Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It's different from Souls and more fast-actiony. You can cancel into moves depending on the situation and generally move quicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

LordMune posted:

After purchasing and failing to enjoy Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls II, and Bloodborne, I decided it was still not yet time to learn from my mistakes and pulled the trigger on Nioh.

I'm... enjoying it quite a bit? It's a looty Ninja Gaiden with a thin Souls veneer. Having only beaten a couple of missions the game still has plenty of opportunities to sour me on it in the future, but for now I'm slapping on all the ninja gear and going to town as William Hayabusa.

I actually was just going to ask about this: Would you recommend picking up Nioh if you're not real familiar with Souls-style games?

I've played a little bit of Dark Souls 1. I tried playing about a year ago, but I lost interest pretty quickly, and didn't get very far past where that crow drops you off. I reinstalled it today to see if I could get a better idea if I'd like Nioh or not, though I don't know how similar the two are. A coworker told me that Nioh is a much more fast-paced game, more akin to Ninja Gaiden, like you said. I've played NInja Gaiden Sigma, but I never finished it, and I don't remember how far I got.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I only played Bloodborne and while I'll go back to that to actually get into the first part of the game I feel less like I'm being punished in Nioh than Bloodborne.

Also I don't feel so alone :c why all you mean things want me dead

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

in nioh you can get armor and it actually matters, unlike in bloodborne where it's basically just a fashion choice

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Manatee Cannon posted:

in nioh you can get armor and it actually matters, unlike in bloodborne where it's basically just a fashion choice

No poo poo.

U wondered why well the one set didn't seem to do too much defense wise just made me murder and shoot better.

I look forward to going back and still getting pistol-whipped by Father Glascowgne

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the set you start with is worse than the other armor sets but every single other one is just a side grade. I actually still use the hood sometimes because it looks nice with some armor sets and the difference in defense is still pretty insignificant

the only reason to even look at the numbers on your armor is in the defiled dungeon, where even a few extra numbers in the appropriate defense stat can take you from being oneshot to almost oneshot

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Max Wilco posted:

I actually was just going to ask about this: Would you recommend picking up Nioh if you're not real familiar with Souls-style games?

I've played a little bit of Dark Souls 1. I tried playing about a year ago, but I lost interest pretty quickly, and didn't get very far past where that crow drops you off. I reinstalled it today to see if I could get a better idea if I'd like Nioh or not, though I don't know how similar the two are. A coworker told me that Nioh is a much more fast-paced game, more akin to Ninja Gaiden, like you said. I've played NInja Gaiden Sigma, but I never finished it, and I don't remember how far I got.

I've bounced off all the souls games up, but Nioh really sucked me in. I think it's just the Onimusha vibes I'm getting tho. (the spear is really good too, that helps, because spears rule.)

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Nioh really suffers from some bad translation. I can't tell if these vague gear stat descriptions means I take more damage or do more damage and it's kind of annoying to have to go look it up(haven't bothered yet). Also, game has been pretty easy until now at the first real boss that you have to fight in a broom closet on a ship. :/

Oh yeah: Three basically identical tutorials in a row is pretty funny. I guess they had some real trouble with people not getting it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Obsurveyor posted:

Oh yeah: Three basically identical tutorials in a row is pretty funny. I guess they had some real trouble with people not getting it.

There's a part at the beginning of Dead Space 1 where you find an audio log that describes how cutting the limbs off enemies is effective, also your partner radios to tell you that you should cut off their limbs, also a popup alert tells you to cut off their limbs, also there's a dead guy who wrote CUT OFF THEIR LIMBS on the wall in his own blood.

Of course if devs didn't do this everyone who didn't figure out the gimmick would post online about how obtuse and frustrating the game is.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Tomie knows me posted:

I've bounced off all the souls games up, but Nioh really sucked me in. I think it's just the Onimusha vibes I'm getting tho. (the spear is really good too, that helps, because spears rule.)

To be honest, I've never really been that interested in the Souls games. I just picked up DS1 on a whim because everybody was going on about it, and I just wanted to give it shot and see whether I liked it or not.

I generally tend to avoid really difficult games, but apart from that, Dark Souls story and setting never really grabbed me. In contrast, I find NIoh's Sengoku-era Japan setting more appealing, probably because I read James Clavell's Shogun not too long ago (which I surprised to see the designers took inspiration from). The difficulty level is really what deters me from picking it up, but from the sounds of it, it sounds like I might take to it better than I did Dark Souls.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Obsurveyor posted:

Nioh really suffers from some bad translation. I can't tell if these vague gear stat descriptions means I take more damage or do more damage and it's kind of annoying to have to go look it up(haven't bothered yet). Also, game has been pretty easy until now at the first real boss that you have to fight in a broom closet on a ship. :/

Ask in the Nioh thread there are a lot of cats who have figured out what does what despite what terrible words were given

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

BlindNinja posted:

Yea I know that, but as far as switching between enemies and using link attacks (and I guess thats as deep as it gets?). I feel like I'm fumbling around. Maybe I'm expecting combos and the feel of combat to be more seamless and fluid that it's designed to be.

/\
I have embraced the awesomeness of spells however.

Make sure you finish enemies off with warp strikes, because each enemy you kill with a warp strike will give you an AP, and you'll want as many AP as you can get your hands on. The further away you are, the more damage your warp strike will do. Plus when you warp to a warp point your MP will instantly be refilled, so you should be warping around a lot when given the opportunity.

Ignis' Regroup and Overwhelm techniques are insanely good. Prompto's Piercer and Gravisphere are excellent for tough single enemies and large groups respectively. Good use of skills will make things a lot simpler.

Making food that one of your companions likes will increase the critical rate for their techs and also double the tech xp they get for using their techs. Making food that Noctis likes will increase the rate the tech bar fills up.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Max Wilco posted:

The difficulty level is really what deters me from picking it up, but from the sounds of it, it sounds like I might take to it better than I did Dark Souls.

While Souls veterans will probably insist otherwise, Nioh is not an easy game. That said, it has a number of things that make it significantly easier to play than Souls games. The mission-based structure (as opposed to Souls' interconnected world) lessens some of the overall stress of bring in an ultra-hostile game world. Likewise the lack of item durability (as a system) removes another potential stressor. For fights there's even a get out of jail free card in the form of a special move that powers up your attacks and renders you effectively invincible for a short duration.

It might turn out to be a deception, but Nioh definitely takes great care to make the player feel empowered through a wealth of combat options and a steady stream of loot right from the start of the first proper mission.

Game will still kill you a lot though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

I'd say do bloodborne first then get around to Nioh afterwards. Nioh is really cool but Bloodborne is better and you can score it for less than $20 anywhere.

LordMune posted:

While Souls veterans will probably insist otherwise, Nioh is not an easy game. That said, it has a number of things that make it significantly easier to play than Souls games. The mission-based structure (as opposed to Souls' interconnected world) lessens some of the overall stress of bring in an ultra-hostile game world. Likewise the lack of item durability (as a system) removes another potential stressor. For fights there's even a get out of jail free card in the form of a special move that powers up your attacks and renders you effectively invincible for a short duration.

It might turn out to be a deception, but Nioh definitely takes great care to make the player feel empowered through a wealth of combat options and a steady stream of loot right from the start of the first proper mission.

Game will still kill you a lot though.

I've been playing Souls for as long as it's been around and I don't think Nioh is easy. The bosses consistently give me more trouble than Souls but the levels aren't too bad.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 12, 2017

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Paracelsus posted:

Make sure you finish enemies off with warp strikes, because each enemy you kill with a warp strike will give you an AP, and you'll want as many AP as you can get your hands on. The further away you are, the more damage your warp strike will do. Plus when you warp to a warp point your MP will instantly be refilled, so you should be warping around a lot when given the opportunity.

Ignis' Regroup and Overwhelm techniques are insanely good. Prompto's Piercer and Gravisphere are excellent for tough single enemies and large groups respectively. Good use of skills will make things a lot simpler.

Making food that one of your companions likes will increase the critical rate for their techs and also double the tech xp they get for using their techs. Making food that Noctis likes will increase the rate the tech bar fills up.

This is super helpful. Thanks!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Nioh sure likes to throw you into combat inside of a shoebox but the second boss's chamber is huge, which made me think she'd somehow use all that space but I guess not?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Obsurveyor posted:

Yeah the translations are terrible, but you have the same souls ability to press option to get more info about a stat, that combined with some reading between the lines and watching videos or testing it out makes it pretty easy to figure out.

As far as I can tell I don't think any gear attributes are negative, so if you get something like "received arrow damage 15%" I think that means reduces it by 15%, not increases it by 15% (which would be bad). I'm not positive but I believe that to be the case.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Nioh sure likes to throw you into combat inside of a shoebox but the second boss's chamber is huge, which made me think she'd somehow use all that space but I guess not?

You can use all that space to help run around and dodge, but its kinda a trap because she's easier if you stay real close to her.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Someone said in the Nioh thread that it seems like the people who translated it did a good job of actual translation but don't understand video games which seems pretty spot on.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I was garbage at Ninja Gaiden but I've beaten all the DaSes and Bloodborne, what're my chances here with Nioh? I'm seeing people say they get hundreds of deaths in a single region, and I'm over here knowing Souls games are difficult but I haven't had that many deaths across those four games combined, probably.

Is this just more of a case of people needing to get good or is this game's rep legit, is what I'm asking, I guess.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I said I wouldn't buy another game until I finish the backlog (currently Yakuza 0 and Tomb Raider Rise) but all this nioh talk is making me thirsty 👀

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So far I'd say it's slightly easier than Souls but the bosses tend to annoy me really quickly and I've summoned for a bunch but I'd say I died 75 times in the first 1/3rd of the game. probably would have been a lot more if I didn't cheese the bosses but the levels aren't super hard. Usually only die 2-3 times getting to a boss.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 12, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Soul Glo posted:

I was garbage at Ninja Gaiden but I've beaten all the DaSes and Bloodborne, what're my chances here with Nioh? I'm seeing people say they get hundreds of deaths in a single region, and I'm over here knowing Souls games are difficult but I haven't had that many deaths across those four games combined, probably.

Is this just more of a case of people needing to get good or is this game's rep legit, is what I'm asking, I guess.

People are really bad at video game so ignore them. anion isn't easy but it isn't that hard either.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Soul Glo posted:

People need to git gud. Belzac beat the game with like, 5 deaths total?

I average single digit deaths on most bosses, with a couple exceptions. Its just a hard skill game with lots of stuff that isn't obvious, so lots of people are brute forcing their way through the game when they don't realize how they could be playing better. Like Souls, but its not been around as long as souls so there's not as much community knowledge. Its like when DeS first came out.

I think its slightly harder than souls but its also deeper and more rewarding, and if you want to you can create builds that break bosses in half.

I'm also having more fun with it than I did DS3.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have died hundreds of times in Nioh, yes (currently up to 605) but I also died about a hundred times in Central Yharnam so you can do the math from there

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I said I wouldn't buy another game until I finish the backlog (currently Yakuza 0 and Tomb Raider Rise) but all this nioh talk is making me thirsty 👀

I know I'm getting Nioh, but I want to beat God of War III remaster, then Uncharted 3, then Doom, then UC4 before impulse buying Nioh. I don't want to end with a backlog as huge as my Steam's where I have close to 600 games still to play...

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have died hundreds of times in Nioh, yes (currently up to 605) but I also died about a hundred times in Central Yharnam so you can do the math from there

I'm amazed that you still find the game fun at that point, actually I'm not, you just seem to find anything labelled a videogame fun regardless of its content.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The optional bosses in Nioh are stupid hard but that was true of Souls too. One of the things I like about Nioh compared to Souls is the whole thing is quicker. You move quicker, loading is quicker, your attacks are quicker. On that big dumb optional boss in the first region that everyone dies on a ton, it takes 3 seconds to get back to the fight from when you die. Granted, that optional boss is in a stage that is literally just a little field and him.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
I bought the Platinum headset and it kind of sucks rear end. Lots of electrical interference noise from the USB end, left channel noticeably louder than right and the sound quality is okay but nothing spectacular. They're not very comfortable if you've got a pointy head either.

The (faux) surround stuff is admittedly neat though, like in Yakuza 0 there's a lot of ambient daily life noise and it actually sounds like you're surrounded by people.

Also note that while it's plug & play on (windows) PCs you lose all the surround processing functionality for some reason so it's just a wireless stereo headset.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
My anniversary DS4 was working fine and suddenly it's bricked. I tried connecting to the console via USB and holding the PS button when powering up to no effect. Any other ideas, or is it destined for the garbage? :ohdear:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

My anniversary DS4 was working fine and suddenly it's bricked. I tried connecting to the console via USB and holding the PS button when powering up to no effect. Any other ideas, or is it destined for the garbage? :ohdear:

Did you update to beta firmware?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Feenix posted:

Did you update to beta firmware?

No idea unless it auto updated.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What are goon favourite indie games (or games that only can be purchased digitally)? Stuff that is under 20$ outside sales. FPS, sports, racing and RPG (action and western RPGs, I don't like JRPGs).

For example, I added to my wishlist Duke3D: 20th Anniversary because I own Duke Nukem 3D on every platform I can but I'll wait for a sale and I plan on getting The binding of Isaac rebirth on a sale too. Resogun looks awesome too.

Any more recommendations to add to my wishlist?

Edit: Forgot to mention that I own Rocket League on PC but if it ever gets heavily discounted on PS4 I'll pick it again.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 12, 2017

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

shovel knight

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
The Binding of Isaac, Spelunky.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Stay strong. Tomb Raider isn't a long game and it's not the kind of game that you'll need/want to sink a lot of time into the way you will for Nioh to improve your skills. Unless you're bug into collectibles you can be finished with TR quickly.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So Amazon.co.uk are doing a special double deal where you can pickup The Last Guardian and the Blu Ray of The Never Ending Story for £32

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MSWWN8T?th=1

What the christ

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Guillermus posted:

I know I'm getting Nioh, but I want to beat God of War III remaster, then Uncharted 3, then Doom, then UC4 before impulse buying Nioh. I don't want to end with a backlog as huge as my Steam's where I have close to 600 games still to play...

I know the feeling. I've managed to get through a bunch of games on the PS4 since i got it before Xmas but have the following yet to play/finish (thanks sale):

Disgaea 5
KillZone
The Order
Bloodborne (+DLC)
Dragon Quest Heroes
Beyond Two Souls
Heavy Rain
Street Fighter 5
Mirrors Edge Catalyst
Guitar Hero (though you can't really 'complete' this)

I made a vow to not buy any more PS4 games this year but my work pays out bonuses in the form of Amazon Vouchers, so it's not really hitting my pocket.

As such, despite my vow, i've just bought:
Dragon Quest Builders
The Last of Us Remastered
Kingdom Hearts 2.8

And preordered the kingdome hearts HD re-releases.

I'm not even counting the PS+ games that i might skip over really unless there's something really good. Little Big Planet 3 seems kinda alright but not really worth putting 10+ hours in to finish the campaign.

I think i've crossed off a fair few big games too:

Final Fantasy 15
Destiny
Until Dawn
Uncharted 1-4
Everybody's gone to the rapture
The Last Guardian

But those other ones i've still to play are going to take a btit of time to get through (especially the Kingdom Hearts games at about 40 hours a piece). Can't really complain though as it's all gonna be fun, but i think that it's high time to draw a line on buying any new games until i play through all of these (and pretty much every multiplat that came out last year and is sitting on my Steam backlog).

edit: In all honesty it feels like i'm still stuck in some kind of scarcity trigger where i see soething for £20 and think i gotta get it before it sells out. When in reality, these days every game is still gonna be pretty available and probably cheaper) when i get around to buying it after i finish everything else.

Kin fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 12, 2017

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Obsurveyor posted:

You can hit the options button on almost all menu screens to enter help mode which allows you to scroll through each stat to learn a bit more.

The help mode will explain exactly what you mentioned regarding taking vs giving damage and stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kin posted:

But those other ones i've still to play are going to take a btit of time to get through (especially the Kingdom Hearts games at about 40 hours a piece). Can't really complain though as it's all gonna be fun, but i think that it's high time to draw a line on buying any new games until i play through all of these (and pretty much every multiplat that came out last year and is sitting on my Steam backlog).

Just stop lying to yourself now and accept that you're gonna keep building that backlog. You know you're gonna keep buying more games this year, we know you're gonna keep buying new games this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kin posted:

I know the feeling. I've managed to get through a bunch of games on the PS4 since i got it before Xmas but have the following yet to play/finish (thanks sale):

Disgaea 5
KillZone
The Order
Bloodborne (+DLC)
Dragon Quest Heroes
Beyond Two Souls
Heavy Rain
Street Fighter 5
Mirrors Edge Catalyst
Guitar Hero (though you can't really 'complete' this)

I made a vow to not buy any more PS4 games this year but my work pays out bonuses in the form of Amazon Vouchers, so it's not really hitting my pocket.

As such, despite my vow, i've just bought:
Dragon Quest Builders
The Last of Us Remastered
Kingdom Hearts 2.8

And preordered the kingdome hearts HD re-releases.

I'm not even counting the PS+ games that i might skip over really unless there's something really good. Little Big Planet 3 seems kinda alright but not really worth putting 10+ hours in to finish the campaign.

I think i've crossed off a fair few big games too:

Final Fantasy 15
Destiny
Until Dawn
Uncharted 1-4
Everybody's gone to the rapture
The Last Guardian

Looks like someone still needs Yakuza 0. :getin: