Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Reverand maynard posted:

Man, I wonder what opposition research is gonna be like for 2020 on Trump. Can you imagine if the CIA dropped a loving bombshell about Russia?

At that point, no one will care. Trump and all surrogates are gonna cry FAKE NEWS and fire anyone walking sideways on the party line, there will be a higher-than-usual amount of demonstrations in the street and an even higher amount of pseudo-activism on social media, then everything goes back to normal.

"Normal" being the ever-steepening decent into madness we're getting used to at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
This is why I get all my news from buttbart

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I saw newsmax quoted on CNN tonight.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Revealed: FBI terrorism taskforce investigating Standing Rock activists

quote:

The FBI is investigating political activists campaigning against the Dakota Access pipeline, diverting agents charged with preventing terrorist attacks to instead focus their attention on indigenous activists and environmentalists.

The Guardian has established that multiple officers within the FBI’s joint terrorism taskforce have attempted to contact at least three people tied to the Standing Rock “water protector” movement in North Dakota.

The purpose of the officers’ inquiries into Standing Rock, and scope of the task force’s work, remains unknown. Agency officials declined to comment. But the fact that the officers have even tried to communicate with activists is alarming to free-speech experts who argue that anti-terrorism agents have no business scrutinizing protesters.

“The idea that the government would attempt to construe this indigenous-led non-violent movement into some kind of domestic terrorism investigation is unfathomable to me,” said Lauren Regan, a civil rights attorney who has provided legal support to demonstrators who were contacted by representatives of the FBI. “It’s outrageous, it’s unwarranted … and it’s unconstitutional.”

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

maffew buildings posted:

This is why I get all my news from buttbart

You'll be delighted to know that Dr. Chuck Tingle will be on @Midnight with Chris Hardwick this Wednesday. I'm looking forward to learning his opinions on Tromp and other topics that the buckaroos are trotting about.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Mike Flynn has a lot of knives aimed directly at his back right now.

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/830959286033477632

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Here's a non-Trump current event, if you've been following the OSHA thread, you've probably seen the Oroville dam's spillway. More specifically, the problems they had with it after a "small"-ish hole opened in it halfway down.
Here's how it looked several days ago:

Due to continuing rain storms, they were unable to just shut it and fix it comprehensively, so they kept releasing water through it. It eventually got worse.

Much, much worse.
To the point where it's now just eroding the entire mountain side down to the bedrock.

But that's not the problem, it'll erode it down, and then erosion will simply stop. The problem is currently the emergency spillway, pictured on the left here:

It's essentially just an overflow down a regular-earthen mountainside, with a bit of a ravine guiding along the water.
Throughout the last couple of days, officials kept saying it wouldn't need to be used. Then, two days ago, they realized they'd need it, and hastily cleared away the vegetation and attempted to pour fast-setting concrete at the base of the spillway so its foundation wouldn't be eroded.
It eventually overflowed yesterday in what officials called a controlled manner, and everything seemed to be dandy.

Until today:

https://twitter.com/CA_DWR/status/830940227908677633

Whoops.

Note how they started using the term "auxiliary spillway" as opposed to its original name right around the time they realized poo poo may go south. Brilliant marketing. :downs:
Keep in mind that this isn't the dam failing, since there's no danger to the main structure (yet, I guess), but the emergency spillway itself is about 30 feet high, so it failing would release an absolutely stupid amount of water.

A local station is currently broadcasting and they just got a chopper on station:

http://www.kcra.com/nowcast

If you're wondering if this could somehow get worse, they're expecting a considerable wave of storms beginning tomorrow.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:stare:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm watching this stream since it was posted in GBS. FUckign crazy seeing this line of stream of evacuees. Like GO GET THE gently caress OUT. Crazy poo poo to imagine your life being upended like that.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
dudes just working on top of the drat seem ballsy as gently caress man respect to those dudes

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I'm watching this stream since it was posted in GBS. FUckign crazy seeing this line of stream of evacuees. Like GO GET THE gently caress OUT. Crazy poo poo to imagine your life being upended like that.

Trial run for the Mosul Dam.

gently caress it, here's a Donnie thing that drat Near Anyone would have been fired for.

https://twitter.com/pbump/status/830961711431626752

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 13, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

facialimpediment posted:

gently caress it, here's a Donnie thing that drat Near Anyone would have been fired for.

This conversation want on a private email server though so what's the problem????

Apples and oranges.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Oroville isn't even a big Town. gently caress evacuations.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Who needs leaks with a president like this?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wasabi the J posted:

Oroville isn't even a big Town. gently caress evacuations.

They're giving tentative warnings for the next 50 miles or so, too.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Re: dam

Here's what the DWR tweeted earlier today.

https://twitter.com/CA_DWR/status/830898986403762176

:tif:

I know everyone is suddenly turning into an armchair-disaster-expert, but people that knew their poo poo had been trying to raise alarms for a few days now, but DWR just kept running this "Chill the gently caress out, fam" policy, to the point where they were in full pants on fire mode and issued a NOTAM forbidding all drone flight in the area, because they didn't like the broadcast of their completely improvised crisis plan in beautiful HD on the internet.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Press conference:

https://www.periscope.tv/CA_DWR/1yoKMeddkVeKQ

Edit: The periscope feed sucks, use that news feed posted earlier.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
someone posted "The flood will wash all the mexicans away!" but I couldn't hit prt scr fast enough and now the stream is hosed :(

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 13, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:lol:

I saw that too.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
hmm a potentially devastating event, better poo poo out some horrible hate!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

facialimpediment posted:

The best part:

quote:

Trump left the impromptu briefing room without taking questions, having delivered the first emergency foreign policy statement of his presidency,

But even as he confronted one of the gravest matters of his office, Trump nonetheless found it impossible to resist dropping in on a nearby wedding reception, already underway in his treasured Grand Ballroom. Trump designed and built the space himself after purchasing Mar-a-Lago in the 1980s.

Entering the ornate room, Trump took a photo with the bride and her bridesmaids, who posed in red gowns next to the commander in chief, mimicking his signature thumbs-up.

Then he grabbed a microphone.

"I saw them out on the lawn today," Trump said of the bride and groom, who were standing nearby. "I said to the Prime Minister of Japan, I said, 'C'mon Shinzo, let's go over and say hello.' "

"They've been members of this club for a long time," Trump said of the newlyweds. "They've paid me a fortune."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FrozenVent posted:

The best part:

Eat the rich.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Dam poo poo. Saw the piece CBS ran last week sometime, paid no mind to it since then. Found a live stream and I'm watching some local channel stammer through it.

:popcorn:

I could have sworn there was an emote of a smiley eating popcorn.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 13, 2017

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Grammys are a current event:

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/830966357277732864

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Troop's

edit: Brother's

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Whoa look at Alexander Scott Key in his stunning Armani suit, walking down the red carpet. He's a strong contender for "best songwriter 2017!!!!!"

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Whoa look at Alexander Scott Key in his stunning Armani suit, walking down the red carpet. He's a strong contender for "best songwriter 2017!!!!!"

who is that

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

lighten up Francis.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Jsesus I dont know why I typed Alexander I even double checked :(

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Grammys are a current event:

https://twitter.com/lizzieohreally/status/830970107933372416

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Sometimes We have to fall, hct

:sympathy:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
tbh I need to bump my drinking thread about 3-4 times

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

trump golfed while dams burst

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Dam poo poo. Saw the piece CBS ran last week sometime, paid no mind to it since then. Found a live stream and I'm watching some local channel stammer through it.

:golfclap:

Two Finger posted:

trump golfed while dams burst

:golf:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

: munch : :munch:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Okay bets on if Flynn makes it till Friday

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Smiling Jack posted:

Okay bets on if Flynn makes it till Friday

Trump's gonna have to start scapegoating soon. It's him or Spicer, I think.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Trump's gonna have to start scapegoating soon. It's him or Spicer, I think.

My bets are on Priebus, but Spicer's a good second.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

FastestGunAlive posted:

Do we know those Russians were US assets? Could it just be some cleaning house, with the blame placed else where? Not really in the loop on this so excuse me

I said this when the story first broke, but I'm not convinced those guys were actually U.S. assents. Busting them as soon as you found out would be some CI end zone dancing of the highest order; a competent intel agency would want to find out who their handlers were, how they were communicating, etc, etc. and maybe insulate them and start feeding bad intel or get them to turn double instead of outing them. For the Russians, having people convinced that they can roll up U.S. assets is almost as good as actually being able to do it. I'd guess that these were some guys who pissed off Vladimir somewhere along the line, and the FSB decided to wring some extra benefit by manipulating the reasons and timing for their purge, hoping it would convince actual U.S. assets to start looking for the exits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Office Pig posted:

My bets are on Priebus

Same, Trump strung him along to get the rest of the GOP in step but he's getting in the way now

• Locked thread