Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The new x1 carbon is available but they don't let you customize anything and the wqhd display isn't available yet. Also it says "ready to ship" but people on Reddit are saying that their shipping date says March. Another smooth rollout by Lenovo.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That's a pricey boy, too. Eugh, making my buying decisions so hard.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Mu Zeta posted:

The new x1 carbon is available but they don't let you customize anything and the wqhd display isn't available yet. Also it says "ready to ship" but people on Reddit are saying that their shipping date says March. Another smooth rollout by Lenovo.

In Germany you can customize CPU und SSD. No idea when it ships though. I'll wait for the Yoga.

Edit: The reddit dude said that his shipping updated to Feb 17th.

Eezee fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 15, 2017

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Eezee posted:

In Germany you can customize CPU und SSD. No idea when it ships though. I'll wait for the Yoga.

Edit: The reddit dude said that his shipping updated to Feb 17th.
What's on the horizon for Yogas?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

What the gently caress amazon, I bought this laptop and a day later you shed 50 bucks from it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cingulate posted:

What's on the horizon for Yogas?

The X1 Yoga is what he's referring to, I think. It's exactly what it sounds like.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

What the gently caress amazon, I bought this laptop and a day later you shed 50 bucks from it

Just ask their support about their price protection policy

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They'll automatically give it back to you if you file a support ticket. While you're at it consider signing up for Paribus - they will file claims like this for you for any Amazon product for a % of the savings. Good if you want to buy stuff and not have to monitor Amazon prices after to get a refund if they drop.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Buca di Bepis posted:

Just ask their support about their price protection policy

Fusion Restaurant posted:

They'll automatically give it back to you if you file a support ticket. While you're at it consider signing up for Paribus - they will file claims like this for you for any Amazon product for a % of the savings. Good if you want to buy stuff and not have to monitor Amazon prices after to get a refund if they drop.

amazon stopped doing price matches on bought items since may. the only exceptions are for televisions.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

My credit card has a price guarantee so Ill just do it through them.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Usually threatening to return and rebuy gets the refund through Amazon, although it's been a while since I had to do that. They usually refund no questions asked.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Picked up a used T520 (i5-2520M, 8 GB RAM) from a government asset auction for $260 CAD ($200 USD). Going to toss a spare SSD into it since I'm not sure how long the 7200 RPM hard drives these came with tend to live.

I guess my question is, is this a decent used laptop that'll last me at least a couple years? It's replacing a Cr-48 with a flashed BIOS (single-core Atom N455 and 1 GB RAM, eek).

And, for anyone who's been inside the guts of these things, could I theoretically drop a different Sandy Bridge mobile CPU in there? I have an i7-2670QM sitting around doing nothing, and from what I've researched they're both rPGA 988B, but I can't tell if they use different chipsets...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Kazinsal posted:

Picked up a used T520 (i5-2520M, 8 GB RAM) from a government asset auction for $260 CAD ($200 USD). Going to toss a spare SSD into it since I'm not sure how long the 7200 RPM hard drives these came with tend to live.

I guess my question is, is this a decent used laptop that'll last me at least a couple years? It's replacing a Cr-48 with a flashed BIOS (single-core Atom N455 and 1 GB RAM, eek).

And, for anyone who's been inside the guts of these things, could I theoretically drop a different Sandy Bridge mobile CPU in there? I have an i7-2670QM sitting around doing nothing, and from what I've researched they're both rPGA 988B, but I can't tell if they use different chipsets...

It's already 5 years old, but it should be fine if you take care of it.

You should be able to swap a quad in there no problem, guys on /r/thinkpad do it all the time.

Handsome Rob
Jul 12, 2004

Fallen Rib
My trusty early-2011 MBP is on its last legs, so I'm looking around at replacements. Above all, I want something similarly well-built and durable -- this thing has held up incredibly well over six years. Thin and light is a big plus too.

I use my laptop for the standard web/Netflix/etc and moderate programming/data crunching. A touch screen would be nice, and the convertibles I've looked at are intriguing. (Many years ago I used a first-gen convertible for work, and while that one was awful, I would make at least some use of the feature.) Work should pay for part of this, so a bit of a cost increase isn't so bad (within reason), but I don't want to sacrifice too much durability or performance for convertibility.

Does anyone have thoughts about the 13" HP Spectre x360? The reviews look really good, and I have one configured with an i7-7500, 16gb memory, and a 512gb SSD for $1150, which seems almost too good to be true. I'm hesitant to trust HP hardware.

The XPS 13 looks great too. The convertible version only uses the mobile chips, which basically rules it out for me. Even with the non-convertible version, it's really pricy to match the specs of the x360.

Any other machines I'm overlooking?

And a general convertible question, is there some kind of on-screen keyboard available when the computer is in tablet mode? I wouldn't expect it to be integrated as well as a real tablet, but not having used one since 2010, I have no idea what the state of the art is.

Thanks guys!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I've had a good experience with the first generation X360 my work issued me. I like the keyboard and screen a lot. The track pad is lousy.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Augh, Acer, what the gently caress? What happened to "pea sized amounts"?

Cleaned it up nice and good and hey presto a donor i7-2670QM!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Handsome Rob posted:

My trusty early-2011 MBP is on its last legs, so I'm looking around at replacements. Above all, I want something similarly well-built and durable -- this thing has held up incredibly well over six years. Thin and light is a big plus too.

I use my laptop for the standard web/Netflix/etc and moderate programming/data crunching. A touch screen would be nice, and the convertibles I've looked at are intriguing. (Many years ago I used a first-gen convertible for work, and while that one was awful, I would make at least some use of the feature.) Work should pay for part of this, so a bit of a cost increase isn't so bad (within reason), but I don't want to sacrifice too much durability or performance for convertibility.

Does anyone have thoughts about the 13" HP Spectre x360? The reviews look really good, and I have one configured with an i7-7500, 16gb memory, and a 512gb SSD for $1150, which seems almost too good to be true. I'm hesitant to trust HP hardware.

The XPS 13 looks great too. The convertible version only uses the mobile chips, which basically rules it out for me. Even with the non-convertible version, it's really pricy to match the specs of the x360.

Any other machines I'm overlooking?

And a general convertible question, is there some kind of on-screen keyboard available when the computer is in tablet mode? I wouldn't expect it to be integrated as well as a real tablet, but not having used one since 2010, I have no idea what the state of the art is.

Thanks guys!

Doesn't have the touch, but the X1 Carbon (new one is available or should be very shortly) is a solid choice for a MBP equivalent. The X1 Yoga is the convertible variant, but it gets very expensive so that may be harder to swallow.

Windows 10 goes into "tablet" mode when the thing is folded up, or you can put it into tablet mode yourself. It makes apps default to fullscreen (or splits of the fullscreen etc.) and has "real" text fields trigger the keyboard. The "real" is a very real limitation however, as a lot of Windows software has had decades to cheat on what is and isn't a text-field, so in a lot of software you'll have to summon the keyboard manually (a button on the taskbar).

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Augh, Acer, what the gently caress? What happened to "pea sized amounts"?

Gotta make sure it works reel gud.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

http://computers.woot.com/offers/lenovo-yoga-12-5-touchscreen-ultrabook-22?ref=so_gh_cp_3_d_ph

Here's an example of a "cheap" Windows laptop that makes a lot of compromises to hit its low price point. It's $340, refurbished, for the next ~22 hours.
CPU is OK, nothing special. Your typical Intel ULV 2C4T.
4 GB RAM is the bare minimum you'd want, but it can't be upgraded.
The 12.5" display is small enough for the HD resolution to not be that terrible (although I'm sure your phone has a higher pixel density.) It is a touchscreen convertible though.
It has a 500 GB HDD, albeit with a small non-user accessible 16 GB SSD for caching to speed things up a little. I don't know if the SSD is upgradeable, but if it's anything like my Ideapad Y500 I exchanged its 1 TB HDD for a 1 TB SSD and the 16 GB SSD for a 120 GB SSD that I turned into the boot drive (by turning off caching in the UEFI.)

So yeah, there you go if you want a not-completely-terrible cheap Windows laptop. It doesn't stand out at all (aside from maybe the touchscreen convertible part) and is pretty representative of the "get-what-you-pay-for" concept in laptops.

Unoriginality
Jan 1, 2008
I'm afraid my MacBook, which I really liked, is finally dying and so I'm in the market for a new laptop. I would consider another Mac, but I'd rather not have to sell a kidney, and I loving hate dongles. Holy poo poo, gently caress Apple and their dongle fetish.

My only hard requirements are 8GB of RAM, a 15" native 1920x1080 display, and won't catch fire (thinking of you, Lenovo) if you try to install Linux on it. I'd strongly prefer it playing nice with Windows 7 in case I get the urge to put Windows on it, but that's not a complete deal breaker. I don't care what kind of drive it comes with, so long as it doesn't have weird mount points that would make it hard to open up and shove a 500GB or 1TB SSD into. I also don't care how powerful the CPU/GPU are, as long it can deal with a LUKS encrypted drive (and possibly a VeraCrypt container inside that) while being able to play a full-screen movie.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234444 was about the best I could find in a couple hours. If it had an AMD graphics card and I knew anything about the build quality on ASUS laptops, I'd have probably just bought it instead of typing this.

Help me, dear goons, to find a good laptop for traveling while keeping all my organs.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

The new x1 carbon is available but they don't let you customize anything and the wqhd display isn't available yet.

"14.0" WQHD IPS (2560 x 1440) 300 nits (Available in June)"

loving lmao.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So I get my new laptop, playing around with it, nvidia experience tells me I have a driver update, let it do it and now loving optimus doesnt work

Anyone know how to unfuck this?

e-Uninstalling ddu and installing the drivers from acers web page unfucked it but the drivers apparently installed experience on a network location???

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 18, 2017

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Anyone got experience with MSI laptops? It's upgrading time and I've found pretty good deals on two MSI laptops on sale that seem to eclipse the alternatives in my budget in terms of the big, obvious specs, but I still know poo poo about hardware and I don't really have any experience with MSI either.

First one is this lame-rear end g-g-g-gamerrrr thing. Got an i7 6700, GTX980M and the only laptop I could find in my price-range with 16GB of RAM (keep in mind I'm from Norway AKA the wild west of pricing and availability).

Challenger is this more generic one with the same CPU, plain GTX1060 and only 8GB of RAM.

I haven't kept up with GPUs at all - my current one is an old-rear end GT 650M - but I have the impression the 1060 is...not that impressive? Is it gonna give me more bang for my buck than the 980M? Also I'm pretty loving clueless about most other poo poo so anyone who wants to quickly check if one seems notably better or the like, I'd appreciate it.

The alternatives I've found in the same price-range are a small group of Acer/ASUS/HP machines with generally GTX1060/i5 6300/8GB specs, and several only having a 256GB SSD and no other storage (lots of storage is definitely a bigger priority than large SSD for me).

E: Suppose I should mention, I only need the specs for gaming basically, I don't do anything else strenuous. Honestly most of my time at a PC is spent in a browser or MS Word anyway, and I don't have high demands generally for my laptops - don't play recent AAA games and happy to set everything low when I do. But might as well get the best I can in my budget.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 19, 2017

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Insurrectionist posted:

Anyone got experience with MSI laptops? It's upgrading time and I've found pretty good deals on two MSI laptops on sale that seem to eclipse the alternatives in my budget in terms of the big, obvious specs, but I still know poo poo about hardware and I don't really have any experience with MSI either.

First one is this lame-rear end g-g-g-gamerrrr thing. Got an i7 6700, GTX980M and the only laptop I could find in my price-range with 16GB of RAM (keep in mind I'm from Norway AKA the wild west of pricing and availability).

Challenger is this more generic one with the same CPU, plain GTX1060 and only 8GB of RAM.

I haven't kept up with GPUs at all - my current one is an old-rear end GT 650M - but I have the impression the 1060 is...not that impressive? Is it gonna give me more bang for my buck than the 980M? Also I'm pretty loving clueless about most other poo poo so anyone who wants to quickly check if one seems notably better or the like, I'd appreciate it.

The alternatives I've found in the same price-range are a small group of Acer/ASUS/HP machines with generally GTX1060/i5 6300/8GB specs, and several only having a 256GB SSD and no other storage (lots of storage is definitely a bigger priority than large SSD for me).

E: Suppose I should mention, I only need the specs for gaming basically, I don't do anything else strenuous. Honestly most of my time at a PC is spent in a browser or MS Word anyway, and I don't have high demands generally for my laptops - don't play recent AAA games and happy to set everything low when I do. But might as well get the best I can in my budget.

1060 is about as good as the desktop 1060, depending on how well the laptop handles heat. It's the same graphics card. So it's better than 980 for sure. Dunno how it'll shake out here, maybe look at notebookcheck?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Thanks for the tip, yeah I guess the 1060's lower RAM blinded me a bit. Pity though since that makes the choice tougher, though I guess better GPU probably beats out the double system RAM.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Insurrectionist posted:

Thanks for the tip, yeah I guess the 1060's lower RAM blinded me a bit. Pity though since that makes the choice tougher, though I guess better GPU probably beats out the double system RAM.

Well, depends still I think. It is better, but it's not waaay better: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia...0.171566.0.html

(if you don't want to follow the link, it shows a ~30% performance increase on one benchmark, 10% on the other. I'm not good enough at reading gpu benchmarks to tell you much more about what that means tho)

Fusion Restaurant fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 19, 2017

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Insurrectionist posted:

You can almost definitely upgrade the RAM yourself.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

pr0zac posted:

You can almost definitely upgrade the RAM yourself.

What? Explain

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

What? Explain

He means the system RAM, not the VRAM.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Insurrectionist posted:

The 1060 will be significantly superior to the 980m, and it has a lower TDP to boot - Nvidia doesn't release TDP specs for its mobile 1060s and 1070s, but professional estimates place it south of 80w, which is lower than the 970m.

The 980m, by contrast, has a TDP of 122w. So you will get much improved battery life, better performance, and 6 VRAM vs 8 VRAM won't make any difference seeing as the 980m isn't powerful enough to use 8 gigs of VRAM anyways.

Plus, rare are the games that use more than 4 gigs of VRAM as is. 6 is assuredly going to be fine for the next 3 odd years or so, which is about how long you can expect to keep the laptop.

With regards to system RAM, a ddr4-2400 1x8gb sodimm is a grand total of $50 bucks on pcpartpicker.com, so it's not like it costs a lot to upgrade.

that being siad, the Challenger laptop isn't a great pick. The 3gb 1060 isn't as good as the 6gb version and you will probably run into some limits with 3gigs of VRAM vs 6.

Take a look at this list and see if you can't find a better laptop for a similar price.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm afraid I've done a fair amount of checking over a Norwegian price comparison site and there's really slim pickings in my budget (~15k NOK high-end, which comes out to ~$1800 at current exchange rate). So far I've only found two machines that has both a 17" screen (definite demand from me, should probably have mentioned but I was just comparing those two) and a 6GB 1060, this one and this one with an i7, not linking the ASUS site because drat is that a useless piece of poo poo apparently. And both of those are strictly speaking out of my budget too though not too far. Then there's an Acer 1070 one at ~$2k but I really don't think I can stretch that far.

Here's the tentative list in Norwegian if anyone cares, filtered for every 17" machine with a GTX10** card and at least 8 gigs of RAM. I've heard importing isn't usually worth it between the added MVA and assorted other annoyances so I dunno any cheaper outlets.

That said it seems like most of these machines have a spike in their price right now, with some having had recent sales and others even just being suddenly marked up after being stable at cheaper prices at the start of this month (so no Christmas sale explanation). I might be able to grab a 6BG 1060 or a 1070 machine if I wait for one of them to go on sale I guess. Though ideally I'd prefer one ordered by the end of the month.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Why?

17" laptops, in addition to being huge and heavy, are almost always less cost efficient than 15" (because 15" is the good size).

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Because I like my screens big. I don't really move my laptop much, the reason I use laptop over stationary is partly space issues with my tiny room/desk, and mostly being able to bring it in my carry-on when I travel by bus, which I usually do to visit my mom for a month or so every summer and occasionally other times. I don't carry it around in my day-to-day life at all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Insurrectionist posted:

Because I like my screens big. I don't really move my laptop much, the reason I use laptop over stationary is partly space issues with my tiny room/desk, and mostly being able to bring it in my carry-on when I travel by bus, which I usually do to visit my mom for a month or so every summer and occasionally other times. I don't carry it around in my day-to-day life at all.

Is adding a monitor to your setup a possibility? I feel like you would be better served getting a 15" laptop with a real large monitor to go with it while you are at home.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I could, the main issue is my desk is old and full of shelves and poo poo, there's no place to put a separate monitor except on said shelves which means it'd be pretty high up and not all that comfortable to use, which I know since I tried using it with a stationary 10 years ago. Buying a modern desk + separate storage for all my binders etc would add a lot of cost too. But I'd definitely consider it if I can't find any good deals even after waiting a while, even if I'm primarily looking at 17" for now.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I am not sure if it fits your use-case, but this rather made me come around on getting a smaller screen laptop and just dragging along an extra screen when I feel the need will be greater. Granted there is no 17" version afaik, but double 15" goes some way.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
That looks pretty cool, but I definitely wouldn't be able to fit it on my desk behind a keyboard unfortunately. If I get a separate monitor it'll have to be one that stands straight-up.

Semi-mental
Feb 5, 2007
You must be a couple of pansies
Anyone have a view on the new dell inspiron 7000 gaming? I know the screen isn't as good as the xps 15, but it's several hundred pounds cheaper despite several "better" (unless I'm missing something) components.

Is the build quality in the inspirons just trash, or is it worth considering if I don't want to spend the extra £400 on the xps?

I'm mainly going to be using it for work, hence my attraction to the better ram in the inspiron, but would like to be able to handle new games as well. Portability isn't a concern (but I live in a tiny flat so a desktop isn't possible).

Comparing these two specifically:

inspiron 7000

xps 15

There's also a slightly more expensive insprion with an ips screen, which I guess strikes a good balance between the two, but I don't know whether the extra £200 would be worth it.

Grateful for any advice.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I am not sure if it fits your use-case, but this rather made me come around on getting a smaller screen laptop and just dragging along an extra screen when I feel the need will be greater. Granted there is no 17" version afaik, but double 15" goes some way.

Is this not giving you pretty intense input lag? I have one but it's sort of been relegated to displaying documents or other things I rarely click on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So the Acer VX 15 with the 7300 chip is up on Acer's site (but no sellers listed yet), and looking at the comparison, I see one glaring and suspect omission: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/compare/NH.GM4AA.001-NH.GM4AA.004

Kind of weird that the more expensive version lists the memory type as GDDR5 while the i5 version is blank. I really hope they're not pulling a Lenovo here.

Also, for anyone who has been waiting for this laptop, evidently Acer put a free 2.5" bay inside but there's no means to connect a drive to the logic board. My guess is they'll consider it a first-run "oopsie" or you'll see a $30 cable go up for sale on their Spare Parts portal in due time. The standard drive is evidently an SATA M.2 drive.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 21, 2017