Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Entropy238 posted:

I have never had any desire to do a triple crown solo or iron man run – and I enjoy a good challenge in Pillars. Losing a save after 25 hours in does not seem like fun.

Honestly PotD Iron Man with a full party is not so bad and really keeps you on your toes, it's a pretty good feeling.

TCS is something else entirely and the way I do it is having a 1:1 parallel campaign except not Iron Man. I'm not very proud of this but it's just crazy to do it any other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CottonWolf posted:

The Vailian Republics are horrible imperialists out to make profit at any cost, the Kind Wayfarers actually seem like nice people. You're doing her a favour getting her thrown out. (Maybe.)

If you do Galawain's choice, Pallegina can have the luxury of doing the right thing and being reinstated in the BotFS.

Unsure how well that works out for her in the long term though. I can see a possibility of serious complications.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I wish I could make some choices that lead to Pallegina joining my Bleak Walker Paladin's order.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I can't decide if Bleak Walkers are on the right side or the bad side of toeing edgelord-iness. On one hand, they're basically Terminators, which is pretty rad. On the other hand, ehhhh, they're Terminators :geno:

Also they're mechanically worse in combat than Kind Wayfarers which is kind of comical.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
the vailian republics dont deserve Pallegina. i'd rather her work with the kind wayfarers and try and effect change for her country from outside the system rather than work within it and be constantly undermined

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Dick Burglar posted:

I can't decide if Bleak Walkers are on the right side or the bad side of toeing edgelord-iness. On one hand, they're basically Terminators, which is pretty rad. On the other hand, ehhhh, they're Terminators :geno:

Also they're mechanically worse in combat than Kind Wayfarers which is kind of comical.

Spoken like someone who has never used Bittercut with Remember Rakhan Field :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tomorrows Ace posted:

the vailian republics dont deserve Pallegina. i'd rather her work with the kind wayfarers and try and effect change for her country from outside the system rather than work within it and be constantly undermined

She isn't changing poo poo from the Kind Wayfarers. She's banished. Her interaction with the Republics is zero and the ending makes that quite clear.

Of course, Kind Wayfarers or not she's an outsider wherever she goes. She finds no companionship in the Brotherhood or the Wayfarers. Another thing the ending makes quite clear. :(

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I forgot what ending slides I got. Is there any way to check them or do I have to beat Thaos again

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dick Burglar posted:

They're pretentious war criminals

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ginette Reno posted:

Spoken like someone who has never used Bittercut with Remember Rakhan Field :colbert:

Always dual wield Bittercuts (after using the mould). With a corrode lash, Remember Rakhan Field and Spirit of Decay, Bleak Walkers can become a monstrous gimmick build.

multijoe posted:

They're pretentious war criminals

I've always thought of them as fantasy nukes. The fact that anyone could hire them reduces the chance of war because of the risk of Bleak Walker induced MAD. (As well as the fact that as soon as anyone fields them, the enemy has a clear reason to surrender without conflict.)

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 12, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

netcat posted:

I forgot what ending slides I got. Is there any way to check them or do I have to beat Thaos again

You could just reference this I suppose.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Endings

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Captain Oblivious posted:

Of course, Kind Wayfarers or not she's an outsider wherever she goes. She finds no companionship in the Brotherhood or the Wayfarers. Another thing the ending makes quite clear. :(
Um actually she finds companionship with me and Eder and Aloth and whoever else I pick up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

If you do Galawain's choice, Pallegina can have the luxury of doing the right thing and being reinstated in the BotFS.

Unsure how well that works out for her in the long term though. I can see a possibility of serious complications.

I'm interested to see where that ending fits into the next game, whether she's already pardoned or not.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

(As well as the fact that as soon as anyone fields them, the enemy has a clear reason to surrender without conflict.)

Isn't their whole thing that once someone fields them it's too late to surrender?

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

She isn't changing poo poo from the Kind Wayfarers. She's banished. Her interaction with the Republics is zero and the ending makes that quite clear.

Well she probably isn't going to try and change poo poo until PoE2 begins. Pillars 2 definitely has you interact with the Vailian Republics and is probably why Pallegina is in the deadfire to begin with. I imagine she'll wanna meddle in the course her country is taking again and I'd be worried getting her to obey her orders in the 1st game causes her to stop trying to smash the state. Don't know how her being pardoned effects her though~

Kind Wayfarers are loners and have no proper organisational structure so at least the no companionship with her order thing isn't too bad :shobon:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Avalerion posted:

Isn't their whole thing that once someone fields them it's too late to surrender?

From the wiki:

quote:

Known for their unyielding, terrible nature, most nobles will only call on them as a last resort. The Bleak Walkers' behavior generally reinforces cruelty and brutality because the quickest resolution is one in which the Bleak Walkers' arrival is announced and a surrender immediately follows. To ensure that people believe that no mercy will ever be given by Bleak Walkers, they avoid any dealings where they could be seen as merciful given the right circumstances. For the Bleak Walkers, there are no right circumstances. Bleak Walkers won't call off an attack even if their "employer" asks them to or turns forces on them.

So, I guess once they're deployed it's too late, but prior to that the enemy can still surrender.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

2house2fly posted:

I think I met that guy in a bar, he had like a billion topics and they were all to do with some level of the metaphysics of the setting's multiverse and I noped the gently caress out

For the record, it's important to exhaust that dude's dialogue so you can get a boost to Wisdom, the most important stat in PS:T.

Basically, if you don't like reading six pages of philosophical text about the nature of reality, PS:T has nothing for you.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Was sure they'd have an expanding illustration for the Fulvano island chain. That was like 80% of the fun of the Endless PAths

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Whereas, if you do, PS:T is pretty much the ultimate distillation.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Was sure they'd have an expanding illustration for the Fulvano island chain. That was like 80% of the fun of the Endless PAths

It has changed. There was no village on the island before the second goal was hit.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Yeah that map rules.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
the ship looks like its sailing towarrds a skull island thru the mist

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Tomorrows Ace posted:

the ship looks like its sailing towarrds a skull island thru the mist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlBa1xyCx_4&t=34s

That's a duck!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

frajaq posted:

Real adventurers dont need that talent to kill all the dragons in the game

:yeah:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I finally finished The Ultimate, just for those sweet Berath's Blessing points. I do not recommend it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hm.

What if I cheat my achievements on Steam...?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

Hm.

shameful...

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Something I was thinking that could be improved in the sequel is how various buffs to the accuracy stat are described and how they work.

For example off the top of my head I can remember the following different kinds of accuracy buffs and they all work completely inconsistently:

General Accuracy: Works with everything
Extra Perception: Works with everything
"Ranged" Accuracy: Works with any ranged attack including spells, excluding AoEs like Sacred Immolation or Dragon Thrashed
"Melee" Accuracy: Works with any melee hit
Distant Advantage (Elven Racial): Works with any ranged attack including spells beyond a 5m radius
Accuracy vs Race : Only works with attacks/spells that allow selection of direct target, and I think the bonus can protrude outward as well to other targets
Marksman: Works with direct ranged weapon attacks against single targets, has weird interaction with blasts
Weapon Focus: Increased accuracy with weapon type, but has weird interaction with certain abilities
Accuracy on Weapon: Works as described usually but again has weird interaction with certain abilities. For example, some abilities with melee characters that use "fake" weapons don't get the weapon accuracy bonus (Clear Out, Torment's Reach I think?).

I know from playing the game for 300+ hours that if I want to increased the accuracy of my Sacred Immolation the only options open to me are increasing general accuracy and perception, but god help somebody not as experienced trying to make sense of the current system based on the current descriptions. They could easily increase ranged accuracy and accuracy vs race thinking it would help them but it wouldn't do poo poo. I'm not even sure if Distant Advantage applies to it or not (I want to say yes?).

The way damage penetration works and the kinds of abilities it applies to are also really confusing. For example, ranged damage penetration from penetrating shot applies to certain spells but not others. With abilities that have AoEs it seems to be completely inconsistent.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Hm.

I seriously doubt the Berath's Blessing mechanic is going to rely on Steam achievements, if only because that wouldn't work at all with the GOG version. More likely, it'll be handled like the bonus perks in Alpha Protocol where the game internally keeps track of your exploits.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

moot the hopple posted:

Gahh, I'm so conflicted on what save state I want to import into POE2 for my companions. I am for sure going to have Mayor Eder and an Aloth who's been dismantling the Leaden Key with Iselmyr in his head on my boat, but I don't know about Kind Wayfarer Pallegina. Having her remain in the brotherhood just feels more right, even though the republics (or at least that chiseling, shortsighted ambassador :argh:) are really unworthy of her.

Guess I have an excuse to do another playthrough :duckie:
I have no post-game save that didn't lead to Sagani committing suicide by blizzard. Luckily, I have three ongoing games.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It sounded like the Berath Blessings mechanic was for PoE 2 saves, not imported PoE 1 saves

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

That is probably the case.

If it isn't, wow. Not that I will ever get The UItimate, but I did get a few other hard-to-get ones.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

CottonWolf posted:

Always dual wield Bittercuts (after using the mould). With a corrode lash, Remember Rakhan Field and Spirit of Decay, Bleak Walkers can become a monstrous gimmick build.

I've always thought of them as fantasy nukes. The fact that anyone could hire them reduces the chance of war because of the risk of Bleak Walker induced MAD. (As well as the fact that as soon as anyone fields them, the enemy has a clear reason to surrender without conflict.)

Yeah I'm doing that right now and planning on molding it. Only problem is I hosed up and put too many enchantments on it. I got it to exceptional but I won't be able to get it to Legendary or Superb. That's not a huge deal honestly because to do either requires components which you don't get until way late in the game. Like yeah it sucks I won't upgrade it further but the Legendary thing you don't get until Wm2 is over and the Superb you only get by going into Act 3 and killing the Sky Dragon.

e: I hope in Poe2 there is a way to remove enchantments from an item. Make it cost a poo poo load of gold or whatever but it sucks to not be able to enchant a weapon because you maxed out on enchantments.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Hm.

You can probably just approximate the "blessings" by cheating your stats via console command anyway

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

evilmiera posted:

That is probably the case.

If it isn't, wow. Not that I will ever get The UItimate, but I did get a few other hard-to-get ones.

They could conceivably award extra points for PoE achievements based on the imported savegame, assuming they can be checked. I doubt they'd lock something behind PoE1 achievements though, that would be extraordinarily dickish.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

For the record, it's important to exhaust that dude's dialogue so you can get a boost to Wisdom, the most important stat in PS:T.

Basically, if you don't like reading six pages of philosophical text about the nature of reality, PS:T has nothing for you.

I think O is the one with the +WIS, but yeah PS:T is all about words

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

They could conceivably award extra points for PoE achievements based on the imported savegame, assuming they can be checked. I doubt they'd lock something behind PoE1 achievements though, that would be extraordinarily dickish.

I'm expecting something minor to be hidden behind importing a PoE1 save, like the space pig carrying over or something, but nothing more than that.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Let me import the fact that I stole a baby

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Baby theft will be appropriately acknowledged.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Gamers ("gamers") ought not support Iron Tower. One bad game can be a fluke but they're 0 for 2 on overdesigned commercial RPGs. Also you need a middle-of-the-pack system to run games that would have looked dated 15 years ago. The Torque engine is indescribably bad.

Also I seem to recall one of the Iron Tower devs having a Nazi for an avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

SunAndSpring posted:

Also I seem to recall one of the Iron Tower devs having a Nazi for an avatar.

Holy poo poo. An avatar, you say?

• Locked thread