still not have watched it without knowing what the ending was going to be.

This was incidentally how I got a friend to watch it. :v:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
that's wack

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I went in deliberately avoiding the spoilers and loved every minute of it, I don't get people who have to read the last page of the book first.

Onigami Nanashi
Aug 29, 2006
The truth is in here.
I looked through the first couple pages of the forum and I didn't see a dedicated Emerald City thread.

I've seen all the episodes so far despite not knowing a single other person who's actually watching it. I don't have high hopes for it being renewed for a second season but I'm enjoying myself right now for the first. It doesn't hurt that the actor who plays Lucas is hot like fire.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Onigami Nanashi posted:

I looked through the first couple pages of the forum and I didn't see a dedicated Emerald City thread.

I've seen all the episodes so far despite not knowing a single other person who's actually watching it. I don't have high hopes for it being renewed for a second season but I'm enjoying myself right now for the first. It doesn't hurt that the actor who plays Lucas West is hot like fire.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tarsem Singh is terrible

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

Tarsem Singh is terrible

At least the stuff he makes looks great thought.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

Tarsem Singh is terrible

Eiko Ishioka was pretty great, but she died and everything else in his movies was plagiarized from modern art installations so now he's running on fumes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

I am so glad Netflix greenlit Dear White People, now I get to watch a rerun of when racists lost their minds about the movie in 2014.

I feel like I must be broken because I legitimately don't enjoy watching lovely people out themselves as lovely. It just makes me depressed.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

I feel like I must be broken because I legitimately don't enjoy watching lovely people out themselves as lovely. It just makes me depressed.

That's funny, because I'm pretty sure that's how half of us ended up on this forum. (For me it was the DogFUCKER44 saga.)

Not that I don't get it though; in fact, lately that's been me.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Onigami Nanashi posted:

I've seen all the episodes so far despite not knowing a single other person who's actually watching it. I don't have high hopes for it being renewed for a second season but I'm enjoying myself right now for the first. It doesn't hurt that the actor who plays Lucas is hot like fire.

I too am watching and enjoying Emerald City.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh, sweet Christ, Riverdale. First of all, Shannon Purser's episode aired today (she plays Ethel Muggs), and at the end of the episode, Cheryl Blossom tosses off "#JusticeForEthel" as a line. I thought it was funny. Fight me.

But that's not what drove me here. Preview for next week airs: You know how we were kinda rolling our eyes about Miss Grundy suddenly being a hot cougar because it's the CW (and also because she was loving Archie)? Well, turns out she might have stolen the real Miss Grundy's identity so now that's gonna be a drat thing on top of all the other drat things in this loving show.

I think I'm in love, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Man, y'all weren't kidding, Legion is great. dat production design.

Nothing compared to Riverdale in that department, but when did TV shows get so pretty?

• Locked thread