Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The first episode of Legion sure was something. Interesting to see if they can keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I have no idea what to make of Legion so far, but I'm curious enough to watch more.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

McSpanky posted:

I went in deliberately avoiding the spoilers and loved every minute of it, I don't get people who have to read the last page of the book first.

Some people just enjoy content differently. The same person decided on a whim that she didn't want to watch La La Land because apparently 'it has a sad ending'. She found this out by a reading a plot synopsis. :suicide:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DivisionPost posted:

Oh, sweet Christ, Riverdale. First of all, Shannon Purser's episode aired today (she plays Ethel Muggs), and at the end of the episode, Cheryl Blossom tosses off "#JusticeForEthel" as a line. I thought it was funny. Fight me.

But that's not what drove me here. Preview for next week airs: You know how we were kinda rolling our eyes about Miss Grundy suddenly being a hot cougar because it's the CW (and also because she was loving Archie)? Well, turns out she might have stolen the real Miss Grundy's identity so now that's gonna be a drat thing on top of all the other drat things in this loving show.

I think I'm in love, guys.

:stare: I love this show

E: the "maple" stuff and revenge-shaming didn't really do it for me this week though, felt hokey and cartoony in a way that doesn't quite fit with the rest of the show to me.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 10, 2017

Onigami Nanashi
Aug 29, 2006
The truth is in here.

Mu Zeta posted:

Tarsem Singh is terrible

I feel like such a newbie because everybody's judging things on who wrote them and what they did before or who directed and their entire body of work. I had to google who this dude was before I knew what was being talked about.

I saw a good-looking preview with some good-looking actors and decided to give it a shot.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

McSpanky posted:

I went in deliberately avoiding the spoilers and loved every minute of it, I don't get people who have to read the last page of the book first.

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/spoiler-alert-spoilers-make-you-enjoy-stories-more

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The age before printed review must've been sheer agony for these folks :ohdear:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Onigami Nanashi posted:

I feel like such a newbie because everybody's judging things on who wrote them and what they did before or who directed and their entire body of work. I had to google who this dude was before I knew what was being talked about.

I saw a good-looking preview with some good-looking actors and decided to give it a shot.

You should watch THE FALL, it's absolutely one of the best-looking movies of all time

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

You should watch THE FALL, it's absolutely one of the best-looking movies of all time

How does it end?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

No, seriously watch The Fall, its images will blow your goddamn mind and then realizing that there was 0 CGI (aside from cleanup work removing wires and such) will blow your mind AGAIN.

Also the backstory of this guy networking for 15 years during his career then calling in every favor and spending virtually all his money to make his dream project is great.

Also the 6 year old girl playing the main character is possibly the best little kid performance in all of cinema.

It's just...it's so good you guys.

e: that said it's a complete mood piece, if you mainly enjoy movies for their plot or their characters you'll be bored to tears.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BSam posted:

How does it end?

They all got old and died.
__________/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The ending of Hannibal S03 E05 is the most tv has made me smile in some months.

precision posted:

I feel like I must be broken because I legitimately don't enjoy watching lovely people out themselves as lovely. It just makes me depressed.

Thing is, I've known these lovely people are out there for ages, so I just enjoy when something pushes their buttons and makes them go insane. I can't get rid of them, but at least I can get some schadenfreude.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

whowhatwhere posted:

e: that said it's a complete mood piece, if you mainly enjoy movies for their plot or their characters you'll be bored to tears.

I dunno, that describes me yet I was entranced by it. It's really good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

The ending of Hannibal S03 E05 is the most tv has made me smile in some months.

Might be my favourite scene of an amazing season. So drat satisfying.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Watch Immortals and Self/Less next to see how far Tarsem has fallen.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The opening of the most recent Legends of Tomorrow was the most awesome thing ever.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Onigami Nanashi posted:

It used to be opinions on actors that drove people judge a show before they saw it. Showrunners driving that opinion is a relatively new thing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Which is a much better method of judgement imo

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He's not actually the showrunner though -- that's Shaun Cassidy, of Invasion and American Gothic.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

I feel like this is a perfect summation of the show.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's exactly frame for frame how it appeared in a promo too, nobody edited that gif for timing or to add the logo at the end, that was all marketing

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CW has been pretty on point with their marketing lately.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Riverdale is awesome and it seems to be getting good reviews. CW has a good crop of shows.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Just posting to remind everyone that The Mick is loving incredible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

Just posting to remind everyone that The Mick is loving incredible.

I loved the Pilot and episode 2, but episode 3 was kind of "eh". I'll stick with it because I love Olsen.

Also, me when watching episode 3: "I liked this show better when it was called Grounded For Life".

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You Me Her is weird loving show.

I like it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

He's not actually the showrunner though -- that's Shaun Cassidy, of Invasion and American Gothic.

Incorrectly judging a show based on the wrong person is also the modern method.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

X-O posted:

Travelers being renewed is amazing news. Everyone go watch Travelers.

I'm two episodes in and it owns thanks for the rec

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
I tried to watch Scandal just now, but it can't keep up with reality.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

Just wait until the next season of House of Cards comes around, reality is officially stranger than fiction.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Are they even going to bother bringing Veep back? What could they even do? Selena just tweeting at an evil Nazi president? Been there.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Veep's coming back in April. I would hope they sidestep Trump-ian antics and instead show the Hillary-parallel story of what Selena does after losing the presidency.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Roughly 15 minutes into Riverdale episode 1 and it's... interesting. The show definitely has a pretty distinct visual language, with colors that are just a little too vibrant to be real gelling well with characters who are just slightly larger than life. The twangy guitar soundtrack, the high school setting, and the fact that the show literally begins with a death and a teacher-student affair makes me think of some demented bizarro-world Friday Night Lights.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

I tried to start watching The West Wing last week and couldn't do it. Just felt like an idealistic utopian sci-fi show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

I loved the Pilot and episode 2, but episode 3 was kind of "eh". I'll stick with it because I love Olsen.

Also, me when watching episode 3: "I liked this show better when it was called Grounded For Life".

Episode 3 is the weakest one IMO but episode 4 is by far the best.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Yer Burnt posted:

Veep's coming back in April. I would hope they sidestep Trump-ian antics and instead show the Hillary-parallel story of what Selena does after losing the presidency.

They already have a trump character in Jonah

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
On episode 2 now, and Riverdale is weirdly delightful. Can't really explain why. The image of the waterlogged corpse with a giant bullet hole in his forehead and horrified death-snarl is just so over-the-top morbid when contrasted with all the 'sex-having teenagers and their crazy antics' that we got for most of the previous episode that I can't help but laugh at the contrast.

I've been trying to come up with what it reminds me of, and I think I've hit it: it's like one of those perfectly ordinary dime-a-dozen high school shows that goes on way too long, that incorporates a murder mystery as, like, a 5th season ratings stunt.

Only they're skipping the previous five seasons.

It's just so delightfully absurd. "What's this show about?" "Young love! The trials and tribulations of being a teenager! The expectations of family! Dreams and hopes for the future! Oh, and GRISLY MURDER."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So the second season of FNL then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Shageletic posted:

So the second season of FNL then

Pretty much, except it... works? Season 2 of FNL fell flat because it was a complete betrayal of everything that came before. Riverdale is full-on murdercrazy from the get-go. I just watched a scene where the main girl's mom bribes a creepy coroner for details and a close look at the dead guy's body. Not for any particular reason besides the fact that she loving hated that kid, because he dated her other daughter and it ended badly. She literally walked out of the shadows while the creepy coroner was giving his report and handed him an envelope full of cash so she could gloat at a dead kid's corpse.

This show is amazing.

• Locked thread