Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

An episode came on recently and I sat to watch it. It was about somebody prepping Willie for high-society for some reason, and it hit me, "Oh man.... this epsiode is titled "My Fair Laddy". And I looked at the guide, and I was right. I watched the episode because I forgot how much the show bothers me, but realizing that they threw out that title in a brainstorming session, and just decided for force an episode out of it gave me that old, bad taste in my mouth.

I can only vaguely remember, but I remember thinking that guest stars were a bad thing for the first time when Homer hung out with Alec Baldwin and Kim Bassinger for no real reason, and every cameo since has been a huge drag.

Also, that loving Homer Votes sketch is 100% Dan Castellaneta. If they didn't text those lines for him to poo poo out in his basement studio on Saturday afternoon, I'll eat my hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

My favorite episode is Homer Badman, and could you imagine the thinkpieces that would create in YOOL 2017
i watched that episode recently and something struck me: not only has society not changed when it comes to someone trying to redeem themselves for saying or doing a bad thing, it's become more widespread in the age of social media

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Only registered members can see post attachments!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Also, the show seems to have nothing positive to say about religion anymore and it's kind of ugly the way that anytime Christianity is brought up in the show, it's to tap the well of "haha, look at this superstitious, pious boob."
now i wanna fire up "Homer the Heretic" again, that episode was good and also had the exact opposite message

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

happyhippy posted:

If that scene was made today, he would hit the tree, and out would pop Kanye from the tree complaining that you disturbed his recording session.

That would be an interesting (and painful) thread. Rewrite classic funny scenes from the Simpsons for the lovely new seasons.

Marge immediately drives to North Haverbrook, which Lanley mentioned was a previous purchaser of one of his monorails. She discovers that the town is in ruins. While exploring, Marge meets Richard Branson, who funded Lanley's North Haverbrook monorail to go to his space station.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI2oOgSXKYk

Back when they were able to take Homer in the cartoonish direction without everything falling apart.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Cobweb Heart posted:

Danny Devito/Homer's brother apparently hated his time on the Simpsons for some reason

I can't find anything about this, do you have a link or know why he didn't enjoy it?

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

PallasAthene posted:

Back when they were able to take Homer in the cartoonish direction without everything falling apart.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhsmtWrjEI

Series 9. This scene always felt so out of place for the Simpsons, like too gruesome for a non-thoh episode.

I also feel that the newer episodes have some issues with how black people are portrayed, like there's an episode where the family are watching WNBA and Bart shouts out "you go girl" to Lisa Leslie. She then responds by correcting his grammar.Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it seemed like they thought the idea of a black person correcting a white persons grammar was funny in itself.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
Every so often at inappropriate times I remember this and I start laughing out loud and can't make myself stop

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the most hosed up thing about the movie is they have al brooks as the villain but he's not hank scorpio

(also why the gently caress is the president arnold and not rainer woftcastle).

one of the very first things i ever tracked down when i got the internet was this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwUQWamRNiY

it's in a ton of old episodes (to the point i consider it the secondary theme song) and i was so pumped when i finally found out what it was.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Are there any episodes from the past ~10 years worth watching? Even the worst Futurama or South Park seasons have a couple

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Benny Harvey posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhsmtWrjEI

Series 9. This scene always felt so out of place for the Simpsons, like too gruesome for a non-thoh episode.

i remember hearing about this and not remembering seeing it, turns out it was one of the little throwaway gags they cut out for syndication sometimes

as for non thoh violence that seemed really put of place, see also homer's stomach getting torn open by a badger and that football episode where the guy gets his leg run over and then kicks it over the goalposts

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Maya Fey posted:

Are there any episodes from the past ~10 years worth watching? Even the worst Futurama or South Park seasons have a couple

There are, people have given some answers on the last few pages. There's usually a small number of decent episodes per season. Usually they're just very bland and forgettable rather than offensively bad.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Randarkman posted:

Just watch it.

Also, anybody else think top secret is funnier than airplane? Just watched the two back to back (watched them many times before) and I have to say that's where i land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOrxqdHmSLA

I know this is from several pages back, but I agree. I don't think the comedy in Airplane! (It was called Flying High here in Australia) has aged very well either.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

the most hosed up thing about the movie is they have al brooks as the villain but he's not hank scorpio

(also why the gently caress is the president arnold and not rainer woftcastle).

one of the very first things i ever tracked down when i got the internet was this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwUQWamRNiY

it's in a ton of old episodes (to the point i consider it the secondary theme song) and i was so pumped when i finally found out what it was.

Supposedly in an earlier draft of the script it was Hank Scorpio as the head of the EPA and President Wolfcastle but they got an insane mandate to not have any references to jokes from the show's past.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

muscles like this! posted:

Supposedly in an earlier draft of the script it was Hank Scorpio as the head of the EPA and President Wolfcastle but they got an insane mandate to not have any references to jokes from the show's past.

:psyduck:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah wouldn't wanna make a call back to one of the most popular episodes of all time.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

muscles like this! posted:

How dumb do they think the general audience is? Like, they couldn't figure out on their own that Wolfcastle is an Arnie analog and Scorpio is just some bad dude? They wouldn't have even had to change a line except Scorpio's name.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i mean if he was head of the epa that's dumb it shoulda just been a crazy hank scorpio plot since it makes more sense.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
Holy poo poo that first clip is atrocious. I'm a season 1- 7 purist and I've gone out of my way to avoid the new stuff. The new stuff looks so lovely and the jokes are hamfisted and awful.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i mean if he was head of the epa that's dumb it shoulda just been a crazy hank scorpio plot since it makes more sense.

A corporate supervillain appointed by a clueless president to head an agency he doesn't have any background with? Maybe that wouldn't have resonated in 2007, but...

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

drowningidiot posted:

Holy poo poo that first clip is atrocious. I'm a season 1- 7 purist and I've gone out of my way to avoid the new stuff. The new stuff looks so lovely and the jokes are hamfisted and awful.

It really is.

The audience needs to be told that Homer is stupid by him telling himself he is stupid/explaining the joke so we get it.

The new Homer is not the fool, the viewer is.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Maya Fey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb7peg0gq-o

That's a clip from S18. It's nothing earth shattering, but the idea and UPS being A.S.S are pretty solid. The rest of the episode is homer making a rec room in a basement and kicking the kids out which is how they get into that situation. If all the later season episodes were like that one I'd call anyone complaining cranky old nerds. Like the people who hate on south park. A show can't be hitting it out of the park for decades. It will have to slide into some mediocrity groove at some point. Unfortunately, that's probably one of the best later episodes I've seen. Most new simpsons is not mediocrity just really, really bland. :(

Khorne fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 11, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Maya Fey posted:

The Lego one, "Barthood," "Halloween of Horror," "Holidays of Future Passed," "The Great Phatsby," and "There Will Be Buds" (somebody else recommended this one. I don't remember it at all. Apparently it's about lacrosse.)

Doctor Discomfort
Jan 4, 2015

People always list Marge getting breast implants for some reason and I actually thought that one was pretty funny. She doesn't get them on purpose it's a chart mix-up with the Mayor's secretary or something. Episode is called Large Marge.

Maybe I just think big boobs are funny?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Discomfort posted:

People always list Marge getting breast implants for some reason and I actually thought that one was pretty funny. She doesn't get them on purpose it's a chart mix-up with the Mayor's secretary or something. Episode is called Large Marge.

Haha ah... umm.. user name

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOzTqkLdGvw

Doctor Discomfort
Jan 4, 2015

It's weird that I don't remember that part but I do remember the part in the same episode where they had a baby-oriented parody called Who Left the Milk Out (yuck yuck yuck)

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

:chloe:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

It's weird that I don't remember that part but I do remember the part in the same episode where they had a baby-oriented parody called Who Left the Milk Out (yuck yuck yuck)

Please tell me this is actually a joke

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's legit

Doctor Discomfort
Jan 4, 2015

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's not a joke but in the context of the episode it's treated as being a dumb and horrible parody of an already annoying song.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
"Who Let The Dogs Out?" is one of mankind's greatest accomlishments

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
And the best thing is it's not even an original song, it's a cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O27fagObxaM

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

And the best thing is it's not even an original song, it's a cover

Okay there's been a lot of crazy poo poo revealed in this thread but this right here is beyond reason.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

PallasAthene posted:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
When I saw the movie in theaters there were a bunch of obviously middle school/freshman year kids sitting in front of us and this one kid was like "they show barts weiner. Here comes barts weiner! They actually show barts weiner!!" And they showed it and he was laughing like crazy and I remember being like drat that kid is really into barts weiner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

When I saw the movie in theaters there were a bunch of obviously middle school/freshman year kids sitting in front of us and this one kid was like "they show barts weiner. Here comes barts weiner! They actually show barts weiner!!" And they showed it and he was laughing like crazy and I remember being like drat that kid is really into barts weiner

That guy was me.