Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Drifter posted:

I'd actually suggest you buy a cast iron skillet (I don't know what they're called, the long thing that you cook lots of pancakes on)

Griddle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Good man. :mrapig:

I don't think I've said that word in years.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Drifter posted:

The nuwaves come pretty highly recommended among my circle. I mean, only one person I know owns it, but she loves it. I think hers was a Gold or somesuch. This one here is likely the largest there is. Even so, the heating unit is still only around 9" - and beyond 11" of pan you'll get some moderate to great uneven heating.
https://www.amazon.com/NuWave-Titan...P7XP6SHEESAVJTP

Cast Iron will always heat unevenly on an induction if it's larger than the heating area it's resting on - no matter how slowly or long you heat it (within reason). Allclad tri-ply will heat perfectly, pretty much no matter the size differentials.
I think you probably need to buy a commercial unit, or just use your 15 inch pan as like a weird flat wok, where the hot spot is in the middle and the outer edges are variably heated.

With that big of a pan, your burn units are likely way too small. Try heating it up in the oven before you use it on the stovetop. Otherwise, I'm afraid to say size does definitely matter when it comes to your burners.

I'd actually suggest you buy a cast iron skillet (I don't know what they're called, the long thing that you cook lots of pancakes on) and lay it across two burners to try and even the heat out.

Since you mention it, does stainless steel in general heat more evenly than cast iron? Might just grab a couple cheaper skillets if so. Look into a griddle cover, too, but I get the feeling that will have the same problem of being unevenly heated :v:

I had bought the 15 incher mostly for bacon, being so long but frankly it's easier to just throw bacon in the oven on a cookie sheet anyway. Bake the bacon, if you like.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

Since you mention it, does stainless steel in general heat more evenly than cast iron? Might just grab a couple cheaper skillets if so. Look into a griddle cover, too, but I get the feeling that will have the same problem of being unevenly heated :v:

I had bought the 15 incher mostly for bacon, being so long but frankly it's easier to just throw bacon in the oven on a cookie sheet anyway. Bake the bacon, if you like.

I think SS has pretty poor heat distribution - the heat shoots straight through. The layered pans with an aluminium / copper core are much better at even and retained heating.

Honestly, a 15" pan is too huge, imo. That's HEAVY. I wouldn't go past 12. just cut your bacon in half and lay them out. Or the cookie sheet in the oven, which is probably the best way (but takes longer).

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I started cooking bacon by folding it over 3/4 of the way across, that way only the ends are making contact with the pan, then flip it and do the opposite side. Afterwards, when you lay it out normally, the ends that usually cook slower because they're hanging out or whatever end up finishing at the same time as the middle since you pre started them. It's worked pretty well. Next time I do it I can post a picture, my description was probably not the best.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Drifter posted:

I think SS has pretty poor heat distribution - the heat shoots straight through. The layered pans with an aluminium / copper core are much better at even and retained heating.

Honestly, a 15" pan is too huge, imo. That's HEAVY. I wouldn't go past 12. just cut your bacon in half and lay them out. Or the cookie sheet in the oven, which is probably the best way (but takes longer).

Fair enough! My original plan was an 8" skillet for things that required a smaller space--like eggs--and a 15" so I'd have room for everything else, so that's what I bought a few weeks ago. Neither plan has panned (ha) out, though; no matter what I do my eggs get stuck to the 8 incher, and as you say the 15 incher is too big and causes the heat distribution problems.

Probably donate those to goodwill or similar and pick up a 10-12 incher today. Or put them in a cabinet so I'm ready for the zombie apocalypse, iunno v:shobon:v

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Why use a cookie sheet in the oven? I'd you go the oven route, just use the skillet in the oven.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

QuarkMartial posted:

Why use a cookie sheet in the oven? I'd you go the oven route, just use the skillet in the oven.

with a cookie sheet you can put the bacon on a cooling rack, with thick slices of bread underneath

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Subjunctive posted:

with a cookie sheet you can put the bacon on a cooling rack, with thick slices of bread underneath

:aaaaa:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Subjunctive posted:

I....

.... I like the way you think.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I was doing the cooling rack for cooking but didn't think of catching the grease with bread and now i'm sad :(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You may want to lightly toast the bread first, I put it under the broiler for 15 sec then take it out and put the bacon rack over top.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Drifter posted:

I'd actually suggest you buy a cast iron skillet (I don't know what they're called, the long thing that you cook lots of pancakes on) and lay it across two burners to try and even the heat out.
I have one of those and you get two visible hot spots on it, one for each butter.

I just put my cast iron pan of bacon in the oven

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ColdPie posted:

Ask in general questions or just start a new thread. IMO we have too many megathreads and chat threads and not enough little "here's what I'm doing, what do you think" threads.

Took your advice: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806056

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
One of my hausmates washed and scrubbed my skillet last night. :smith:

This is the second time this has happened within 6 months. I had cooked myself a few grilled cheese sandwiches last night, and reoiled my pan. I was even admiring the seasoning I was building back up. I left it out to cool and fell asleep early. Woke up this morning to find it on the stove, with about a 1/16" of oil sitting in it and freshly scrubbed steel visible.

I'm running it through the oven a second time right now to try and rebuild the seasoning. Getting really tired of this though. I'll never be able to cook eggs in it at this rate. My last roommate did the same thing, except she had let it soak for a few days. The common factor here is that they all seem to just crank the gas up to high and cook with wreckless abandon. Should I just declare that my skillet is off limits? Again. Or should I try showing them how to properly cook and care for cast iron? Also again.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Just say "hey, please don't scrub the poo poo out of my pan. You can use it if you do not scrub the poo poo out of it. Wash it like a normal person. Don't scrub the poo poo out of it."

Or buy them their own non stick pan and go about your life :shobon:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wash and scrub my cast iron all the time. What did they scrub it with? Properly seasoned cast iron takes a lot of work to scrub off the seasoning.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
A metal scrubber it looks like. I shared the video on the last page with them on Facebook, so hopefully they'll get it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo that reminds me I got a chainmail cast iron scrubber for Christmas and haven't used it yet.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My housekeepers dropped my chainmail scrubber in the kitchen sink disposal and I didn't notice until I turned it on and oh my god that noise was horrific. Spent half an hour digging out the destroyed rings, and now I'm -1 scrubber. :(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sounds like something they should replace.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I have never seen the reason for a chainmail scrubber. Hot water and a normal sponge cleans everything off it.

If you've got a stuck on thing, just boil some water in the pan.

Sorry they gently caress up your property, though.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Drifter posted:

I have never seen the reason for a chainmail scrubber. Hot water and a normal sponge cleans everything off it.

If you've got a stuck on thing, just boil some water in the pan.

Sorry they gently caress up your property, though.

Sponge gets black. I like to use the chain mail scrubber and THEN the sponge.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have a chainmail scrubber, but a soaped steel wool to get the minor crud that a fair boil wont get off works fine for me.

All my pans have a minor crud patch. Which is honestly better then I found them, which was 100% crud coverage. I didn't even know mine were Griswold's until after a bit of grinding.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Once I switched to using kosher salt and a bamboo utensil to scrape out my pan, I've not needed anything stronger. I used to use table salt and a paper towel, which was a mess.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
I primarily use my chain mail scrubber on my Pyrex casserole pans and it has been great. Especially since there are always the tough bits of sauce and cheese that end up burning onto the sides of the pan.

Rarely do I need to use it on my cast iron, but it is nice to knock off the tough bits.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'm still pretty new to cast iron. This evening I sautéed onion in a bunch of spices including turmeric, which I used to do in stainless pans without issue. After I washed the pan with a scrub sponge and dish detergent, enough to get the food bits out but I didn't go crazy with it. I dried it with a white towel after and it didn't show any staining.

However, as I was oiling the pan after my paper towels turned very neon-yellow turmeric colored. I thought that maybe I didn't get all the spice out, so I washed and oiled it again, and it did the same thing.

Is there anything I can/should do about this, or is it fine? I just want to avoid making neon-yellow fried eggs the next time I cook with it.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
If I were you I'd cook up a few eggs in bacon grease before you go to bed tonight.

Unless you're afraid of neons eggs.

Eat the eggs.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It will go away once you cook enough stuff. Potatoes are a great thing to cook if you want to soak up the remaining turmeric.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I made some eggs in neon butter, but it didn't affect the eggs and went away after that. Not sure if it was the heat, or just a matter of having enough fat to really dilute it, but it ended up not being a problem. Potatoes is a good idea though.

Neon butter was interesting though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Neon Butter was interesting though.

That was the name of my high school prog-rock jazz fusion band.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I got my first cast iron pan, from Artisanal Kitchen Supply. It's pre-seasoned, so I started cooking with it right away. I've used it a few times so far, and it worked like a dream. Tonight I cooked sausage in it and burnt lots of crud onto the bottom. My usual cleaning regimen of rubbing the warm pan down with kosher salt and oil did nothing. I tried boiling a little water for a couple minutes to deglaze the pan, which got a lot of fat out, but it also left behind a surface that is very rough/uneven and flakey in parts that I suspect means the seasoning is coming apart.

Is my best course of action to just run it through self cleaning and start from scratch?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You've ruined it. Most compassionate thing to do now is put a single bullet where the handle meets the body, out behind the garden shed. Quickly now, the poor pan is suffering.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Safety Dance posted:

You've ruined it. Most compassionate thing to do now is put a single bullet where the handle meets the body, out behind the garden shed. Quickly now, the poor pan is suffering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0MKQg3CkkE&t=161s

Being in the suburbs, my neighbors and also the police would not be happy.

Surely there's a better way?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Enigma posted:

Surely there's a better way?
Rubbing a pan down with salt and oil to clean it is so freaking wasteful. Just use a plastic scrubby sponge - soft on one side and scrubby on the other. Why waste all that salt? Boiling water in the pan is a fantastic way to lift up a lot of poo poo that's been burnt on, though. Good on you for that.

A lot of the pre-seasonings aren't all that great compared to what you can eventually build up to, but even if they are decent, you still need to maintain the pan. Add Oil before you cook anything for a few days, clean it and wipe down with oil afterwards.

Seasoning will start to flake away until it's firmly established on there. Mind you, the flaky bits could very well be just burnt remnants of sausage. Fine to consume.As you see flakes just take a metal spatula and scrape away at it until it's smooth and then reseason.

EIther way, season is an ongoing process of getting it great and then loving up and then getting it even better and then loving up...It's such an easy maintenance, though. Every time you cook you help make the seasoning stronger. Don't worry about it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Drifter posted:

Rubbing a pan down with salt and oil to clean it is so freaking wasteful. [...] Why waste all that salt?

What

:psyduck:

salt is literally the cheapest thing in your kitchen. It's cheaper to use salt and a chainmail square than it is to replace plastic scrubbies.

e: also far less wasteful because the ocean is full of salt

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Salt is for seasoning. :colbert:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Drifter posted:

Salt is for seasoning. :colbert:

Which is what cast iron needs.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Honestly the trick seems to be "heat it up enough and it'll fix itself" most neon powders and onion smells and burnt on bits will come off or out the next time you really properly heat it up and rub oil over it. Just keep using it and don't worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Which is what cast iron needs.
If this is you, then absolutely you are right.

Otherwise just use a brush or a sponge. :colbert: