Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hot Karl Marx posted:

They're usually black

I mean I know but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Untagged posted:

For educational purposes here are the current Federal penalties for simple weed possession:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

There are mandatory minimum sentencing for misdemeanor drug offenses?
:stare:
Perhaps the biggest potential snag to legalizing weed (or anything currently illegal) is our prison system. For the past few decades, our prison system has largely become a for-profit industry. That industry has their own lobbyists who fight to make more things into prison-worthy offenses, and to add more minimum prison sentences. They spend millions of dollars on bribes/campaign contributions, and some of the lawmakers have more direct ties. When you hear numbers saying we have a higher percentage of our population behind bars than almost anywhere else, it's because there's money to be made from imprisoning people. Some states even enter into contracts with the prison where they promise to keep those prisons filled.

Short version: Policy on who should go to jail in the USA is heavily influenced by the jails who want more inmates for more profit.

Has this had a visible impact? Well...

(They double-dip too, contracting the prisoners out to work jobs for pennies an hour, which also means those companies using prison labor won't be hiring non-prisoners for those jobs.)

Turning an illegal thing legal, especially something that has jailed as many people as weed, would be a massive hit to their bottom lines. Rationality may win in the end, but the prisons will definitely not let it go without a fight.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 10, 2017

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

9th Circuit posted:

Nevertheless, we hold that the Government has not shown a likelihood of success on the merits of its appeal, nor has it shown that failure to enter a stay would cause irreparable injury, and we therefore deny its emergency motion for a stay.
http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2017/02/09/17-35105.pdf

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

According to my mother, (aka the propaganda outlets she listens to) crime is up like 300% in states with legal weed, so if they decide to go after it I'd expect that's the drum they're going to bang.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/829835829635907586

https://twitter.com/TerryMoran/status/829834278401880064

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/829835503671316485

This court ruling is basically "well, you didn't shut the gently caress up, Donnie"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

quote:

To the contrary, while counseling
deference to the national security determinations of the
political branches, the Supreme Court has made clear that
STATE OF WASHINGTON V. TRUMP 17
the Government’s “authority and expertise in [such] matters
do not automatically trump the Court’s own obligation
to
secure the protection that the Constitution grants to
individuals,” even in times of war.

They're loving with him, aren't they? "Supersede" would have been perfectly fine, right? :lol:

I mean, maybe I'm biased towards wanting them to gently caress with him and it's a perfectly fine term to use in that situation.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Breaking news! Trump tweet!

He's now resorted to all capital letters.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/829836231802515457

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Also saw this in the other thread but I'm sure it's nothing since we are in the mirror universe but still its one of those things that sounds nice to read at least

https://twitter.com/countable/status/829821297496571908/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You got scooped last page, joat.

The court balked on reaching the merits of anything other than clearly establishing that the states had standing to sue. The whole thing reads like no matter what the government argues they will lose on the due process claims. The court completely passed on looking at the 1st amendment claim. I think all in all the 9th circuit is trying to signal the president that he is going to lose on this order on the due process claim regardless of anything else, and he would save himself a lot of trouble and embarrassment on the 1st amendment claims if he just withdrew the order and let it go.

Since this is trump I think this will get appealed to SCOTUS immediately and he'll fight it tooth and nail till the end.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNr0WXQ3Ho4

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

YES! Get ready to lose a supreme court challenge within your first year, Donnie :getin:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Welp. :lol:

I wonder if the SCOTUS will just take up the case whole cloth or if they'll just deny the appeal of the 9th circuit and let the district court and 9th take a stab at the injunction first with a full record.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Deathy McDeath posted:

YES! Get ready to lose a supreme court challenge within your first quarter, Donnie :getin:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I'm literally dumbfounded at the response.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The electorate courts decided. Get over it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hey, 9th Circuit Judges, if you hear trump boarded AF1 with a gun in his hands, don't see him in court.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

Hey, 9th Circuit Judges, if you hear trump boarded AF1 with a gun in his hands, don't see him in court.

I too am worried about the damage that <insert caliber of firearm Trump's tiny hands can hold> will do to a grown adult.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Why are people happy this will go to SCOTUS? Isn't donnie gunna name some judges that will probably rule in favor of him

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Waroduce posted:

Why are people happy this will go to SCOTUS? Isn't donnie gunna name some judges that will probably rule in favor of him

Gorsuch is replacing Scalia, so the makeup of the Court will be back to where it was during the Obama administration. Kennedy remains the swing vote.

Allowing this to go through is a huge power grab for the executive at the expense of the judiciary, which would be a terrible precedent to set for other challenges to Trump's executive powers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Waroduce posted:

Gorsuch isn't even out of committee yet let alone at the bench. At this point the SCOTUS will probably just deny cert and let the district court issue an injunction with a full record.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Waroduce posted:

Because even counting just the four liberal justices, Kennedy would be likely to join that majority and strike down the EO.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

We need an amalgamation of :qq: and :smugdon:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Handsome Ralph posted:

Because even counting just the four liberal justices, Kennedy would be likely to join that majority and strike down the EO.

Hell, I'd be willing to say that Thomas joins the majority out of respect for checks and balances.

Roberts might also join the majority because he has a thing for the legacy of the Court, and being the guy in charge of the Supreme Court that let the executive branch completely nullify the judiciary is probably not on his bucket list.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Or maybe a smilie of a beet red Donnie with steam shooting out of his ears

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You guys are missing the big picture. The 9th was unanimous because this fails the due process requirement of the 5th really loving hard. They said that government is going to lose on that claim. They specifically didn't discuss the religious part of it because I'm guessing they couldn't get Clifton to sign onto that.

You might get dissenting opinions on the 1st amendment claim, but I'm pretty sure it's an 8-0 on due process.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/829841388170784768

lol

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Stop it Donnie we are tired of winning

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Yeah this case absolutely goes badly for them if it goes to SCOTUS.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Yeah this case absolutely goes badly for them if it goes to SCOTUS.

I do want to see whatever DoJ attorney they have up there trying to argue the case, though.

It's like the one moment that I wish Scalia was still alive just because of how that oral argument would proceed.

Sunset
Aug 15, 2005

Robot Hobo posted:

Perhaps the biggest potential snag to legalizing weed (or anything currently illegal) is our prison system. For the past few decades, our prison system has largely become a for-profit industry. That industry has their own lobbyists who fight to make more things into prison-worthy offenses, and to add more minimum prison sentences. They spend millions of dollars on bribes/campaign contributions, and some of the lawmakers have more direct ties. When you hear numbers saying we have a higher percentage of our population behind bars than almost anywhere else, it's because there's money to be made from imprisoning people. Some states even enter into contracts with the prison where they promise to keep those prisons filled.

Short version: Policy on who should go to jail in the USA is heavily influenced by the jails who want more inmates for more profit.

Has this had a visible impact? Well...

(They double-dip too, contracting the prisoners out to work jobs for pennies an hour, which also means those companies using prison labor won't be hiring non-prisoners for those jobs.)

Turning an illegal thing legal, especially something that has jailed as many people as weed, would be a massive hit to their bottom lines. Rationality may win in the end, but the prisons will definitely not let it go without a fight.

Slavery never perished. It simply underwent makeovers with periodic stages of re-inventing and tactics that allow for large amounts of money to be made by its handlers throughout history. It will never go away as long as people put greed and profit over compassion and love for each other. I could never really understand the legality over the whole contracts over ensuring that X number of beds stay filled, though I can certainly understand the (profit) motive for it. Nothing really surprises me anymore with where my reading and research has taken me. You could tell me we have colonizes on the moon/mars, that technology ten-twenty/x years ahead of our time has been kept in the hands of a few for profit or personal interests. I wouldn't blink an eye. Until we stop thinking only about ourselves and start thinking and caring about each other it all makes so much sense. Would love to start seeing others care as much about each other as I feel towards everyone. I know there's some of you out there.. :)

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

redneck nazgul posted:

Deathy McDeath posted:

YES! Get ready to lose a supreme court challenge within your first quarter, Donnie :getin:

If this goes fast enough, could it be within the first month?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Play this while reading the resulting reactionary tweet when trump loses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

E they should replace hail to the chief with horns.aiff at an official event just once.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Man I can never tell if donnys tweets are real or shopped, my brain straight up just refuses to accept that they're legit :psyduck:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Maybe I'm tripping but that tweet just like got even bigger font, but I don't know twitter very well

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bonus points if he uses his tiny hands to knock out the person controlling @potus and tweets out an all caps rant about how the courts should know their place.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Trump probably thinks he's gonna take this to court and settle it like he did with Trump U.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Thats not how supreme court challenges work Donnie

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A surprisingly restrained response from trump on his way to dinner with a deflated basketball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

shh, if you listen you can hear trump screaming like a baby / typing nonsense into his phone about liberal judiciary

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/829836231802515457

edit: beaten but still a glorious tweet

• Locked thread