Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yup! But there used to be a lot more. Smartmax sold off the IP to CMON and they stuck them all in a boardgame, but at a smaller scale than what they were before I think (54mm).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Z the IVth posted:

I built a thing for my paints. Got sick of using the nail varnish racks and was too skint to shell out for a laser cut MDF one. 2 hours and 1 sheet of foamcore later.

I really like this. Is there any issue with sitting paint sideways like this? I would worry about paint drying in the tips

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well it'll definitely teach you to secure the lids properly after painting quickly

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

w00tmonger posted:

I really like this. Is there any issue with sitting paint sideways like this? I would worry about paint drying in the tips

Quite a lot of the vallejo racking solutions actually store paint like this. I used to store it upright and there were some colours that dried out anyway.

Edit - it's not obvious from the photo but the entire rack is actually tilted backwards so the bottles angle down.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You actually will help prevent the paint from drying out by storing them upside down, the liquid creates a vapor barrier and air can't seep in. It's really important to store the Vallejo alcohol metals like this.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've taken to storing my paints upside-down n Really Useful™ drawers for that reason. It also makes it easier to spot the colour you want.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

I use Dark Earth sometimes, for very fine grain earths like sand or concrete. Black Lava is coarser and at 28mm scale looks like gravel or rocky ground or really churned up earth.

I tend to use them before priming though, so I just paint them normally.

Thanks. When using this stuff, do you glue the mini onto the base before or after applying the paste? Does the mini adhere well with just superglue on top of a layer of the paste, or does this require pinning?

Similarly, do people glue their minis on top of agrellan earth or glue the mini first?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Finished off fatty and the base.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I painted some stuff real bad

My issue is the bases; I need some kind of way of filling in the empty slotta space and smoothing the join with the metal bit. What do folks use for that?

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Has anyone ever used Anarchy Models - HD stencil System? They seem like they could be cool, a little pricey but would save me time from having to make my own.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

spectralent posted:

I painted some stuff real bad

My issue is the bases; I need some kind of way of filling in the empty slotta space and smoothing the join with the metal bit. What do folks use for that?

Scotch tape.

Seriously.

After you put down glue and basing material it holds up fine.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Glue and tissue is a very cheap way to do it. Stuff those bases, she'll never notice.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I use a gel based superglue that I have, to fill gaps like that. It's really slow drying and otherwise terrible for miniatures, but it makes for a surprisingly good hole filler for stuff like that.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Greenstuff, it also helps keep the model in there.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
I green stuff it as part of the mini prep/mouldline removal/pin/gap-fill stage.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

If I'm doing a complicated base, or using a pre-made one, I trim the slot down to tabs under the figure's feet. Then I'll greenstuff the base, leaving holes in the slot for the foot tabs (or drill holes if needed). I cover the holes with sticky tack before painting the base separately, so I'm gluing metal to plastic, not to paint.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Calling these assholes done, but I might add some photoetch =I= stuff later

My first project with minis for a couple of years. The "normal" flagellants are based on gouls with lots of putty and 3rd. party power claws. Everything looks a bit messy right now, I hope much of it is because of the diffent kinds and colours of putty.
Count-as electro-priests for 2nd ed. 40K. They have some very good rules for how archoflaggelants work in my head (4+ save, frenzy, S8). Do not play well with Arbites.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Thanks for all the advice.

glitchkrieg posted:

I green stuff it as part of the mini prep/mouldline removal/pin/gap-fill stage.

I think this might be my problem; I've been painting the model, and then adding it to a base, which has worked okay when it's just feet going on but becomes an issue with slottas.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Thanks. When using this stuff, do you glue the mini onto the base before or after applying the paste? Does the mini adhere well with just superglue on top of a layer of the paste, or does this require pinning?

Similarly, do people glue their minis on top of agrellan earth or glue the mini first?

Glue the mini down first unless you're pinning them on. Gluing to paint (which is really what that is) forms a pretty weak bond that will break just from regular use, loving up the base too.

HardCoil posted:

Calling these assholes done, but I might add some photoetch =I= stuff later

My first project with minis for a couple of years. The "normal" flagellants are based on gouls with lots of putty and 3rd. party power claws. Everything looks a bit messy right now, I hope much of it is because of the diffent kinds and colours of putty.
Count-as electro-priests for 2nd ed. 40K. They have some very good rules for how archoflaggelants work in my head (4+ save, frenzy, S8). Do not play well with Arbites.

These guys are so loving cool. Any paintscheme in mind?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I finished my first 6 Orc Blood Bowl Players!

I really love these models. Some of the best work I've ever done. Interestingly enough, I find checks to be a lot easier to paint than dags! I though it would be the other way around!

The emblem on their chest plates is a freehand orky maw with red fangs, as the team is called Da Red Fangz. I think the Blitzer is my favorite.

EDIT-I bought one of those Tao lights and it's amazing. Ghost Hand recommended them on his show, and he's right, they're fantastic. I don't know how I painted without one before.

The Sex Cannon fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 15, 2017

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tao light?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

Those checks are loving choice.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

The Sex Cannon posted:

I really love these models. Some of the best work I've ever done. Interestingly enough, I find checks to be a lot easier to paint than dags! I though it would be the other way around!

The emblem on their chest plates is a freehand orky maw with red fangs, as the team is called Da Red Fangz. I think the Blitzer is my favorite.

EDIT-I bought one of those Tao lights and it's amazing. Ghost Hand recommended them on his show, and he's right, they're fantastic. I don't know how I painted without one before.

Love them! Can you tell us about the yellow? What paint are you using?
I'm currently painting a Varag, where I planed a small checkered piece, will see how that works out.

Also whats a dag?

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

"Dag" in this case is the triangular design you see on a lot of Ork models where checks might go (think pennants, backgammon triangles, etc.)

The Sex Cannon: I just listened to you and SRM on the latest 40K Badcast, and I gotta tell ya, it's great seeing these players go from your discussion to finished paintjobs.  Keep up the good work, you two!

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

SRM posted:

Glue the mini down first unless you're pinning them on. Gluing to paint (which is really what that is) forms a pretty weak bond that will break just from regular use, loving up the base too.

These guys are so loving cool. Any paintscheme in mind?

Thanks, I think just standard pallid flesh, dull metal and basic Inq. colours. They are going to be part of a small 1000pts. 2nd ed. Inquisition themed force with some Grey Nights and other count-as Inquistion weirdoes.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

The Sex Cannon: I just listened to you and SRM on the latest 40K Badcast, and I gotta tell ya, it's great seeing these players go from your discussion to finished paintjobs.  Keep up the good work, you two!

Yeah exactly. Do you know how many listeners you've got?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

This:
https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-T...words=tao+light

Get one, they're awesome.

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Love them! Can you tell us about the yellow? What paint are you using?
I'm currently painting a Varag, where I planed a small checkered piece, will see how that works out.

Also whats a dag?

Thanks! I love yellow Orks, too. I use GW paints. Averland Sunset base, Yriel Yellow layer, Seraphim Sepia shade, Yriel Yellow highlight, Flash Gitz Yellow Highlight.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

"Dag" in this case is the triangular design you see on a lot of Ork models where checks might go (think pennants, backgammon triangles, etc.)

Thanks, man! Tell your friends!

HardCoil posted:

Yeah exactly. Do you know how many listeners you've got?

I'd guess we have around 250-300 regular listeners. Sucks for them, I guess.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

The Sex Cannon posted:

Add chips in the paint, especially the rivet heads, edges, and spikes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I knew this would happen because of the complicated surface, but this character decal broke and I made a snap decision to break up other parts to make it look like it was by design and salvage what I can. Not great but I did what I could before the decal started setting. Anything I can add to the background to give it more of an illusion of being cut apart?

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 28, 2017

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Maybe draw in some spots between rips to make it look like a pattern effect? Add some kirby dots or lens flare type patterns. Either way, thumbs up on the itasha starship :3:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Possibly add in some weathering to look like the missing bits got scratched/scorched off in a battle?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What's a good way to mask the join spots on a plastic mini I want to paint in separate pieces? I've seen watered down Elmer's glue but I'm skeptical of how well that would work. I guess poster tack would probably be ok but something that brushes on would be preferable.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 16, 2017

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Moon Monster posted:

What's a good way to mask the join join spots on a plastic mini I want to paint in separate pieces? I've seen watered down Elmer's glue but I'm skeptical of how well that would work. I guess poster tack would probably be ok but something that brushes on would be preferable.

I always use poster tack, all you need is a tiny spot

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
e: Nevermind, misread.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I did a rush job on some Trollkin Sluggers recently:

I've put two layers of dullcote and two layers of brush on matte, and they still have some shine to them. Not sure wtf happened there.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Dope as usual, Fyrbrand.

I tried painting marble for Guilliman's base tonight, I really wish I did a test somewhere else because it looks like loving trash. I followed the Warhammer TV tutorial but I guess I did it wrong. Should have practiced on a piece of plasticard first, this is gonna be a bitch to cover up.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
This isn't my work, but its now in my possession. Its painted by Aythami Alonso Torrent, a professional painter from Spain. I won it in a raffle for his video tutorial watchers.

It is... amazing.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

That's just rediculous :(

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Tentacle Party posted:

This isn't my work, but its now in my possession. Its painted by Aythami Alonso Torrent, a professional painter from Spain. I won it in a raffle for his video tutorial watchers.

It is... amazing.

:drat: Totally stealing that face shading.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

Add chips in the paint, especially the rivet heads, edges, and spikes.

What's the best way to do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Sex Cannon posted:

What's the best way to do that?

Ripped foam and your preferred metallic paint.