Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Do you get some free loot boxes with the season pass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I know I'm buying Nioh, but I'm also eyeing FF15. Don't know why exactly, I want to like Final Fantasy, and the road trip open world seems like an interesting concept in itself as well.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Do you get some free loot boxes with the season pass?

Yes

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I'm terrible because the only time I feel like playing with other people is well after I'm too drunk to play with other people. Maybe I'll fire up some TF2 though that was fun but poo poo I always feel like I'm dragging everyone down.

The last time played with you, you had the highest kill number I think I've ever seen in the game. You were doing fine.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Awesome value!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Quantum of Phallus posted:

drat a song by Amon Tobin came on one of my play lists today and it reminded me of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, which is one of my favourite games ever and developed by UBISOFT(?!). What the hell happened to those guys? I remember double agent being a buggy mess and then conviction (?) had the cool co op. Where's the current gen splinter cell at? Some of the stealth parts of Phantom Pain and Hitman had me craving a new release.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Holy poo poo, that brings back so many memories. I got the steelbook version of Chaos Theory and everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVAWi6K0JzY
The asymmetrical multiplayer in Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory is still one of my favorite online game modes of all time

This is the hypemost trailer I was into at the time. The Pandora Tomorrow multi was an incredible experience at the time, especially since my only reference point on the PS2 was Socom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brTXBYRHbi4

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Canadian posted:

Its a fantastic 1v1 game with a 4v4 mode for casuals. Its a great game.

Its an ok game, worth wasting an hour of your time to see it clicks with you but lets not get hypebolic and pretend its a loving masterpiece now. No one is going to be playing it in 3 months.

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 13, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Goons really really like the word hyperbole

I remember in old GBS every other post had the drat word

Wonder if goons even know how to pronounce it :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KYmdT-9t9Y

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Pretty sure it's pronounced hyperbole.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

FYI it does not rhyme with Diaper-Troll.

edit; even though most goons fit that description

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 13, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This is the hypemost trailer I was into at the time. The Pandora Tomorrow multi was an incredible experience at the time, especially since my only reference point on the PS2 was Socom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brTXBYRHbi4

Multiplayer was lit. Everyone in college at the time was playing Halo 2 but Pandora Tomorrow was the game my crew rolled in. I loved little touches like if you grabbed an enemy, you could speak into their voice channel and freak out their teammate. Also confusing mercs with noisemakers and then gassing them with traps was way beyond anything I had done in multiplayer shooters

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Hippie-Bowel?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Multiplayer was lit. Everyone in college at the time was playing Halo 2 but Pandora Tomorrow was the game my crew rolled in. I loved little touches like if you grabbed an enemy, you could speak into their voice channel and freak out their teammate. Also confusing mercs with noisemakers and then gassing them with traps was way beyond anything I had done in multiplayer shooters

I am totally with you. The game just blew my mind at the time. I don't think I've ever played a better version of cat and mouse.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ularg posted:

Hippie-Bowel?

No like the Sigur Ros song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnAwPeqrdAk

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Ok I'm on about chapter 6 now of Yakuza 0. The Majima chapters really got their teeth in me, I find his combat styles real fun and enjoy his story more than Kiryu's so far.

However after returning to Kiryu I'm struggling. I really don't get his combat. I feel like I'm just stunlocked all the time, can't really build heat or pull of heat explosions. When the game first started it was ok but now its all MIB encounters who kick my rear end. I think I'm doing something wrong? I use R1 lock on but its pretty arbitrary who he locks too, guarding doesn't really protect him from anything and breaks easy in Brawler and dodging sucks outside of Rush. Just seems to become a punching bag. Comparatively on Majima I can block and dodge as need be, and I don't feel like I'm fighting the system so much? What am I messing up here?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Blackfyre posted:

Ok I'm on about chapter 6 now of Yakuza 0. The Majima chapters really got their teeth in me, I find his combat styles real fun and enjoy his story more than Kiryu's so far.

However after returning to Kiryu I'm struggling. I really don't get his combat. I feel like I'm just stunlocked all the time, can't really build heat or pull of heat explosions. When the game first started it was ok but now its all MIB encounters who kick my rear end. I think I'm doing something wrong? I use R1 lock on but its pretty arbitrary who he locks too, guarding doesn't really protect him from anything and breaks easy in Brawler and dodging sucks outside of Rush. Just seems to become a punching bag. Comparatively on Majima I can block and dodge as need be, and I don't feel like I'm fighting the system so much? What am I messing up here?
There appears to be a period right around then when there was some game design mistake and the normal enemies just suddenly become fuckoff hard before you have access to counterattacks and stuff that can keep you from being stunlocked. I'm currently replaying the game again around that part and feel the same way as I did the first time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I loved little touches like if you grabbed an enemy, you could speak into their voice channel and freak out their teammate.

Oh my godddddd I forgot about this. What a genius multiplayer mode.

What happened Ubisoft :qq:?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Literally Assassin's Creed happened.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Assassin's Creed made them a shitload of money and they started living out of their open-world engine kit.

That said, I am surprised we haven't gotten another Splinter Cell since Blacklist.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Literally Assassin's Creed happened.
Half of AC is seriously perfect: generations of two secret global organizations fighting each other by running around on rooftops in famous historical cities assassinating each other.

Then there's the whole DNA memory and alien magic or whatever. Why did those two things have to get married like this?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I've managed to step away from FFXIV for a while now(only for overwatch to take away all my time). But drat. I just keep buying more and more games. some of them are still sealed. I keep telling myself not to buy, only to give in "but If II want itater and if I buy now while it's on sale, i'm saving money" I need to stop that.

Games I've completed
- Destiny (Thank you Goons for the fun times. looking forward to destiny 2)
- Rise of the tomb raider
- Final Fantasy 15
- World of Final Fantasy
- Attack on Titan

Backlog
-Uncharted 4 (started it but never finished it)
-Danganronpa 2
-Aliennation
-Enter the gungeon
-Uncharted 1-3 remaster
-Borderlands handsome collection
-Need for speed
-Kingdom Hearts dream drop distance
-Dragon ball xenoverse 2
-Mirros edge catalyst
-Digimon cyber sleuth
-Toukiden Kiwami
-God eater
-God eater 2
-Diablo 3
-Odin Sphere

And more

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

Half of AC is seriously perfect: generations of two secret global organizations fighting each other by running around on rooftops in famous historical cities assassinating each other.

Then there's the whole DNA memory and alien magic or whatever. Why did those two things have to get married like this?

Most likely so they had an external framing device to tie otherwise-unrelated storylines together throughout history, and because you know drat-well at some point there's either going to be a game (or at least a stretch of gameplay) going all the way back to Adam and Eve's rebellion against the Precursors.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

If you think the games are bad, you should see the movie (I mean you shouldn't see it)

Like 70%+ is set in the modern day DNA labs :nono:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Most likely so they had an external framing device to tie otherwise-unrelated storylines together throughout history, and because you know drat-well at some point there's either going to be a game (or at least a stretch of gameplay) going all the way back to Adam and Eve's rebellion against the Precursors.

I thought they were building towards a game set in modern times(kinda like Mirror's Edge meets Deus Ex I guess?). So much for that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

meh

The industry was basically in-love with a chatty producer's perfectly coifed hair before they ever even got hands on the game

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

If you think the games are bad, you should see the movie (I mean you shouldn't see it)

Like 70%+ is set in the modern day DNA labs :nono:

Such a weird choice, we're there to see cool historical parkour stabbing action and we get literally 3 scenes of that. and the climactic action sequence is just a lame fight in the present day lab. what.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

Such a weird choice, we're there to see cool historical parkour stabbing action and we get literally 3 scenes of that. and the climactic action sequence is just a lame fight in the present day lab. what.

I brought my little brother to see it on New Year's Day and I've genuinely never been so bored in a cinema. Kids were crawling all over the place due to lack of interest.
Half an hour in, the kid behind me turned to his dad and said "how long's left, half an hour?"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Every review of the movie said it was just explanatory as hell because their heads are all irretrievably suck up their asses about this Eden/genetic memory world building stuff and honestly don't know that no one else cares,

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 13, 2017

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Serious question: Have there ever been any good movies based on video games? Resident Evil doesn't count because while the first one was ok, the rest got loving stupid, quick.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mortal Kombat

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Zipperelli. posted:

Serious question: Have there ever been any good movies based on video games? Resident Evil doesn't count because while the first one was ok, the rest got loving stupid, quick.

The Doom movie was ok, the first person part was just hilarious.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Sakurazuka posted:

Mortal Kombat

Yeah it's this one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zipperelli. posted:

The Tomb Raider movies were pretty decent, weren't they?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Tomb Raider movies were pretty decent, weren't they?

Dear god no

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zipperelli. posted:

I enjoyed the street fighter and mortal kombat movies. They tied in well enough with the games to make them decent enough for a fan to sit through.

I was going to say that watching them when i was 11 probably played a part in that but even at that age I thought the Super Mario movie was a strange and unappealing mess.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Honestly I like SMB the best because it's as different from the games as possible, given that it didn't even start with a connection to them. That's not saying much though. Game stories are mostly a pulped version of movie plots, so making a movie of it is pulp of pulp.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Silent Hill was alrightish, MK is good, SMB and Street Fighter are fun.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The question is really "do any video game franchise films FEEL like their games?"

In that vein I think the first Mortal Combat totally succeeds (that theme song is an unimpeachable pop culture benchmark in movie themes).

Prince of Persia came and went without any critical acclaim right? I just don't understand the need to whitewash these games, ugh

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

The Doom movie was ok, the first person part was just hilarious.

Doom is by far the best video game movie I've seen.

When Prince of Persia came out a few people were like "it's not groundbreaking but it's not bad for a video game movie." Never actually watched it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PoP might be one of the dullest films I've ever seen though I hear rear end Creed beats that.