Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Mega64 posted:

Somehow I'm not surprised Jed York hired a dog as a coach.

There's no rule that says dogs can't coach football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Coldforge posted:

There's no rule that says dogs can't coach football.

Jim Tomshiba

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

a neat cape posted:

Gus Bradley has announced that the Chargers will be switching to a 4-3

Smart move for once. They haven't had the personnel for a 3-4 for a long time and it's time to stop trying to shoehorn those players into roles they aren't suited for. I don't think the Chargers will have an elite D, but they could be pretty decent next season if they get another DE opposite Bosa and address safety at some point in the middle rounds.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Oh, thats good to know. I didnt follow football as closely this year as usual so I had no idea. Also doesnt Allen keep having freak injuries?

Allen's broken a collarbone, lacerated a kidney, and then torn his ACL last year torching Marcus Peters.

He's just really brittle, unfortunately. I don't like saying that, because he's a great WR when he's healthy and I really love the attitude & enthusiasm he brings to the team, but he gets hurt tons.

Durandal1707 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 9, 2017

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I'm still not convinced Jed York isn't just a basset hound in a human suit, Meet Dave style

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
It would be the most Chargers thing to happen, though, if they finally got a defense and o-line worth a poo poo right about when Rivers becomes washed up.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Colonel Whitey posted:

I'm still not convinced Jed York isn't just a basset hound in a human suit, Meet Dave style

Not a Yorkie?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Darth Brooks posted:

Not a Yorkie?

He's too dumb to even be the right dog

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

I would love for the Packers to kick out Capers and hire Richard Smith.
Can't get worse anyhow.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Dan Quinn has been running that defense since the bye week. Richard Smith is still probably better than Capers.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the falcons defense didn't really play better after the bye, they just played poo poo offenses.

they still managed to give up 400 yards to alex smith.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

the falcons defense didn't really play better after the bye, they just played poo poo offenses.

As someone who watched every Falcons game: they played better down the stretch.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

:raise:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

As someone who watched every Falcons game: they played better down the stretch.

Yeah. I wasn't buying it giving that a lot of their success was against the worst oline in football and a crippled Packers offense, but no, they clearly were playing better in hindsight considering the first 75% of the Superbowl.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

a neat cape posted:

More like a 1-15

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Bacon Taco posted:

More like a 1-15
This joke would work if 16 men played on defense ;)

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The 49ers have hired Martin Mayhew, known for being Matt Millen's assistant GM, to be an assistant for their own broadcaster-turned-GM. Good luck.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/829805357862105090

Mayhew at least deserves to be employed in the NFL. Just have him scout free agents and don't let him touch the draft.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm still salty the Niners let Anquan Boldin sit in free agency for like two months while they hosed around with their garbage receiver corps and then the Lions finally picked him up and he had a pretty good season. It's not like he was expensive and he would have been the best receiver on the team.

Boldin: (16 games) 67/584/8 as like WR4?

Torrey smith: (only 12 games) 20/267/3 as WR1

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 9, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

I'm still salty the Niners let Anquan Boldin sit in free agency for like two months while they hosed around with their garbage receiver corps and then the Lions finally picked him up and he had a pretty good season. It's not like he was expensive and he would have been the best receiver on the team.

Boldin: (16 games) 67/584/8 as like WR4?

Torrey smith: (only 12 games) 20/267/3 as WR1

matthew stafford. blaine gabbert.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Boldin's a year removed from catching passes from blaine gabbert and he was way better at it. Torrey Smith was like three times the cap hit this year and finished with four more receiving yards than Shaun Draughn.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah it's really just highlighting how incredibly terrible SF's receiver corps is and was this year. You can bag on Gabbert and Kaep all you want, neither seems like a winning option, but neither of them had a single WR worth half a drat to throw to. The best passing options on most plays were the RB or the TE.

SF had massive amounts of cap space and did jack poo poo about the WR situation throughout free agency. It doesn't have to be Boldin, but Boldin was sitting right there, he knew the team, he had shown good numbers with these QBs the previous year, and he was cheap. It would have been really good for the rest of the WRs to have a solid professional veteran there to teach them things, too, and by all accounts Boldin is an unselfish team player.

It's just one more baffling GM decision on the pile I guess.

e. Jeremy Kerley was there and I guess he was kinda that guy this year, with 64/667/3 and was a veteran presence. So I should acknowledge that.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 10, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Saw this tidbit:

of the last 25 superbowls, 10 were won by former offensive coordinators, 10 by defensive and 5 by coaches who were neither.

Defensive: Belichick (5), Pete Carroll, Mike Tomlin, Tony Dungy, Bill Cowher

Offensive: Mike Shanahan (2), Tom Coughlin (2), Mike Holmgren, Brian Billick, Jon Gruden, Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy, Gary Kubiak

Neither: Jimmy Johnson (2), Dick Vermeil, Barry Switzer, John Harbaugh

So I guess offensive coordinators are your best bet?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Neither: Jimmy Johnson (2), Dick Vermeil, Barry Switzer, John Harbaugh

If we include college experience Jimmy Johnson was a defensive coach, Switzer was an offensive coach (Switzer in particular was considered an innovator, like back in the 60s/70s), and Harbaugh worked on both sides of the ball before being a ST guy + some DB work in the NFL.

What Switzer innovated was the wishbone of course, but still he was considered an offensive mind. Harbaugh and Vermeil are closest to nothing, Vermeil was an OC for one year but mainly just an assistant or special teams coach.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Shangri-Law School posted:

Mayhew at least deserves to be employed in the NFL. Just have him scout free agents and don't let him touch the draft.

Pretty sure that's the plan, as college scouting is Adam Peters thing. It's also further evidence that Lynch's role is basically only "leadership" and PR, which is actually a good idea as the owner lacks the capacity for either.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

If the 9ers end up even 6-10 we shall no longer speak against York.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

John Brown posted:

If the 9ers end up even 6-10 we shall no longer speak against York.

<-----------

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah it's really just highlighting how incredibly terrible SF's receiver corps is and was this year. You can bag on Gabbert and Kaep all you want, neither seems like a winning option, but neither of them had a single WR worth half a drat to throw to. The best passing options on most plays were the RB or the TE.

SF had massive amounts of cap space and did jack poo poo about the WR situation throughout free agency. It doesn't have to be Boldin, but Boldin was sitting right there, he knew the team, he had shown good numbers with these QBs the previous year, and he was cheap. It would have been really good for the rest of the WRs to have a solid professional veteran there to teach them things, too, and by all accounts Boldin is an unselfish team player.

It's just one more baffling GM decision on the pile I guess.

e. Jeremy Kerley was there and I guess he was kinda that guy this year, with 64/667/3 and was a veteran presence. So I should acknowledge that.

I'm not really disagreeing, just saying that yards is not the metric I would use to judge that. Though to play devil's advocate, the 49ers were going nowhere this season, so it's often better in that situation to cut the vets loose and get the young kids some experience.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Falcons to name Marquand Manuel defensive coordinator

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18657790/atlanta-falcons-promote-marquand-manuel-defensive-coordinator

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

a neat cape posted:

It's not really going to be a huge change- that 4-3 Under front that Bradley runs is a lot like a 3-4 defense. If anything you're adding more specialized 3-4 elements, there's more 2-gap elements in that Bradley defensive scheme than there are in John Pagano's front.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

quote:

"I think the toughest one -- I haven't told this yet to the media -- all my kids took it really well," Lynch said. "They were shocked but they took it really well. My 9-year-old started bawling, and she's not that girl. She's the one that was always happy. And she was crying, and I said, 'What's wrong Leah? Are you afraid? Is there some nervous anxiety about moving?' And she said, 'No daddy,' and she was sobbing. And I said, 'What's wrong?' And she said, 'The 49ers are horrible.' So, I said, 'Well, I think that's why they hired your daddy."

Put the nine year old in charge.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYWyI7zWdt4

I have no idea why this video exists but I'm glad that I live in a world where I can google any Aliens quote and find a youtube for it.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Catfish Noodlin posted:

It's not really going to be a huge change- that 4-3 Under front that Bradley runs is a lot like a 3-4 defense. If anything you're adding more specialized 3-4 elements, there's more 2-gap elements in that Bradley defensive scheme than there are in John Pagano's front.

I admittedly don't know a lot about defensive schemes. I just hope he allows Bosa to own

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYWyI7zWdt4

I have no idea why this video exists but I'm glad that I live in a world where I can google any Aliens quote and find a youtube for it.

To be fair, Hudson defined grunts for an entire generation. I bet everything he said is youtubed, gifed, and likely carved into stone somewhere.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

If anything good can be taken from the interviews and press conferences with Lynch and Shanahan, it's that they understand just how monumentally difficult their job is going to be.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Coldforge posted:

If anything good can be taken from the interviews and press conferences with Lynch and Shanahan, it's that they understand just how monumentally difficult their job is going to be.

To be fair to the 49ers, it seems like they put together a respectable front office for Shanahan to utilize, so he can be the defacto GM, while not having to worry about the day to day aspects.

We know Kyle will end up with final say over roster decisions, but it looks like they structured it in a manner that'll allow for efficiency.

It'll probably still blow up, but at least it'll blow up in a new and original manner.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
Jack del Rio extended for four years.

also, I love reading back through threads just for fragments like this:

FizFashizzle posted:

Dan Quinn is trash and the Falcons are staring down a rebuild. If Ryan continues to fall apart this year, they should think hard about pulling the plug.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Yeah but Fiz has a special relationship with the Falcons that prevents him from ever saying anything positive about the team.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
In Fiz's defense. The Falcons just rebuilt both their offensive and defensive coaching staffs soooooooooooooooooooo

(they gonna blow next year)

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

In Fiz's defense. The Falcons just rebuilt both their offensive and defensive coaching staffs soooooooooooooooooooo

Your 2018 NFC South Champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Relentlessboredomm posted:

The last time the Falcons rebuild their offensive and defensive coaching staffs, the went to the NFCCG. (2012)

I don't necessarily expect that to happen, but I mean... replacing coordinators isn't exactly a death sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Raheem Morris is their assistant head coach lol Jesus christ

• Locked thread