Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

jokes posted:

I'm at a crossroads. I really like using a small case that is VERY silent (100% silent at rest) that can run video games at very high resolution, so everything is already an uphill battle.

I currently use a Node 202 with a 970 and 6500. I'm thinking of upgrading it to a 1080 and 7700k to take advantage of my new 1440p@144Hz G-sync monitor. However, the Node 202 has very little space for a nice CPU cooler so it might be prudent to simply get the 7700, so I don't have to mess around with overclocking and worrying about CPU temps (my current Noctua is very silent and efficient). Since I won't be able to get a sufficient cooler for overclocking, I THINK I should just get the 7700 but I don't know-- maybe someone here knows better.

As far as graphics cards go, I'm curious if a 1080 is even a prudent choice since as I understand it, they can't even sufficiently carry 1440p@144Hz without SLI poo poo. Would the 1080Ti even be able to carry that performance?

e: or I could just get another very small and very cool case. That Dan A4 looks good, but I guess they're not available.

If you're looking for silence you need a case that has a decent amount of space for cooling and decent sound proofing, the Nano S is a good option, even though it's not a really small case. 2560×1440 @ 144Hz is a hard task, a Titan XP won't be wasted in that situation, but it's a lot of money to spend, and it definitely won't run silently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

jokes posted:

I'm at a crossroads. I really like using a small case that is VERY silent (100% silent at rest) that can run video games at very high resolution, so everything is already an uphill battle.

I currently use a Node 202 with a 970 and 6500. I'm thinking of upgrading it to a 1080 and 7700k to take advantage of my new 1440p@144Hz G-sync monitor. However, the Node 202 has very little space for a nice CPU cooler so it might be prudent to simply get the 7700, so I don't have to mess around with overclocking and worrying about CPU temps (my current Noctua is very silent and efficient). Since I won't be able to get a sufficient cooler for overclocking, I THINK I should just get the 7700 but I don't know-- maybe someone here knows better.

As far as graphics cards go, I'm curious if a 1080 is even a prudent choice since as I understand it, they can't even sufficiently carry 1440p@144Hz without SLI poo poo. Would the 1080Ti even be able to carry that performance?

e: or I could just get another very small and very cool case. That Dan A4 looks good, but I guess they're not available.

The 1080 would be fine, you have G-sync anyway. I push 3440x1440@95hz G-Sync with my 1080 and it's just fine, always smooth.

As far as the cooling goes, I think putting skin fans over the video card helps a lot.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Soon.

Just waiting on a replacement SSD and my case.

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot

Photex posted:

Soon.

Good to see someone is aware of the importance of an extra bottle of sriracha in a mITX build

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

lock stock and Cheryl posted:

Good to see someone is aware of the importance of an extra bottle of sriracha in a mITX build

Going to add some Mio to that water cooler. If it ever springs a leak he can just drink it dry.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Photex posted:

Soon.

Interested to hear how that mobo goes. Looking to get one to replace my Z170n-wifi. I really like the m2 on top with heat sink

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Salted_Pork posted:

Interested to hear how that mobo goes. Looking to get one to replace my Z170n-wifi. I really like the m2 on top with heat sink

Had it been available when I was building my current box, it would have been the one I went for. Two M.2 slots on an ITX board is pretty nuts, and ASUS motherboards are generally pretty damned good all around.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm going on an adventure!

I've decided I'm going to build me a console-sized rig that is dead silent when not at load, and can accommodate the strongest graphics cards available-- specifically for my ACER XB271HU which does 1440p@144Hz with G-sync. When those two things are sorted out, I'm gonna try to do the overclock game.

Right now, in addition to a simple i5-6500 I won't be loving with just yet, I use a node 202 (mITX) with the integra 450 SFX PSU it came with, a GTX 970 Asus Turbo, and a Noctua CPU Cooler. I also use two 120mm Noctua Nf-12 case fans but honestly they don't do much.

The build is near-silent at rest but it's not DEAD silent and I am willing to spend a lot of money to make my dreams come true.

First things first, I'm switching to the FTZ-01 by Silverstone. This case is very similar to the Node 202, but it has two features. First, it's not as wide so it's cuter, and second: it accommodates open-air graphics cards. One of the lovely things about blower-style/reference video cards is that there are no models, to my knowledge, that go silent when not in use. The node 202 doesn't accommodate open-air coolers because its graphics card chamber is too small and poorly ventilated. It also causes a good amount of heat to wash over the processor causing other problems. The FTZ-01 somehow remedies this. When I get it, we'll see about that, because I have already bought this MSI GTX 1080 Armor OC.

Next stop is the PSU. Since the Node 202 came with the Integra 450 SFX PSU, I decided to change to the Corsair SF450. This little guy does not engage the fans until at load. So that should solve that problem. Total TDP for a 1080 and the rest of my stuff is somewhere around 375w so I'm good with the 450w and not the 600w.

And my final stop for this first foray into silent PC builds are the CPU coolers and case fans. Now, since these cases are so tiny this is where my only real compromise will be. I can't go for one of them fanless styles because they are gigantic (unless I've missed a smaller version). However, I CAN make my motherboard have a smart fan setting in the BIOS that only turns the CPU cooler on when it reaches 50c. Alternatively, I just let the little guy run constantly since it's basically silent and I never know if it's on or not as it is. The case fans will be controlled by a fan controller I'll pick up for like $10 somewhere that I'll manually turn on when I'm going to play a video game.

In any event, I'm wondering: since my next step will be to change my motherboard and CPU situation since my CPU bottlenecks my GPU hard but likely won't be overclocking, would I get a Zx70 Hx70 or Bx70? And, more importantly, should I shoot for the x270 motherboard chipset if I'm more likely than not going to get an i7-7700 or i7-7700k?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The FTZ-01 is just a fancier exterior version of the old RVZ01, same interior and everything. This means it has separate chambers for the graphics card and motherboard, much like the RVZ02, and room for a 3.5" HD, two SSDs, and a slim optical. But the main thing it's larger size gets you over the Node 202 or RVZ02 is MORE FANS. That's right, there's room for 2 slim 120mm fans over the graphics card and one over the CPU cooler (case comes with 2 I think). This means that even with the fan filters, it can pull in fresh air constantly and give even lower temps than the RVZ02 and Node 202. However, it won't be quieter, and you won't have less fans.

If you're going for QUIET, you want a much larger case with sound dampening. If you want LESS FANS, then you aren't going to beat your existing Node 202 or the RVZ02, but they're not going to be quieter than a larger sound dampened case because even at idle, your CPU fan is going to be running.

Also be aware that RVZ01/FTZ01's graphics card bracket is apparently a giant PITA to deal with, moreso than the Node 202.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Feb 12, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Man, there's a lot to like about the Asus motherboard but I can't get over the price. I tend to cheap out on motherboards just going for features, but it seems to be the only ITX mobo with two m.2's. I guess it's a good thing I don't have a job right now or I'd be knee deep in an $280 A4-SFX, $200 motherboard and who knows what else. Also heat shields or whatever are stupid for m.2's and every report has said they don't work, just a heads up.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Strangely enough, the Node 202 actually has space for two 120mm fans in the graphics card chamber. The issue is that in using them, you're effectively blocking the side vents meaning the hot air can only exit via the rear port area for the graphics card. The rest of the heat has to necessarily flow upward into the CPU chamber, eventually venting out the top and back of the whole case after washing over every other component.

The FTZ01 thankfully has a bigass vent for letting heat out right in the graphics card chamber that the Node 202 doesn't necessarily match; I'm PRETTY sure that's why the FTZ01 is able to get such better temperatures than the node 202 with open air graphics cards.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

So now all of a sudden the Metis Plus won't be available in the US till April, so I broke down and got the older model, guess i'll just have to break out the drill and put some vent holes on the top.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

I was going to try mounting this whole piece behind my monitor, and try to keep under the Ergotron's 25lbs weight limit, and the wrap bezel is a little over a pound, it weights about as much as rest of the case combined.
Which Ergotron? I'm using the MX with a display that's a bit larger than it's rated for and it works fine, there might be a little bit of leeway with weight as well.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
For the dudes who are trying to build a DEAD SILENT case, consider that a random component like your GPU may have coil whine which sorta invalidates the whole thing :smith:

Although to be fair, I don't know how well noise dampening cases handle high pitched cool whine.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Which Ergotron? I'm using the MX with a display that's a bit larger than it's rated for and it works fine, there might be a little bit of leeway with weight as well.

Mine's an LX which should be good between 20-25 pounds, but thanks for pointing out the MX, maybe I'll upgrade to that if I can't get the whole thing light enough.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I found one on ebay for about half of what they go for new, def recommend used if you can find one.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dali Parton posted:

For the dudes who are trying to build a DEAD SILENT case, consider that a random component like your GPU may have coil whine which sorta invalidates the whole thing :smith:

Although to be fair, I don't know how well noise dampening cases handle high pitched cool whine.

Coil whine is a valid reason for a return. I also recommend buying graphics cards from a place like micro center or Fry's because they do returns proper.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

jokes posted:

Coil whine is a valid reason for a return. I also recommend buying graphics cards from a place like micro center or Fry's because they do returns proper.

Yeah. Only mention it because I have neither of those places near me, and while EVGA came in clutch with their advanced RMA solution, I still got another 'whiner. This generation build is the only time I experienced cool whine, but this is also the first build that I put on my desk next to my monitor, with practically zero fan noise (which might have made it finally audible?).

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
I have a semi modular psu, and I'm thinking of sleeving all the cables from it. The cables from the psu are way longer than I need for my build, and I was wondering if anyone had cut their cables short and if they had any advice. I'm thinking of trimming them back to 30 or 40 cm, from 60 cm. I'm also considering cutting out two connectors from a sata power cable.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

buglord posted:

Yeah. Only mention it because I have neither of those places near me, and while EVGA came in clutch with their advanced RMA solution, I still got another 'whiner. This generation build is the only time I experienced cool whine, but this is also the first build that I put on my desk next to my monitor, with practically zero fan noise (which might have made it finally audible?).

That's a tough break bro. I feel like this generation of GPUs had a lot more problems than others, what with some of them exploding and whatnot so I just assume each GPU purchase is a raffle ticket for a grab bag of hosed up poo poo. Then again, I've also never been involved with GPU chat until the GTX900 series came out.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Zero VGS: What up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Ks5ps68iA

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Right? I love that dork. I was the first person to receive and cram the Zotac 1080 into that case but someone else bought one and mailed it straight to him, so he went off the fitment notes I posted and he engineered an acrylic faceplate. It's like we're all trailblazing the SFF world together. Others in that thread posted up outlines for laser cutting the faceplates so I'm probably going to go up the street to the local laser cutting shop and try it out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Problem with the S4 Mini is simply that there are no meshes so it's gonna get real dusty (I think) and the power supply is gonna be a hassle. I'd rather not deal with a power brick or whatever. Plus it looks like it belongs in a machine shop.

Also the problem is that they're out of stock I guess. :smith:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

jokes posted:

Problem with the S4 Mini is simply that there are no meshes so it's gonna get real dusty (I think) and the power supply is gonna be a hassle. I'd rather not deal with a power brick or whatever. Plus it looks like it belongs in a machine shop.

Also the problem is that they're out of stock I guess. :smith:

Buy this for $50 and never speak of dust again: https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Airrow-Multi-Use-Electric-Computer/dp/B01BI4UQK0/

"it looks like it belongs in a machine shop" is that supposed to mean not awesome? I don't get it.

Like, I own one that I'm still building up, it is rock solid though. The power supply is not a hassle, you just chuck it behind your desk, and take it with you if you're traveling, like you would with a laptop.

I don't know why people are down on the laptop bricks, hell people pay extra money for a fanless desktop PSU when every laptop PSU is fanless and has it's own ruggedized shell.

Truth be told, just as I'm close to finishing this S4 build, that drat ASRock MXM motherboard comes along and I'm seriously considering paying the MXM GPU tax for that because it's practically a NUC-sized GTX 1080 PC that is upgradable... need to talk myself out of it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

If I didn't have all this stuff already, I'd probably be doing the same thing Zero VGS did. It's definitely more expensive, though. The Case is over $200, and the power supply is like $80+$100. But especially with that dual M.2 motherboard, you can build a super clean and compact system and compromise and pretty much nothing.

Anyway, I'd definitely take a power brick over another fan.

Fun fact: I went to raise my desk last night and my audio cable from my subwoofer was too short and my computer fell off my desk. Arma 3 kept running like a champ. Life is good when the only moving parts in your case are fans.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Zero VGS posted:

Buy this for $50 and never speak of dust again: https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Airrow-Multi-Use-Electric-Computer/dp/B01BI4UQK0/

"it looks like it belongs in a machine shop" is that supposed to mean not awesome? I don't get it.

Like, I own one that I'm still building up, it is rock solid though. The power supply is not a hassle, you just chuck it behind your desk, and take it with you if you're traveling, like you would with a laptop.

I don't know why people are down on the laptop bricks, hell people pay extra money for a fanless desktop PSU when every laptop PSU is fanless and has it's own ruggedized shell.

Truth be told, just as I'm close to finishing this S4 build, that drat ASRock MXM motherboard comes along and I'm seriously considering paying the MXM GPU tax for that because it's practically a NUC-sized GTX 1080 PC that is upgradable... need to talk myself out of it.

I guess I just prefer that simple/minimal look that companies like Apple or Streacom use. Smooth, brushed aluminum that honestly isn't particularly functional but looks "clean". But poo poo that S4 mini looks cute, I think I'm just salty because I can't get one for a while.

The best, and only redeeming factor, in having a big rear end power brick for your computer is that it allows you to reduce the number of fans by 1 and, with a fan controller, you can go semi-fanless for sure.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Anyone familiar with low-profile/half-height video cards? There are a few 1050/Ti models coming out and I was curious about dropping one into a business-class SFF; the 1050s are nice because they only use up to 75 W through the slot and don't need external power connectors (although there are some overclocked models that include them.) The thing is, as I was researching this stuff I found that at lot of the boards in these systems limit the power through the PCIe 16x slots; the Lenovo ThinkCentre M9x/M8x SFFs for example seem to max out at 40 W for each of their two 16x PCIe slots. Beyond that, the PCIe spec itself seems to mandate a maximum power of 25 W through a 16x half-height slot. Do you know the reason for this kind of discrepancy in the first place, and then what I could expect to happen if I tried to run an AIB that wanted to draw 75 W from a slot that only provided 40 W, or worse, 25 W? I mean I'd expect reduced performance maybe, but I'm more concerned about crashing or other system instability.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
If anyone was looking at slim 140mm fans, I bought both the Raijintek Aeolus https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA66Z28S3551 and the Cryorig CR-XTA https://smile.amazon.com/Cryorig-CR-XTA-140mm-Profile-System/dp/B00IAPV5YW

Both are 140mm by 13mm thin, the thinnest I could find. I used calipers though and the Raijintek was 13.6mm thick while the Cryorig was 12.9mm. The Cryorig also had much nicer packaging, aesthetics, and featured ball bearings on some kind of rubber anti-vibration mount for the fan, while the Raijintek used a plain sleeve bearing. They are both inaudible at my PC's RPM settings though. They're the same price so I'd say the Cryorig is a much better value.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

As much as I don't really care for the Nano S, it is on sale for $50 or $45 for the non-windowed version.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352062&cm_re=nano_s-_-11-352-062-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352061&cm_re=nano_s-_-11-352-061-_-Product

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Unfortunately the Aegis X isn't booting (no power to display - onboard or discrete - or any USB port), so no snazzy pics of Isaac Clarke until after I can call their support line on Tuesday :bahgawd:

Edit: looks like I found the problem! Should be able to finish it tomorrow after new parts arrive. Thank you Amazon for same-day Sunday delivery.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 19, 2017

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16388

Is this a good deal for an ultra low budget SFF PC? I mainly just want to throw linux on it, use it as a Plex/torrent/file server. I don't need a lot of power for gaming as I have a gaming rig for a desktop, I'd like to use the Steam In Home Streaming too, is it powerful enough for that? I'm probably going to throw another 4GB of ram in it and maybe an SSD.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

FlyingCheese posted:

Is this a good deal for an ultra low budget SFF PC? I mainly just want to throw linux on it, use it as a Plex/torrent/file server. I don't need a lot of power for gaming as I have a gaming rig for a desktop, I'd like to use the Steam In Home Streaming too, is it powerful enough for that? I'm probably going to throw another 4GB of ram in it and maybe an SSD.

Just buy a shield TV or something supported and good

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Malcolm XML posted:

Just buy a shield TV or something supported and good

It's going to be used for more than just streaming though. Streaming is basically just a bonus here. Duly noted about supported and good though.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 19, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
You can just get a pentium, BXXX mobo, and a case that suits your needs-- install ubuntu on a flash drive, and stick home on the regular drives. I got the anniversary pentium and stuck it in a node 304 for the 6 hard drive spots-- a nice little server, and since steam streaming is nothing more than low latency video streaming, practically anything that can watch netflix can stream games (including any core processors, id imagine). Though honestly it might be just as good to get a surplus sandy bridge xeon or something for cheap, and just get a steam link.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

You could probably just get a NUC for roughly the same cost if you're going to add RAM and an SSD, instead of an old machine with an ancient i5. That said it's not a horrible deal since it comes with a copy of Windows.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

FlyingCheese posted:

This is $170, fanless, and is the size of a smartphone: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883722004

We use them at work and I have one at home for streaming, it has a Skylake CPU in it so it has very robust encoding/decoding.

It has a 4-hour battery on it if you want to move it around between rooms, and it has 4gb ram and 64gb emmc flash, with an SD card expansion slot.

I've always run Windows on it, as you can see from the reviews some Linux users have success and some not so much. Did I mention it's $170?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEG_F-VF5pg

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 19, 2017

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Coldforge posted:

Unfortunately the Aegis X isn't booting (no power to display - onboard or discrete - or any USB port), so no snazzy pics of Isaac Clarke until after I can call their support line on Tuesday :bahgawd:

Edit: looks like I found the problem! Should be able to finish it tomorrow after new parts arrive. Thank you Amazon for same-day Sunday delivery.

Annnnnnnnd nevermind, please do not be like me: :siren:avoid the MSI Aegis:siren:. Windows install crashed with an IRQ-L error, and the bios is now inaccessible, with no apparent way to clear CMOS - there's no reset switch, and the battery is mounted behind the water pump, which cannot be removed. Returning this POS on Tuesday and I guess I'll just build from scratch instead (since I'm stuck with the new Skylake processor).

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Zero VGS posted:

This is $170, fanless, and is the size of a smartphone: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883722004

We use them at work and I have one at home for streaming, it has a Skylake CPU in it so it has very robust encoding/decoding.

It has a 4-hour battery on it if you want to move it around between rooms, and it has 4gb ram and 64gb emmc flash, with an SD card expansion slot.

I've always run Windows on it, as you can see from the reviews some Linux users have success and some not so much. Did I mention it's $170?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEG_F-VF5pg

That's Cherry Trail, not Skylake. Hardware encoding support might be similar but CPU capabilities are not at all, it's a low-power tablet/phone processor.

If you're going to get an old desktop for an HTPC I'd reach a generation newer and get a quad-core Sandy Bridge instead of a dual-core Lynnfield for not much price difference.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 20, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Eletriarnation posted:

That's Cherry Trail, not Skylake. Hardware encoding support might be similar but CPU capabilities are not at all, it's a low-power tablet/phone processor.

If you're going to get an old desktop for an HTPC I'd reach a generation newer and get a quad-core Sandy Bridge instead of a dual-core Lynnfield for not much price difference.

I mean yeah it's an Atom chip, Cherry Trail, sorry, I use Skylake to mean "14nm", as in super power efficient. With Prime95 I think it was capping out at 15 watts which explains how they can have it passively cooled.

Edit: It is four actual cores that can burst to 2.24ghz, it's no slouch: https://ark.intel.com/m/products/85474/Intel-Atom-x5-Z8500-Processor-2M-Cache-up-to-2_24-GHz

Edit 2: Dedicated HEVC decoding as well.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Coldforge posted:

Annnnnnnnd nevermind, please do not be like me: :siren:avoid the MSI Aegis:siren:. Windows install crashed with an IRQ-L error, and the bios is now inaccessible, with no apparent way to clear CMOS - there's no reset switch, and the battery is mounted behind the water pump, which cannot be removed. Returning this POS on Tuesday and I guess I'll just build from scratch instead (since I'm stuck with the new Skylake processor).
Shame that happened, but I'm not surprised at this point.

Anecdotal but my MSI GTX 970 capacitor blowing up and the crazy 1 month RMA turn-around time has me wary of MSI now. If that happened prior to my new PC build, I wouldnt have purchased my mITX MSI motherboard. Hell now that I think of it, my previous MSI AMD card had problems too, but I attributed it to AMD back then when it was most likely a physical problem being represented by driver crashes. Being a brand warrior of anything is dumb, but my positive recent experiences with EVGA makes me pretty loyal to them now.