Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

the upper midwest is p. dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm the herring peering out of my plastic container ready to talk to passers-by about Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

the upper midwest is p. dope

I just had some tonight, pickled herring fillets on cucumber slices. I already drained the brine and gave them a rinse and a pat-down, to hopefully get rid of some of the sugar.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
A reminder: deen all cattes :3:

But usually with beach cliffs or somethin' else cheap and stinky, save the KO's for special occasions

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Deen your doggie too!

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

some of the tiny tots/smaller KOs are the same size as my aquarium catfish and that makes it weird tbh

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Once a catte visited our yard, and I tried to feed him 'dines. I only had spicy ones in oil (don't remember the brand), but I rinsed them off in the sink so he wouldn't burn his tongue, and put them outside in a bowl.

Wouldn't you know it -- he sniffed them, but didn't want anything to do with them! I guess beggars can be choosers.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Once a catte visited our yard, and I tried to feed him 'dines. I only had spicy ones in oil (don't remember the brand), but I rinsed them off in the sink so he wouldn't burn his tongue, and put them outside in a bowl.

Wouldn't you know it -- he sniffed them, but didn't want anything to do with them! I guess beggars can be choosers.

I tried to feed a girlfriend's cat some smoked salmon I'd gotten in college one time when I really didn't have the money to spare on smoked salmon and the little bitch just sniffed it and walked away.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Are pickled eggs dadly

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

the yeti posted:

Are pickled eggs dadly

I hope so! I made some the other day, along with some beans.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ceciltron posted:

I hope so! I made some the other day, along with some beans.

I would eat this egg and beans

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
In his home next to Hellman's, Dread Eggthulhu lies dreaming.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I think all pickled things are dadly.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

the yeti posted:

Are pickled eggs dadly

Yes they are. Just not my thing.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

VendaGoat posted:

Yes they are. Just not my thing.

SHUT UP YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD

Pickled eggs are badass food for badass dads/dadlike beings. Just add onions.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Did anyone get their haiku gifts yet? Still waiting for my apron.

Edit: also FYI there is another King a Oscar contest on their Facebook page for Valentine's, ends tomorrow. Basically just post anything and you'll probably get a coupon at minimum.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Wish that poo poo wasn't always on Facebook.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Male Tears posted:

Edit: also FYI there is another King a Oscar contest on their Facebook page for Valentine's, ends tomorrow. Basically just post anything and you'll probably get a coupon at minimum.
My "Royal Taster Kit" (a can of Spanish Style & Regular) came in last week, yeah.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Male Tears posted:

Thanks for this! I just submitted my first-ever contest entry to them.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Mushika posted:

SHUT UP YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD

Pickled eggs are badass food for badass dads/dadlike beings. Just add onions.

thank you for reminding me little pearl onions and garlic can be pickled. Breathville, here I come.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I highly, highly, highly recommend pickling those little red and green Thai chilies you can find in the summer. If you like heat they're amazing on sandwiches and they go great with sardines on crackers or toast.

Pickled, they soften and their fruity flavor comes out a bit. They're still hot as hell though. Man, I love them. I can't wait to find some this year.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just posted this in the Hot Sauce thread in Something Offal, but it makes sense to ask here too:

Has anyone ever tried neonata? It's an Italian condiment, a spicy relish made of crushed hot and sweet cherry peppers and salty young anchovies in oil. It looks like that Wickles spicy sandwich spread (which I really like), but I'm sure it's completely different -- spicier, richer, funkier.

It sounds amazing, but I've only ever seen it on Amazon, where it's very expensive:
https://www.amazon.com/Coluccio-Neo...onata+anchovies

But this Saveur article, which brought it to my attention, is tempting me:
http://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/Go-Fish

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

I just posted this in the Hot Sauce thread in Something Offal, but it makes sense to ask here too:

Has anyone ever tried neonata? It's an Italian condiment, a spicy relish made of crushed hot and sweet cherry peppers and salty young anchovies in oil. It looks like that Wickles spicy sandwich spread (which I really like), but I'm sure it's completely different -- spicier, richer, funkier.

It sounds amazing, but I've only ever seen it on Amazon, where it's very expensive:
https://www.amazon.com/Coluccio-Neo...onata+anchovies

But this Saveur article, which brought it to my attention, is tempting me:
http://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/Go-Fish

I have tried it! Because of that same saveur article. It's good. Mildly spicy and mildly funky. Oily. I'd like to buy it again some time. I put it on pizza once and found that the pizza flavors overpowered it. Good on toast as an app if you ever do that kind of thing and have friends who would venture into that territory.

E: you can also get it from specialty Italian grocers. IIRC I got mine from Supermarket Italy, maybe because it wasn't on Amazon at the time

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 14, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

theres a will theres moe posted:

I have tried it! Because of that same saveur article. It's good. Mildly spicy and mildly funky. Oily. I'd like to buy it again some time. I put it on pizza once and found that the pizza flavors overpowered it. Good on toast as an app if you ever do that kind of thing and have friends who would venture into that territory.

E: you can also get it from specialty Italian grocers. IIRC I got mine from Supermarket Italy, maybe because it wasn't on Amazon at the time

I live in a surprisingly great city for specialty and ethnic grocery stores (Orlando), but we don't have an Italian market. I'd kill for something like Eataly in Chicago or DeLaurenti in Seattle (been to both and fell in love with them), but the closest one we have is in St. Petersburg, two and a half hours away.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

I live in a surprisingly great city for specialty and ethnic grocery stores (Orlando), but we don't have an Italian market. I'd kill for something like Eataly in Chicago or DeLaurenti in Seattle (been to both and fell in love with them), but the closest one we have is in St. Petersburg, two and a half hours away.

Yeah it'd be awesome to sample something like that before you have to commit to a jar.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
My wife is fearful that I'm giving her something sardine related for Valentine's Day. She might be right....

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

wrtong thred

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

pahuyuth posted:

My wife is fearful that I'm giving her something sardine related for Valentine's Day. She might be right....

https://www.amazon.com/Milk-Chocolate-Sardines/dp/B00HS63RLI

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

I highly, highly, highly recommend pickling those little red and green Thai chilies you can find in the summer. If you like heat they're amazing on sandwiches and they go great with sardines on crackers or toast.

Pickled, they soften and their fruity flavor comes out a bit. They're still hot as hell though. Man, I love them. I can't wait to find some this year.

Gonna find some of these. Wish me luck!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

pahuyuth posted:

oh man I hope I get something sardine related for Valentine's day

My GF is about to lose her BJ's card so I borrowed it to buy six boxes of KOs she was a little weirded out

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I picked up some of the regular King Oscar sardines and ate them on crackers with this

pretty good

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
^^ that stuff's flavor reminds me of A-1 steak sauce

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Valentina is an excellent general purpose sauce. I use it as wing sauce straight up when I'm feeling lazy, and around here it's like $1 a bottle

It's in my trifecta of sauces I must always have around with El Yucateca XXXtra Hot and a local fatalii sauce

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I like el yucateca. The local Mexican place recently started putting yucateca chipotle sauce on the tables and it is surprisingly tasty and balanced

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I like el yucateca. The local Mexican place recently started putting yucateca chipotle sauce on the tables and it is surprisingly tasty and balanced

There's a kind that restaurants never carry that's a sort of raw color. It's a lot hotter with an even better flavor. It's where I put my pin down on what sauce is the best balance of heat and flavor

The only places around here that have it are a little Asian grocery store, and Wal Mart

It's ~12,000 scoville if that means anything to you. Tobasco is like 4k

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I love their black label reserve version, it's really unique compared to other habanero sauces I have because of tons of smokey roasted flavor and I use it on everything. That plus green tabasco, melindas, and chile lime cholula round out my most used list.

https://www.amazon.com/El-Yucateco-Black-Label-Reserve/dp/B00OV4VVD6

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 15, 2017

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Epic High Five posted:

There's a kind that restaurants never carry that's a sort of raw color. It's a lot hotter with an even better flavor. It's where I put my pin down on what sauce is the best balance of heat and flavor

The only places around here that have it are a little Asian grocery store, and Wal Mart

It's ~12,000 scoville if that means anything to you. Tobasco is like 4k

Wow, nice. I will keep an eye out for that. Ive had the red and the green, but never that.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jymmybob posted:

I love their black label reserve version, it's really unique compared to other habanero sauces I have because of tons of smokey roasted flavor and I use it on everything. That plus green tabasco, melindas, and chile lime cholula round out my most used list.

https://www.amazon.com/El-Yucateco-Black-Label-Reserve/dp/B00OV4VVD6

Only found that once myself, again at Wal Mart lol

It's good

The best part is these sauces are only like $2.50 a bottle tops, usually a lot cheaper

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I got my haiku shirt! It's great!

I even got a nice letter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm slighted that as the op of this thread I don't get letters and also stock options.