Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Slickdrac posted:

Not exactly highlights, but there's this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmLdnnjC0q4

From the comments here this was the most :australia: thing that ever happened so I may have to clear my schedules and watch the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

welp, think this is over. just what everyone wanted right, a Whincup/Ferrari win

the pass btw:

https://twitter.com/Bathurst12hour/status/828123033051074560

:stare:

When I saw grass pass, I thought he had cut a corner, not knocked into the grass on a straight and managed to pass him that way.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
anyone following MotoGP testing, I'd give a shout out to Vinales as a good bet to win the title but he's already the second favorite on most betting sites so the odds actually aren't worth it probably

Still hoping that Iannone/Suzuki works out

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Alain Post posted:

anyone following MotoGP testing, I'd give a shout out to Vinales as a good bet to win the title but he's already the second favorite on most betting sites so the odds actually aren't worth it probably

I'm already excited for this season. There are so many wild cards with experienced folks moving to new teams.

Dumb Username
Oct 20, 2012

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Alain Post posted:

I hope Iannone keeps the Suzuki sticky-side down, he lives up to his name and caned the Ducati way up the grid last year but crashed far too often.

A four-way title fight of Marquez, Rossi, Vinales and Iannone with the factory Ducatis not far off would be faaaaaantastic.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

storyofmylife.gif

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

nms

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The best or nothing, right?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

harperdc posted:

A four-way title fight of Marquez, Rossi, Vinales and Iannone with the factory Ducatis not far off would be faaaaaantastic.

Not gonna rate Lorenzo very highly on the Duke yet, then?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Not gonna rate Lorenzo very highly on the Duke yet, then?

Nope. Haven't seen updated practice times, but the Ducati always takes guys time to adjust. I'm sure he'll be close, but this feels like an off year.[edit] if you're going to trust one of Dovi or Lorenzo to get it right with the Ducati, do you go with the guy who knows the bike, or the alien? I feel like it's almost even, and the Suzuki will be better anyways.

I also can't remember offhand if any fuel/etc allowances that Ducati and Suzuki both got to encourage and help them will go away.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 7, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Kenny Roberts Jr. is becoming a MotoGP Legend!

I know people will scoff at that one but he's one of a very small number of 500cc/MotoGP riders to win a title while not on one of the top bikes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Kenny Roberts Jr. is becoming a MotoGP Legend!

I know people will scoff at that one but he's one of a very small number of 500cc/MotoGP riders to win a title while not on one of the top bikes.

Now I need to go back and read again how that even happened. I think it was just consistency while everyone else threw things away.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Nope. Haven't seen updated practice times, but the Ducati always takes guys time to adjust. I'm sure he'll be close, but this feels like an off year.[edit] if you're going to trust one of Dovi or Lorenzo to get it right with the Ducati, do you go with the guy who knows the bike, or the alien? I feel like it's almost even, and the Suzuki will be better anyways.

I also can't remember offhand if any fuel/etc allowances that Ducati and Suzuki both got to encourage and help them will go away.

Neither get any this year I believe. I think KTM and Aprilia still get something.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

harperdc posted:

I'm with you on that. The Ducati has always been a finicky beast, and I'm not sure Lorenzo has the aggression and flexibility needed to tame it. Will be interesting to see if he can out-do Rossi in his red debut, though the bikes are vastly different these days.

harperdc posted:

Nope, no concessions for Ducati anymore. They're back to full factory status alongside Honda and Yamaha.

Just clicked over to the MotoGP website. Iannone looks like a broken-down zombie in his Suzuki promo photo. Chin up, buddy! All you gotta do is keep the rubber side down and you'll be okay! :ohdear: And the poor Aspar team doesn't even have leathers yet...

harperdc posted:

Now I need to go back and read again how that even happened. I think it was just consistency while everyone else threw things away.

Sounds like another Hayden or Button kind of championship? Was before my time, tho, and I haven't caught up on that era. According to Wikipedia, "[KRJR] renewed his championship challenge in 2000. With Crivillé failing to regain his form, Roberts' main challenge came from Valentino Rossi, a rookie rider fresh from winning 250cc title. This time, Roberts managed to find consistency by taking four wins and five podiums in 16 races."

Looks like Videopass has the whole 2000 season, but some races are just highlights compilations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
KR did have a very good year in 1999, too. Suzuki never got a hang of the 4-stroke era and that was it for KR's career (though he nearly won that infamous 2006 Grand Prix at Estoril on his dad's bike with a Honda engine)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

harperdc posted:

There was a weak field factor there. Rossi had just debuted, Criville ran out of gas, Doohan was gone and the best of the rest was like Loris Capirossi, Alex Barros, and Max Biaggi.

With that being said, Aoki couldn't do poo poo with that bike and it was clearly the third best behind the Honda and Yamaha.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 7, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, I caught up more with that afterwards. It really does sound like the weak field situation. KR Jr knew the bike at a time when Criville wasn't super hot and Yamaha was doing an impression of an Italian team.

Also read a bit more about this year's testing, and Ducati's mystery box. What's in the box?

Dumb Username
Oct 20, 2012

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Iannone looks like a broken-down zombie in his Suzuki promo photo.

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dumb Username posted:

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding.

:stonklol:

He's been doing it so long his body naturally slumps like that? I don't know.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

He just looks contoured to his motorcycle at all times. No big deal guys.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Maybe he likes his leathers tight?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
It's especially noticeable because Rins is standing like a guy who's not wearing something that only fits when you're curled up like a macaque monkey on a sika deer.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

http://www.imsa.com/news/022017/chevrolet-unveils-camaro-gt4r-racer-2017-competition

:getin:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yes give me more GT4 cars.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The gt4 cars at Bathurst weren't bad but had the poo poo beaten out of them by everyone else in the field. The guys running V8 powered Mazda 3's and focuses didn't have too many issues passing them. The gt3 cars left them standing every time and they didn't sound nearly as good as some of the others

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Make a GT3 Camaro IMO, so we get GT3 Mustangs and Challengers too

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VikingSkull posted:

Make a GT3 Camaro IMO, so we get GT3 Mustangs and Challengers too

There's a GT3 Corvette actually, but I don't think it has "official" Chevy backing (as in an aftermarket shop is modifying them to GT3 standards but I don't know how much GM is supporting the effort, if at all).

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

iospace posted:

There's a GT3 Corvette actually, but I don't think it has "official" Chevy backing (as in an aftermarket shop is modifying them to GT3 standards but I don't know how much GM is supporting the effort, if at all).

Callaway have an official licence to make the GT3 C7 but the agreement forbids them from selling it in the US. There's already a GT3 Camaro, built by Reiter with a similar arrangement. The GT3 rules mean only 1 race car design per base street car model can be homologated, so if GM want to make a new GT3 Corvette or Camaro they'll have to make a new variant of the road car to go along with it. The only GM GT3 car that they build in house is the Cadillac and even then they don't sell them to anyone.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Xisticide posted:

Callaway have an official licence to make the GT3 C7 but the agreement forbids them from selling it in the US. There's already a GT3 Camaro, built by Reiter with a similar arrangement. The GT3 rules mean only 1 race car design per base street car model can be homologated, so if GM want to make a new GT3 Corvette or Camaro they'll have to make a new variant of the road car to go along with it. The only GM GT3 car that they build in house is the Cadillac and even then they don't sell them to anyone.

So if the C7.R is based off the Z06 (or base model, not sure which one), can't they say the GT3 is based off the grand sport?

Also, why is the GT3 C7 prohibited in the US?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

iospace posted:

So if the C7.R is based off the Z06 (or base model, not sure which one), can't they say the GT3 is based off the grand sport?

From what I'm guessing, GM is super protective of who races and he'll makes their cars for racing in the states. Stevenson Motorsports probably wanted to use the Cadillac but GM probably said no so they went to Audi.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

iospace posted:

Maybe? I'm not sure what constitutes a different model in the eyes of SRO/FIA but I'd guess the answer probably has something to do with how big a sack of cash comes with the question.

The official line is something like they don't want to confuse people by having a GTLM/GTE Corvette blast past a GT3/GTD on track.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Xisticide posted:

Maybe? I'm not sure what constitutes a different model in the eyes of SRO/FIA but I'd guess the answer probably has something to do with how big a sack of cash comes with the question.

The official line is something like they don't want to confuse people by having a GTLM/GTE Corvette blast past a GT3/GTD on track.

Part of the reason they've now gone with Cadillac for the DPi instead of having a Corvette DP blast past the Corvette GTLM. Plus, as they pay a sponsorship amount to IMSA as a manufacturer, it appears they don't want privateers rocking up in GTD under that banner.

Partially also they didn't want their (factory) GT3 deal for PWC and Cadillac beaten out by a privateer Corvette. Or even challenged by that.

GT4 makes sense for both the Mustang and Camaro.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yeah, for Ford, their "Halo Car" is the GT, for GM it's the Corvette. If Chrysler were to join in as a factory team (lol fat chance), they would homologate the Viper for GTLM (though apparently they would need to completely redesign the road car to restart production because it lacks side-curtain airbags which are now required) and GT4ify the Challenger (as it sits in the same market segment as the Mustang and Camaro).

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Rally Sweden is currently ongoing. Its one of the fastest rallies in the calendar and it all takes place on ice and snow. Ogier is some way off the lead currently

You can follow it here http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/livecenter/page/4175----.html and here https://www.redbull.tv/live/AP-1Q84GQUR51W11/fia-world-rally-championship

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
WRC is good again.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kilonum posted:

If Chrysler were to join in as a factory team (lol fat chance), they would homologate the Viper for GTLM (though apparently they would need to completely redesign the road car to restart production because it lacks side-curtain airbags which are now required) and GT4ify the Challenger (as it sits in the same market segment as the Mustang and Camaro).
Considering how much money they spent and how quickly they pulled the plug on the last GTLM Vipers, and how lousy the Viper sales are, I imagine that any factory GTLM/GT3 program from them at this point would be a Maserati or Alfa.

That said, although Ferrari is technically an independent company, 80% of its stock was distributed to FCA stock holders. So they basically already have a GTLM and GT3 program.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If Alfa make that rumoured 2-door Giulia....they should make a GT3 version

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

Considering how much money they spent and how quickly they pulled the plug on the last GTLM Vipers, and how lousy the Viper sales are, I imagine that any factory GTLM/GT3 program from them at this point would be a Maserati or Alfa.

That said, although Ferrari is technically an independent company, 80% of its stock was distributed to FCA stock holders. So they basically already have a GTLM and GT3 program.

I love how no one gave a poo poo about the Viper until it was announced it was going to be discontinued. I can see them pulling a GT4 Challenger, but they seem to be out of motorsports entirely at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

iospace posted:

I love how no one gave a poo poo about the Viper until it was announced it was going to be discontinued. I can see them pulling a GT4 Challenger, but they seem to be out of motorsports entirely at this point.

They are still involved in Super Stock NHRA and the like with the Drag Pak Challengers. Dodge knows their bread and butter, which is why the new Dodge Demon is basically being marketed as "we don't care, this thing is an animal in a straight line and gently caress you if you want anything else".

• Locked thread