Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

a cyberpunk goose posted:

There's not even a death pool and the thread sucks watching people argue with invisible straw men about the merits of the death pool, I'd be less annoyed by actual death pool posting that I can tune out

a cyberpunk goose posted:

10.5 people shall perish

11 Robo Reagan, Bob Loblaw, Amgard, GiantAmazonianOtter, SLICK GOKU BABY, Ziggy Starfucker, a cyberpunk goose (10.5 rounded up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Newest thread got QCSd and then mods came and closed it.

I want to talk about cool mountains, good climbers, human tragedy, and rich bucket listers dying.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
please god don't let them find this thread. nobody post here until climbing season starts.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They won't find it because they probably don't know this subforum even exists. They only exist to concern troll GBS threads. We could probably post a new thread without a deathpool and without putting it in loving GBS of all places and be just fine.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I think having it in this subforum would be fine. I don't want the thread to die because it's one of the main things that inspired me to go to Nepal in the first place and that's a cool thing in my books.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The GBS in me doesn't want to back down but whatever I will hold my death pool number close to my heart regardless.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

Aphex- posted:

Yeah I think having it in this subforum would be fine. I don't want the thread to die because it's one of the main things that inspired me to go to Nepal in the first place and that's a cool thing in my books.

Can you talk more about the general prep and cost of your trip? Since it sounds like you mostly stayed in teahouses, I'm curious how that changes gear considerations.

Also, has anybody hiked any other inn or teahouse style thru-hikes, like the Camino de Santiago, British countryside, or the Alps?

A Horse Named Mandy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 8, 2017

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I puked all over the side of Pike's Peak when I was four, but that's my only mountain adventure.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Aphex- posted:

I will pay you money and be your friend forever if you could snag me one of those 'Everest no problem' Bart Simpson tshirts that was posted earlier.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

MisterOblivious posted:

There's no prize.

*ahem*, I've been promised a John Cena doll for whenever that hypoxic tourist suplexes a sherpa off the Kangshung Face. I don't come to this thread for the death pool though. Not sure why we needed to make a 2017 thread, especially one in GBS when this one is perfectly suitable but then I am a garbage dick noobie and I still don't really get how most of this gigantic internet dungeon operates so w/e.

Rondette posted:

I will pay you money and be your friend forever if you could snag me one of those 'Everest no problem' Bart Simpson tshirts that was posted earlier.

This one right? If there's any interest I might do a run of printed ones. Nowhere near as cool or legit as the embroidered ones though :saddowns:

DPM fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 8, 2017

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Who needs a new thread this one is fine

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Welp, elwood un-ironically chose the 2017 thread as his hill to die on. :smith:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=19933

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So he decided to have himself be banned in some D&D thread for some reason.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

onesixtwo posted:

Welp, elwood un-ironically chose the 2017 thread as his hill to die on. :smith:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=19933

stay safe op ghost

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
RIP elwood, the mountain accepts your offering.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
But does it count for deathpool

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Minrad posted:

But does it count for deathpool

All gifts are accepted by Chomolungma.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

Can you talk more about the general prep and cost of your trip? Since it sounds like you mostly stayed in teahouses, I'm curious how that changes gear considerations.

Also, has anybody hiked any other inn or teahouse style thru-hikes, like the Camino de Santiago, British countryside, or the Alps?

Teahouses are amazing because yeah, it just makes everything easier. No need to pack any food or shelter, apart from a sleeping bag. On the trip I did around the Annapurna Circuit there were villages all with teahouses and places to stay pretty much every hour or two. I had a general idea of where I wanted to stop for the day but other than that you can just go with the flow, stop off for lunch where you like, take interesting little side routes, that kind of stuff.

The prep basically consisted of planning what gear I needed to bring and then making sure I got the right permits to do it when I got to Nepal, also I read a load of blogs from people who've already done it to get a general idea. You can pack really light, my pack came to 12kg but that was with a dslr and gorillapod, minus all that stuff it would have been around 9kg. The circuit is really cool in that you start off in subtropical jungle type climates, then as the days go on it gradually changes to temperate, then alpine forests, then tundra and high altitude barren landscapes. You just have to make sure to bring layers to account for all the different climates. I wore one merino wool (icebreaker) t-shirt the whole 16 days I was on the trail, it was loving awesome and didn't smell as bad as you think after that long, as long as you wash it with water when you get the chance. I had a long sleeve one too which I mainly used when I wasn't walking. I had one pair of lightweight trekking trousers, it would have been good if they were cutoffs because you get really loving warm and sweaty at the lower altitudes. Then just a lightweight fleece, insulated/down jacket, and a water and windproof jacket for up high.

I went in October and the weather was wonderful, never rained, mostly clear blue skies too. Other stuff I took was just the usual hiking maguffins, trekking poles, first aid, suncream and lip balm, wet wipes were really useful, sun hat, gloves (make sure they're windproof because mine weren't and the morning we went over the pass it was so cold my hands went completely numb), winter hat, polarised sunglasses and a buff. Buffs are amazing and I can't get enough of them. All of this stuff including the sleeping bag fit very comfortably into my 50L pack. My friend managed to do it with a 33L pack but he kind of regretted it afterwards because it just was too full and wasn't comfortable most of the time.

I did a little write up with some pictures earlier in the thread somewhere which I can dig up if you want to know more about it. The trip was absolutely loving incredible and Nepal is somewhere where I am DEFINITELY going to go back to because it's just a really really cool place. I want to do EBC like Elwood did, also the Manaslu trek looks awesome and a lot less developed than the Annapurna Circuit. I just wish I had time when I was there to do the Annapurna base camp trek too. I read Annapurna by Maurice Herzog when I was there and it was very cool passing through places he went when he did the first ascent to it. Oh yeah on that note a kindle is essential.

E: Forgot about the cost! Nepal is super cheap and while we were on the trek we had a budget of around 2000 - 2500 Nepalese rupees a day. I think I took out 45000 at the start of the trek and it lasted all 16 days I was on it with a little to spare. I did have a couple of beers most evenings though because god dammit it's such a good way to round off a tough day's hike.

Rondette posted:

drat, I went in October but I totally would have had a look for one if I knew! I would have gotten one for myself if I had found it as well for sure haha.

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 9, 2017

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
Thanks for the reply. I'm already planning Peru for this year, and it's an extra hassle of planning when a lot of the infrastructure in these countries have stringent weight limits (eg one 15lb bag on the train back from Machu Picchu). That sounds like a great way to go on the lighter side.

On the subject of infrastructure, a lot of recent Annapurna trekkers have been complaining about developments in the area, with towns previously only accessible by yak now getting dirt roads. On the one hand, yeah it sucks to breath diesel fumes when you're supposed to be immersed in nature, but on the other hand, gently caress you, those people have to live there.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

Thanks for the reply. I'm already planning Peru for this year, and it's an extra hassle of planning when a lot of the infrastructure in these countries have stringent weight limits (eg one 15lb bag on the train back from Machu Picchu). That sounds like a great way to go on the lighter side.

On the subject of infrastructure, a lot of recent Annapurna trekkers have been complaining about developments in the area, with towns previously only accessible by yak now getting dirt roads. On the one hand, yeah it sucks to breath diesel fumes when you're supposed to be immersed in nature, but on the other hand, gently caress you, those people have to live there.

Yeah those trekkers who complain about development are just utter bullshit. There is a 'road' which goes a fair way along the trek now but not only has it really helped the local communities, it's also not busy at ALL. It's more like a dirt track than a road anyway. As well as this, you can walk the whole way now on these new trails that a group of people have made that avoid the road entirely. It's unbelievably peaceful, the road hasn't ruined it in the slightest, and these new trails have opened up some really really cool villages that you wouldn't see otherwise.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
If ya'll want to make a 2017 thread in here go ahead, and the death pool is fine IMO as long as it doesn't become the only thing the thread is about. Cool mountaineering stories, news, pictures, info and media, along with the somewhat morbid but tongue-ish in cheek death pool is fine with me and I can do what I can with 6 hour probies for people who try to poo poo it up concern trolling. Just put something in thread rules like "if you're only here to complain about the death pool then don't read the thread" and I'd consider it a 6 hour probateable offensive if they kept at it and had no other contribution to the thread. If they were contributing other content but expressing some negative opinions about it, then I think some dialogue about it is fine as long as it doesn't turn into a shitshow.

I'd guess Picnic Princeess would be onboard with that too but don't want to speak for her. You can always PM us if someone is making GBS threads up a thread

Or we can namechange this thread if you want

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

11 Robo Reagan, Bob Loblaw, Amgard, GiantAmazonianOtter, SLICK GOKU BABY, Ziggy Starfucker, a cyberpunk goose (10.5 rounded up)

I made my joke guess and moved along, no time to look back ~~ that's the true spirit of mountaineering

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I vote for specific bets rather than pure death counts, in the style of my suplex joke bet. Way more interesting than pages of people being like

quote:

11! HAIL CHOMOLOMUNGMAH

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My opinion of the death pool was it was only supposed to be for quality submissions like old Photoshop Friday threads.

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
What happened to green boots?
Did someone manage to move him and didn't another guy die beside him?

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Llyr posted:

What happened to green boots?
Did someone manage to move him and didn't another guy die beside him?

I thought he was frozen to the mountain, but yes apparently he went missing in 2014

The guy who died in that cave along side was Brit David Sharp

djssniper fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 10, 2017

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

djssniper posted:

I thought he was frozen to the mountain, but yes apparently he went missing in 2014

This thread has angered him. He is coming for us. :ohdear:

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
Maybe he pulled a Beck Weathers and wasnt actually dead to begin with. Just gathering his strength.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I feel like there should be a folk song called 'The Ballad of Green Boots'.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DumbparameciuM posted:

*ahem*, I've been promised a John Cena doll for whenever that hypoxic tourist suplexes a sherpa off the Kangshung Face. I don't come to this thread for the death pool though. Not sure why we needed to make a 2017 thread, especially one in GBS when this one is perfectly suitable but then I am a garbage dick noobie and I still don't really get how most of this gigantic internet dungeon operates so w/e.

This one right? If there's any interest I might do a run of printed ones. Nowhere near as cool or legit as the embroidered ones though :saddowns:

I would definitely get one, as the OP of these last few sick threads it'd be my duty.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Rondette posted:

I would definitely get one, as the OP of these last few sick threads it'd be my duty.

I'll let you know once I have this together.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

Aphex- posted:

I went in October and the weather was wonderful, never rained, mostly clear blue skies too. Other stuff I took was just the usual hiking maguffins, trekking poles, first aid, suncream and lip balm, wet wipes were really useful, sun hat, gloves (make sure they're windproof because mine weren't and the morning we went over the pass it was so cold my hands went completely numb), winter hat, polarised sunglasses and a buff. Buffs are amazing and I can't get enough of them. All of this stuff including the sleeping bag fit very comfortably into my 50L pack. My friend managed to do it with a 33L pack but he kind of regretted it afterwards because it just was too full and wasn't comfortable most of the time.

I did a little write up with some pictures earlier in the thread somewhere which I can dig up if you want to know more about it. The trip was absolutely loving incredible and Nepal is somewhere where I am DEFINITELY going to go back to because it's just a really really cool place. I want to do EBC like Elwood did, also the Manaslu trek looks awesome and a lot less developed than the Annapurna Circuit. I just wish I had time when I was there to do the Annapurna base camp trek too. I read Annapurna by Maurice Herzog when I was there and it was very cool passing through places he went when he did the first ascent to it. Oh yeah on that note a kindle is essential.

I wouldn't mind if you can dig up that post, I didn't find it. Nvm found it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762301&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=60#post466315771

I'm planning on doing this hike with my girlfriend. Did you guys wing it? I understand October is high season and teahouses might be full, how did you deal with that?

Rojkir fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 11, 2017

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Rojkir posted:

I wouldn't mind if you can dig up that post, I didn't find it. Nvm found it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762301&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=60#post466315771

I'm planning on doing this hike with my girlfriend. Did you guys wing it? I understand October is high season and teahouses might be full, how did you deal with that?

Yup that's the post!

We sort of winged it yeah, just read up about it beforehand but there's nothing you need to book or anything before getting there. You just need to make sure to get your TIMS card and ACAP permit when you get to Kathmandu, you can just ask people at your hostel or hotel where to get that from, it's simple enough.

Yeah we went were there in the busy season, but to be honest until we got to Manang which is like a week into the trek, we maybe saw like 1 or 2 other groups of trekkers each day on the trail. After Manang it did get busier because people are more concentrated and there are generally fewer teahouses higher up, but as long as you start early and finish early, getting a room should be no problem at all. We generally started walking between 07:30 and 08:30 and finished anywhere between 14:00 to 17:00 depending on the day and how we felt. Also after Manang I would highly recommend doing the side trek to Tilicho Lake when you're there because it's an awesome trail. Another thing is to get a map of the circuit when you're in Kathmandu, one which shows the NATT routes because they are great and avoid the road for the most part. We got this book - http://amzn.eu/7P67TW4 - on kindle and it was really handy to read at the end of every day to plan the next day and get a good idea of where to go and how to get there.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

First movie in my little mountain DVD festival, Meru.

Overall rating: :yikes:

There's a certain amount of self-dramatisation (and fundraising) in this one, not least because Jimmy Chin is the mountaineering photographer (and director here), but also because that's what mountaineers are. There's two DVD extras that may come on netflix, Spirituality and Finding Your Calling which are worth watching before the main movie. Because you may find it difficult to believe otherwise. What am I saying, you'll still find it difficult.

Unusually, it goes into more about the personalities of the climbers than the technicalities. There's an insight into their journey and their partners, and there's a certain helplessness about mountains, like that between Mallory, Ruth and Everest. But as Krakauer, who semi-narrates, says, they really have no idea what these men are doing to themselves.

I don't think this movie improves understanding a great deal more even from an insiders's view. Mountains are just this...thing with them. There's no better explanation after watching this, because I certainly don't understand it, even as I am fascinated by it.

Next up: Everest - Unfinished Business.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just watched Meru. It was ok, definitely no Touching The Void. The thing that struck me at the end was the dude whose just had his head smashed a few months ago and still manages to put up an incredible first ascent- he's still feeling like it's charity that they let him come. I guess it kinda was, those two have enough clout they could pull any elite mountaineer they wanted?

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Even less reasons for goons not to go up yonder:

http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/news/2017-02-08/govt-mulls-setting-up-free-wifi-zones-at-everest-annapurna-regions.html

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Epitope posted:

I just watched Meru. It was ok, definitely no Touching The Void. The thing that struck me at the end was the dude whose just had his head smashed a few months ago and still manages to put up an incredible first ascent- he's still feeling like it's charity that they let him come. I guess it kinda was, those two have enough clout they could pull any elite mountaineer they wanted?

For those kind of small climbing teams, each guy is trusting the others with their life. If it was your life on the line would you want your partner to be a perfectly healthy and fit guy or a guy with a serious spinal injury who was nearly not able to walk and ends up having a stroke on the route?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

gohuskies posted:

For those kind of small climbing teams, each guy is trusting the others with their life. If it was your life on the line would you want your partner to be a perfectly healthy and fit guy or a guy with a serious spinal injury who was nearly not able to walk and ends up having a stroke on the route?

It's also good to have someone you know and that know you work well together. And someone who knows the area. It seems to me the results should have dispelled the feeling somewhat.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'll just say this about Conrad Ankers, what's with adding the degree of difficulty on every climb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Everest - Unfinished Business (2007)

Overall rating: :catstare:

This is an Australian documentary. Four policemen plan to scale Everest. If you've never seen Australian current affairs shows, there's some unintentional comedy you'll miss. Female reporters on these shows all copy the cadences of Jana Wendt (as do many comedians), and this is narrated by an alumni of that school: Jennifer Adams was a news reader who married a footballer, now freelance presenter who clearly insisted to be brought along. Now the drama begins by retelling the tail of the boss who went off to scale a mountain for training but forgot to take his St Christopher medal. *horror chords*. Died of a heart attack from altitude. Somehow he was brought home through the efforts of the state police commissioner who got the Chinese to fly him out. Of course this made the other three policemen determined to "finish the job". Cue heroic music. Cue colourful shots of the trek in. The cops bring their spouses along. As a side venture, they also raise $130k for the Make A Wish Foundation with the climb.

But things get tough. One cop gets the flu. Another carries a skiing injury but refuses to leave. They're all suffering from altitude already. Adams frequently does pieces to camera and bemoans her own altitude issues. She does one at the Everest memorial area. This doesn't deter anyone. Adams finally gets ordered back down after a nearly fatal incident.. 8 other people die from altitude in the area. This doesn't deter anyone. They all get to base camp, and Adams returns. The team concentrates on acclimatising for two months. One cop gets frostbite. Another misses a high avalanche by a whisker. Then Camp 1 gets avalanched (this is 2006/2007) and a helicopter crashes on landing. Finally it's time for the push, up the Khumbu icefall on the South route.

They get to camp 3. A north side expedition ends in disaster with 3 dead and 4 missing. This doesn't deter anyone. But the wind is picking up. And its too windy now to fix ropes so they have to get down to camp 2 and hope the weather. By now they're all sick, one has bronchitis, another has a virus, the third has laryngitis and his frostbite hasn't healed. They head up to camp 3. One needs oxygen to make it through the night but refuses to give in and they get to camp 4. They start for the summit at night, in 40 kph winds. They summit in a gale. There's a loss of focus for a montage of summit joy and then per functionary climb down scenes until they reach base camp. They leave a message on a rock for their lost leader. And suddenly its over.

Perhaps mindful of the unfocused ending to the doco, a Special Descent Video on the DVD is included which is nothing more than the guys co-narrating over a confusing shoulder minicam video of part of the descent. And they relate the dangers of the climb down which clearly didn't resonate enough with the documentary makers, climbers who had died, the steepness, and the deadly tiredness of the death zone - for almost an hour, slightly longer than the documentary itself, and is frankly more interesting. The video itself seems agonisingly centred on a section below the Hillary Step. They agree the hardest part of the climb was getting down, much harder than the going up. Towards the end, they're talking mystically about getting permission from the mountain and giving their fate into its hands.

Overall it's not a documentary that engages you emotionally, it's triumphal and shallow. Adams inserts herself repeatedly on the way in and disappears to leave the guys themselves to film the climb and return. The blandness might be due to a TV presentation focus, but you're left with a Boys Own Adventure view of a climb that was much more dangerous and foolhardy. Skip it in favour of the descent video if you can find it.

Next up: Everest - The Mountain At The Millennium.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 14, 2017