Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I for one am all for worthless DLC and seasons passes

that poo poo has gotten old as hell. $20 season pass MAYBE but this $40-50 poo poo? Lol to hell with that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

So it's literally as worthless as the Watch Dogs 2 dlc?

Theres going to be 2 single player expansions for that. It's overpriced to be sure though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was listening to a podcast and someone who had real experience in combat sports said they really liked the gameplay so maybe it is good if you learn the depths

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I for one am all for worthless DLC and seasons passes

that poo poo has gotten old as hell. $20 season pass MAYBE but this $40-50 poo poo? Lol to hell with that poo poo.

fallout 4 with a $50 season pass that has exactly one story dlc, lmao. i still contend the fuckery they did with their season pass cost and dlcs was more revolving around some weird attempt to trick people into still paying for mods, but as of yet they're the kings

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

rabidsquid posted:

fallout 4 with a $50 season pass that has exactly one story dlc, lmao. i still contend the fuckery they did with their season pass cost and dlcs was more revolving around some weird attempt to trick people into still paying for mods, but as of yet they're the kings

The first ones that come to mind are Fallout 4, and loving Arkham Knight. I think AK was like 30 or 40 dollars for some race tracks and fight arenas.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

By december of last year I could have picked up a copy of Watch Dogs 2 for less than the season pass.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

Fallout 4 has two story DLCs. I mean your point still stands, what Bethesda did was scummy as all hell but still.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The For Honor modes beside Dominion look all right, if there is time between Nioh and Nier I might rent it

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
So Rainbow 6 has a new bug since the big content update that can randomly gently caress up the renderer so that you can join matches and even see icons and your HUD but all you see in the main view is some part of the map off to the side. If you throw a drone, it breaks. If you do anything that should show you a different camera, it just doesn't work. It's happened to me twice and a guy I was playing with once and the only way to fix it is to close and restart the game. Ubi better fix the one game they made that I enjoy.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The For Honor modes beside Dominion look all right, if there is time between Nioh and Nier I might rent it

Totally going to buy it on sale some day. Sorry, lurking Ubi employees.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Yeah, For Honor is a holiday sale game. Oh well, plenty of good games to play in the mean time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hopefully there will be a multiplayer community still around at that later date!

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

For honor is great, I played in the alpha, closed beta and then open beta and went from not really interested to pre order over that period.

There is a lot of depth to the combat and despite it being p2p connections I've never really seen laggy matches (I'm in the UK).

The dual battles are really intense and if you want something more casual you can jump into the 4v4 battlefield hold the area type modes. People saying it's a moba-like are talking poo poo, there's literally one control point out of three points on a map you have to hold, in one game mode out of 4(?) that involves killing fodder to get your fodder to hold that point.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Bad Parenting posted:

For honor is great, I played in the alpha, closed beta and then open beta and went from not really interested to pre order over that period.

There is a lot of depth to the combat and despite it being p2p connections I've never really seen laggy matches (I'm in the UK).

The dual battles are really intense and if you want something more casual you can jump into the 4v4 battlefield hold the area type modes. People saying it's a moba-like are talking poo poo, there's literally one control point out of three points on a map you have to hold, in one game mode out of 4(?) that involves killing fodder to get your fodder to hold that point.

Yep, some people just want to dislike it but it's a really high quality, deep game.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yep, some people just want to dislike it but it's a really high quality, deep game.

And also one of the characters is a big fat samurai sumo man who can execute with his butt by sitting on his opponent

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Its also a weird niche genre and doesn't appeal to a big player base. Its also made by ubisoft, uses uplay, and the matchmaking doesn't work good.

Uplay doesn't apply here, sure, but still. This can turn out to be a full price Titanfall 2 fiasco without a campaign.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Its also a weird niche genre and doesn't appeal to a big player base. Its also made by ubisoft, uses uplay, and the matchmaking doesn't work good.

Uplay doesn't apply here, sure, but still. This can turn out to be a full price Titanfall 2 fiasco without a campaign.

It does have a campaign. also ubisoft actually tend to support their games very well

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I need to go to bed but I can't stop playing For Honor.

The combat just feels so drat electric.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

^same, played it for virtually five hours straight despite some serious hand pain.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

What genre is it? The closest thing are Street Fighter type fighting games but they're still very different. It's nothing like Dynasty Warriors.

I'm thrilled to try a new type of game and it should be encouraged. This used to be the norm. It's sad that a whole generation of gamers has experienced nothing but safe sequels and recoils at the sight of something new.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I stand corrected on the campaign part. But yeah, I get burned really bad with Multiplayer only, PVP Type Games and Ubisoft inspires no confidence. At least Uplay is better than Origin I guess?

Edit

This might be a new genre for consoles maybe,but I recently got burned by Chivalry and players exploiting like crazy

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 14, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I stand corrected on the campaign part. But yeah, I get burned really bad with Multiplayer only, PVP Type Games and Ubisoft inspires no confidence. At least Uplay is better than Origin I guess?

Titanfall 2 not only has a campaign, it's one of the best FPS story modes in recent years.

Also a first-year student's buggy php client program project is better than loving Origin, its a very low bar :v:.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Titanfall 2 not only has a campaign, it's one of the best FPS story modes in recent years.

I know. This was in regards to For Honor not having one, which I was wrong about.

I got burned on TF2 cause I bought it on PC, which was a mistake

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Remember when Persona 5 was coming out today? :negative:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Artless Meat posted:

... gently caress you, buddy. It hurts a lot.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Artless Meat posted:

Yeah. :saddowns: Well, no big deal there, we are well-adjusted adults who have better things to do on Feb 14 than play an anime RPG. Right?

(:smithicide:)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I mean it's good in one way in that there's already a million good games out but yeah I get what you mean

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I bought P5 on the Japanese release date but haven't finished it because it's billions of hours long and many other good games have come out in the mean time. And next week is Nier and freaking Super Robot Wars.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Oh Samurai Sanders, been meaning to ask, is the Yakuza 1 remake a similar situation to 0 where it was a cross gen game? IE does it still have loads of small loading thing, between going in and out of buildings etc...
Yeah, on a technical and gameplay level it is very similar to 0.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 14, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh Samurai Sanders, been meaning to ask, is the Yakuza 1 remake a similar situation to 0 where it was a cross gen game? IE does it still have loads of small loading thing, between going in and out of buildings etc...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It is, 6 is the first one designed specifically for the PS4.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ah cool, thanks. I know they're pretty short but the loads times coming in and out of buildings still gives me flashbacks to 3

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unfortunately it's still going to be a while before anything not by the biggest Japanese publishers are going to stop being held back by either having to have a PS3 or Vita version.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Unfortunately it's still going to be a while before anything not by the biggest Japanese publishers are going to stop being held back by either having to have a PS3 or Vita version.

:psyduck: WHaaaa?!!!

Surely every Japanese gamer is rocking a PS4 these days. Is it not some form of treason to not own a Sony console

\/\/\/\/ drat I had no idea this was the case! I see so many Japanese PS4 games in Gamestop these days that I just assumed everyone had one over there. If that's the caseI guess it explains why the only new games that the Vita gets seem to be anime games.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Feb 14, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The PS4 has picked up momentum there recently but attached-to-a-tv console gaming is still basically dead in Japan, which is one reason JP publishers are increasingly looking at sales in the west. Vita/PS3/PS4 multiplats will phase out eventually but they're an easy way of maximising domestic revenue for smaller publishers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

The PS4 has picked up momentum there recently but attached-to-a-tv console gaming is still basically dead in Japan, which is one reason JP publishers are increasingly looking at sales in the west. Vita/PS3/PS4 multiplats will phase out eventually but they're an easy way of maximising domestic revenue for smaller publishers.

Actually, from the looks of the announced titles, the small/medium developers are all jumping ship to the Nintendo Switch.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is there a list? I gave up following the Switch thread a long time ago.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Is there a list? I gave up following the Switch thread a long time ago.

The Wikipedia page for Switch games has several series of games that have generally had PS3/multiplatform versions like Disgaea, Blazblue, even a confirmation for a 'Tales of' game from the developers. Considering the Switch is the cheapest platform to develop for with it's lower specs (assuming it's not a wretched bitch to code for like the WiiU was), it's going to be the easy mark for a lot of developers that can't raise a budget to make something PS4-worthy in terms of graphics with the PS3 and Vita dead and buried now. Especially if it's something with 50+ hours of content like a JRPG, nevermind that Nintendo pulled their heads out of their asses and made the console region-free.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If 'untitled SMT game' ends up being #FE 2 I'll probably get one.

Seems like a lot of hedge betting and ports of stuff that's already out at the moment though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
My worry is that a lot of those studios that have their logos show up with the Switch all the time have only said "well we think it's very interesting" and not much else.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's a UBISoft game, it's never anyone's loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
*snip* poo poo wrong thread, sorry.

Blackfyre fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 14, 2017