Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
New Sanderson AMA at https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/5t9nyy/iamonce_againa_novelist_named_brandon_sanderson/ . Nothing really noteworthy if you're already a reader, mostly just reinforces that he is Nice as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
He had some interesting answers such as not wanting any of his books to be turned into an anime (thank god) and regrets about Fain and Mat in the wheel of time.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

The Gardenator posted:

He had some interesting answers such as not wanting any of his books to be turned into an anime (thank god) and regrets about Fain and Mat in the wheel of time.

I can totally picture Stormlight as an anime. The fight at the end of WoR was basically straight out of Dragonball Z. Just need to have characters powering up for 50 pages.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I think he meant Anime, and not just simply animated? I could see him not wanting it done in that style while still being fine with a more western animation style.

Now I'm picturing mistborn done with the tech that made Archer, just with a borderlands style cell shaded filter.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

I can totally picture Stormlight as an anime. The fight at the end of WoR was basically straight out of Dragonball Z. Just need to have characters powering up for 50 pages.
Stormlight Archives as a cartoon series by the team that did The Last Airbender/Korra.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cicero posted:

Stormlight Archives as a cartoon series by the team that did The Last Airbender/Korra.

With the art style of Samurai Jack.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

And the voice acting from the Phillips CDI Zelda games!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Cicero posted:

No. Just no. High budget HBO series or bust.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

gohmak posted:

No. Just no. High budget HBO series or bust.

Honestly, that one end bit of Rogue One really seemed like it could have been subbed out with Szeth shanking guards with a shardblade without any real trouble. Throw that as the first bit of the first episode of an HBO series, then go straight to Kaladin in the slave cages.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

seaborgium posted:

Honestly, that one end bit of Rogue One really seemed like it could have been subbed out with Szeth shanking guards with a shardblade without any real trouble. Throw that as the first bit of the first episode of an HBO series, then go straight to Kaladin in the slave cages.

https://youtu.be/CvVvwh3BRq8

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The Mistborn novels would be really cool as an HBO show I think, the dystopian ash covered world would be pretty cool on screen, and inquisitors.

But so would the stormlight novels. Really either of them would be fine but the important thing is they'd have to be game of thrones style one season worth of episodes per book.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The epic tv series like GoT have really become the gold standard for fantasy novel adaptations

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
The Final Empire would work better as a movie than a dragged out season. Stormlightt Archives is written that you could take any two chapters as an hour episode ending with a death rattle.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Legion is still my favorite Sanderson work that should be on film. Too bad the new Xmen Legion show just came out.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Legion is still my favorite Sanderson work that should be on film. Too bad the new Xmen Legion show just came out.

That super confused me, because the main character in both is a schizophrenic. I started watching it thinking it was based on the Sanderson novel, and couldn't understand what the mutant angle was all about until I read the blurb properly.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, I'm super disappointed about that as well. I think Sanderson's even came out and said that FOX doing Marvel's Legion killed any chance of getting those books adapted to TV or film.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

flosofl posted:

Yeah, I'm super disappointed about that as well. I think Sanderson's even came out and said that FOX doing Marvel's Legion killed any chance of getting those books adapted to TV or film.

He mentioned that they are looking into using an alternative name, but ya that's what he basically said somewhere.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I hope the Reckoners project gets going though, it'll be pretty fun.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
Snapshot is OUT TODAY at your favorite e-book retailer. Will report back later with thoughts.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Jorenko posted:

Snapshot is OUT TODAY at your favorite e-book retailer. Will report back later with thoughts.

Sanderson continues to make drat fine short stories. This definitely had a Phillip K Dick vibe to it, which he himself acknowledges in the postscript.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Sanderson continues to make drat fine short stories. This definitely had a Phillip K Dick vibe to it, which he himself acknowledges in the postscript.

This one took me a couple chapters to get into, but I think it got pretty dang good. I predicted the last twist (as he mentioned in the postscript, it's an easy one), but the other one threw me. Overall a pretty good story, I think.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I really enjoyed Legion and Skin Deep. Has he written other sci-fi ?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

gohmak posted:

I really enjoyed Legion and Skin Deep. Has he written other sci-fi ?

Less the sci, more the fi, but Firstborn and now Snapshot, too. And if you count Legion series, then the Reckoners are also definitely kind of sci fi.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I was at a robotics competition this entire weekend, which meant a lot of time to kill on the bus, between matches, and so on. I had never read any Sanderson before, I took my kindle and dug into the Mistborn Trilogy. I started and finished The Final Empire, and got somewhere around halfway through The Well of Ascension. Overall, I've been enjoying a lot, and definitely plan to finish.

I think what I enjoy the most is the worldbuilding. The magic system is great, and extremely unique. Definitely a welcome departure from gray-haired wizards with staffs (staves?). It was really learning more about the metals and more about the world's secrets that kept me interested. The characters seem solid, though some of the crew members feel a little one dimensional and narrowly defined by their particular quirks. The philosophical brute, the smooth soother, the grouchy pessimistic smoker, and so on.

I did see the the fact that the lord ruler was a feruchemist coming as soon as they started talking about his rings and other jewelry. I didn't see the the fact that he was actually Rashek coming though. I was theorizing that Kelsier was wrong about feruchemists not being able to steal powers saved up from others, at least in the lord ruler's case. I was figuring the secret room that the ruler retreated to would be some sort of ritual place, where he stole youth and power from other feruchemists, or maybe from skaa. I got that one wrong.

I am curious to see where things go. My guess is that the atium reserves probably don't exist. The lord ruler was using it all to make whatever the atium alloy is, and somehow using that to keep bad things out of the world. With that done, bad things are coming back.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 6, 2017

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Filthy Monkey posted:

I was at a robotics competition this entire weekend, which meant a lot of time to kill on the bus, between matches, and so on. I had never read any Sanderson before, I took my kindle and dug into the Mistborn Trilogy. I started and finished The Final Empire, and got somewhere around halfway through The Well of Ascension. Overall, I've been enjoying a lot, and definitely plan to finish.

I think what I enjoy the most is the worldbuilding. The magic system is great, and extremely unique. Definitely a welcome departure from gray-haired wizards with staffs (staves?). It was really learning more about the metals and more about the world's secrets that kept me interested. The characters seem solid, though some of the crew members feel a little one dimensional and narrowly defined by their particular quirks. The philosophical brute, the smooth soother, the grouchy pessimistic smoker, and so on.

I did see the the fact that the lord ruler was a feruchemist coming as soon as they started talking about his rings and other jewelry. I didn't see the the fact that he was actually Rashek coming though. I was theorizing that Kelsier was wrong about feruchemists not being able to steal powers saved up from others, at least in the lord ruler's case. I was figuring the secret room that the ruler retreated to would be some sort of ritual place, where he stole youth and power from other feruchemists, or maybe from skaa. I got that one wrong.

I am curious to see where things go. My guess is that the atium 'reserves' probably don't exist. The lord ruler was using it all to make whatever the atium alloy is, and somehow using that to keep bad things out of the world. Now that he is gone, bad things are coming back.

Interesting speculations. Keep us posted about your progress. Well of Ascension can drag a little bit, but Hero of Ages more than makes up for it. I won't comment on the spoilered parts, except to note that I did not see as much coming as you did when I first read the trilogy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The atium alloy is called malatium.

Not gonna answer anything else.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

A few things won't make sense or get fully explained untill secret history so check that out too once you do the trilogy.

I'm doing a reread too and enjoy seeing all the foreshadowing I missed before. :D

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Avalerion posted:

A few things won't make sense or get fully explained untill secret history so check that out too once you do the trilogy.

I'm doing a reread too and enjoy seeing all the foreshadowing I missed before. :D

Don't read Secret History before finishing the three Wax & Wayne books that are out now!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I don't think it really spoils anything for those, or does it? Secret history ends up long before that era.

They are good though so yea read that too, and then the rest of Sanderson's cosmere stuff too while you are at it, it's all good. :D

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It's more that secret history is in itself a huge spoiler by tying together certain things on the level of shards and cosmere.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013

Avalerion posted:

I don't think it really spoils anything for those, or does it? Secret history ends up long before that era.

They are good though so yea read that too, and then the rest of Sanderson's cosmere stuff too while you are at it, it's all good. :D

Remember that Bands of Mourning starts off acting like Rashek had a way to survive his fight with Vin, then made the Bands and became the Sovereign down in the south, only to have Hoid give Wax a copper medallion with a memory from the Sovereign's pov showing the scars on his arms implying that it was actually Kelsier.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Avalerion posted:

Also spoils who Khriss is when she shows up at the party in New Seran and dances with Wax briefly, as well as Hoid's significance if you haven't read Stormlight.

Knowing that Kelsier is alive in general really takes away from some of the mythology and post-catacendre worldbuilding that Sanderson introduces in the W&W books.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

To me reading the books as events in them happen chronologically makes sense, I can see why others might feel differently though. But I'm generally not bothered by spoiling myself anyway so if someone is, yea probably take those guy's advice over mine then.

Secret history/The Bands of Mourning ending: Like I already figured Kelsier's not really gone from interviews and such so for me the surprise was more about finding out why and how.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 7, 2017

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Also spoils who Khriss is when she shows up at the party in New Seran and dances with Wax briefly, as well as Hoid's significance if you haven't read Stormlight.

[/spoiler]

That's not really a spoiler worth avoiding the book for. Hell, if anything it gives a better appreciation for the scene because you understand what's going on aside from "weird lady"

The other points are valid.

Really, I'd say that Secret History is fair game after the original trilogy. Best read after W&W, but since from their books' perspective things are based on unreliable narrators (they're dealing with centuries-old history; things get fudged) it doesn't kill the experience.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 7, 2017

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It definitely robs the very last scene of Bands of Mourning some of it's wham factor if you read Secret History first.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Yeah, don't get me wrong: I agree that having read Secret History actually adds something to a lot of those scenes - but that's the sense in which it's spoiling them. Those additional bits were designed to be added and appreciated on a re-read. If you read them as published, you are experiencing the material with a set of gaps that is intentionally illuminating on the re-read. If those gaps aren't present, then you are missing experiencing the events sympathetically with the characters. I mean, Sanderson makes a pretty big effort to not be a standard 3rd person omniscient writer so as to preserve some twists - why throw that effort away by reading one of his worst and shortest efforts in the series out of order?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
oh no what if someone doesnt read a book right

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Captain Monkey posted:

oh no what if someone doesnt read a book right

They could die.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

OneTwentySix posted:

They could die.

oh no!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
New Powder Mage book is out now, Sins of Empire.