Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Thin Privilege posted:

The new ones from this are awful. Before it was kind of but not 100% sure that he was gay, it was more of a *wink*wink* thing, if that makes any sense. The new ones were literally "I'm flaming! *burns stares into the camera* and Bart saying "I thought you were..." "not if I use this 10 times a day! *Smithers injects himself with something* "I love boobies!"

They're also missing the scene where Smithers turns on his computer and the startup window is naked burns saying "hello.smithers. You.are.quite.good.at.turning.me.on" "uh...you probably should ignore that"

E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YzSHIYxdRs

Maybe this has been mentioned before, but anyways. Not that I've seen this episode or the vast, vast majority of any newer episodes, but I hear there was a recent episode where Smithers blatantly comes out as gay, Mr. Burns rejects him, and he has a short-lived romance with some stereotypically gay dude. Mr. Burns and Smithers later reunite and forgive each other, because of course they do and The Simpsons is unable to have any character progression whatsoever. It really, really made me never want to watch the show again... and I've never had the urge to watch a new episode for like 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've wondered for a while if Armin Tamzarian would have been a less divisive episode if the plot wasn't "Yes, Skinner was a phony" but use a similar plot that this guy comes into town challenging Skinner's status as the REAL Seymour Skinner and we get an entire thing of people questioning if this could be true and even Skinner doubting himself. Skinner is such a weakwilled character that as the episode goes on, he's getting gaslighted all the time by what this new guy is saying but also memories that his confrontational mother has of him/new guy that he cannot bring himself to challenge.

You could probably have the twist at the end be that the guy's con is undone not by the clever investigation by the townfolk, but by realizing that his con would force him to be trapped in Springfield, forever, as Skinner. Just like he was manipulating Skinner and the people, the town's treatment of him as they accept him as 'New Skinner' to actually take on his persona and role is so unbearable that he breaks under the pressure.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I am pretty sure the writers are increasingly desperately trying to get the show canceled but fox executives just keep laughing and telling them it's great stuff.

It must be a living hell.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Johnny Aztec posted:

Homer is fat.

Homer stepped on the scale and the scale said 239 and he lamented how much of a whale he is.

Two Thirty Nine

I believe patty and Selma are said to be 150 pounds by homer, maybe 160.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Maybe this has been mentioned before, but anyways. Not that I've seen this episode or the vast, vast majority of any newer episodes, but I hear there was a recent episode where Smithers blatantly comes out as gay, Mr. Burns rejects him, and he has a short-lived romance with some stereotypically gay dude. Mr. Burns and Smithers later reunite and forgive each other, because of course they do and The Simpsons is unable to have any character progression whatsoever. It really, really made me never want to watch the show again... and I've never had the urge to watch a new episode for like 15 years.

I haven't seen it but IIRC, that was written after one of the writers sons came out and he wanted to do an episode about not making Smithers being gay a joke anymore. It actually sounded very sweet

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the last two seasons of futurama were so very bad that they ruined earlier funnier seasons. Horrible pacing. Horrible jokes. Total garbage

Here's something very funny and worth watching; a round table with Conan and a few other writers shooting the poo poo about their processes from the glory days of the Simpsons. I find it really interesting that you can look at them and see the resemblance of characters in the show: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DtJ28qOEG1g

Haha, Tracey Ullman hated giving part of her show to the Simpsons and claimed to be too busy to do a voice for them.

I can understand where that came from, but it's real funny that that small bit of pettiness probably cost her ~$100 million.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Honestly, 100mm sounds like the low end - as an original 'gatekeeper', I bet she could have gotten a small percentage deal on the syndication or even merchandising since they probably hadn't quite learned their lesson from Star Wars yet

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Even the old DVDs had good humor.

I'm sad that DVDs/the packaging break (the DVD holder things lose the glue and fall off) off so eventually you'll never be able to see the originals (I heard they re-animated them or some poo poo, like the iTunes where they only sold the ~new~ versions of Star Trek w/o an important episode.)

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I copied all my Simpsons DVDs onto blank tapes, because those will last longer

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Thin Privilege posted:

I'm sad that DVDs/the packaging break (the DVD holder things lose the glue and fall off) off so eventually you'll never be able to see the originals (I heard they re-animated them or some poo poo, like the iTunes where they only sold the ~new~ versions of Star Trek w/o an important episode.)

They didn't reanimate them but they edited each episode by zooming in and occasionally stretching so they have a 16:9 aspect ratio. They also seem to have applied a noise filter and everything looks like those pixel smoothing filters on old emulators. It looks terrible.

South Park on the other hand still had all the files for every episode season 2 or 3 onward and were able to reformat every episode into 16:9 and look true HD without compromising framing for the most part.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
but on the DVD commentaries Matt Groening yells at people who use the zoom button to make the 4:3 DVDs fit their widescreen TVs

why would he compromise on his principles

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Ein cooler Typ posted:

but on the DVD commentaries Matt Groening yells at people who use the zoom button to make the 4:3 DVDs fit their widescreen TVs

why would he compromise on his principles

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Thin Privilege posted:

Oh man I find these menus beyond cumbersome

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I haven't seen it but IIRC, that was written after one of the writers sons came out and he wanted to do an episode about not making Smithers being gay a joke anymore. It actually sounded very sweet

Good for them, sort of. Pretty embarrassing that "guy gay, get it?" would still be a joke in 2017.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Good for them, sort of. Pretty embarrassing that "guy gay, get it?" would still be a joke in 2017.

Did this become more and more of the punchline in later seasons? I fear it must be, since in the early seasons the joke wasn't that he was gay, but that he was madly in love with his disgusting conservative boss and had to hide that.

I'm gonna watch a Smithers = Gay youtube montage to confirm this....

Thin Privilege posted:

*Smithers injects himself with something* "I love boobies!"

Wow I thought you were exaggerating. This is awful.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
The best one was when they were at the strip club and he was surrounded by strippers and screaming and covering his eyes

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Nonviolent J posted:

The best one was when they were at the strip club and he was surrounded by strippers and screaming and covering his eyes

So that's new simpsons then? It seems more in his character to just look a bit awkward, then hit on Mr. Burns.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
I think it was the flag day one

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Yeesh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqV3BYcplFM

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The writers said they never originally wrote Smithers as a homosexual. They wrote him as a "Burns-o-sexual."

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Anyone say That '90s Show, yet? 'Cause that's when I felt loving insulted having watched the show for so many years.

Retconning how Homer and Marge met, retconning everything else by moving the established past ('70s and '80s) up into the '90s, a shitload of unfunny anachronistic "HEY, IT'S THE '90S REMEMBER THIS?!?!" entire decade references, and Homer's stupid grunge band with even stupider song parodies. gently caress that episode.

It was so bad, the following flashback episode had Marge and Homer back in high school in the '70s.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I love it when comedies telegraph and spell out the joke for me, that way I don't have to do stupid poo poo like "think" to understand the humor! Hehe, he's "flaming" because that's a word used to describe flamboyant homosexuals! Humor is funny!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Lowtax posted:

I love it when comedies telegraph and spell out the joke for me, that way I don't have to do stupid poo poo like "think" to understand the humor! Hehe, he's "flaming" because that's a word used to describe flamboyant homosexuals! Humor is funny!

Goddammit lowtax, pitchers and catchers start reporting tomorrow, can we get a Cheslor Cuthbert av or what??

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Also, that Sideshow Bob episode where he had a family in Italy I think and his kid kept saying VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA

Holy Mary mother of gently caress was that beyond annoying.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

You Are A Elf posted:

Also, any Sideshow Bob episode

HE STEPPED ON A RAKE AND GRUNTED AGAIN LMAO

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Code Jockey posted:

Feh, you just don't enjoy the works of Gilbert and Sullivan.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

You Are A Elf posted:

Anyone say That '90s Show, yet? 'Cause that's when I felt loving insulted having watched the show for so many years.

Retconning how Homer and Marge met, retconning everything else by moving the established past ('70s and '80s) up into the '90s, a shitload of unfunny anachronistic "HEY, IT'S THE '90S REMEMBER THIS?!?!" entire decade references, and Homer's stupid grunge band with even stupider song parodies. gently caress that episode.

It was so bad, the following flashback episode had Marge and Homer back in high school in the '70s.

Marge thought he was on heroin because of the needles in his arm but it was insulin! Because he was diabetic! From too much Starbucks! GET IT?????

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That 90's episode marked the point of divergence between the me who had doggedly stayed with the show from my childhood through the poo poo years and the new person who didn't care any more. The man I was before I saw that was dead, and I greeted the new future with fear and trepidation.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I will still argue up and down with people about their rosy memories of the first bunch of seasons. There were plenty of:

1. "Family Guy-esque cutaways" even though Family Guy didn't exist yet
2. Pointless celebrity cameos
3. Bad writing wackyness

All the very specific criticisms people constantly level at the later seasons are there in the early seasons. You are glossing over them because of nostalgia. However, the early seasons could get by with lazy writing and lazy animation BECAUSE THEY WERE ACTUALLY FUNNY.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
How dare you

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Nonviolent J posted:

How dare you

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

BECAUSE THEY WERE ACTUALLY FUNNY.

Okay so you also agree that the first bunch of seasons were better so your point is what now?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Scudworth posted:

Okay so you also agree that the first bunch of seasons were better so your point is what now?

My point is that the very specific criticisms leveled against the later seasons, too many cutaways, too many celebrity guests, bad writing, bad animation, thin stories, that sort of critical eye is not applied to the early seasons because any criticisms of those episodes are papered over by nostalgia. However, the early seasons are actually funny, nostalgia or no, and that excuses everything.

Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe

WatermelonGun posted:

My favorite episode is the one where homer discovers he likes having his rear end ate

Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe

Wizard Master posted:

The people who mentioned the Homer and Marge S&M episode missed the most important detail: Homer accidentally sits on a dildo and has to be rushed to the hospital

lmbo

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
someone needs to make a gif of that, NOW oh god

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I know it happens sometimes in classic episodes but any time a character has to read an on-screen joke out loud.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rptb8L7t6gg

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Cape Feare is a top 5 episode easily

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
the valentines day one with mythbusters as barts story arc is on and its mostly lisas love story and goddamn i hate lisa and any episode ever based around her and i always have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I will still argue up and down with people about their rosy memories of the first bunch of seasons. There were plenty of:

1. "Family Guy-esque cutaways" even though Family Guy didn't exist yet
2. Pointless celebrity cameos
3. Bad writing wackyness

All the very specific criticisms people constantly level at the later seasons are there in the early seasons. You are glossing over them because of nostalgia. However, the early seasons could get by with lazy writing and lazy animation BECAUSE THEY WERE ACTUALLY FUNNY.

This is pretty true, but those three complaints would only be scratching the surface of why post-classic seasons are bad.

The amount of "wacky filler" and cartoony moments is probably the most glossed over aspect of the classic seasons. The show was never grounded in reality, but giving those wacky moments actual good comedic timing, knowing when the joke has gone on long enoguh, and not over-explaining the jokes makes a massive difference.