Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

No Wave posted:

Edited my post a bit, it's dependent on how you expect to win (pteridax echo vs stall outvalue)

Didn't matter, got completely blown out every game by draws alone, went 0-3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Feln'd it to 7-2 after some lovely drafts recently:

My call in Magic limited has generally been that if something costs 7, it better do a thing the moment it hits the battlefield, and if it costs eight it might be unplayable unless the deck is capable of getting to that point, even if it would do a thing. Eternal feels faster than your average Magic draft format honestly, and though Snowcrush Animist will certainly Do A Thing once you play it, all the draft eight mana felt so far away on a deck that isn't really leaning on control side, that it feels it feels even a questionable inclusion. Maybe one game where drawing it might have kept me alive two turns more but still not won the game.

Jarrall's Frostkin still feels one of the most impactful primal commons in any kind of deck that can sport reasonable curve. Impending Doom, just so massive for the cost.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Deofuta posted:

Take a look at this pile that was taken to masters this season:

It was posted in discord and after playing with it for an evening, I've found it to be quite fun and interesting without any legendaries. The games I lost were close (as most are I expect when running a tempo strategy), and very interactive. Sabotage is a hell of a card.

As someone brand new to the game, playing a budget aggro/tempo deck sounds ideal and this looks pretty solid. I'll keep it in mind as something to work toward.

Does Shadow/Primal also have the ability to play a similar style? I would guess so, since Primal seems focused on fliers as well, along with stuns to control the board. I've seen that Haunt decks are a thing, but don't have a good idea of what they play like.

Speaking of stuns, Permafrost in particular seems very strong - I know 1:1 comparisons don't always work, but it's a 1-cost card that mimics an effect that typically costs 3 in MtG. Is it more common to have attachment removal in Eternal, or just not as powerful an effect in this game for some reason? Silence doesn't remove it, right?

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008
Apologies if this has been asked before (couldn't find anything through search):

What makes a deck "qualify" as a given color? If I have a quest to win 5 games with Primal, but don't want to play a Primal deck, can I put 1 Primal Sigil/1 Primal Spell into one of my existing decks for it to count?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
(to permafrost q guy)

Silence does, as do effects that give creatures endurance (only one of those, deepforged plate, sees play afaict)

It's probably primal's best card by a good margin though, the only downside to it is that the two most commonly-played minions in the game (titan and enforcer) are immune to/remove it respectively

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

ImsaKidd posted:

Apologies if this has been asked before (couldn't find anything through search):

What makes a deck "qualify" as a given color? If I have a quest to win 5 games with Primal, but don't want to play a Primal deck, can I put 1 Primal Sigil/1 Primal Spell into one of my existing decks for it to count?

I can't remember how much of a deck needs to be of a specific faction to qualify, but your strategy wouldn't work.

Nibble posted:

Is it more common to have attachment removal in Eternal, or just not as powerful an effect in this game for some reason? Silence doesn't remove it, right?

As already stated, silence removes it.

But attachment removal is super, super rare in Eternal. And good attachment removal is even less common.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Hey hot poo poo drafters, do you default to 18 power or 17? This is a point of contention for some people, it seems.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

17 usually but I draft a lot of cycle like levitate, inspire, and dispel

If I have a blue yellow or purple monument I go 18

Hauki
May 11, 2010

welp got blown out by 4 consecutive protects in constructed, the first one I was expecting, the next 3 not so much

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

ShaneB posted:

Hey hot poo poo drafters, do you default to 18 power or 17? This is a point of contention for some people, it seems.

17-18 sources depending on the rest, unless the curve is super low.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Second 7-X in a row, feeling like I'm getting this stuff. Made diamond during this run, which feels validating. Feln control worked great. I could get out to an aggressive start with the birds and other units and then ride all my removal into the mid and late game. Champion did some work, as he absorbed flood just fine and pumped my units into oblivion.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Lunsku posted:

Impending Doom, just so massive for the cost.

When I first saw this guy my thoughts were "this critter is a monocolor moroii that's 1/1 bigger and drains EOT"

Moroii was always a house in limited so I take doom almost every time it shows up

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 11, 2017

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
finally decided to turn some of my trash rares and legends from raredrafting into a playable deck. decided to go with one of the stonescar burn queen decks that are all the rage these days. fun to blow people up in like two minutes over and over!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Impending Doom isn't my favorite designed card tbh. The effect is so minor, card would be more fun at 2 damage per turn or just don't even bother.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

inSTAALed posted:

finally decided to turn some of my trash rares and legends from raredrafting into a playable deck. decided to go with one of the stonescar burn queen decks that are all the rage these days. fun to blow people up in like two minutes over and over!

Yeah buddy! Trash em.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Feln control feels good right now, running the new 2 mana 1/3 aegis really helps in the early game. hopefully more control orientated cards next week.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Spoiled card: Shadowlands Feaster, 7 mana (2 shadow) 5/6 flying ambush, when an enemy unit dies it goes to your void.

So top 8 for ETS was: FJS armory, FJP armory, big combrei, 3x stonescar burn, stonescar aggro, stonescar midrange.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

and finals are stonescar burn vs. stonescar aggro :geno:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Borderlands Waykeeper shits so hard on so much of the meta, I don't think I played a game tonight where I dropped her on 2 and went on to lose.

Every single red deck snap keeps 1-drop + torch and it just blanks their entire plan.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
My 'deal direct damage' fire deck is doing better than I expected (ie I win sometimes), but I'd be happy to get help on what cards to work towards to improve it. Here's what I have at the moment

2 Charchain Flail (Set1 #3)
3 Flame Blast (Set1 #2)
4 Grenadin Drone (Set1 #5)
4 Temper (Set1 #10)
4 Ticking Grenadin (Set1 #12)
4 Torch (Set1 #8)
4 Kaleb's Favor (Set0 #3)
4 Piercing Shot (Set1 #25)
3 Assembly Line (Set1 #29)
4 Outlands Sniper (Set1 #42)
4 Recogulator (Set1 #37)
3 Calderan Gunsmith (Set1 #46)
4 Flash Fire (Set0 #6)
1 Obliterate (Set1 #48)
2 Hellfire Rifle (Set1 #55)
25 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)

e: changed 4 Tempers to 3 Forge Wolves and Jito

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 12, 2017

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Here's a question for the drafters: How highly do you rate Hunting Pteriax? Cause I feel like I might be overrating it a little bit. I just had an Elysian draft with two and I wasn't as impressed as I expected. Like, it's role is kinda narrow. You either ambush it out when you can push next turn or hold it to block a flier. And more often than not it'll die during the block or eats a removal spell next turn which makes it a costly trade for you. A good player will also expect you to have it when you just leave 5 mana up so it's a lot less surprising than smaller ambush cards. Dunno, it just felt a little too clunky to me to really give it an awesome rating cause its effectiveness depends on a lot of different factors

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Tin Tim posted:

Here's a question for the drafters: How highly do you rate Hunting Pteriax? Cause I feel like I might be overrating it a little bit. I just had an Elysian draft with two and I wasn't as impressed as I expected. Like, it's role is kinda narrow. You either ambush it out when you can push next turn or hold it to block a flier. And more often than not it'll die during the block or eats a removal spell next turn which makes it a costly trade for you. A good player will also expect you to have it when you just leave 5 mana up so it's a lot less surprising than smaller ambush cards. Dunno, it just felt a little too clunky to me to really give it an awesome rating cause its effectiveness depends on a lot of different factors

It's a 5 power flier for 5. It is not intended to ambush block something. Ambush does let you drop it at the end of their turn, to dodge a turn of slow removal, giving you 5 damage you might not have gotten otherwise. Blocking is not the intended purpose of a 5/x flier. I mean, you can, but flying in general makes cards more expensive for the stats you get(barring certain absurd Justice low drops and Impending Doom), so trading them is often inefficient.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's not an insane bomb like Crystallize or a card like Crystalline Chalice which makes you try to force Elysian but it's almost always the card you'll pick from the pack it's in if you're playing Elysian already. The only commons/uncommons in those colors I'd consider picking over it for most drafts are Scorpion Wasp, Sauropod, Pillar of Amar, Permafrost, and Lightning Storm (some people might say False Prince).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 12, 2017

dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012
Does anyone else get disappointed by how many games devolve into topdeck wars? It seems to be what happens for both sides in the vast majority of the games I play that aren't one-sided stomps and just leads to a lot less decision-making and a lot more praying not to draw sigils.

For the record, I've never played another game with this sort of mana system like MTG. Is Magic as top-decky as this game? For a while I've felt like the game would be improved if they added 1 card to the starting hands and generally just had more viable options for drawing cards.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Just played Tin Tim in draft! I wish our game was better. :(

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

It's a 5 power flier for 5. It is not intended to ambush block something.
I guess I could have been clearer but I meant that you do that when your opponent already played a flying threat that you can't answer otherwise. Sure it's not unreasonable to expect to eat a Hatchling or whatever at times but the primary use of the card is indeed offense. It's very pickable despite being kinda brittle but as No Wave said I feel it's nothing amazing after my draft today and was just curious

Speaking of drafts, I got a real nice 7-1 Rakano today

One loss due to power screw but the rest were mostly going in my favor I mean look at that fuckin deck

Oh and there's also this :prepop:

I could have slammed into master on the back of a double 7 but SOMEBODY destroyed me at 6-2 in the run before

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
How does the orthodox 25-power Combrei aggro deck consistently get to double Time on turn two for the Temple Scribes? I've been playing my own version without them and with 27 lands, and sometimes I can't even get double Time quickly enough to get a Sandstorm Titan out on time.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

First perfect run. Deck just ran perfectly. No complaints. Would draft again.

Edit: I actually dumped the temple scribe for an 8th justice sigil.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

FractalSandwich posted:

How does the orthodox 25-power Combrei aggro deck consistently get to double Time on turn two for the Temple Scribes? I've been playing my own version without them and with 27 lands, and sometimes I can't even get double Time quickly enough to get a Sandstorm Titan out on time.

Because it's too greedy and wrong. Many top-level deckbuilders are realizing they need/should run way more power than they do. A lot of people are running like 29 power even in more aggressive decks like Stonescar Burn and Combrei Aggro, with like 1-2 monuments.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

New Jekk spoiler

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Since I can't seem to find decent budget netdecks, I'm trying my hand and crafting for constructed.

Advice?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Turtlicious posted:

Since I can't seem to find decent budget netdecks, I'm trying my hand and crafting for constructed.

Advice?

Go two colors. Going single influence doesn't gain you much consistency and will as a general rule demand more rares and legendaries to be effective as your pool of good cards is less than half of what a two influence deck could run.

Agreeable Badger
Aug 8, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Advice?

Here's a link to a deck submission site, where you can search based on certain criteria. There are a lot of budget builds submitted that are pretty quick to build towards, so if you haven't been to this site before, it could be helpful. http://www.eternaldecks.cards/tournament/1G7vVoLXO8Ouacgokoyq0o

As to advice on what you put together, right now in this game mono-colored decks are significantly weaker than dual colored decks. There are some mono-red and mono-time decks that people play, but generally you get way more out of having a second color. Equipment cards can be good in certain circumstances, but they typically need to synergize well with your creatures or your deck's ultimate goal. The creatures that you're playing don't really gain anything extra from deadly or quickdraw, so the weapons aren't going to do much work. Relic Weapons also typically either require synergy with the deck, or they need to be very powerful individually and answer common threats on their own. The lifedrinker MAY kill one of your opponents creatures, if they have a 2 health minion, but that won't happen until turn 3, and that's the best case scenario. So it's a slow answer to a weak threat that doesn't do much else, besides give you a bit of health returned. Late game bombs that are good typically need to do something before your opponent has a chance to remove them, OR they need to be exceptionally powerful on their own, and be worth the risk of investing a large amount of power and being countered by a removal spell that costs less power. Soul Collector will die if it gets breathed on before it's effect kicks in, and it will be very rare that your opponent let's a Soul Collector go off unchecked. Argenport Ringmaster is almost as greedy. A 5/5 for 6 isn't terrible, and his effect is conditionally gamewinning, but this deck doesn't really have a way to protect him or ensure his infiltrate connects when he attacks. Deathstrikes are great as they are unconditional removal, and most black decks will play these. Plagues are a very conditional removal spell. Against hyper-aggressive decks, this single card will win you a game, but against control decks it is pretty useless. Devour can be strong in certain decks that REALLY emphasize deck synergy, but in this deck the only real devour target is slumbering stone, and that's not a very powerful combo on it's own. Execute as a removal spell is weak because it allows their threats to act before you can answer them, but it is playable before you get some of the other removal spells like annihilate and suffocate. Dark return is a strong card, but it doesn't have many good targets in this deck. Direfang spider can be a good card to ward off aggression from midrange decks, but it's very vulnerable to pretty much any type of removal. One good common creature to consider in black is Lethrai Ranger. She's only a 2/2 for 2, but if she infiltrates she becomes a 4/4, which is pretty strong. Your opponent will do everything they can to stop her from infiltrating though. Rapid shot is also a really strong card, as it allows you to attack into big threats and punish your opponent if they try to play around it.

If you like the idea of playing black, I'd suggest splashing either red or blue in addition to it, since those are the two allied colors. Multifaction cards are typically more powerful than mono color cards for their cost.

Agreeable Badger fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 13, 2017

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
So I've been having a really bad time with draft since I hit diamond, not gone above 3 wins in my last 5 drafts and mostly im getting crushed at 0 or 1. So i think rather than luck I'm missing something fundamental to let me continue playing at a decent level.

Just drafted what I think is a pretty solid combrei deck, I'm trying to decide if it's worth splashing the blue for the extra removal and powerful flyers and I have no idea what I'd cut if I did.

My gut says that my fixing isn't good enough to splash and I should just go for a decent combrei build.

Here's the pile of cards that "could" go into the deck, be interested to see what you guys think:

so a combrei build would look something like:

Stangg fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 13, 2017

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
You don't have enough support for blue with your white costs. I like the second deck but it's curve is a little too high, I'd do something like:
-1 Ceremonial Mask
-1 Dormant Sentinel
+1 Bold Adventurer
+1 Amber Acolyte?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agreeable Badger posted:

Here's a link to a deck submission site, where you can search based on certain criteria. There are a lot of budget builds submitted that are pretty quick to build towards, so if you haven't been to this site before, it could be helpful. http://www.eternaldecks.cards/tournament/1G7vVoLXO8Ouacgokoyq0o

As to advice on what you put together, right now in this game mono-colored decks are significantly weaker than dual colored decks. There are some mono-red and mono-time decks that people play, but generally you get way more out of having a second color. Equipment cards can be good in certain circumstances, but they typically need to synergize well with your creatures or your deck's ultimate goal. The creatures that you're playing don't really gain anything extra from deadly or quickdraw, so the weapons aren't going to do much work. Relic Weapons also typically either require synergy with the deck, or they need to be very powerful individually and answer common threats on their own. The lifedrinker MAY kill one of your opponents creatures, if they have a 2 health minion, but that won't happen until turn 3, and that's the best case scenario. So it's a slow answer to a weak threat that doesn't do much else, besides give you a bit of health returned. Late game bombs that are good typically need to do something before your opponent has a chance to remove them, OR they need to be exceptionally powerful on their own, and be worth the risk of investing a large amount of power and being countered by a removal spell that costs less power. Soul Collector will die if it gets breathed on before it's effect kicks in, and it will be very rare that your opponent let's a Soul Collector go off unchecked. Argenport Ringmaster is almost as greedy. A 5/5 for 6 isn't terrible, and his effect is conditionally gamewinning, but this deck doesn't really have a way to protect him or ensure his infiltrate connects when he attacks. Deathstrikes are great as they are unconditional removal, and most black decks will play these. Plagues are a very conditional removal spell. Against hyper-aggressive decks, this single card will win you a game, but against control decks it is pretty useless. Devour can be strong in certain decks that REALLY emphasize deck synergy, but in this deck the only real devour target is slumbering stone, and that's not a very powerful combo on it's own. Execute as a removal spell is weak because it allows their threats to act before you can answer them, but it is playable before you get some of the other removal spells like annihilate and suffocate. Dark return is a strong card, but it doesn't have many good targets in this deck. Direfang spider can be a good card to ward off aggression from midrange decks, but it's very vulnerable to pretty much any type of removal. One good common creature to consider in black is Lethrai Ranger. She's only a 2/2 for 2, but if she infiltrates she becomes a 4/4, which is pretty strong. Your opponent will do everything they can to stop her from infiltrating though. Rapid shot is also a really strong card, as it allows you to attack into big threats and punish your opponent if they try to play around it.

If you like the idea of playing black, I'd suggest splashing either red or blue in addition to it, since those are the two allied colors. Multifaction cards are typically more powerful than mono color cards for their cost.

I really want to build around Argentport Ringmaster and the Card that brings back units from the void, Idk what I'm looking for on Eternal, but I'm ok with splashing whatever, as long as I'm working around the win condition "back from the void" type stuff.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

muon posted:

You don't have enough support for blue with your white costs. I like the second deck but it's curve is a little too high, I'd do something like:
-1 Ceremonial Mask
-1 Dormant Sentinel
+1 Bold Adventurer
+1 Amber Acolyte?

Yeah that makes sense, I've not been greatly sold on the mask before but I figured it was useful as an extra flyer removal when I need to protect myself. It will probably just end up stuck in my hand early on though while I lose the game and I have an ok removal package.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

I really want to build around Argentport Ringmaster and the Card that brings back units from the void, Idk what I'm looking for on Eternal, but I'm ok with splashing whatever, as long as I'm working around the win condition "back from the void" type stuff.

Shadow/Primal seems to be more or less the standard void shenanigans colour pair, mostly working on two-colour uncommons Haunting Scream and Gorgon Infiltrator, with high impact infiltrate cards like rare Direwood Beastcaller from shadow. You can craft a decent and fun deck on those colours without too big a cost.

Shadow/Time offers another fun option, but it's definitely more dust intensive to build. It's more about recurring rare time cards Ephemeral Wisp and Dawnwalker from the void while boosting them with uncommon Xenan Cultist every time they die, maybe also bringing back the rare Copper Conduit from void as it retains the previous +x/+x boost it had, or reusing Killer ability on some time cards.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Scourge of Frostbourne good in a Black / Blue deck? I just got him from a draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

ShaneB posted:

First perfect run. Deck just ran perfectly. No complaints. Would draft again.

Edit: I actually dumped the temple scribe for an 8th justice sigil.

Is that the deck I lost to? drat

Hauki posted:

New Jekk spoiler

I'm sure there is some kind of combo this could find but right now my reaction is meh

Stangg posted:

Yeah that makes sense, I've not been greatly sold on the mask before but I figured it was useful as an extra flyer removal when I need to protect myself. It will probably just end up stuck in my hand early on though while I lose the game and I have an ok removal package.
Deffo ditch the Sentinel and get the Adventurer in. Cutting the Mask is somewhat close but I would lean towards getting rid of it for something smaller like the Acolyte. You can get away with running the Mask on top of your other fat things imo but pushing the curve down a notch is safer. Oh, and seeing a difficulty spike after you reached diamon is normal. Happened to me and other folks itt too