Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, they're saying that if the player is dead inside, their game's version of Link is also dead.

Makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
"Link is dead" always seemed really weird to me. Dead people don't experience grief, and Majora's Mask has a VERY clear stages-of-grief theme.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This is just the "x is in a coma" theory that's applied to everything these days, right?

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

This is just the "x is in a coma" theory that's applied to everything these days, right?

Pretty much. The 'dying dream' thing gets used to explain a bunch of weird stuff. And becomes a problem if they make a sequel. Unless you say it's taking them a really long time to die, I guess.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Whoa guys, what if in the very last Zelda game, you wake up and you're in Skyloft and Zelda's loftwing is bitching at you to get moving?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bef posted:

Yeah it was different and not what the People wanted on release but playing it for 10 minutes you realized none of that criticism mattered because there wasn't anything as pretty as that game. Loved the bomb/smoke effects

It takes just about until you start hearing the bouncy Outset Island music, with its little tribute to Kokiri Forest inside of it, to realize that it's okay that it's a cartoon.

I think the juxtaposition of Windwaker Link as this perpetually bright-eyed cartoon child but that the world is a (very pretty) horrifying post-apocalytpic drownyard with creepy, weeping bottle fairies and a Ganondorf who... just wanted to feel... the wind... makes it one of the darker games, actually.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
On the subject of dreams, what's the consensus on Koholint Island? Was it a "dream" in that it never existed physically and was a world Link was trapped in while unconscious, or was it a "dream" in the same way that Zanarkand was in FFX, where it was a physical manifestation of the Wind Fish's dreams and was an actual place that you could physically sail to and visit for as long as the Wind Fish slept?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

PerrineClostermann posted:

What's the next Twilight Zone twist fans will apply to everything?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It was a video game.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

DanielCross posted:

On the subject of dreams, what's the consensus on Koholint Island? Was it a "dream" in that it never existed physically and was a world Link was trapped in while unconscious, or was it a "dream" in the same way that Zanarkand was in FFX, where it was a physical manifestation of the Wind Fish's dreams and was an actual place that you could physically sail to and visit for as long as the Wind Fish slept?

Go ask Reddit

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Link will wake up and think it's all a dream.

But then he'll see the Master Sword by his bed and realize it actually wasn't a dream.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

What's the next Twilight Zone twist fans will apply to everything?

You wake up and everyone is ugly, but they think you look ugly!

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

DanielCross posted:

Dream Land is another dimension our scientists have yet to fully understand.

But beings like Wart can go from one dream to the next and still exist as long as they leave the dream before its creator awakens.

That's what happened to Mouser and the rest of the Subcon peeps we never see anymore. They didn't get out while the getting was good.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Some more photos! One of them is fairly spoilery, so I'm going to link them:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/02/09/exclusive-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-screen-gallery.aspx

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"If you're not careful, Link can get struck by lightning. During a storm, Link will want to unequip his metal weapons and items."

I'm not sure if that's clever or annoying as hell.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

jivjov posted:

Now's the best time to get one...the entire library is available, and if you wait too much longer, they're gonna get hard to find.

Why would they be hard to find? Are there any consoles that are hard to find?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Why would they be hard to find? Are there any consoles that are hard to find?

Most consoles become harder to find as time goes on, yes, unless you're willing to pay marked-up prices for used ones which are increasingly likely to be damaged or broken.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ImpAtom posted:

Most consoles become harder to find as time goes on, yes, unless you're willing to pay marked-up prices for used ones which are increasingly likely to be damaged or broken.

Which ones?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Which ones?

Uh? Are you fishing for some answer before you rush to ebay and go "See, I can buy (X) right now for $5" or something?

Consoles go out of production. Once they go out of production they become less available and are more likely to be in poor condition, unless you get knockoffs of the consoles which are increasingly uncommon as more generations come out. Consoles don't vanish into dust but they do stop getting made.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

"If you're not careful, Link can get struck by lightning. During a storm, Link will want to unequip his metal weapons and items."

We've gone from holding your sword skyward so that it does get struck by lightning, to the exact opposite in the span of only one game!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Keiya posted:

"Link is dead" always seemed really weird to me. Dead people don't experience grief, and Majora's Mask has a VERY clear stages-of-grief theme.

The game theory guys who put out this dumb idea pointed out the stages-of-grief theme, both oversimplifying it so the shoe would fit better and jumping to the conclusion of "grief is a theme therefore link is coming to terms with his own death"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

I hope I can put my experience from FFX to good use.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Cojawfee posted:

Whoa guys, what if in the very last Zelda game, you wake up and you're in Skyloft and Zelda's loftwing is bitching at you to get moving?

Nah you wake up knocked out in a cave realizing that an old man took your wallet.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ImpAtom posted:

Uh? Are you fishing for some answer before you rush to ebay and go "See, I can buy (X) right now for $5" or something?

Consoles go out of production. Once they go out of production they become less available and are more likely to be in poor condition, unless you get knockoffs of the consoles which are increasingly uncommon as more generations come out. Consoles don't vanish into dust but they do stop getting made.

I know that, but I don't think any console is truly hard to find with the internet, and like you said, eBay. Consoles don't really become rare and I doubt anyone is going to have to scour the world looking for a Wii U.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Do you call them skull-too-las or skull-chu-las

I call them skull-chu-las

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

You can throw your sword at an enemy's feet do bait the lightning towards them, I'll go with "clever"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

I hope your switch falls into the ocean and you never get one.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Pronounciation debates :can:

I remember years ago in another Zelda thread, some psychopath defending his choice to pronounce Termina as "ter-MY-na" :barf:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

FirstAidKite posted:

Skulltulas (pronounced /ˈskʌltʃʉlə/ SKUL-choo-lə)[1]

https://zeldawiki.org/Skulltula

Also remember it's a play on words with tarantula.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I'm too poor to afford a twig let alone a switch, I will likely not be playing the new zelda any time soon, if ever.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Skulltulas (pronounced /ˈskʌltʃʉlə/ SKUL-choo-lə)[1]

https://zeldawiki.org/Skulltula

Also remember it's a play on words with tarantula.

Tell this to all of the people who still call them skull-too-las

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
People also say "oranga-tang", people are the worst

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

If never gets one how is his Switch falling into the ocean :confused:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Augus posted:

If never gets one how is his Switch falling into the ocean :confused:

Every time he orders a switch, it falls into the ocean.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Keiya posted:

Nah you wake up knocked out in a cave realizing that an old man took your wallet.

It is, indeed, dangerous to go alone.

As far as pronunciation goes, I just found out that other people pronounce Fi with a long I sound and not a long e sound. Fie sounds dumb. Fee is where it's at.

Also, I always pronounced Navi as "navy". Probably because I was like 13 when I played it and never thought about pronouncing it any other way.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Pronounciation debates :can:

I remember years ago in another Zelda thread, some psychopath defending his choice to pronounce Termina as "ter-MY-na" :barf:

Fi is "fee" and not "fye" and I will fight Hyrule Warriors over this.

Beedle!!! :haw:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

And it definitely is supposed to sound like tarantulas! Come on!!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ImpAtom posted:

It's the Dark Elf Cave in FFIV all over again!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tImX9-FEMhg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

I scrolled down to like... the fourth image on the page, and thought 'yeah, that's a pretty big spoiler'

And then the last one caught me completely off guard :eyepop: