Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night Pay
Nov 22, 2016

by Smythe
The Dead Space series is the best survival horror series of all time, pound for pound better than Resident Evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Most of the time I enjoy directing my Sims to have long, prosperous lifespans

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Perromancer posted:

The Dead Space series is the best survival horror series of all time, pound for pound better than Resident Evil

Haha I forgot about dead space, that was one of the shittiest, clunky, overrated games I've ever played.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
the first one was alright but it was pretty much a super serious rehash of resident evil 4, one of the most entertaining games ever made

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFpJ91O-yhk

thecommodore64
Jun 9, 2010
Mass Effects 3s ending was good because it ended Mass Effect 3.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

like a cigarette should posted:

Most of the time I enjoy directing my Sims to have long, prosperous lifespans

I play the sims by playing one sim and guiding him through the rigors of the modern world. Ironically, its fun to play while drinking beer and watching movies and sometimes he dies terribly due to my gross negligence. I have no idea how people play that game with 8 sims in a house; I assume those people expect there will be casualties.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
mass effect 1 had the potential of being a good game but its clear they were more interested in the things that made it a bad game and axed all of the good things about it from the sequels in favor of making it a 'mary sue saves the universe' game

i just wanted to be captain kirk and swagger around the galaxy doing poo poo but it was all just an illusion to get you back on the main storyline in which single christ figure saves the universe singlehandedly

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
also far cry 3 is one of the worst video games ive ever played

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

When I play The Sims 2 or 3 I always tell myself that I'll let my first character die and play as his kids, but then after he has the kids I realize he has really good stats and I'd have to do everything over with the next generation. So I just use the various ways you can make them stay alive forever. That makes the game less fun so I don't play The Sims anymore.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

nigga crab pollock posted:

also far cry 3 is one of the worst video games ive ever played

They're all terrible besides the first one and only half of that one is good.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Hitman does stealth better than Metal Gear.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Grevling posted:

I hope Half-Life 3 never gets made.

loving :same:

Half-Life 1 is so much better than the sequel in pretty much every way except the ending and the lack of Ravenholm. Even today I'll load up HL1 for a spin every once in a while but for HL2 I think of the early hoverboat section and go sit in a corner staring at a wall pondering what I've been doing with my life.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

north vs south was easily the best nes game

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

GET MY BELT SON posted:

north vs south was easily the best nes game

That's a weird way to spell bubble bobble.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

That's a weird way to spell bubble bobble.

gently caress level 57

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
Dark Souls PVP is always either bad mechanically or shoddily implemented in terms of faction stuff. Sometimes both.

Doom 2 is better than doom 1. Yeah, everyone loves Romero's levels, but they only have half the weapon and enemy types to work with even compared to episode 2 and 3. The super shotgun and all the new mid-tier enemies in Doom 2 are more important than the inconsistent level quality.

The New Super Mario Brothers games are decent and the controls aren't actually much different just because Mario has a slightly different animation when he starts running.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Morrowind has aged badly and Obvlivion and Skyrim are both better games.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

a glitch posted:

Morrowind has aged badly and Obvlivion and Skyrim are both better games.

I just mouthed wrong into the microphone while reading this. Oblivion is close but skyrim is trash.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Morrowind would have aged fine if everything was just twice as big on the X and Y planes. Vvardenfell is super small (you can check this out easily with the Scrolls of Icarian Flight in the beginning) and so the move speed defaults to "baby learning to crawl with two broken legs". If it was bigger, you wouldn't cross the island in six minutes by walking at a normal pace, the default start speed could be raised, and it wouldn't feel like such an ancient game.

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*

the trump tutelage posted:

fallout tactics is good and is,,, in fact, more "fallout" than fallout 3 & 4

Rutibex posted:

same, but Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel

It's the same game... Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel :tipshat:

Edit: Literally, it's one game. There's not two of them

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

autoaim.cfg posted:

It's the same game... Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel :tipshat:

Edit: Literally, it's one game. There's not two of them

Wrong.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout:_Brotherhood_of_Steel

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012

nigga crab pollock posted:

mass effect 1 had the potential of being a good game but its clear they were more interested in the things that made it a bad game and axed all of the good things about it from the sequels in favor of making it a 'mary sue saves the universe' game

i just wanted to be captain kirk and swagger around the galaxy doing poo poo but it was all just an illusion to get you back on the main storyline in which single christ figure saves the universe singlehandedly

This is my problem with many RPGs. I'm really tired of the being the Chosen One. I would also appreciate never seeing another elf or elf like race again.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

Radical and BADical! posted:

This is a good opinion. It just so drat surreal and the music is mega man tier.

The music is drat superb. Also it's one of the first (if not THE first) "MetroidVania" style games, which are cool and good.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Power_of_the_glory posted:

This is my problem with many RPGs. I'm really tired of the being the Chosen One. I would also appreciate never seeing another elf or elf like race again.

Morrowind had a fun twist on this. At the start of the game you may or may not be the reincarnation of the chosen one, but by acting as though you are, fulfilling all the bits of prophecy and so on, you retroactively become the reincarnation as far as the fabric of reality is concerned.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Morrowind was cool because you could steal anything and kill anybody. Also you could drop stuff anywhere and it wouldn't disappear so you could basically set up housekeeping anywhere. I remember going "Hrm...I like this house, I think I'll move in" and just murdering the occupants and doing just that.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
There isn't a single good game on the Sega Genesis

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I think Distant Worlds: Universe doesn't have a fraction of the depth it is proclaimed to have and is actually a pretty bad 4x game in general. Just because there are complicated systems running under the hood doesn't make it "like dwarf fortress" when you don't get to impact them in any meaningful way. Even with full manual control I found myself wanting for something to actually do and the fact that people act like it's some overwhelming complicated thing boggles my mind.

Pokemon is a horrible, insufferably boring grind.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 14, 2017

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Power_of_the_glory posted:

the ME series should have been about you being a run of the mill C-Sec officer that has to deal with space bureaucracy and internal affairs investigations cause you shot some Krogan in the face and it turned out to be a senator's son all while Saren and some apocalyptic invasion is happening in the background

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Zorodius posted:

WRONG BITCH

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

One of the best Tony Hawk games was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 on the GBA.

Mario Kart, despite literally creating the genre, is a really bad kart racing franchise. As other posters have said, Crash Team Racing is like god-tier and I have no idea why stuff like that has never been done again.

Myst and its sequels are really good but so many games that try to ape their style just straight-up copy the puzzles with different symbology that I'm genuinely curious whether another good and original point n' click adventure can be made. As a huge fan of the Neverhood I preordered the gently caress outta Armikrog but while I love the art style and music I just kinda got bored. I think part of the problem is that these games really need a sort of overarching mythology to give you a reason to care. In Myst the plot (yeah, there is one) is that you open a book, it's got like a lil TV inside it, and when you touch it you fall through a rift in the stars and end up on the docks in Myst. You're trying to figure out what happened there and why. In Riven you're exploring an artificial world while trying to thwart the false god that created it. In the Neverhood, you wake up in a bizarre micro-universe and you're tasked with figuring out what your purpose is. In Armikrog....you crash landed somewhere and just start trespassing because what the hell else are you gonna do?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Zorodius posted:

Road Rash 2 was pretty sweet and the Genesis Jurassic Park games weren't half bad either.

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*

As a proud Übermench of the PC Master Race, I don't pay attention to what happens in the world of Console Plebs, so I never even knew this existed. The Real game is called Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel.

But I'm sure the other one is very nice too... *chuckles*

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
Capcom needs to cut the crap and make MegaMan Legends 3

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Steam, as a storefront, is utter poo poo now. The sales aren't very good any more and 99.9% of the stuff on there is total garbage.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

spudsbuckley posted:

Steam, as a storefront, is utter poo poo now. The sales aren't very good any more and 99.9% of the stuff on there is total garbage.

Is this an unpopular opinion? I thought everyone knew that Valve is worse than EA and Ubisoft combined and has been for a few years now.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

MageMage posted:

jfc this holy poo poo

the only reason I didn't bring this up is because I post about mega man legends enough already

spudsbuckley posted:

Sometime early last year I saw someone espousing this same opinion and I thought they were crazy. It turns out I just hardly ever actually checked out the storefront outside of sales. Good god it's just all garbage, indy garbage, and garbage with anime titties. It didn't used to be like this, right?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

food court bailiff posted:

It didn't used to be like this, right?

Right, not until they decided John Q. Gamer should be the ultimate arbiter of what appears in the store.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

MageMage posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I've tried morrowind, oblivion and skyrim each as they were released, and i think they're clunky garbage. The setting is nice but the storyline is so goddamn generic and badly presented. On one hand the rpg stuff is pretty well done in that you have a lot of freedom and can do most things you can think of. On the other hand the emotional impact is close to non-existent because I can just not get myself to care about any of it. Also the fighting and stuff is just not very fun, as its just "move around a bit and look at your attack animation cycle endlessly until a health bar is down".