Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Paper With Lines posted:

I am currently in New Orleans and got a roast beef po boy from Johnny's on a whim and it was amazeballs. What is the secret to the gravy? One thing I saw was something called "Kitchen Boutique." Minnesota pot roast deffo doesn't taste this good.

What does a Minnesota pot roast have in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Cream of mushroom soup, canned peas, beef and tater tots.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Doom Rooster posted:

:perfect:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

If your recipe calls for browning the chicken and using the rendered fat to make roux, keep in mind it's very easy for bits of chicken to burn, which (1) can throw off the roux and (2) can make it hard to distinguish the little black flecks that indicate you have burned the roux. In that case it's better to brown the chicken, deglaze and reserve your fond, and make the roux in a clean pot.

Yeah I have done this before, I browned the chicken, removed it added a little water and then collected the liquid, used a new pot for roux and added the liquid to the gumbo later.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

Sometimes with cream of chicken soup also, sometimes with corn instead/in addition to peas, sometimes with cheese on top. Tater Tot Hot Dish is a nuanced cuisine!

Ebbinate
Oct 26, 2002
Slide Ruler

Hopper posted:

So a friend came back from the state's and brought me andouille sausages! I invited them and a bunch of others over for gumbo on Sunday. I plan to cook the gumbo tomorrow, chicken and andouille.
This time, I would like to make my own chicken stock from scratch, using the chicken meat in the gumbo.

However, in Germany for making stock we use Suppenhuhn, which is a literal chicken, i.e. female., when roasting chicken, we use male chicken for better meat.

I am not a native speaker, when a recipe for making stock and gumbo says chicken, do they mean a female or male? I.e. should I use a chicken I would roast in this case as I want more meat?
My gut says yes but I wanted to ask before I start.

For future reference, "soup chickens" are old hens that are done laying eggs. They're used only for soup because if you tried to cook them like "regular" chicken meat you'd find it very chewy and difficult to bite into. The meat is still pretty chewy after hours in a soup. "Regular" chickens can be used for either purpose. It's the age of the chicken that makes the difference, it's not exactly because it's male or female.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Sometimes with cream of chicken soup also, sometimes with corn instead/in addition to peas, sometimes with cheese on top. Tater Tot Hot Dish is a nuanced cuisine!

I thought you guys were kidding. New Orleans style roast beef is usually an Italian style roast beef with a bit more bite to it (little cajun influence). Stay away from ones using Italian dressing packets. I am actually planning to make one tomorrow.

HFX fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 17, 2017

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Woah, woah, woah. What? There's a cajun roast beef, now? You local goons best start spilling recipes now, because this sounds like it combines two of my favorite things to splurge on into one dish.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I don't have a good 'cajun' roast beef recipe handy. The only thing close I ever did was grillades which is basically just sliced bottom round prepped in a tomato gravy sort of way and served over cheesy grits more often than not.

http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/meats/pork22.htm

This is close to the recipe I use. Not all that different from cooking up a good beef stew / bourguignon in the end.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Mmmm...grillades and grits....put a couple poached eggs on there too...Bloody Mary...

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Someone have a decent recipe for jambalaya? I tried this (cut down since I don't need to feed an army) http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/poultry/chicken18.htm Every time I do it, it comes out greasy as gently caress making it borderline inedible. It's hard finding pork sausage in Texas so I end up buying a ton when I visit family in south Louisiana, but I'd rather not waste it on lovely jambalaya.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

poemdexter posted:

Someone have a decent recipe for jambalaya?
The third post on the first page is a pretty easy standard jambalaya. You don't need a lot of extra fat like that recipe you found, just enough veg oil to brown the meat. The sausage and chicken fat should be enough (particularly if you're using thighs). In the middle of winter I just use a can of diced tomato rather than whole tomatoes.

Oven-finished is way easier than cooking it the whole time on the stovetop -- stovetop is easy to scorch the bottom if you don't stir occasionally or have a super-low heat setting.

I brown my chicken in a separate pan at the same time as my veg & sausage sauteing in the main pot, cause I use more veg in my recipe than That Works. Also you can throw some ham in a jambalaya if you have leftovers or get a small ham steak. It's an anything goes thing.

quote:

It's hard finding pork sausage in Texas
??? Just normal kielbasa / smoked sausage in the grocery store will do the job.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Klyith posted:

The third post on the first page is a pretty easy standard jambalaya. You don't need a lot of extra fat like that recipe you found, just enough veg oil to brown the meat. The sausage and chicken fat should be enough (particularly if you're using thighs). In the middle of winter I just use a can of diced tomato rather than whole tomatoes.

Oven-finished is way easier than cooking it the whole time on the stovetop -- stovetop is easy to scorch the bottom if you don't stir occasionally or have a super-low heat setting.

I brown my chicken in a separate pan at the same time as my veg & sausage sauteing in the main pot, cause I use more veg in my recipe than That Works. Also you can throw some ham in a jambalaya if you have leftovers or get a small ham steak. It's an anything goes thing.

Thanks I'll try that recipe!

Everything is beef sausage and I find it has a different texture and taste compared to pork. We always used pork sausage growing up and I'm trying to get a taste of back home.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Where in Texas are you? In Austin, every HEB I have checked in carries one small row of Cajun Hollar andouille, which is pretty passable actually.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Doom Rooster posted:

Where in Texas are you? In Austin, every HEB I have checked in carries one small row of Cajun Hollar andouille, which is pretty passable actually.

Dallas. I'm in north Plano aka Vanillaville, USA.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
My old stomping grounds! Vanillaville indeed. Your Eatzi's there may actually carry good andouille. Definitely make the trip down to Hebert's (cajun butcher) at some point though. Just a quick trip down the tollway to Inwood.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Doom Rooster posted:

My old stomping grounds! Vanillaville indeed. Your Eatzi's there may actually carry good andouille. Definitely make the trip down to Hebert's (cajun butcher) at some point though. Just a quick trip down the tollway to Inwood.

Didn't know it existed! I'll be sure to do that. Thanks!

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Capt'n Dave's Seafood over on Alma and Plano near JoAnn's has andouille shipped from LA, though I can't specifically speak to the quality. They tend to have a bunch of other cajun items come in up to the lead in to Mardi Gras here as well.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

poemdexter posted:

Everything is beef sausage and I find it has a different texture and taste compared to pork. We always used pork sausage growing up and I'm trying to get a taste of back home.

Huh, even the generic smithfield / hillshire farms stuff is beef? Weird.

I agree that beef sausage isn't the same though. For a while I had a jewish roommate and made stuff with beef, just wasn't as good. Trying to make kosher new orleans food is a good joke.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

poemdexter posted:

Dallas. I'm in north Plano aka Vanillaville, USA.

Weird, I'm in Houston and pork sausage is very easy to come by here.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Doom Rooster posted:

Oh poo poo son, there's Hebert's in Dallas? I'd been relying on a friend in Lafayette to bring us stuff from the Louisiana branches, but my in-laws live in Plano and can bring that up to me much more easily...

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yup!

I am somehow bringing more joy to the people of Dallas after I moved away, than I ever did while I lived there... Hmmm....

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Klyith posted:

This is all good advice, definitely agree.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Saw some big-rear end local shrimp, I think they were about 6-8 to the pound and $5.99.

So I made shrimp and cheese grits. Grits are stone ground with some butter and grated parm and mascarpone folded in.

I used homemade shrimp stock and some leftover tomatillos in the sauce which gave nice acidity to the sauce without needing lemon juice.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wow, looks great man.

I woulda never thought to use mascarpone or tomatillos in that. Neat idea.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I spent the weekend in Lafayette for a wedding. I'm still gumbo hung over, but I just had king cake for breakfast, so...

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Starting next week through mardi gras I fully expect to subsist on a diet of gumbo, crawfish monica, better cheddar and king cake.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Weird coincidence, I just made a shrimp and sausage gumbo last night myself.

(I swear there are more shrimp in there than that makes it look like!)

I was originally aiming for more like a shrimp etouffee, but halfway in it got out of control because I am totally unable to stop adding more stuff. So I audibled to a gumbo and it was good.

I wish I could get good shrimp with heads on to make a quality shrimp stock. One time I got some at the grocery store but it ended up being a rip-off because they sold them to me at the same price they were selling the shrimp with heads removed.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I think I might be a terrible person. I actually prefer duck and sausage (or other kinds of game) gumbo to seafood gumbo. Yours looks delicious, though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mushika posted:

I think I might be a terrible person. I actually prefer duck and sausage (or other kinds of game) gumbo to seafood gumbo. Yours looks delicious, though.

Nothing wrong with that.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

That Works posted:

Nothing wrong with that.

Don't get me wrong; I love seafood. It's just that, to me, shrimp, crab, etc. do far better with more creole style dishes, like etouffee and whatnot, or just enjoyed on their own. Gumbo, to my taste, is more of a rustic stew. One day, I'll make a venison sausage, rabbit, and duck gumbo and I will be a very happy man. Wait, why the hell haven't I? I wonder how difficult it would be to do over a campfire...

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mushika posted:

Heh, I don't disagree! I've never had duck gumbo, but I'm sure it's awesome. Everything else made from duck is great.

I kinda prefer a gumbo that starts with a bird carcass, but I never make a whole roast chicken or turkey for myself. So I don't have a bird to make a good rich stock with. But that's what my family does every thanksgiving: turkey on tgiving, gumbo on saturday or sunday once we've demolished the leftovers.

The main thing with a shrimp gumbo is it's easy, you don't need the dead bird, and you can make a passable stock with the shells in an hour.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Klyith posted:

Heh, I don't disagree! I've never had duck gumbo, but I'm sure it's awesome. Everything else made from duck is great.

I kinda prefer a gumbo that starts with a bird carcass, but I never make a whole roast chicken or turkey for myself. So I don't have a bird to make a good rich stock with. But that's what my family does every thanksgiving: turkey on tgiving, gumbo on saturday or sunday once we've demolished the leftovers.

The main thing with a shrimp gumbo is it's easy, you don't need the dead bird, and you can make a passable stock with the shells in an hour.

Best gumbo I've personally made was a duck and pork sausage gumbo.

Roasted a whole duck and reserved / clarified out all the fat from it that I could. Flaked out most all of the meat off the carcass and reserved. Made a pressure cooker stock with the duck carcass after browning the bones a bit in the oven and a couple onions, celery, carrots, peppercorns and squeeze of lemon. Made a roux with the duck fat then added in trinity, garlic, okra, pork sausage slices, duck meat and then duck stock. Just added salt, black pepper, cayenne and some parsley.

Making your own stock (to me) is the key to make a good gumbo into a great one. Duckfat roux is loving great also.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Klyith posted:

I kinda prefer a gumbo that starts with a bird carcass, but I never make a whole roast chicken or turkey for myself. So I don't have a bird to make a good rich stock with.

Whenever I want to make stock, I just go get a rotisserie chicken at the store. Use the meat for lunches or whatever and use the bones for stock.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Every time we get a rotisserie chicken, or roast a chicken ourselves, or butcher a chicken, I throw the carcass in the freezer and when I have 3 or so I make stock with the bones. Nothing wrong with freezing carcasses for use later. Same with shrimp head/shells, crab shells, lobster shells, fish bones, crawfish shells, etc.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

the_chavi posted:

I spent the weekend in Lafayette for a wedding. I'm still gumbo hung over, but I just had king cake for breakfast, so...

Everything about this statement is correct.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Every time we get a rotisserie chicken, or roast a chicken ourselves, or butcher a chicken, I throw the carcass in the freezer and when I have 3 or so I make stock with the bones. Nothing wrong with freezing carcasses for use later. Same with shrimp head/shells, crab shells, lobster shells, fish bones, crawfish shells, etc.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

neogeo0823 posted:

Woah, woah, woah. What? There's a cajun roast beef, now? You local goons best start spilling recipes now, because this sounds like it combines two of my favorite things to splurge on into one dish.

Closest I know is a creole style "pocket roast"
Saute trinity with
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed thyme
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Stuff slits in the meat with ttrinity/spice mix and roast or braise at 150C for a couple of hours.

On superbowl day I made prawn/shrimp gumbo. Wasn't planing to but prawns were 1/2 price at 10/kg and I already had the sausage in the freezer from way back when that was 1/2 price.

I made stock with the heads and shells. The seafood doesn't reheat well for left overs at all ( I know this because I have the same problem every time I do a fish/seafood meal), but it was good on the day and the price was right anyway. But I definitely prefer non seafood gumbo myself as well.

E: Nothing was wrong with the prawns even the next day, it was just the prawn stock got very concentrated and thick. I might do prawns again one day but either use chicken stock, or only half the heads/shells/tails from the 700g prawns

Also I tried the Alton Brown roux method. Rather than do it on the stove and risk burning, I threw it in the oven @150C for 1.5 hrs. Anyone else tried that? It didn't come out as dark red brick as I do on the stove in that time, but saved having to wear PPE gear on a hot day in order to avoid roux burns on the stove - I have had some real nasty ones before so I usually don gloves, long sleeves and pants and full covered shoes.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 15, 2017

holttho
May 21, 2007

I do the oven method when I want to see how far dark I can get it. I would recommend starting on the stovetop high heat to get your roux to a mid-brown (or however far you are comfortable to take it stovetop) just so it doesn't take 4 hours. But then once you feel your courage start to wane, toss it down in the oven at about 350ish and give it a stir every 10 minutes or something. As the oven is nice and gentle, you can take your roux darker than you thought possible with reduced burning risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I would like to take a crack at king cake this year. Anyone have a good recipe??