Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I think he looks like alcoholic Mark Hamill.

You mean regular Mark Hamill in the 80's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
He looks like a loving orc.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Senior Woodchuck posted:

He looks like a loving orc.

Nah he's just literally Wormtongue. Probably minus the redemptive backstabbing. But probably retaining the backstabbing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RandallODim posted:

Nah he's just literally Wormtongue. Probably minus the redemptive backstabbing. But probably retaining the backstabbing.

I'm now picturing Ian McKellen marching into the Oval Office, kicking Bannon out the door, and Trump promptly turns into the Aryan Superman.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Jedit posted:

I'm now picturing Ian McKellen marching into the Oval Office, kicking Bannon out the door, and Trump promptly turns into the Aryan Superman.

I mean, Gandalf the White.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ok, first of all: who the hell says "singing sensation"? Unless they were describing a 60's novelty act or something.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 9, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I am concerned about that butt situation.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

quote:

Nightcat was created by Jim Salicrup, Barry Dutter, Stan Lee, Denys Cowan and Jimmy Palmiotti. Marvel creator Stan Lee wanted to develop a female superhero who crossed over into the real world. Like Dazzler, this hero was also a rock singer. So they released an issue of the Nightcat comic book and hired actress/singer Jacqueline Tavarez to embody Night Cat in real life.

An entire album simply titled Nightcat was recorded and the song "#1 House Rule." Neither the comic nor the album were commercially successful and Jacqueline was fired. At the time she claimed it was because she had appeared in a music video for a song by Joey Buttafuoco. She has since appeared in the film Tromeo And Juliet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-hfE009MKM

Thanks internet.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Hell yeah, Nightcat!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Her arch-nemesis? Diurnal Dog!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

a kitten posted:

Ok, first of all: who the hell says "singing sensation"? Unless they were describing a 60's novelty act or something.

Those kitties should not be that high up :ohdear:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Of course, that's not the first time that Marvel tried to do a hero based on a real person. Back in the 70s there was the Human Fly ("The Wildest Super-Hero Ever -- Because He's Real!"), based very loosely on stuntman Rick Rojatt. You may note some artistic license has been taken.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Selachian posted:

Of course, that's not the first time that Marvel tried to do a hero based on a real person. Back in the 70s there was the Human Fly ("The Wildest Super-Hero Ever -- Because He's Real!"), based very loosely on stuntman Rick Rojatt. You may note some artistic license has been taken.

Where are that kid's paren--- oh, they're dead in the background. Cool cool cool.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

On second viewing, I would also note that they hosed up the premier / premiere distinction. Unless that was actually supposed to be the best issue ever.

(Also, note the registered trademark symbol after "Super Hero," 'cause Marvel and DC own that.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

Why not just Daydog

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phy posted:

Why not just Daydog

Not really pompous or pedantic enough for a villain. Plus, puns with "every dog has his day" or "dog day afternoon" would be too on the nose.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DAY CAT, FIGHTER OF THE NIGHT CAT!!! SOMETIMES I DON'T GET YOU PEOPLE!!!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Aggressively mediocre. I can see this on a retro-wave greenlight game on steam.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Selachian posted:

Dazzler was also created as part of a multi-media promotion which was going to involve comics, albums, music videos, concerts and a live-action movie starring Bo Derek... a year or two after disco (and the roller-disco craze) had died out.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

prefect posted:

I still think of Bernie Wrightson as "the guy who created Captain Sternn from the Heavy Metal movie". :blush:

Speaking of things related to the Heavy Metal movie! I just went on a ebay spree buying Richard Corbin stuff and his story Den is one of the most out-there and sick "barbarian" things I've ever read.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Lobok posted:

But how could they be enemies if one starts work while the other's going to sleep?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Speaking of things related to the Heavy Metal movie! I just went on a ebay spree buying Richard Corbin stuff and his story Den is one of the most out-there and sick "barbarian" things I've ever read.

Plus his narrator-voice was John Candy! :swoon:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gnome de plume posted:

But how could they be enemies if one starts work while the other's going to sleep?

She has to undo all the nefarious deeds he perpetrated during the day. Burying bombs in Central Park. Burying deadly viruses in Battery Park. Burying nuclear weapons in Madison Square Park.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
More great work in this month's Old Man Logan. I thought this one (19) was the end of the current run, but I guess it goes until 24 so I'm pleasantly surprised.

For context, that's Jean Grey connecting with the brood hivemind.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I...

it's good work, but I'd swear to you I've seen the exact image elsewhere. It's concerning.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/832265802632003584/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Dunno what it is but that's a hell of a promo image.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're going to resurrect Mar-vell again?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Other than Earth X the real Mar-vell has never returned to life.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Kinda weird that Carol Danvers is on there twice...diagonally next to herself.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Also where the heck is Monica or Phyla or Genis? The middle of that image should just be Captain Marvels.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TGG posted:

Also where the heck is Monica or Phyla or Genis? The middle of that image should just be Captain Marvels.

None of them originated the name or are the current holder.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

TGG posted:

If we're going down that route, there's a lot more missing faces in this line-up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Other than Earth X the real Mar-vell has never returned to life.

Yes he did, during the leadup to AvX.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah pardon that, think I was just thrown off by the doubling up on Carol/Jean. I like that promo though, Alex Rossy and has a good punch to it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The Night Cat cover looks like it sound be spray painted on the side of someone's van. I like how they decided to do Dazzler again, but it failed because Dazzler is a great campy character and Night Cat isn't.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
This Star Trek comic has some pretty obvious traced faces, which is made even more obvious with the reuse of the same faces from panel to panel.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That is loving horrendous. Also the art is bad.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Love VSauce Vinny in the middle there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What is with that weirdly shapeless Tina Belcher lookalike in the middle.