Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Last I heard he was still technically under Glory contract, but it's non exclusive and Bellator pay him more money to fight in his back yard in fights arranged by his manager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Bellator is trying to break into Italy so they might be paying him pretty well just to show up

He's pretty old now

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Triticum Guzzler posted:

imo kickboxing is really easy to watch as a sport, but really hard to watch as an entertainment product where you have to hunt it down on weird foreign streaming sites like a truffle pig. it's more like bowling where it's very percussive and easy to see and understand what's happening, but occasionally the mafia burn the alley down for insurance money.

Jesus Christ make this the OP. I would actually watch kickboxing instead of Cops re-runs.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Triticum Guzzler posted:

imo kickboxing is really easy to watch as a sport, but really hard to watch as an entertainment product where you have to hunt it down on weird foreign streaming sites like a truffle pig. it's more like bowling where it's very percussive and easy to see and understand what's happening, but occasionally the mafia burn the alley down for insurance money.

It's easy to watch in that it's two dudes trying to knock each other out, but it's hard to watch in comparison to boxing because of all the extra elements. There's way way more going on. I like to think I can follow boxing tactics, combinations and defence, I can't for the life of pick up on what kickboxers are trying to do. For example that high kick knock down or flying knee, how do you mimic or train for that, and how do you in the middle of a brawl decide to throw it. Its mental, next level stuff to boxing.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

willie_dee posted:

It's easy to watch in that it's two dudes trying to knock each other out, but it's hard to watch in comparison to boxing because of all the extra elements. There's way way more going on. I like to think I can follow boxing tactics, combinations and defence, I can't for the life of pick up on what kickboxers are trying to do. For example that high kick knock down or flying knee, how do you mimic or train for that, and how do you in the middle of a brawl decide to throw it. Its mental, next level stuff to boxing.

I totally hear what you are saying but after some Muay Thai you'd be amazed how high you can kick on a reflex. I'm amazed more arms aren't broken blocking head kicks.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

It's really odd that so many people don't watch kickboxing but hate on MMA for "the gay wrestling stuff."

Like you'd imagine someone would swoop in and go "here's some kickboxing, enjoy" because stuff like Glory or whatever have put on decent fights ever once in a while. Spike sort of did that but then did the baffling thing of not re-signing Glory to their broadcast deal.

UFC doing the UFC Fight Pass for the GWS though I like and UFC Fight Pass seems to be the go to spot for US people to get all kinds of combat sports stuff (MMA, BJJ, Kickboxing).

Captain Log posted:

I totally hear what you are saying but after some Muay Thai you'd be amazed how high you can kick on a reflex. I'm amazed more arms aren't broken blocking head kicks.

Speaking of Thai kickboxing, I'm going to Bangkok in October and going to hit up Lumpinee because last time I was there I never got to go. :toot:

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 16, 2017

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Let's be honest about Glory though, a lot of it sucks and it isn't fun or interesting to follow on an ongoing basis

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Let's be honest about Glory though, a lot of it sucks and it isn't fun or interesting to follow on an ongoing basis

I don't think it sucks personally but I can see that argument. The rub is that it's also the biggest named kickboxing org in terms of reaching out to casual fans (eg. me).

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I wish they allowed elbows and more clinch work

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I watch Glory but I'll also admit to being slightly let down by recent shows due to the fairly high bar set by having Glory 33 as my first show. Then again, I might just be spoiled from watching all the old K-1 World GPs recently.

If there is other kickboxing out there with the english commentary and production values similar to Glory then I'm all ears. I love watching it despite not knowing anything about it really.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Skip My Posts posted:

Wouldn't this be muay thai without leg kicks basically?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bluedeanie posted:

Pretty much

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Skip My Posts posted:

the new Japanese promotion KNOCK OUT allows elbows but is also full of the kind of mentally insane Japanese guys who will fight and die for 20k

https://twitter.com/kb_knockout/status/830713430889811968

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the new Japanese promotion KNOCK OUT allows elbows but is also full of the kind of mentally insane Japanese guys who will fight and die for 20k

drat thats tight

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

sick elbow tko followed by an anime music pose down is my jam homes

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I feel like the thing holding kickboxing back, besides the obvious like every organization being a money laundering scam that appears and folds by the end of the year, is that it hasn't had a charismatic English speaking champ on like two decades. It's hard for people to get invested in combat sports if the honour of their particular heritage isn't on the line

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

It seems to be getting popular in Japan and China now, at least. Maybe Korea?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Does anyone know what happened to Fang Bian? It seemed like he was going to blow up after wrecking Simon Marcus and then nothing happened

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bluedeanie posted:

Sorry, I'm confused -- there's no rule about leg kicks in Glory, is there?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

vainman posted:

Does anyone know what happened to Fang Bian? It seemed like he was going to blow up after wrecking Simon Marcus and then nothing happened

He's big in China and beats the poo poo out of foreigners for Wu Lin Feng. Chinese social media posters voted him as the most popular Chinese fighter in their year end awards stuff. He was just a judge on a kickboxing reality tv show that finished a few days ago that gave out more in prize money than anyone in Glory gets.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
https://twitter.com/KiksieDB/status/833043316862222336

and check out this dude (only 19 years old)
https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/833024509515010050

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Had no idea kickboxing was doing so well there. Glad that he's doing good

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I just heard Yao Ming invested in Glory last year??? Where are they at as far stability and plans going forward right now. They seemed to be doing well around ~2013 with good fighters under contract, good cards, and good tv numbers. It seems like it's been downhill since then. Watching Ricco Verhoeven in a half full arena in Trenton while fun, wasn't encouraging.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

vainman posted:

Had no idea kickboxing was doing so well there. Glad that he's doing good

An average rating for any of the televised promotions would make tv executives from anywhere else cum out of their eyeballs. Yi Long vs Buakaw did north of 100 million viewers.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Is there some way of actually watching W5 and Wu Lin Feng ? I'm always up for more kickboxing but they don't always make it easy to watch it.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

MrBling posted:

Is there some way of actually watching W5 and Wu Lin Feng ? I'm always up for more kickboxing but they don't always make it easy to watch it.

I know W5 airs on Match (the Russian channel Rizin was on) which people stream pretty frequently. Glory has some kind of Chinese partnership coming up, which might help depending on who it's with. Kunlun I think has their own app to stream fights. But yeah, the Chinese market is generally impenetrable for western viewers for whatever reason. The guy to ask is @KiksieDB on twitter, he's the only non Chinese guy keeping on top of Chinese kickboxing.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I loving forgot there's a k-1 show this morning. It's on abema TV if you have a VPN, apparently they cracked down on hola and modifying headers.

https://twitter.com/k1wgp_pr/status/835391577648312320

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Holy poo poo

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That is sick

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
In real time I thought it was a hook that dropped him and was just about to declare that guy the most dangerous hooker I'd ever seen. The replay disappointed me in a way that hasn't happened since the talk vis a vis father christmas.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Marching Powder posted:

In real time I thought it was a hook that dropped him and was just about to declare that guy the most dangerous hooker I'd ever seen. The replay disappointed me in a way that hasn't happened since the talk vis a vis father christmas.

The first camera angle really does look like some kind of light speed right hook counter. I think it has to do with the other guys arm dangly whatsits.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Man if there's one thing that the UFC is missing it's that awesome Soul Blade style replay music

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
https://twitter.com/Jolassanda/status/835838919082196992
https://twitter.com/Jolassanda/status/835839661562036224
https://twitter.com/Jolassanda/status/835841012480147458

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Why is an anthropomorphic bean fighting a man?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

fighting friends forever

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
guess who got owned again

https://twitter.com/New_K1_bot/status/837633337300701184

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dead link.

e. nm. Guess it was just temporarily down.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 6, 2017

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
https://mobile.twitter.com/BellatorMMA/status/838841000814530563

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm relatively newish to the kickboxing scene but is Bellator's Kickboxing stuff just as shady as Bellator MMA has been accused of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Unfunny Poster posted:

I'm relatively newish to the kickboxing scene but is Bellator's Kickboxing stuff just as shady as Bellator MMA has been accused of?

If it involves kickboxers from out of the US, yes.

If it involves kickboxers from within the US, also yes.

Double points of boxers are involved.