Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Dangersim posted:

Which divisions has aldo looked invincible in?

The same one but hes 1 inch shorter so it counts more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dangersim posted:

I your in such poor shape you start gassing minutes in your doing a really lovely job of being a professional athlete.

Mma athletes have to balance a lot of competing concerns in their sport. The fact that gas problems aren't uncommon should tip you off that the kind of training fighters need to do can make it hard to keep up with cardio.

Or to be more disingenuous, do you expect Usain Bolt to run marathons?

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I don't really care about who has the more impressive resume between Aldo and McGregor, I just wish McGregor would come back and defend his belt rather than chase an extremely stupid, though insanely lucrative, boxing match with Floyd Mayweather.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

manyak posted:

The same one but hes 1 inch shorter so it counts more

and a few more inches shorter where it counts ;)

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Mma athletes have to balance a lot of competing concerns in their sport. The fact that gas problems aren't uncommon should tip you off that the kind of training fighters need to do can make it hard to keep up with cardio.

Or to be more disingenuous, do you expect Usain Bolt to run marathons?

You don't go from "gas in a few minutes" to "go five hard rounds" in a 12 week training camp.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dangersim posted:

You don't go from "gas in a few minutes" to "go five hard rounds" in a 12 week training camp.

conor did

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

He...
managed his energy better.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Snowman_McK posted:

I think that if Aldo really put his mind to it and transcended, like Conor, he could go on to win an unconvincing decision over the man that soundly beat him the first time.

Still wanna see it

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Novum posted:

Still wanna see it

So do I.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Yoel called into Mike Bisping's radio (?) show, and DJ Mikey B went back to his "toilet store" verbal skills, calling Yoel "poopie pants"

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmrush/yoel-romero-calls-in-to-confront-michael-bisping-after-twitter-battle

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Does dee devlin have to push you off conor's dick every time she wants a hug? Dang man.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

LobsterMobster posted:

Yoel called into Mike Bisping's radio (?) show, and DJ Mikey B went back to his "toilet store" verbal skills, calling Yoel "poopie pants"

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmrush/yoel-romero-calls-in-to-confront-michael-bisping-after-twitter-battle

Yoel: I Love you, Mike (licks lips, grins, bobs head up and down)
Bisping: you are poop pants, you poop your pants
Yoel: (bobbing head up and down, grins wildly, gestures like he's got to take a break)
Bisping: Poopoo man. Big poopoo.smell poop.
Bisping: poopie but

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

hes going to have to fix that aspect of his game if he wants to beat michael bisping

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dangersim posted:

He...
managed his energy better.

Sounds like he did a good job of being a professional athlete then.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

has fightpass become an unplayable piece of poo poo for anyone else? i haven't used it in a while and it's really struggling to play a fight library fight at a decent resolution.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Dangersim posted:

you can do most of the work in a couple of weeks if youve been there before. although i have to wonder why fighters are letting their cardio slip so far in the first place ,seems like somewhere that the game could improve

I.N.R.I fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 10, 2017

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

has fightpass become an unplayable piece of poo poo for anyone else? i haven't used it in a while and it's really struggling to play a fight library fight at a decent resolution.

It sucks sometimes

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

you can do most of the work in a couple of weeks if youve been there before. although i have to wonder why fighters are letting their cardio slip so far in the first place ,seems like somewhere that the game could improve

the fight camp cycle is extremely physically and mentally taxing. way more than other sports i've done. after every single fight i've ever had i immediately turn into a slovenly piece of poo poo for a few months and i'm only in the gym like twice a week to do really low key stuff.

i can't really explain it, and i'd like to think if i was getting paid tens of thousands and it was my literal job that it'd be different but i'm not alone in that attitude even in the ranks of world class pros.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

actually basically every fight camp starts with me feeling bad about being fat after the last fight, so i'll go back to training to look good again, but there's no sense training without purpose... sure i'll take a fight..... 2-3 months later....

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Marching Powder posted:

actually basically every fight camp starts with me feeling bad about being fat after the last fight, so i'll go back to training to look good again, but there's no sense training without purpose... sure i'll take a fight..... 2-3 months later....

Do you mind telling us what at what weight you compete? I'm just trying to picture the severity of your cut.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

the fight camp cycle is extremely physically and mentally taxing. way more than other sports i've done. after every single fight i've ever had i immediately turn into a slovenly piece of poo poo for a few months and i'm only in the gym like twice a week to do really low key stuff.

i can't really explain it, and i'd like to think if i was getting paid tens of thousands and it was my literal job that it'd be different but i'm not alone in that attitude even in the ranks of world class pros.

everyone has peaks and valleys when it comes to motivation, i really think its somewhere the coaching could improve if anything. i suppose the gyms arent employing the fighters that represent them so theres only so much authority they can exercise over them

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Captain Log posted:

Do you mind telling us what at what weight you compete? I'm just trying to picture the severity of your cut.

competed. past tense. thank god. 72kg, which is like... 160ish? i cut from 78 usually, which is ~12 pounds i think, and that was cool, but once i cut from 82 due to life getting in the way of my camp and it was miserable. i won the first two rounds before gassing hard and getting thoroughly bashed in the third. the fight was a draw and i retired from getting punched for leisure.

e oh and the tough cut i missed weight by 2lbs. sorry, my opponent.

Marching Powder fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 10, 2017

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

LobsterMobster posted:

There are only like 7 ballots for the MMA awards, get some votes in, please?

Thread

I was gonna vote but I'm not filling out a ballot for my top three thirty different things that happened last year. Someone do the math on how many options that thing is asking for its way too loving many

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Weight management loving sucks. I've water cut twice and dieted twice for judo and BJJ tournaments, and never any amount that anyone would consider "a big cut" by MMA standards. My biggest was 12 lb (158 to 146) in 8 days.

It saps all of the fun out of it. After my last one I made several training partners swear to not let me compete at any weight other than "here's what I showed up at" ever again. Even there, coming into this past weekend, the memories of the unfun stress from the past tournaments where I did weight management were tainting my weekend.

Now if my income and reputation had depended on it? And if I had to keep training full time around the weight management instead of just eating small sodium-free meals while working a desk job? Well fuuuuck that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gay Horney posted:

I was gonna vote but I'm not filling out a ballot for my top three thirty different things that happened last year. Someone do the math on how many options that thing is asking for its way too loving many

Just go through and vote on the things for which you can think of an immediate answer. If you just do the first thing that comes to mind it takes like 2 minutes.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I've never cut more than 5-7 pounds but each time I wanted to die.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

When I almost died I wasn't allowed to have water or food through my mouth hole for two weeks. Every time I became cognizant I instantly wanted to know when I could have water. It was typically enough to break me back into the space between conscious and out of your mind.

(Don't get acute/chronic pancreatitis kids.)

I seriously cannot imagine being expected to function on any level when you are thoroughly deprived.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Marching Powder posted:

competed. past tense. thank god. 72kg, which is like... 160ish? i cut from 78 usually, which is ~12 pounds i think, and that was cool, but once i cut from 82 due to life getting in the way of my camp and it was miserable. i won the first two rounds before gassing hard and getting thoroughly bashed in the third. the fight was a draw and i retired from getting punched for leisure.

e oh and the tough cut i missed weight by 2lbs. sorry, my opponent.

Posted too quick - Here is the second half -

Did you have any heavyweights cutting weight when you did? I'm curious if it's a harder or easier overall experience depending on weight. gently caress, should probably go to the training thread.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Captain Log posted:

Posted too quick - Here is the second half -

Did you have any heavyweights cutting weight when you did? I'm curious if it's a harder or easier overall experience depending on weight. gently caress, should probably go to the training thread.

We've all got the same percentage of water in our body, more or less, so 12 pounds for a much bigger guy would be easier to do than a much smaller guy. 12lbs ain't poo poo to a 250 pound guy, but 12lbs is like 10% of mighty mouse.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Captain Log posted:

When I almost died I wasn't allowed to have water or food through my mouth hole for two weeks. Every time I became cognizant I instantly wanted to know when I could have water. It was typically enough to break me back into the space between conscious and out of your mind.

(Don't get acute/chronic pancreatitis kids.)

I seriously cannot imagine being expected to function on any level when you are thoroughly deprived.

I had pancreatitis this previous fall. Loved it lol

I have never cut more than 10 lbs for tournaments but it's never been easy. The first 8 aren't bad but it's the last few that suck the life out of you

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dangersim posted:

Does he though?

He's literally never defended one of the four belts he's held in MMA, so yeah, he does, quite a long way to go actually. He can start by defending a featherweight title.

Aldo vs Conor also taught us exactly one thing about how these two match up and little else. Conor has the ability to sleep Aldo with the right punch at the right time. That's only one part of the puzzle in a fight and there's a poo poo load more to that match up. People treat it like Cain vs JDS at the end of their trilogy, rather than what it really was, a Cain vs JDS 1 where a total hammer of a punch put the other dude out and left more questions than answers about the two. Don't take that to mean Aldo is the Cain of this match up and would come back and dominate Conor in a rematch either.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Ik_963tqI

The headline is wrong, it's worth watching for the bit where "Yoel" comes on.

(Not sure if it really is him)

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Aldo would beat Conor in a rematch because Conor lost to Nate Diaz, who is a bad fighter

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

-Atom- posted:

Aldo would beat Conor in a rematch because Conor lost to Nate Diaz, who is a bad fighter

He's an extremely good fighter with an obvious red x weak point that conor does not have the tools to exploit. Diaz even had a wrestling advantage for crying out loud and conor going 1 and 1 with him is cool. Not jaw-droppingly impressive but cool.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Marching Powder posted:

He's an extremely good fighter with an obvious red x weak point that conor does not have the tools to exploit. Diaz even had a wrestling advantage for crying out loud and conor going 1 and 1 with him is cool. Not jaw-droppingly impressive but cool.

Nate has always given me the impression that he's not super interested in fighting and has probably never truly fulfilled his ~~~*potential*~~~ I've always thought he was watchable though, especially when Rory McDonald was dropping him on his head. As MP says though he's a very Anti-Conor fighter and would be a troublesome match up for any FW/LW counter-striker.

I'm of the opinion that McGregor and Kavanagh are prepping (in so far as one preps for a theoretical fight 8 months from now) for fighting Khabib later in the year, they've had an American wrestling gold medalist in SBG last month. I on the other hand, think Ugly Tony will tune up Khabib and look forward to 209 in the immediate term.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Southpaugh posted:

Nate has always given me the impression that he's not super interested in fighting and has probably never truly fulfilled his ~~~*potential*~

It's the only interesting first hand experience I can share so I always like to tell it but I had a long chat with Nate in person and he genuinely dislikes fighting. He takes it (admittedly) irrationally personally when people sign a contract to hurt him for money and that's where his animosity towards his opponents stems from. He says he'd be 100%happy just teaching jiu jitsu, smoking weed, and running triathlons, but it just so happens he's one of the best fighters in the world and it pays real well.

He's a really cool person and I'm a fan of his as a fighter and a person (and he's a loving excellent jiu jitsu instructor) and the thought of him teaching kids and smoking weed with millions of dollars makes me really happy.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

It's the only interesting first hand experience I can share so I always like to tell it but I had a long chat with Nate in person and he genuinely dislikes fighting. He takes it (admittedly) irrationally personally when people sign a contract to hurt him for money and that's where his animosity towards his opponents stems from. He says he'd be 100%happy just teaching jiu jitsu, smoking weed, and running triathlons, but it just so happens he's one of the best fighters in the world and it pays real well.

He's a really cool person and I'm a fan of his as a fighter and a person (and he's a loving excellent jiu jitsu instructor) and the thought of him teaching kids and smoking weed with millions of dollars makes me really happy.

Im gonna tell him you called him mentally retarded to win a debate with me about smoking weed in competition :mrgw:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

Im gonna tell him you called him mentally retarded to win a debate with me about smoking weed in competition :mrgw:

i actually said that growing up in stockton might make you uneducated, but that absolutely does not make you mentally retarded. you're thinking of some other guy.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

So like, have you seen any of his fights after Roop?

He got a lot better with countering at distance and conserving energy after Roop, but he did a lot of wild poo poo even in his best performances against Poirier and Aldo. I thought the Bermudez fight kind of looked like a return to a more brawling style, with how much he was getting tagged. But you're probably right and I'm wrong... it would have been harder to control range the way Bermudez was looking for the takedown, at least until he timed the uppercut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Marching Powder posted:

i actually said that growing up in stockton might make you uneducated, but that absolutely does not make you mentally retarded. you're thinking of some other guy.

I'd keep my head low Nate's gonna find out you called him retarded.

• Locked thread