Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

flosofl posted:

OK, I'll ask. Why is he finding so difficult to get iceberg lettuce and/or why is he not allowed to have any?

Due to inclement weather there's a shortage of iceberg lettuce in most of Northern Europe, so shops have been limiting purchases to 3 per customer in some locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Due to inclement weather there's a shortage of iceberg lettuce in most of Northern Europe, so shops have been limiting purchases to 3 per customer in some locations.

This is the most damning thing I have ever heard about Northern Europe, the fact that they eat, and bemoan the shortage of, iceberg lettuce.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 05:47 on Feb 5, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Platystemon posted:

This is the most damning thing I have ever heard about Northern Europe, the fact that they eat and bemoan the shortage of iceberg lettuce.

It's not looking good for them, is it?

Now if they were to complain about Romaine lettuce (or, as I like to call it, "lettuce"), then I'd be able to see their point of view.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Iceberg is mostly a ranch conveyance. Just spooning dressing into your mouth would be uncouth so you put some healthy salad under it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ranch is an alien concept to the European. Which is why Doritos Cool Ranch is called Cool American in the old world.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cool American is redundant.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FreudianSlippers posted:

Ranch is an alien concept to the European. Which is why Doritos Cool Ranch is called Cool American in the old world.

French? Russian?

Basic caloric slop of any variety

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

flosofl posted:

Cool American is an oxymoron.

ftfy

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Greenhouses are a technology unknown to Europe? I thought they developed them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

gleebster posted:

Greenhouses are a technology unknown to Europe? I thought they developed them.

Being in the EU has made them dependent on cheap exports from the southern nations, which had the weather issues, if I understand correctly.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Lettuce 'black market' emerges amid national salad shortage

On Thursday Tesco and Morrisons launched a crackdown to prevent customers from buying more than three Spanish-grown iceberg lettuces at a time in a bid to preserve stock.

But the ban has led to markets and causal sellers taking advantage of desperate salad fans by flogging them salad and vegetables for up to 10 times the usual price.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/03/lettuce-black-market-emerges-amid-national-salad-shortage/

That's that.

edit :

https://twitter.com/Parveen_Comms/status/827453856149864449?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Just drink the thousand island dressing out of the bottle like a loving animal!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:v:

(don't necessarily disagree, but I couldn't resist the set up)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

flosofl posted:

:v:

(don't necessarily disagree, but I couldn't resist the set up)

I'm an American, so this is sort of a self-own. :smith:

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Workington police blow up 'suspicious' car parked by fellow officers

quote:

Cumbria Police said other officers on duty were not aware colleagues had parked the car outside the station after helping its owner, who had been taken ill.

The building was evacuated, a 100m cordon put in place and the vehicle blown up.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Being in the EU has made them dependent on cheap exports from the southern nations, which had the weather issues, if I understand correctly.

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that you don't

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lime Tonics posted:

On Thursday Tesco and Morrisons launched a crackdown to prevent customers from buying more than three Spanish-grown iceberg lettuces at a time in a bid to preserve stock.

But the ban has led to markets and causal sellers taking advantage of desperate salad fans by flogging them salad and vegetables for up to 10 times the usual price.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/03/lettuce-black-market-emerges-amid-national-salad-shortage/

That's that.

edit :

Nice 'suspicious' quote marks there.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Thread title related:

"Car goes out of control and kills two dead cyclists"

I also liked this one:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Sereri posted:

Thread title related:

"Car goes out of control and kills two dead beers mixed with lemonade"

FTFY

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

plain blue jacket posted:

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that you don't

Actualy I remembered correctly. Sorry about your limb. :shrug:

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

I was referring to your general understanding

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

plain blue jacket posted:

I was referring to your general understanding

I think it's doing well, but thank you for your concern. :wave:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Is the meaning “poo poo is hosed up all ’round” or “analysts are whiny bitches who would be disappointed with Heaven itself?”

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Platystemon posted:

Is the meaning “poo poo is hosed up all ’round” or “analysts are whiny bitches who would be disappointed with Heaven itself?”

EE (formerly Everything Everywhere) is a British mobile network operator, Internet service provider and a division of BT Group.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

Cool American is redundant.

Yeah we're the celebrities of the world and Europeans like to kiss our toes. That's why I like traveling abroad

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lime Tonics posted:

That's that.

edit :

You know when you see a news story and think "Yes, this is the most British thing I've heard all day"?

An iceberg lettuce black market due to a shortage is one of those.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

You know when you see a news story and think "Yes, this is the most British thing I've heard all day"?

Teenager Arrested For Selling Lettuce to Desperate Vegans on Hove Street Corner

Paul Hayes, of London Road, was detained at 11.30pm after an anonymous tip off from the general public led the police to Grand Avenue where they discovered Mr Hayes ‘serving up’ to a large queue of vegans and health conscious Hove mums. A subsequent search of the suspect’s car revealed courgettes, aubergines and traces of broccoli.

https://brightonbulletin.com/2017/0...k&ICID=ref_fark

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This will not stop being the most bizarre thing.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I'm pretty sure comedy sites don't count?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

British man has single Brussels sprout delivered to his house.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Not lettuce, but a courgette one - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jan/17/uk-supermarket-courgette-shortage-italy-spain-cold

edit: oh dear, I thought you were kidding, but it's indeed here - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/03/lettuce-black-market-emerges-amid-national-salad-shortage/

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Circuitjerky
Mar 17, 2006

It becomes CO2 after people die.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Circuitjerky posted:

It becomes CO2 after people die.

Like how meteors become meteorites I guess.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Microwave Weapons a New Threat to South African Farmers

Not sure if this site is satirical or not.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Not sure if this site is satirical or not.

http://guardianlv.com/2016/06/hollah-at-your-hip-hop-granny/

what on earth did I just read

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Seriously what the hell. It's just an avalanche of insane word and sentence mashing and it. Doesnt. End.

My best bet is someone trying to do beat poetry in the context of a hyper surreal political website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Aesop Poprock posted:

Seriously what the hell. It's just an avalanche of insane word and sentence mashing and it. Doesnt. End.

My best bet is someone trying to do beat poetry in the context of a hyper surreal political website

quote:

I guess you know by now that I am that 80-year-old great-grandmother, often called Hip-Hop Granny.

She lived through the two wars dammit. She's going to get her money's worth out of these commas.