Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yes i am very outraged at new zelda content being available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

SirPenguin posted:

Yeah, the handling of the announcement is definitely what sent me from mildly annoyed to being internet angry.

There's no mental model for any of this. I cannot think of a single dungeon in any previous Zelda game that I would have paid even $10 for, let alone $20, and I've never once heard of paying for a difficulty option, especially not a couple months after release

I'm willing to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt because MK8 DLC was fantastic, and maybe once I play the game it'll all make sense, but they didn't even try to justify it. I'm dropping $400 to play a game that's been delayed 2 years, and 2 weeks before I get it they're asking for more money without explaining what i'll get for it

Hopefully no matter how you feel about DLC you can agree that this is a bad look

Are you arguing they should've delayed the game more months to include the content in base package, or just that they shouldn't make it at all? Or is it just that they shouldn't have announced it before release?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The real problem is this blanket use / criticism of "DLC", like it's a new fad.

DLC comes in all shapes and sizes, some good, some bad.

DLC that is clearly content that should have been part of the release or that is a clear cash grab: bad
DLC that is worked on after the game is delivered as expected, and expands gameplay: good
DLC that adds Run the Jewels to your game: confusing... but good?

Which one is Zelda? Hopefully more of the latter, hard to tell with zero details. I would be more upset that Nintendo dumped all this time into an amazing physics engine and environment and then abandoned it after the main quest.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Personally I really hope the summer DLC for Zelda has Run the Jewels in it

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Well now I'm gonna be turning off the in-game music and turning on RTJ so thanks for the idea!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

MokBa posted:

Well now I'm gonna be turning off the in-game music and turning on RTJ so thanks for the idea!

The Nintendo Switch does not support mods of any kind and you will be reported immediately.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Pegasus Boot the Rupies

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MokBa posted:

We lookin at the rupees like they ours to get

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The Nintendo Switch has a built in microphone. Not for use with voice chat but to detect unauthorized music. If you try to play RTJ while playing Zelda, your Zelda cart will be wiped and your Switch banned from the Nintendo network.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh yes I can't imagine going to a YouTube or IGN comments section about this. I would probably start openly weeping

You can just look at the youtube announcement video which has a like:dislike ratio of less than 2 to 1. Which is like, a lot of dislikes.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Electromax posted:

Are you arguing they should've delayed the game more months to include the content in base package, or just that they shouldn't make it at all? Or is it just that they shouldn't have announced it before release?

How is that the only thing you got from that post? Nintendo could have done the smart thing and given us indepth information about what the DLC offers rather than just saying "new dungeon/new map thing!"

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
wait are people actually upset over the DLC? doesn't every game have DLC now?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Gorgolflox posted:

If Nintendo announced that they were going to give away Breath of the Wild for free AND pay you $100, people would bitch that they're only getting $100.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gorgolflox posted:

It's different! Nintendo never did DLC except all the DLC they've done for multiple games.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

s.i.r.e. posted:

How is that the only thing you got from that post? Nintendo could have done the smart thing and given us indepth information about what the DLC offers rather than just saying "new dungeon/new map thing!"

Well maybe, and stick with me here, they don't know yet because they haven't made it. Maybe they don't want to promise a bunch of specific content in case they don't like it and cut some things while making other things better.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Perhaps, but we barely have indepth information about what the game itself offers beyond "shrines/dungeons/open map thing". I get the impression it's a timing issue more than anything else.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
16 days, ya'll as excited as I am??

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Yeah, getting the info about a new dungeon and side-story before we know what those things even are is not good timing. It might be the best DLC they've ever made, but at this point it's just "give us money, we give you something" that makes people worried.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vookatos posted:

Yeah, getting the info about a new dungeon and side-story before we know what those things even are is not good timing. It might be the best DLC they've ever made, but at this point it's just "give us money, we give you something" that makes people worried.

Except this is something almost every DLC on the planet does. "I'm so worried and panicked about things most games do" is weird hand-wringing. It's people looking for a reason to be upset and acting as if this is UNHEARD OF and WELL I NEVER instead of "oh, they're doing the exact same DLC model as every other developer, how about that?"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Except this is something almost every DLC on the planet does. "I'm so worried and panicked about things most games do" is weird hand-wringing. It's people looking for a reason to be upset and acting as if this is UNHEARD OF and WELL I NEVER instead of "oh, they're doing the exact same DLC model as every other developer, how about that?"

"Everybody does it" isn't a very good argument.

Like yes every major company wants to maximize profit, that's true, it doesn't make it good though!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I don't have a switch pre-order, so not really.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
People complaining about people complaining about DLC are literally the worst.

Except people complaining about people complaining about people complaining about DLC.

It's me. I'm the bad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"We're doing this and this and this"

"This isn't enough information!!!!!!!"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Like yes every major company wants to maximize profit, that's true, it doesn't make it good though!

I agree that capitalism needs to be destroyed but I wouldn't have thought that video game dlc would foment the most revolutionary fervor

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I don't have a switch pre-order, so not really.

I am sorry to hear that, good luck getting one.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I'm guessing the reason we don't actually have any concrete details on what the dungeon, story, and even the new Hard Mode will be (aside from the fact they haven't started substantial work on it yet?) is that they'll design those things to balance out criticisms of the main game over the next few months.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cojawfee posted:

Well maybe, and stick with me here, they don't know yet because they haven't made it. Maybe they don't want to promise a bunch of specific content in case they don't like it and cut some things while making other things better.

So this excuses them being as vague as possible? They could have literally said "DLC is coming and there's gonna be stuff in it!" and nothing more; it would have been just as informative as their "one new dungeon and some chests" announcement. Just say "hours of new content" to at least make it sound worth the $20, give people a general scope how much their money is getting them. Nintendo's announcements have been trash so this isn't anything new and this is the only point I'm arguing, I'm getting the season pass day 1 because I want that poo poo (whatever it is) but having another terribly vague announcement that doesn't say much about what people are putting money down for is really dumb.

Arguing that Nintendo's doing DLC is really stupid since they've been doing it for a cool minute, if anything I'm more upset we're only getting 2 chunks of DLC.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

So this excuses them being as vague as possible? They could have literally said "DLC is coming and there's gonna be stuff in it!" and nothing more; it would have been just as informative as their "one new dungeon and some chests" announcement. Just say "hours of new content" to at least make it sound worth the $20, give people a general scope how much their money is getting them. Nintendo's announcements have been trash so this isn't anything new and this is the only point I'm arguing, I'm getting the season pass day 1 because I want that poo poo (whatever it is) but having another terribly vague announcement that doesn't say much about what people are putting money down for is really dumb.

Arguing that Nintendo's doing DLC is really stupid since they've been doing it for a cool minute, if anything I'm more upset we're only getting 2 chunks of DLC.

It's really hosed up the DLC is only going to be sold for one day, March 3rd, so you have to buy it before you find out what's in it. This true fact makes being vague a huge, real problem.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

It's really hosed up the DLC is only going to be sold for one day, March 3rd, so you have to buy it before you find out what's in it. This true fact makes being vague a huge, real problem.

Yup, exactly the point I was making.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

It makes having a giant freakout about it dumb. It is literally how DLC is usually handled. Even really good developers like CD Projekt do it that way.

It's fine if you don't like it but the whole "I can't BELIEVE this!!" response to a common thing is weird. It isn't even the first Nintendo game with DLC or season passes.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 15, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The intersection of flipping out but also swearing to buy day-1 is a weird one.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Motto posted:

The intersection of flipping out but also swearing to buy day-1 is a weird one.

It's more weird that people see criticism as "flipping out."

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm flipping out

with excitement for Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild on Nintendo Switch :coffeepal:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's more weird that people see criticism as "flipping out."

SirPenguin posted:

Yeah, the handling of the announcement is definitely what sent me from mildly annoyed to being internet angry.

There's no mental model for any of this. I cannot think of a single dungeon in any previous Zelda game that I would have paid even $10 for, let alone $20, and I've never once heard of paying for a difficulty option, especially not a couple months after release

I'm willing to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt because MK8 DLC was fantastic, and maybe once I play the game it'll all make sense, but they didn't even try to justify it. I'm dropping $400 to play a game that's been delayed 2 years, and 2 weeks before I get it they're asking for more money without explaining what i'll get for it

Hopefully no matter how you feel about DLC you can agree that this is a bad look

Yes, that is not flipping out.

Nor is complaining about them doing DLC at all, complaining about them announcing DLC without exact 100% features, complaining about them announcing it before release, or complaining that it is $20, somehow a thing which doesn't cause multiple pages of hand-wringing arguments for the literally dozens of other games a year it happens for.

Yes, it sucks. If you dislike DLC you dislike DLC and that's fine. It is acting like this is unheard of or shocking or unbelievable that is dumb.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 15, 2017

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

yes

wait....

actually

yes

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The amount of Nintendo games with season passes so far can be counted on one hand. And as far as I'm aware, they've all been fantastic. This is also the same company that released a huge, free, update for a nearly five year old 3DS game back in December.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

actually the dlc sounds good and $20 isn't very much. Ask me about my privilege

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

littleorv posted:

actually the dlc sounds good and $20 isn't very much. Ask me about my privilege

what kind of privilege is it

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Motto posted:

what kind of privilege is it