Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Conor also has the means to get top level representation in court

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I understand why Conor wants to do this. I'm not sure why the UFC would be on board past a short term gain. Having their bell cow get pointed by a past his prime boxer hurts the brand.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Trast posted:

I understand why Conor wants to do this. I'm not sure why the UFC would be on board past a short term gain. Having their bell cow get pointed by a past his prime boxer hurts the brand.

Because he will make one beeelion dollars and prove hes bigger than the sport, even if he loses.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Gonna be a hard sell to TMT to give Conor a split he's happy with and I think the UFC will be aggressively against it as well

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Skip My Posts posted:

Oh for sure. The issue I think is just one of time. I don't doubt that McGregor/nsac/Floyd could make it happen eventually, it's just a question of making it happen before Floyd loses interest. He's been at it for like a year now

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Skip My Posts posted:

It would probably take at least a year or two to fight it out with the UFC in court including all the appeals by whoever loses. And, at the end of the day, there's a pretty good chance that the court will rule in favor of the UFC.

So, Conor really needs to get the UFC on board if at all possible.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

david carmichael posted:

Oh for sure. The issue I think is just one of time. I don't doubt that McGregor/nsac/Floyd could make it happen eventually, it's just a question of making it happen before Floyd loses interest. He's been at it for like a year now

Yeah I think you're dead on. He's getting old

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

david carmichael posted:

I wonder if the UFC is on board. Maybe they will just get 10% of Conor's purse or something. But if they aren't I wonder how long they could hold it up in court. Its unclear how enforceable UFC contracts are w/r/t other sports, especially with how close MMA comes to falling under the Ali act

what I was wondering is if UFC is involved/on board, would Mayweather vs McGregor PPV benefit from all if UFC helped stack it a little bit? That PPV probably does 2 - 3 million buys on its own, but if UFC were to throw a decent title fight or two on it and maybe Golden Boy puts a good boxing match on it too, it might bolster that number up a bit. I could see it contending with the Floyd vs Pacquaio PPV record with UFC's help.

Trast posted:

eh even the most casual of combat sports fans will understand that Mayweather is in a different class from McGregor when it comes to boxing. As long as Conor doesn't get TKO'd, which may happen but probably won't, his reputation won't suffer too much from a 12 round loss.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dana said that if they did it, the UFC would want the boxing match to be at the top of a card filled with MMA fights. How would they do that, logistically? Can you quickly replace a cage with a ring, or would they just have to fight in a ring, pride style?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bubba Smith posted:

what I was wondering is if UFC is involved/on board, would Mayweather vs McGregor PPV benefit from all if UFC helped stack it a little bit? That PPV probably does 2 - 3 million buys on its own, but if UFC were to throw a decent title fight or two on it and maybe Golden Boy puts a good boxing match on it too, it might bolster that number up a bit. I could see it contending with the Floyd vs Pacquaio PPV record with UFC's help.

eh even the most casual of combat sports fans will understand that Mayweather is in a different class from McGregor when it comes to boxing. As long as Conor doesn't get TKO'd, which may happen but probably won't, his reputation won't suffer too much from a 12 round loss.

I don't think the undercard matters. For Floyd /Manny every single Filipino in the US watched it. It's tough to quantify which % of my people the whites would tune in but I bet the number of people who would be swayed by a stipe fight or GGG or something on the undercard would be completely insignificant

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
A copromotion would be crazy to see. I don't think there's enough money to split and make everyone happy. Floyd is gonna want the lion's share

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Conor is testing The Secret to its very limits... it cannot sustain this request...

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rigel posted:

Dana said that if they did it, the UFC would want the boxing match to be at the top of a card filled with MMA fights. How would they do that, logistically? Can you quickly replace a cage with a ring, or would they just have to fight in a ring, pride style?

MMA in a ring isn't unheard of, as you note. Also a Floyd fight would probably go down in an arena big enough to just have both set up already.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Conor will not defend a belt in his MMA career

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

david carmichael posted:

I don't think the undercard matters. For Floyd /Manny every single Filipino in the US watched it. It's tough to quantify which % of my people the whites would tune in but I bet the number of people who would be swayed by a stipe fight or GGG or something on the undercard would be completely insignificant

Yeah that makes sense, and would be a bit of a bummer. I thought it was a bit silly when Floyd and Manny charged $100 for their 1-fight PPV but I understood why they could get away with it. I wish that bump was more significant cause I could see a megacard between UFC & boxing's greats actually being worth $100+ and doing really well, but like you said the undercard ultimately won't matter so we won't get to see it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

MMA in a ring isn't unheard of, as you note. Also a Floyd fight would probably go down in an arena big enough to just have both set up already.

Yeah but something tells me that if they are gonna have MMA fights they won't give up the OCTAGON. I'm sure they can tear it down or something.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
If UFC do co promote it I hope they do a piece about how Boxing is not really fighting and how most boxers would get hosed up in MMA when the rules protecting them get taken away.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
"Getting old" is kind of an odd one to claim when he's the best defensive boxer of all time and was last seen convincingly defeating Pac and Berto.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

david carmichael posted:

I also think people being nakedly and consistently mean to mobn or anyone without even the pretense of trying to be funny is something that we can do without. It doesn't seem to be funny or fun for anyone involved, so why in the world are we doing it

There are only a handful of posters that seem to do this and aren't funny with it, and yea they need to cut it out.

When its funny its gold though, and i'm speaking as someone who has had some pretty severe ice burns committed against me in these very threads.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Skip My Posts posted:

Gonna be a hard sell to TMT to give Conor a split he's happy with and I think the UFC will be aggressively against it as well

let's be real here, the shittiest split possible for a boxing match against floyd would still eclipse any ufc payday for him

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

willie_dee posted:

If UFC do co promote it I hope they do a piece about how Boxing is not really fighting and how most boxers would get hosed up in MMA when the rules protecting them get taken away.

They could just play James Toney vs Randy Couture on the jumbotron or something during the walkouts. Cut a "redemption for boxing" angle.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Triticum Guzzler posted:

let's be real here, the shittiest split possible for a boxing match against floyd would still eclipse any ufc payday for him

Seriously. As long as he gets in the ring and fights Mayweather, he's getting more money than he's made in the UFC combined if the fight happens.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

"Getting old" is kind of an odd one to claim when he's the best defensive boxer of all time and was last seen convincingly defeating Pac and Berto.

I think I might vaguely recall fatherdog once posting a list of people who made Mayweather's defensive boxing look anything less than stellar and it had no names on it which sums it up for me.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The Irish Sun (how reliable are they?) is reporting from an anonymous source that Conor and Floyd have agreed on how to split the purse, and the only thing remaining is to get the UFC on board.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Triticum Guzzler posted:

For real. Floyd's estimated income from the Pacquiao fight was 220 million. It grossed over 600 mill:
http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/13181452/floyd-mayweather-make-least-220-million-fight-manny-pacquiao
http://nypost.com/2015/05/12/the-absurd-mayweather-pacquiao-money-numbers-roll-in/

Conor got about 15 million for the Diaz fight:
http://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/nate-diaz/conor-mcgregor-nate-diaz-earn-estimated-15-million-13-million-respectively-ufc-202/

Even if he got 10% of the gross he's still making 4x what he does in the UFC. Even 2% would be on par with what he makes in the UFC. Making this fight happen will get him paid big regardless of the split.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
gently caress Floyd Mayweather

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Vengarr posted:

gently caress Floyd Mayweather

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yeah but something tells me that if they are gonna have MMA fights they won't give up the OCTAGON. I'm sure they can tear it down or something.

Bellator ran kickboxing and mma and just had the cage and the ring next to each other in the venue at the same time

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Work Friend Keven posted:

Because he will make one beeelion dollars and prove hes bigger than the sport, even if he loses.

No I know Conor will make all the money even if he gets wrecked. I was asking why the UFC would take the risk of an old man in a dying sport humble their biggest attraction.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Trast posted:

No I know Conor will make all the money even if he gets wrecked. I was asking why the UFC would take the risk of an old man in a dying sport humble their biggest attraction.

It's quite possible they can't stop it & if it's happening anyways they'll want their name on it.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Triticum Guzzler posted:

For sure but will the UFC take the rest or be forced to allow it?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If this fight happens I will watch it and I will cheer for Conor because that is the most interesting outcome.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He's getting old and will hit a wall eventually. Reflexes go first and that's his bread and butter. Pacquaio is also getting old, he got knocked the gently caress out by Marquez before he even fought Floyd and lol berto come on

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Skip My Posts posted:

For sure but will the UFC take the rest or be forced to allow it?

I'm a dipshit retard idiot with no friends who isn't a lawyer but under the Ali act idk if they can keep him from taking a boxing match.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Trast posted:

Conor has gone rogue on them. They would prefer him to go on a talk show tour promoting his next fight to defend the belt.

At this point they probably want to cash in, make a lot of money with this stupid boxing freakshow and after Conor gets thrashed then maybe he'll agree to defend his belt. If Conor gets, say, ragdolled by Khabib I don't think the UFC would be upset by that. They'll then promote their new champ, schedule fights in Russia if Khabib is the champ, and Conor will be in the position of either following orders or retiring.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CommonShore posted:

If this fight happens I will watch it and I will cheer for Conor because that is the most interesting outcome.

Same. Although there really isn't an outcome I've been able to think of that isn't funny. Floyd getting beat by a loudmouth MMA guy is funny. Conor McGregor's potential reaction to losing is funny. If they both suck so bad it takes the shine off them both it's funny.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Work Friend Keven posted:

I'm a dipshit retard idiot with no friends who isn't a lawyer but under the Ali act idk if they can keep him from taking a boxing match.

Same, Conor is definitely the dude who has the means and seems to be making poo poo fall into place to actually test that

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Skip My Posts posted:

He's getting old and will hit a wall eventually. Reflexes go first and that's his bread and butter. Pacquaio is also getting old, he got knocked the gently caress out by Marquez before he even fought Floyd and lol berto come on

Ok, but can we hold off on saying he's getting old until he looks like he's actually getting old? If anyones going to look good past the time when they should it's gonna be the guy who put a premium on not getting hit for his entire career and did a super good job of it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Regarding the Ali act, not a lawyer but I've read a few viewpoints on it, and I do not believe it will apply here. I think a judge would ultimately tell Conor he can't box without the UFC's permission while he's under contract.

The Ali Act regulates boxing contracts. You can't lock a boxer up to a promotion for a long multi-fight multi-year exclusive boxing contract. Conor does not have a boxing contract which compels him to box for the UFC, he has an MMA contract that forbids him from boxing at all (and probably kickboxing, wrestling, etc). They can grant a waiver, but a waiver to allow him to box isn't the same as an Ali Act-regulated boxing contract.

It would be like saying an NFL team can't bar their players from boxing. They already forbid them from skydiving or even driving a motorcycle, I think the NFL can also keep their players from boxing.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

conor loses absolutely nothing if he loses a boxing match to floyd lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Your honor I'd like to cite Let Me Bang v. Bro