Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Drifter posted:

If this is you, then absolutely you are right.

Otherwise just use a brush or a sponge. :colbert:

Ah, the famous stoney propelledillo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'll be frying up some homemade fish sticks tonight (Alton Brown's new book is really good) and will just ignore the pan's current sad state.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
If anyone is into the vintage cast iron, with its awesome non-pitted smooth surfaces, check this article out. It's a fantastic read about what it takes to make this stuff:

https://food52.com/blog/18897-an-all-american-cast-iron-skillet-made-the-vintage-way

There's a new company called Smithey that's making vintage style cast iron, but it's all brand new. It features a glass-like smooth surface, not the rough kind like a Lodge. The Food52 article does a great job explaining what's going on. There's also a fantastic link to Staub, and their fabrication process, if you're into the Staub French style cast iron enamel cookware.

Smithey
http://smitheyironware.com/

Lodge pans have been my go to for over a decade. Staub is also my favorite - they make sure awesome stuff. But I'm totally getting a 12" Smithey!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There's also Field doing that now. I have one of theirs and it's pretty great.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

Just keep using it and don't worry.

New thread title.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Cooked shakshuka the other night. RIP my seasoning. Every time I wipe it with a paper towel, more black flakes come off :negative:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Friend posted:

Cooked shakshuka the other night. RIP my seasoning. Every time I wipe it with a paper towel, more black flakes come off :negative:

If your seasoning flakes off after a few hours of tomato sauce it was really poo poo seasoning to begin with.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Friend posted:

Seasoning that flakes off is, in my experience, a result of applying the seasoning too thickly (too thick for a single layer). Wipe the fat onto a warm skillet, then wipe it all off. You should not be able to see any depth to the fat that remains on there, it should just have a sheen from it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Friend posted:

You fool! You shakshuka'd too hard!

(throw it in a fire, that will fix everything)

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I got a six-inch cast iron hand-me-down when I moved out from my folks' place. I love it more than I thought I'd love such a small pan; it's great for apartment living. I can still do up to four eggs in it, and it's the perfect size for cornbread.

That said, I want something bigger for bigger jobs. I'm thinking a 10 or 12-inch skillet, maybe also a dutch oven. I didn't see anything on buying in the OP.

So beside the obvious "idk check your local thrift/antiques store?", any advice on buying cast iron, either vintage or new? (preferrably used, I'm not made of money). Part of the problem is I'm in the SF bay area so thrift stores are almost exclusively clothes rather than housewares, and what's there is very, very picked over.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
What kind of pan is the one you have now?

Amazon has a 10.25 inch Lodge skillet for $16
https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8SK3-Skillet-Pre-Seasoned-10-25-inch/dp/B00006JSUA

I really prefer older pans. The finish on them is usually much smoother, new Lodge pans have a fairly rough texture. If you use the pan enough the seasoning will eventually get thick enough to smooth out roughness so it's really not much of an issue.

For buying older pans I look at yard sales, flea markets and Craigslist. You could try putting a wanted ad on Craigslist. Ebay is usually way overpriced. Ask your elderly neighbors and other family, sometimes the pans get to be too heavy for them to use so they sit in a cabinet.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Sometimes I wish my 10" was a 12," but then I pick up a 12" in the store and I'm like oh right.

I do need a Dutch oven though, for some reason I don't have one. Enameled is the way to go, right? There's not really any reason for the unfinished at this point is there?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

McSpankWich posted:

Sometimes I wish my 10" was a 12," but then I pick up a 12" in the store and I'm like oh right.

Cast Iron Megathread: Sometimes I wish my 10" was a 12"

McSpankWich posted:

I do need a Dutch oven though, for some reason I don't have one. Enameled is the way to go, right? There's not really any reason for the unfinished at this point is there?

It's a bit twitchier to use an enameled Dutch oven on a campfire, and you can get a better sear on meat with a bare iron version.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

McSpankWich posted:

You'll want bare iron with the feet if you intend to use it while camping. Otherwise yeah, enameled for home use.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

ColdPie posted:

You'll want bare iron with the feet if you intend to use it while camping. Otherwise yeah, enameled for home use.

Bare iron ones also usually have a flat lid with a rim so you can put coals on the top; enameled ones usually have a domed lid. Like you said though, that's only relevant if you're going to use it in a campfire.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Seasoning that flakes off is, in my experience, a result of applying the seasoning too thickly (too thick for a single layer). Wipe the fat onto a warm skillet, then wipe it all off. You should not be able to see any depth to the fat that remains on there, it should just have a sheen from it.

Just to chime in here. My wife got a 6" for Xmas - I ground it smooth and did the standard oven-bake seasoning. She had read about how well Flax polymerized so was excited to use that. First or second usage, nearly a third of it just sheeted off. Which is what led me this page/quote from serious eats.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/how-to-season-cast-iron-pans-skillets-cookware.html posted:

* For the record, we've found that the often-suggested flaxseed oil produces a fast layer of seasoning, but it has a tendency to flake off with use. We don't recommend it.

Have since reseasoned with canola, no issues so far.

Just an anecdote / I'm no expert.

E: Note that both times I baked it, I did so upside down. So if my issue was too much oil ... not quite sure how that'd happen.

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 13, 2017

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Same Great Paste posted:

Just to chime in here. My wife got a 6" for Xmas - I ground it smooth and did the standard oven-bake seasoning. She had read about how well Flax polymerized so was excited to use that. First or second usage, nearly a third of it just sheeted off. Which is what led me this page/quote from serious eats.

Have since reseasoned with canola, no issues so far.

Just an anecdote / I'm no expert.

E: Note that both times I baked it, I did so upside down. So if my issue was too much oil ... not quite sure how that'd happen.

My experience with the flax seed oil method was similar. I did three layers, it looked great, and then started flaking off right away.

I tried a couple different methods after that, before finding the Field Skillet recommended method, which I've been using with grape seed oil with good results:

https://youtu.be/j6Tz3HnnCFs

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have a grape seed spray and a coconut oil spray that both work great for making and maintaining seasonings. I learned the "light but many layers" seasoning technique after the 'puddles of coconut' thing didnt work out.

It's like painting a room of your house. Light layers, sand between coats.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I was going through my pans thinking about selling some of them, especially the 15'' Lodge skillet that is way to big for both my oven and single induction cooktop along with a few smaller skillets that I have duplicates of. I looked up shipping costs and decided it probably wasn't worth bothering with.

While I had them all out I had to re-season a few due to a little rust, it gets pretty humid here in the summer. I decided to take some (bad) pictures of the differences in the finish of the pans.

First, one of my favorite skillets,
Vollrath 6 inch, 1930-1940s. I paid $4 for it.

It has some pitting on it but nice and smooth overall.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Lodge 8 inch, new-ish, I paid $6 for this one.

Very rough pebbly cooking surface.

Lodge 6 inch, New-ish. Also paid $4 for this one.

Same rough finish as the last one. Paid $4 for it.

Generic "Made In Taiwan" 8 inch, Early 1970's. I don't remember where or how I got this one. I wouldn't have bought it.

Poorly machined fairly rough finish.

Lodge 10 inch with a three notch heat ring. Given to my mother as a wedding gift in the late 1970's. She gave it to me about ten years ago. My first cast iron pan and I still use a few times a week.

Nice and smooth

Edit: fixed a picture, added sizes

Biscuit Joiner fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 18, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That's some HD iron right there. You've got some good ones in there.

I really disliked the rough surfaced iron. It's so bad.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

god drat, is that what all new cast iron looks like? appreciation for my hand-me-down pan just spiked

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Stop complaining about Lodge's pebbly surface, everyone. If you cook with it enough all the bumps get submerged in seasoning

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Can confirm. Just cook, fuckos.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Neither of those are the mirror finish of cast iron of yore. Or cast iron that's been angle grinded to a mirror finish.

I"m not saying it's necessary, but I like it and don't mind taking the time to do it to my pans.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
This thread is just going back and forth about pebbly finishes, complicated seasoning technique, then rubber banding right back to 'IDGAF cook bacon'.

To soothe thread nerves and hypertension brought on by too much bacon, let's take another look at my adorable hammer finish no-name 1. Which is such a cute little thing and it soothes me just to look at.

Mobile posting so have the imgur gallery https://imgur.com/gallery/81aMS

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Let's say I wanted to have Cast Iron Aspergers and grind a new pan to an old-fashioned finish. What would that entail? What was the original process that was used on old iron? Is there something different that hobbyists do today?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've got flaking finish, so I might redo a base seasoning with grape seed instead of flax.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I've got flaking finish, so I might redo a base seasoning with grape seed instead of flax.

I have never used it but it has a similar Iodine number to sunflower oil so it should work about the same.

Flaking usually is from putting the oil on too thick. Make sure you preheat the pan to 200F before applying oil so the excess runs off easily.

It can also flake if you get the pan SUPER hot by leaving it on a burner empty for a while but you'd know if that's what happened.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

my turn in the barrel posted:

I have never used it but it has a similar Iodine number to sunflower oil so it should work about the same.

Flaking usually is from putting the oil on too thick. Make sure you preheat the pan to 200F before applying oil so the excess runs off easily.

I've been trying to season just by cooking, but I scrub it out and then dry/heat/lightly oil. It's plausibly below 200 at that point, I'll check it with the IR thermo next time

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Let's say I wanted to have Cast Iron Aspergers and grind a new pan to an old-fashioned finish. What would that entail? What was the original process that was used on old iron? Is there something different that hobbyists do today?

I think most people are using an angle grinder with a sanding wheel on it. Something like this. I would definitely start with something less abrasive, 200 grit maybe. 80 grit on an angle grinder will remove a lot of material very fast.

A random orbital sander would probably be a better choice. It would take a little longer but have much less chance of making a mistake by removing too much material in one area. I see them in pawn shops for $10 all the time.

I believe older pans were machined smooth in a lathe of a mill. The Generic "Made In Taiwan" 8 inch pan that I posted a picture of looks like it was put in a lathe and poorly finished.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I've been trying to season just by cooking, but I scrub it out and then dry/heat/lightly oil. It's plausibly below 200 at that point, I'll check it with the IR thermo next time

That won't really form seasoning that well. You need to get the oil hot enough to polymerize. Just past it's smoke point around 500-550F.

Pretend that you are baking on paint. Too little heat and it never actually dries out and stays tacky inside and can peel off. Thin enough and hot enough and it bonds and forms a nice base layer.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That won't really form seasoning that well. You need to get the oil hot enough to polymerize. Just past it's smoke point around 500-550F.

Pretend that you are baking on paint. Too little heat and it never actually dries out and stays tacky inside and can peel off. Thin enough and hot enough and it bonds and forms a nice base layer.

So how does that work with "just cook"? Unless I'm searing something, my pan doesn't get above 500F.

Seasoning now I'm doing 2 hours at 525F then cooling to 200 to reapply.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

So how does that work with "just cook"? Unless I'm searing something, my pan doesn't get above 500F.

Seasoning now I'm doing 2 hours at 525F then cooling to 200 to reapply.

In my experience it really doesn't work that well. That's why I recommend people do the multiple step flax/sunflower seasoning I have posted about in this thread to get a good base coat.

And if you blow too far past 500F and get up to 700-800 all the seasoning will burn off so while you can season on the stovetop it's easier to do it in the oven.

Also depending on your oven 525 my not be quite hot enough.

Most instructions say as hot as your oven will go which is usually in the 500-550 range. I have tried seasoning things with flax at 500F and it never set until I bumped it up to 550F. Though with oils with a lower smoke point you might get away with 500F.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My oven goes to 525, then broil. Do I want convection, btw?

I'm doing flaxseed for a few coats, then I'll do grapeseed to finish I think.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

My oven goes to 525, then broil. Do I want convection, btw?

I'm doing flaxseed for a few coats, then I'll do grapeseed to finish I think.

see if it goes hotter with convection turned off.

My oven does this wacky thing where it adjusts the convection temps down which means if you want 350 convection you need to set it at 400F and it actually sets it at 350F.

And for seasoning there is no point in using convection as the pan is a giant heat sync and will come up to temp pretty evenly after an hour or 2.

Broiler would probably just burn the seasoning off in spots and not set it in others.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Either leave the factory seasoning on if it's supplied, or season properly once in the oven. Then Just Cook. Each time you're done cooking, clean it gently, avoid scrubbing and heavy soaping. You may have some bits left stuck on there. Who cares. Then dry it and rub it with a paper towel with some canola oil on it to get a super thin layer of oil on the cooking surface. Put it on the burner on High until it just starts to smoke. Take it off. Let it cool. Put it away. Repeat until it's smooth and gorgeous in a few years/decades.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

see if it goes hotter with convection turned off.

My oven does this wacky thing where it adjusts the convection temps down which means if you want 350 convection you need to set it at 400F and it actually sets it at 350F.

And for seasoning there is no point in using convection as the pan is a giant heat sync and will come up to temp pretty evenly after an hour or 2.

Broiler would probably just burn the seasoning off in spots and not set it in others.

I haven't been using convection, so I'll keep not using convection. I thought broiling on the bottom rack upside down might work, I admit. I'll check it with the thermometer on the next pass.

ColdPie posted:

Either leave the factory seasoning on if it's supplied, or season properly once in the oven. Then Just Cook. Each time you're done cooking, clean it gently, avoid scrubbing and heavy soaping. You may have some bits left stuck on there. Who cares. Then dry it and rub it with a paper towel with some canola oil on it to get a super thin layer of oil on the cooking surface. Put it on the burner on High until it just starts to smoke. Take it off. Let it cool. Put it away. Repeat until it's smooth and gorgeous in a few years/decades.

I was getting annoyed with things sticking to the rough spots that developed where things burned on, so I might have been overscrubbing.

I don't wanna wait years. :eng99:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

I was getting annoyed with things sticking to the rough spots that developed where things burned on, so I might have been overscrubbing.

I don't wanna wait years. :eng99:

Maybe, maybe not. The next few days/weeks try cooking with a little more oil in the pan. Before that, take a ... gently caress, metal cotton? what do you call that stuff? ... and with light-medium pressure scrub the entire pan, with a little more pressure on the rough patch until it's smoother.

If you still have burned on patches after cooking, boil water in the pan first before scrubbing the gently caress out of it when you clean. it'll help soften up whatever's burned on.
If that rough patch you're talking about is actually really burned on, just get it smooth (don't bother removing it) and let it become part of the season.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 25, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Steel wool? That's what I've been using, yeah. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

Steel wool? That's what I've been using, yeah. Oh well.

Oky, but don't ever use steel wool while you're cleaning. It's mainly for patch repair jobs. You may have said that earlier, but it's just important to reiterate. I'll use a normal sponge or a plastic bristle dish brush for normal cleaning, or simmer water and lightly scrape it with a metal spatula, or harder with a wooden one.