Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This last FH beta turned me around on it. Wasn't going to get it, now pre-ordered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Bombadilillo posted:

A component and potentially deep 1v1 combat system shoved in a moba shell. Its not a good game.

Play the not moba modes. They're fun. We did a lot of 4v4 and had lots of fun moments.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drat a song by Amon Tobin came on one of my play lists today and it reminded me of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, which is one of my favourite games ever and developed by UBISOFT(?!). What the hell happened to those guys? I remember double agent being a buggy mess and then conviction (?) had the cool co op. Where's the current gen splinter cell at? Some of the stealth parts of Phantom Pain and Hitman had me craving a new release.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Quantum of Phallus posted:

drat a song by Amon Tobin came on one of my play lists today and it reminded me of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, which is one of my favourite games ever and developed by UBISOFT(?!). What the hell happened to those guys? I remember double agent being a buggy mess and then conviction (?) had the cool co op. Where's the current gen splinter cell at? Some of the stealth parts of Phantom Pain and Hitman had me craving a new release.

Check out Blacklist.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

man nurse posted:

Check out Blacklist.

No Michael Ironside 😳
I'm assuming blacklist is PS3 only?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Somewhere along they stopped making games with any sort of focus in favor of total accessibility. Early Splinter cell was awesome though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'd have to look up which of the Splinter Cell games I played but it was indeed awesome. Hanging from pipes as you waited to drop down on guards below felt like Batman before the Arkham games (and really the Predator stealth stuff in the Arkham games is kind of ridiculous anyway, with so much of it relying on gargoyles and vents).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Holy poo poo, that brings back so many memories. I got the steelbook version of Chaos Theory and everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVAWi6K0JzY
The asymmetrical multiplayer in Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory is still one of my favorite online game modes of all time

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

No Michael Ironside 😳
I'm assuming blacklist is PS3 only?

Yeah, but it's actually really good. Think the good parts of conviction mixed with chaos theory. Give it a try sometime, I'll bet it'll scratch that itch nice.

man nurse fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 13, 2017

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

A component and potentially deep 1v1 combat system shoved in a moba shell. Its not a good game.

2v2 was whoever wins their paired off duel first.
Moba is a moba. Maybe you like moba's?

1v1 not gonna sustain any repeatability. It felt tacked on. Like its where you learn how to play without worrying about getting stabbed in the back. So you can play the fun modes where you can be doing well with your verbset built around 1 on 1 battles...then get stabbed in the back.

I've never seen the mechanics of a game so at odds with the gameplay you are supposed to engage in with those mechanics.

I think your take is a bit disingenuous, I don't know what the gently caress a moba is but For Honor is a decent game with an excellent deep combat system.

The game is built around 1v1 combat, it is not tacked on whatsoever, you can play 1v1 duels all day if you want to and again the system is deep enough that it provides for many options, tactics etc. It would take a while to master each character, who are each quite different, and overall the system provides for excellent duels if you know what you are doing.

the 4v4 and modes of which there are several are fun too and the combat functions in a slightly different way in those modes, some of the more advanced tactics are potentially overlooked in the chaos but it boils down to 1v1 combat just in a different arena with different objectives, and yes you might end up in a 1v2 situation, there are ways to deal with that. There is the additional element of a battle "front" with AI drones in one of the modes which adds a different layer of gameplay to that mode which requires a different strategy. And yes you might get stabbed in the back if you do not watch your back, situational awareness comes into play. And mostly that's not instant death either. You always have a fighting chance in most situations

So really i can understand some people not getting into it but when it clicks the game is very satisfying and rewarding and personally i think I will be playing and enjoying many hours of it. I'd encourage people to give it a try and if you do, give yourselves a chance to spend a bit of effort to learn the combat system before you write it off, it is a game which you need to invest a little bit into the gameplay mechanics before it will click. In conclusion, it's a good game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

For Honor's combat system felt way too artificial to me. I don't think it was bad but I didn't enjoy it at all. I get what it was going for but it felt unnatural without that unnatural element feeling more fun to me. It just made me want to play different games instead. I'm glad people enjoy it but I can't imagine playing it if it was F2P, let alone $60.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Wandle Cax posted:

I think your take is a bit disingenuous, I don't know what the gently caress a moba is but For Honor is a decent game with an excellent deep combat system.

The game is built around 1v1 combat, it is not tacked on whatsoever, you can play 1v1 duels all day if you want to and again the system is deep enough that it provides for many options, tactics etc. It would take a while to master each character, who are each quite different, and overall the system provides for excellent duels if you know what you are doing.

the 4v4 and modes of which there are several are fun too and the combat functions in a slightly different way in those modes, some of the more advanced tactics are potentially overlooked in the chaos but it boils down to 1v1 combat just in a different arena with different objectives, and yes you might end up in a 1v2 situation, there are ways to deal with that. There is the additional element of a battle "front" with AI drones in one of the modes which adds a different layer of gameplay to that mode which requires a different strategy. And yes you might get stabbed in the back if you do not watch your back, situational awareness comes into play. And mostly that's not instant death either. You always have a fighting chance in most situations

So really i can understand some people not getting into it but when it clicks the game is very satisfying and rewarding and personally i think I will be playing and enjoying many hours of it. I'd encourage people to give it a try and if you do, give yourselves a chance to spend a bit of effort to learn the combat system before you write it off, it is a game which you need to invest a little bit into the gameplay mechanics before it will click. In conclusion, it's a good game.

Still feels like 1v1 and other modes are "hope you only run into 1v1 situations". They built a fun 1v1 system and went. Welp how can we make a game out of this?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Seeing for honor just makes me want to play Mount & Blade. I'm not really dying for a competitive multiplayer environment ala Chilvary, just either a decent single player story or a sandbox. And I don't think the campaign here really warrants the $60 launch price, but reviews may prove otherwise. Either way, If I only want it for single player then I can wait.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

How's the season pass?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

How's the season pass?

Entirely superfluous and optional the main thing is unlocking new characters easier and earlier. The base game is the whole game and includes all DLC

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

For Honor is the kind of game you buy when it's $20, maybe $30, and play for a couple weeks

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Wandle Cax posted:

Entirely superfluous and optional the main thing is unlocking new characters easier and earlier. The base game is the whole game and includes all DLC

fingers crossed this becomes the default for all games

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

4 honor is bad. enjoy at own risk of lameness and frechiosity

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't speak to the actual gameplay in FH because I missed the beta, but the thing that strikes me about it, is that I cannot see how they could make a MP/bots only game like that, that would be worth a full price buy. granted there might be more to it than I am aware of, but it sounds like the whole thing should be a secondary mode to a more full featured game.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

For Honor is the kind of game you buy when it's $20, maybe $30, and play for a couple weeks

Hopefully there will still be players by then.

For whatever reason I find that my most regrettable purchases have been multiplayer games that friends/goons recommend I buy to play with them. I buy them, not have fun alone and never get the chance to play with them for whatever reason.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also is there any way to stop the auto-renewal through the web browser's interface or does it have to be from the PS4 itself? That account isn't even set up on the PS4 anymore.

I believe it's under Account Settings > Wallet

Is this it? I should set it to no...

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I can't speak to the actual gameplay in FH because I missed the beta, but the thing that strikes me about it, is that I cannot see how they could make a MP/bots only game like that, that would be worth a full price buy. granted there might be more to it than I am aware of, but it sounds like the whole thing should be a secondary mode to a more full featured game.

Fair enough it's expensive but how is it different to any shooting game which is multiplayer focused? It's got plenty of modes and characters and maps and what not and if you enjoy it there will be plenty of longevity at least that's how I feel after playing the beta. There is a single player campaign too if anyone cares

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Playing the actual 4v4 mode it felt like it all boiled down to who can double team the most. The moba-style gameplay almost requires that buildup period where you learn to coordinate as a team even if you're just randos, so without that and just having random teams thrown into the muck, welp

The 1v1 mode would probably have the most depth but that's definitely not the thing they are pushing

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ularg posted:

For whatever reason I find that my most regrettable purchases have been multiplayer games that friends/goons recommend I buy to play with them. I buy them, not have fun alone and never get the chance to play with them for whatever reason.

Goons usually don't disappoint for me, but my irl friends mostly have garbage taste in games and try to hard sell me on stuff like Evolve and Battleborne. The ones that actually buy decent games are never online at the same time as me.

Wandle Cax posted:

Fair enough it's expensive but how is it different to any shooting game which is multiplayer focused? It's got plenty of modes and characters and maps and what not and if you enjoy it there will be plenty of longevity at least that's how I feel after playing the beta. There is a single player campaign too if anyone cares

It's not different. I don't think those games are worth $60 either. Like, If I really like an MP only game and play it a lot I guess it's worth the money but that's a pretty hard sell, especially in a genre that usually has robust single player content.

Also, I don't consider bot matches a proper campaign personally.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 13, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ularg posted:

Same except Titanfall 2

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the 4 honor intro cutscene where three men fight over a puddle of water for 1000 years is one of the most embarrassing self serious things i've seen in a game.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Playing the actual 4v4 mode it felt like it all boiled down to who can double team the most. The moba-style gameplay almost requires that buildup period where you learn to coordinate as a team even if you're just randos, so without that and just having random teams thrown into the muck, welp

The 1v1 mode would probably have the most depth but that's definitely not the thing they are pushing

Yeah 4v4 dominion would work best if everyone knew their roles in the game, it's not just ganging up on a 2 on 1 tho - essentially there are 3 roles, One the "Vanguards" who are geared towards holding off the AI grunts and controlling the "front" area, The Heavies who should guard the 2 capture points, which boosts the points gained, and the Assassins who try to take back or at least contest the 2 capture points from the other team. Each of these tasks earns more points for those respective classes so you can level up and use special abilities. It's quite fun when the points are swinging back and forth between the two teams and often a team can come back from a precarious position

veni veni veni posted:

Also, I don't consider bot matches a proper campaign personally.

It's not just bot matches, there is a proper campaign. Probably not going to be the longest game but still

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Are there loot boxes?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I bought Vermintide because of this thread in like the 3 day span I felt sociable and still havent played it. RIP $18 or whatever it was

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah 4v4 dominion would work best if everyone knew their roles in the game, it's not just ganging up on a 2 on 1 tho - essentially there are 3 roles, One the "Vanguards" who are geared towards holding off the AI grunts and controlling the "front" area, The Heavies who should guard the 2 capture points, which boosts the points gained, and the Assassins who try to take back or at least contest the 2 capture points from the other team. Each of these tasks earns more points for those respective classes so you can level up and use special abilities. It's quite fun when the points are swinging back and forth between the two teams and often a team can come back from a precarious position

It's not just bot matches, there is a proper campaign. Probably not going to be the longest game but still

20 mins is too long for a match imo.
the campaign will be proper...trash

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Are there loot boxes?

it looks to be set up exactly like R6 seige so expect a jillion dlc's you could earn through play if you want

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I bought Vermintide because of this thread in like the 3 day span I felt sociable and still havent played it. RIP $18 or whatever it was

we beat it but don't worry you didn't miss much except a lot of frustration at the end

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 13, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its probably a fine game i'm just having some fun.

buy nioh and yakuza before you pay ubisoft any money again or you are a bad gamer.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yakuza 0 is on my list but i'd probably spend most of my time playing the classic sega arcade games

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

you earn level up points for entertaining majima and kiryu so thats good

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Real hurthling! posted:

we beat it but don't worry you didn't miss much except a lot of frustration at the end

whats the new multiplayer hotness for when I feel like plugging a mic back in

edit: other than nioh of course

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Same except Titanfall 2

This had an amazing single player campaign though

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I really liked For Honor but after the last few Ubi games I feel pretty confident in saying that For More Honor will be a great game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

whats the new multiplayer hotness for when I feel like plugging a mic back in

edit: other than nioh of course

Titanfall 2 is still what we are playing these days. Hopefully it doesn't die.

We did end up playing vermintide but I don't think I saw you on after that first night. it was allright but the magic wore off quickly. I'll play it again if you ever feel inclined to give it a whirl.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm terrible because the only time I feel like playing with other people is well after I'm too drunk to play with other people. Maybe I'll fire up some TF2 though that was fun but poo poo I always feel like I'm dragging everyone down.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

For Honor dominion is no more moba than bf conquest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Real hurthling! posted:

That last mission was so frustrating and the dumb maze extra mission made me never want to play that game again. I guess the people who made it were pretty intent on taking their fun gameplay and premise and building the worst possible levels around it.