Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Trastion posted:

I don't have a torch and don't really want to go buy one just for this. Any easy way to achieve that part?

Torches also aren't too much, and you can use them to smoke wax also! https://www.amazon.com/BonJour-Butane-Culinary-Br%C3%BBl%C3%A9e-Aluminum/dp/B000G9OYX4/

Certainly understand not wanting to buy a tool for such limited use though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Or, toast your sugar for a nice flavor and something different to top it with. No need to torch it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Trastion posted:

I don't have a torch and don't really want to go buy one just for this. Any easy way to achieve that part?

If you are worried about price they are pretty cheap. And can be useful if you are a handyman.

http://www.harborfreight.com/butane-micro-torch-63170.html

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Ok maybe I'll stop by Harbor Freight on the way home. Has anyone made these in bigger jars? I think I have some 8oz Jelly Jars. Would I have to change anything if I filled the jars more than he does on that site? He is using tiny jars and the bigger jars would look pretty empty.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

sterster posted:

Could you do this with something like Dry Ice. Including adding some small chunks of dry ice into the food processor to prevent it from thawing out. I realize this wouldn't be an instant freeze but would probably still be close enough...maybe?

Liquid nitrogen is actually pretty easy to get. You just need a container and to find the local welding supply shop. I don't recall it being particularly expensive for a liter of the stuff. You can use the excess to make ice cream too, which is amazing. Or bottle rockets, those are also fun.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A lot of welding shops like my local Airgas have suddenly gotten uptight and won't fill coffee dispensers anymore, and will only fill LN-specific containers now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SV bacon verdict: good, but not worth doing again. Also set off my damned smoke alarm again. Baked bacon is superior once again!

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Remind me about fish safety when cooking from frozen. I got a huge fillet of salmon that I cooked half of and am freezing the rest. I bought it unfrozen, and the 2nd half is now vacuum sealed with a miso/mirin marinade in my freezer. Can I cook this from frozen, or should I take it out the night before to thaw in the fridge?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You can cook from frozen. For something flat like salmon filet I'd only add half an hour

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Assuming you rinsed/cleaned your fish/meat before prepping it for freezing, why would you not cook it from frozen? Are there foods that need to be thawed again first?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If a SV calculator says that your thickness of frozen meat will take more than 2 hours to finish, you will spend too long in the (oversimplified) danger zone.

Well, actually it will be below the danger zone for part of it, but these recommendations always err on the side of caution.

So if your calculator says your frozen fish can finish quick, you're fine.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
So I made a LOT of Creme Brule and made a couple batches of Lemon Curd too. Gave a few jars to guests to take home and still have a few of each here. But I have like 4 dozen eggs worth of egg whites now. I am thinking of making the Starbuck egg bites. Should I change anything in the recipe since I am only using the whites? Will it really matter to not have the yolks?

What else can I make with the whites?

Oh yeah the Lemon Curd recipe here is the one I used and it turned out great. Tart and sweet and very addictive. Luckily I did the curd in "jelly jars" that are smaller.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 12, 2017

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Not sous vide, but I would go hog wild with meringues.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Cocktails, marshmallows, meringues, homemade whoppers/maltesers, some kinds of chex mix/nuts

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Has anybody done burgers? Was it worth it compared to a good grilled burger?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

BrianBoitano posted:

The shape can be kind of weird if you vacuum seal patties but I dig 'em compared to skillet cooked. SV lamb burgs also A+.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

I've done it a few times. I like doing it when I'm either making lots of burgers, or thick burgers (like, 200 grams). Else it's just more trouble than it's worth.

the yeti posted:

The shape can be kind of weird if you vacuum seal patties but I dig 'em compared to skillet cooked. SV lamb burgs also A+.

Oh yeah, don't vacuum seal them. Just use the water displacement method.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

BrianBoitano posted:

I make Juicy Lucy's regularly. Super good.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

BrianBoitano posted:

The best burgers are thin with a good crust IMO. Sv doesn't do it for me when it comes to burgers.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Horn posted:

The best burgers are thin with a good crust IMO. Sv doesn't do it for me when it comes to burgers.

same. SV burgers come out with the texture of a chef boyardee meatball. In my experience, anyway.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

For those who like crispy burgers, my favorite burgers so far: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/ultra-smashed-cheeseburger-recipe-food-lab.html

I still want to try SV though, to give it a shot. Does anyone chill before searing to prevent overcooking?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

the yeti posted:

If the patties are frozen vacuum sealed should be alright id imagine.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

For those who like crispy burgers, my favorite burgers so far: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/ultra-smashed-cheeseburger-recipe-food-lab.html

I still want to try SV though, to give it a shot. Does anyone chill before searing to prevent overcooking?

I've done SV burgers which were very good. I cooked at 129 iirc, dried let them drop to room temp, seasoned and then deep fried. Very good leftovers too since all you have to do to finish is deep fry.

/e- using a sandwich bag and water displacement you can keep the patty amazingly loose too.

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!

BrianBoitano posted:

I don't have a grill, so SV is better than using the stovetop alone for thick burgers.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Would doing pollo asado work well with SV? Like vacuum seal my chicken in marinade overnight and then puddle it? Does anyone have any recipes for this?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Midniter posted:

Or, toast your sugar for a nice flavor and something different to top it with. No need to torch it.

Have you tried this and did you notice anything special about the results? My mom tried it and said it was barely noticeable.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Im trying my first brisket right now, and I've got some sizable air pockets near the top of the bag now. I'm not sure if it's my lovely sealer and the bag is leaking or just that some smaller gas pockets from the original seal have expanded from heat.

Not sure if this is a no-no, but I tried to pull it out at around 8 hours and cut a small corner and suck out the excess air and re-seal from a corner of the bag but I didn't have much luck getting the air pockets out. I'm going for somewhere around 36 or maybe 48 hours total so it's still in there, about 16hrs so far I think.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

peepsalot posted:

Im trying my first brisket right now, and I've got some sizable air pockets near the top of the bag now. I'm not sure if it's my lovely sealer and the bag is leaking or just that some smaller gas pockets from the original seal have expanded from heat.

Is the meat below the waterline? If so, don't sweat it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Just put something on top of the bag to hold it down. I generally use a metal colander, but it doesn't really matter.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If the air bubble is in an unoccupied part of the bag, sure. If it's actually touching the meat then it'd insulate it from the water, which would add an unknown amount of time until it reaches temperature. For brisket timeframes, you won't have to worry about safety so much as finding a tough spot. I wouldn't worry terribly. For something shorter like fish I'd be wary.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

Have you tried this and did you notice anything special about the results? My mom tried it and said it was barely noticeable.

No, I haven't tried it, just passing along a new technique I came across for a different option for creme brulee (though it takes the "brulee" part away). If it doesn't make a big difference, that's really disappointing.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I ended up getting a torch and just doing it that way. My brulee came out great but I think the Lemon Curd I made at the same time was WAY better. But then I like lemon.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Subjunctive posted:

Is the meat below the waterline? If so, don't sweat it.

Yeah it's fine. Let the air bubbles chill in the extra space in a corner of the bag. Beef on the bottom let the air float up to a nice spot away from it and forget about it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Trastion posted:

I ended up getting a torch and just doing it that way. My brulee came out great but I think the Lemon Curd I made at the same time was WAY better. But then I like lemon.

Try using muscovado sugar in your creme (Not for caramelizing, only as ingredient.) Makes it infinitely better imho

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Hopper posted:

Try using muscovado sugar in your creme (Not for caramelizing, only as ingredient.) Makes it infinitely better imho

You're a muscovado sugar

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Not sure what the joke is supposed to be here, but in case you thought that was a typo, muscovado sugar is a special type of unrefined brown sugar (from south America I think), that has a caramel or toffee aroma...

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Hopper posted:

Not sure what the joke is supposed to be here, but in case you thought that was a typo, muscovado sugar is a special type of unrefined brown sugar (from south America I think), that has a caramel or toffee aroma...

You're a toffee aroma

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Because we are all talking about Creme Brûlée. I was curious if you guys could help me. The recipe that I got from the sous vide book this one - https://www.amazon.com/Sous-Vide-Home-Technique-Perfectly/dp/0399578064/ref=pd_sbs_14_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=X9C26NJJHZ6AH8XGP2GV

causes my custard to be 'runny.' It's more like a pudding and I'm expecting something that holds its shape better. So for instance when I use a spoon I expect the spoon to cut into the custard and for it to retain it's shape and the walls of the custard to not slowly fill the evacuated space. That being said what can cause it to be more fluid or more 'solid'

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

sterster posted:

Because we are all talking about Creme Brûlée. I was curious if you guys could help me. The recipe that I got from the sous vide book this one - https://www.amazon.com/Sous-Vide-Home-Technique-Perfectly/dp/0399578064/ref=pd_sbs_14_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=X9C26NJJHZ6AH8XGP2GV

causes my custard to be 'runny.' It's more like a pudding and I'm expecting something that holds its shape better. So for instance when I use a spoon I expect the spoon to cut into the custard and for it to retain it's shape and the walls of the custard to not slowly fill the evacuated space. That being said what can cause it to be more fluid or more 'solid'

It needs to be cooker either at a higher temperature, or for a longer time. Or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I don't know that recipe but try 80 Celsius for at least an hour and make sure the number of egg yolks is correct, I tried several recipes and if the ratio of egg yolks to other ingredients is off it becomes runny in my experience.