Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MaxxBot posted:

Actually Apple's custom ARM designs are really good and I have little doubt that they could make good performing laptop or desktop ARM chips. It's probably mainly the software reasons that have prevented them from doing this.

You should have doubts about that, because there's still really huge performance differences between the best ARM chips out there and Intel chips in their laptops and desktops. I mean hell, maybe if Apple continues to not update much of their line for another couple years, they could then have ARM stuff at that point which runs comparably to those non-updated machines, but that would not really be good for their ongoing sales.

People like to say "oh it doesn't matter users won't see a difference" but that's a) bullshit based on underestimating how normal people use computers and b) a huge problem for a brand of computers that charges high costs and sells itself as being high-performance. HP or Dell might be able to get away with it on some $250 low end laptop line they sell because nobody expects those to be good in the first place, but it'd be a hard sell for a $1000+ laptop to all of sudden be a lot slower than last year's models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

Ryzen MacBooks when?

Intel pays Apple a boatload of cash to use Intel CPU's. It's admittedly not a direct monetary payment, but Intel handles all the development work for Apple mainboards, including arranging manufacturing and ensuring supply in preference over other OEMs. I'm pretty sure they also help out with a bunch of the EFI stuff and driver development, though that's much less clearcut.

In other Intel news, it seems Coffee Lake will remain on 14nm, there will be a 6 core i7 branded chip version of it, and Cannon Lake 10nm is going to start as a Xeon brand and work its way down to consumer, instead of the usual consumer variants first. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/02/intel-coffee-lake-14nm-release-date/

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

EoRaptor posted:

Intel pays Apple a boatload of cash to use Intel CPU's. It's admittedly not a direct monetary payment, but Intel handles all the development work for Apple mainboards, including arranging manufacturing and ensuring supply in preference over other OEMs. I'm pretty sure they also help out with a bunch of the EFI stuff and driver development, though that's much less clearcut.

I think if you look up "boatload of cash" in a lexicon this definition comes up.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I will give Windows RT one thing, I really wanted to get a stash of them for a few users as web browsing/e-reading tablets that ran an OS that literally no Malware is created for. I know you can pretty much just get an iPad or some Android tablet and just lock it down or something, but WinRT did run rather ok (the Tegra 4 in the Surface 2 was good with 2G ram, or that Snap 800 in the Nokia tab) but with the lack of support past 8.1ish features, not so sure how it would do in the long run.

Still considering the way some of the people I know I wanted to get it for can seem to get every virus/malware on the planet, they would find some way to brick the RT tablet clicking on something they shouldn't.

However, I wonder how much fun you could have with one of those "Microsoft Support Scammers" with an RT device. Probably a bit shorter than a good VM quest, but it would still puzzle the hell out of the guy since they probably don't assume anyone has Windows on anything but a PC.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

EdEddnEddy posted:

I will give Windows RT one thing, I really wanted to get a stash of them for a few users as web browsing/e-reading tablets that ran an OS that literally no Malware is created for. I know you can pretty much just get an iPad or some Android tablet and just lock it down or something, but WinRT did run rather ok (the Tegra 4 in the Surface 2 was good with 2G ram, or that Snap 800 in the Nokia tab) but with the lack of support past 8.1ish features, not so sure how it would do in the long run.

Still considering the way some of the people I know I wanted to get it for can seem to get every virus/malware on the planet, they would find some way to brick the RT tablet clicking on something they shouldn't.

However, I wonder how much fun you could have with one of those "Microsoft Support Scammers" with an RT device. Probably a bit shorter than a good VM quest, but it would still puzzle the hell out of the guy since they probably don't assume anyone has Windows on anything but a PC.

The Chromebook Plus was just released...

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

EoRaptor posted:

Cannon Lake 10nm is going to start as a Xeon brand and work its way down to consumer, instead of the usual consumer variants first. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/02/intel-coffee-lake-14nm-release-date/

Given they've targeted mobile first with their last few releases, presumably because of the power savings, could this mean the 10nm process doesn't have significantly less power use than 14nm?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Given they've targeted mobile first with their last few releases, presumably because of the power savings, could this mean the 10nm process doesn't have significantly less power use than 14nm?

If I was to guess, I'd say it's probably more price related than anything. The mobile market can't charge a premium for low power chips in ultralights the way it used to, and Intel needs a return on the 10nm investments it's made. New server chips, especially ones that have added logic to accelerate particular problems (encryption is a big one) still command a premium.

I'm sure we are well into diminishing returns in performance and power savings from process shrinks, both from lower percentage shrinks and from the reality that only tiny parts of the logic on the chip are 10nm, the rest ends up being much bigger. That's been true for a while, and most power savings have come from designing in aggressive sleep states and power gating.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I like that I have to come to the Intel CPU thread for rational Apple hardware chat.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EdEddnEddy posted:

I sold a bunch of the Surface 2 (I think) and the people that got them all love them to this day. Zero viruses, they still run like the day they were purchased. Granted these are ultra limited users but there you have it.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

NeuralSpark posted:

I like that I have to come to the Intel CPU thread for rational Apple hardware chat.
What does the Mac thread just bend over and take whatever outdated garbage Apple shoves up there and insist loudly that it's the bet and they are so happy with their purchase? I've never known Apple fans to do that!

mewse
May 2, 2006

And apple fans drive like this!! *cue laugh track*

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fat bossy gerbil posted:

What does the Mac thread just bend over and take whatever outdated garbage Apple shoves up there and insist loudly that it's the bet and they are so happy with their purchase? I've never known Apple fans to do that!

So much for the Intel thread being better. :jerkbag:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

fat bossy gerbil posted:

But the TouchBar is innovative!*

*And adds the cost of an iPad to a MacBook Pro.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Surprise! My ASUS P8Z68-V PRO has died.

Capacitor right next to the processor cracked open and sprayed its lovely goo all over some nearby resistors labeled P1504. Most of it flaked off, but it's still evident what happened. Will take pictures when I pull it all apart, iPhone does not fit inside.

Issues started 3 months ago in the form of Windows 10 BSOD loops with unique errors almost every single time. When I reinstalled Windows 10, I reseated everything and did a visual inspection. Nothing this dramatic was apparent then. Originally thought the processor was dying and tried lowering OC from 4.8 to 4.6, which bought me almost exactly 90 days. Now it will not even boot into a linux image without segfaulting all over the place at completely stock settings.

What am I buying to replace this? Still have a 2600k/H80, 4x4GB DDR3-1333, and a Sapphire Tri-X Fury 4GB OC. Would like to retain overclocking ability in order to kill this 2600k as quickly as possible, though it doesn't seem to want to die. It is entertaining to think that the processor might actually be stable at 5.1, and it was always the motherboard that was the issue. I will certainly give it another go if I can source anything serviceable

It looks like I can buy the same model, "90% New/Refurbished", for ~$110 at places like AliExpress. I have no experience with them. Looks like it could take 14-28 days to ship, as it comes from Hong Kong. Ryzen preorders should be starting around then I think.

I'm going to call some local shops tomorrow and see if they have any latent inventory. If I'm lucky, I will be able to exchange this board for some credit towards a new or refurbished one. Old guy who owns the shop around the corner likes to try and refurbish stuff instead of throwing it away. Always happy to enable him :3

If not, I might just sell this 2600k and ram. Ryzen is coming and all that… 

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Dammit, now you've got me paranoid about my ASUS Z68. Guess I'll do a close check for bulging caps when I'm switching out the fans and giving the PSU a good 'blowjob' with an electric duster.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I'd sell the 2600k in anticipation of prices dropping for older CPU's when Ryzen drops. It's still at the speculation phase, but if Ryzen is good (and cheap) then people might be less inclined to buy used Sandy Bridge and the prices go down.

I was thinking of selling my working 3770k system, except I can't afford to upgrade at the moment. So I will just have to take the hit if Ryzen is good and second hand Ivy Bridge goes down in price. Not that I ever run out of horse power at the moment anyway, but still it'd be nice to have new tech on the motherboard.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I hope my Z68-V (gen 2!) doesn't blow up too, even after I get a replacement I'd like to keep it as a vm lab box with my everlasting 2500k.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

To be specific, it was the cap on the bottom/south side of the processor (~7:20 on a clock), right next to the lower left mounting hole. You should be able to find the little trio of resistors or whatever with a box around them labeled P1504, for some perspective on how far the goo got heh

I've never seen capacitors like these bulge, and this one didn't. Just a little pinprick on the side, oriented towards P1504, and a whole lot of hard brown poo poo. Poked at it with a metal pick and the stuff furthest away flaked off easily, its goopier closer to the source :gay:

Mine was made in the first week of November 2011.

Edit: I'm also seeing a "like new" DZ77SL-50K for $60 locally, any idea how those stack up in comparison?

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 15, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Surprise! My ASUS P8Z68-V PRO has died.

drat. I have the same board. Hope it doesn't die!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 15, 2017

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
poo poo, just replace the cap, they're super cheap to buy new and usually easy to solder. I did a couple hundred of them back in the cap-plague days when everybody's board died, and all I had was a 5$ soldering iron, a roll of desoldering wick and nothing to lose.

I think every board I fixed ended up working when I was done, the caps blowing didn't seem to bother anything else.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'm afraid to even move my pc anymore after reading all these stories about someone moving their pc 6cm and it failing to boot afterwards, caps exploding etc. My asus p6t deluxe is old, but hopefully it'll last another month or two before a catastrophic failure!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

I hope my Z68-V (gen 2!) doesn't blow up too, even after I get a replacement I'd like to keep it as a vm lab box with my everlasting 2500k.

i too have one in use. Flat out exploding caps are very rare these days, that has to be a one-off.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

^ Weren't there recently a whole crop of graphics cards that had exploding caps?? heh

JnnyThndrs posted:

poo poo, just replace the cap, they're super cheap to buy new and usually easy to solder. I did a couple hundred of them back in the cap-plague days when everybody's board died, and all I had was a 5$ soldering iron, a roll of desoldering wick and nothing to lose.

I think every board I fixed ended up working when I was done, the caps blowing didn't seem to bother anything else.

There's no way we could do those tiny surface mount resistors that got gooped, though.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

^ Weren't there recently a whole crop of graphics cards that had exploding caps?? heh

A batch of EVGA 1070s (and maybe 1080s? think it was just 1070s) had bad caps and the problem was a little exacerbated since the VRMs weren't cooled as well as they could have been. 'Course everyone blamed the VRMs for awhile even though they stayed within spec in worst case scenarios but putting thermal pads on them dropped their temp by 20ish celsius easily so EVGA still hosed up a bit.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Thermal stress testing seemed to have no effect on the card in terms of going up in flames, too. I forget which tech site/group did that testing.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

havenwaters posted:

A batch of EVGA 1070s (and maybe 1080s? think it was just 1070s) had bad caps and the problem was a little exacerbated since the VRMs weren't cooled as well as they could have been. 'Course everyone blamed the VRMs for awhile even though they stayed within spec in worst case scenarios but putting thermal pads on them dropped their temp by 20ish celsius easily so EVGA still hosed up a bit.

I'm just hoping my friends EVGA 1080 doesn't get hit by a problem, mostly as I recommended it to him.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Are those Solid Caps that are popping? Or older style/cheap ones on lesser boards?

I may have a link to a perfect ASUS Sabertooth if the guy I know still has it. We swapped it out for a AsRock something because it was having weird slowdown issues that we couldn't pin down on anything we could see. (tested Ram, CPU, Reformat, SSD, everything. System was still stable just had a slowdown "pulse" of sorts).

Replace the board, same freaking issue. I look around and find a tiny little USB BT dongle in his case.

Instant I pull it everything works back to normal. :doh:

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
^If I run my Xbox One S controller over Bluetooth and walk away from the PC during a game it causes crazy stuttering at a certain distance. The PC is literally waiting for the rapidly diminishing controller handshake.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'm just hoping my friends EVGA 1080 doesn't get hit by a problem, mostly as I recommended it to him.

If he picked it up sometime after July he should be fine. If he picked it up sometime after October/November he will be fine since that was after they put in the new thermal padding, etc.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

havenwaters posted:

If he picked it up sometime after July he should be fine. If he picked it up sometime after October/November he will be fine since that was after they put in the new thermal padding, etc.

That is not 100% because vendors may still have had EVGA cards from before the fixes in stock. Still, it should not matter much, if the card does have a bad cap it should go up in smoke well before the warranty runs out so they should be able to just get a replacement.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

There's ~50 of these FP5K / 16Bx / 8 2 1 / 0 3 caps. We found these, at ~$20 for 50, that's inexpensive enough to replace all of them on this board. They're beefy through hole connections, there's no way I'm going to gently caress this up

:rip:

I'd also like to chime in and say that even if you use a wired connection for your xbone controller, if the connection is flaky you can introduce microstutter or outright BSOD windows while trying to play a game. It's fun because the rumble exacerbates it so the game only ever gets harder to control when the game gets intense.

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 16, 2017

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That is not 100% because vendors may still have had EVGA cards from before the fixes in stock. Still, it should not matter much, if the card does have a bad cap it should go up in smoke well before the warranty runs out so they should be able to just get a replacement.

you can check your card's manufacture date when you register the evga card on their site

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Agrajag posted:

you can check your card's manufacture date when you register the evga card on their site

Also, most hardware has a date register in the serial number - just look for 16 or 17, and the number that follows is usually the week of that year when it was manufactured. For instance, the Logitech keyboard I just had replaced had "1604," while its replacement is "1648."

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I have purchased 50 of those 493-3697-ND's from Digi Key. They have a better ESR, at 5mOhm vs 8mOhm, and Ripple Voltage (~7 vs ~5).

An extremely cool goon has offered to sign me in as a guest at a well equipped hackrrspace, which will reduce the effort of this job from "rote and tedious" to "literally 15 minutes", as they have the nice tool that heats up and sucks up the old solder from big thru-hole joints. Trip report incoming! With some luck they will actually show up tomorrow, and I will have this wrapped up quickly.

Going to go buy some DeoxIT so that I can spray it all down and let it dry in preparation for the big day

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I have purchased 50 of those 493-3697-ND's from Digi Key. They have a better ESR, at 5mOhm vs 8mOhm, and Ripple Voltage (~7 vs ~5).

An extremely cool goon has offered to sign me in as a guest at a well equipped hackrrspace, which will reduce the effort of this job from "rote and tedious" to "literally 15 minutes", as they have the nice tool that heats up and sucks up the old solder from big thru-hole joints. Trip report incoming! With some luck they will actually show up tomorrow, and I will have this wrapped up quickly.

Going to go buy some DeoxIT so that I can spray it all down and let it dry in preparation for the big day

Can confirm desoldering is a pain without nice tools, though two pin through hole is usually not too bad. Hackerspaces are the poo poo, nice find.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I need to buy some better soldering gear. Those suction desoldering stations are the poo poo.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
I have a friend who wants his 2500k to finally die so he can purchase a new Kaby or Ryzen, what can he do?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Otakufag posted:

I have a friend who wants his 2500k to finally die so he can purchase a new Kaby or Ryzen, what can he do?

Wait for the motherboard to die it seems.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
2500Ks are immortal and cannot be killed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Otakufag posted:

Buy a 2600k and have them fight