Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
so loving mad about computers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Counterpoint: makes even the dumbest poo poo look like a math textbook

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
same.

yesterday I decided I wanted to host my own gitlab server. Right when I was about to clone the repo an admin accidentally deleted the entire gitlab production database and their backups failed. When it finally came back up what I thought would be a simple configuration turned out to be hell. Database permission problems, ruby precompiler issuses. But I finally got the thing up and running. But still issues with the unicorn web manager crashing from memory errors, spotty page timeouts, and straight up not being able to clone repos which was the entire point of the project.

So I tossed the whole thing, installed gogs and it worked in less than 5 minutes.

pro tip: gogs good

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

It was a misplaced pair of curly braces. :suicide:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Naked Bear posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKK LATEX AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

sorry guys, just had to get that out

for real, tho, gently caress LaTeX

I bet you spend/spent a boatload on condoms.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Used to, yeah. Not so much these days. :(

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Naked Bear posted:

:glomp:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Thanks, bruh. Wuv u <3

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Naked Bear posted:

So you went from top to bottom?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Naked Bear posted:

Pull and pray is better anyway

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So there's this book on linear algebra that has really good ratings. But I would probably judge someone harshly for owning it.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Can we just re-nuke Japan ?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TBeats posted:

Pull and pray is better anyway

Or you could just get snipped.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Casimir Radon posted:

So there's this book on linear algebra that has really good ratings. But I would probably judge someone harshly for owning it.

Linear Algebra is pretty easy compared to its typical prereqs, so that if you're at the level where you're taking it you probably don't need a coloring book to explain it to you.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've got an interview on Wednesday and I think a big part of that is I told them I was good at Excel, and I am. Any ideas on stuff I should learn or brush up on before then, past pivot tables or array formulas?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Casimir Radon posted:

I've got an interview on Wednesday and I think a big part of that is I told them I was good at Excel, and I am. Any ideas on stuff I should learn or brush up on before then, past pivot tables or array formulas?

Depends on the job and knowledge focus. Engineering, finance, general statistics?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Depends on the job and knowledge focus. Engineering, finance, general statistics?
I'd be supporting a large marketing department. They wanted someone who had a good handle on ArcGIS, stats, and Excel.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Stats probably covers better the data analysis stuff that came to mind. Maybe play with chart functions if for some reason you're rusty on actually formatting and explaining the crunchy stuff.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
28 days til spring break woohoo!!

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

TBeats posted:

28 days til spring break woohoo!!

woo!

Who else is rushing?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd be supporting a large marketing department. They wanted someone who had a good handle on ArcGIS, stats, and Excel.

Basic formulas are probably fine then. If they wanted someone fluent in VBA they probably would have said so.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
With most people that don't just assume excel experience in the first place you can usually blow their minds using tables and formulas to output stuff more complicated than a list of numbers. Start automating the output of those numbers ans you seem like a wizard.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

bird food bathtub posted:

With most people that don't just assume excel experience in the first place you can usually blow their minds using tables and formulas to output stuff more complicated than a list of numbers. Start automating the output of those numbers ans you seem like a wizard.

excel is a HUGE part of the accounting program at my school (and probably at most schools).

it makes just about everything you do in accounting mindless if you just take the time to learn it.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I just flat-out bombed a thermo exam that was worth 30% of my grade. Like I'm pretty sure I scored around a 10%. At the very least it's a free elective and not a requirement, but bloody hell

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Going to a small school owns. Like 14 people in my accounting cohort. We all watch out for each other to make sure we succeed.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TBeats posted:

Going to a small school owns. Like 14 people in my accounting cohort. We all watch out for each other to make sure we succeed.

A small cohort just means fewer people to sabotage on your way to the top.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007

shyduck posted:

I just flat-out bombed a thermo exam that was worth 30% of my grade. Like I'm pretty sure I scored around a 10%. At the very least it's a free elective and not a requirement, but bloody hell

What went wrong? Test unreasonably hard, or not enough study?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
lol the at the date isn't my friend or anything but that probation was kind of silly imo, it just looked like a joke to me

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

hashtag rise up.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I had my job interview on Wednesday which I felt went well but I was worried that somebody with a marketing degree and GIS cert might take me out of the running. So I was preparing myself for the eventual rejection letter.

Then they called me today and offered me the job. They offered me a Thursday slot too so I'm thinking whoever went for that one didn't do as well. So that's a major weight off my shoulders.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

at the date posted:

A small cohort just means fewer people to sabotage on your way to the top.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

I had my job interview on Wednesday which I felt went well but I was worried that somebody with a marketing degree and GIS cert might take me out of the running. So I was preparing myself for the eventual rejection letter.

Then they called me today and offered me the job. They offered me a Thursday slot too so I'm thinking whoever went for that one didn't do as well. So that's a major weight off my shoulders.

Congrats man. I hope I get the same call on Monday. I'm pretty sure I got the job because the first few minutes were the usual interview faire "tell us about yourself" and all that junk and then it just devolved into jokes and "ok here's what the job entails, we're pretty chill here we just want people to do their job correctly, anything we can do to help you out, any questions?".

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Mike-o posted:

I don't go blowing up on people but it's right underneath the surface and it's killing me. My fault for joining the infantry and being a young dumb idiot who wanted to "defend his country" like right after I got out of highschool and Iraq had just kicked off.

it helps any, that feeling goes away. I didn't think it would but it did.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Is this the place to talk about students being too dumb to take free condoms and lube when offered?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kuroyama posted:

Is this the place to talk about students being too dumb to take free condoms and lube when offered?

When going out on liberty, a friend of mine refused the condoms that HM1 was handing out in front of medical on our way past. He just yelled "gently caress you doc get the shot ready" and we went out into town.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Mr. Nice! posted:

When going out on liberty, a friend of mine refused the condoms that HM1 was handing out in front of medical on our way past. He just yelled "gently caress you doc get the shot ready" and we went out into town.

But that's funny, and he said it with confidence. These students got flustered. I don't know if they're dumb, just didn't want condoms from our school's LGBT group, or if one of the girls at the booth was right, and millennials just aren't having as much sex anymore.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Kuroyama posted:

But that's funny, and he said it with confidence. These students got flustered. I don't know if they're dumb, just didn't want condoms from our school's LGBT group, or if one of the girls at the booth was right, and millennials just aren't having as much sex anymore.

Or just the usual being embarrassed about poo poo like that especially if they're freshies or sophomores and haven't had the shame ironed out of them by one too many ragers followed by the classic shamble home next morning, reeking of cigarettes and dried-on awkward shitfaced-drunk hump sweat.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Shame showers

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
My school brought in therapy dogs for us, basically the best day of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I found out there was another vet in my class. Dude is super low key.