Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Doc is an awesome gentleman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I ran into Doc at Penn Station while he was still doing local work for the Devils. He's a really gentle person and holy cow he is a lot shorter than he looks.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

corn on the cop posted:

I ran into Doc at Penn Station while he was still doing local work for the Devils. He's a really gentle person and holy cow he is a lot shorter than he looks.

Ask DJ about that. It's funny.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

iospace posted:

Ask DJ about that. It's funny.

He's dwarf-sized! Legitimately didn't think I would tower over him at 5'7".

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm 6'6" and Doc is standing 2 steps higher than me in that picture. He's got to be 5'6" at the absolute most.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

corn on the cop posted:

It's really neat to actually meet people who aren't shitheads. My boss' sister is married to Len Kasper, and whenever they come to town I've gotten to hang out with him for a while. He's just the most goofy, enthusiastic guy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I met a few different celebrities when I worked in radio and they came through town and it was always interesting to see what they were like away from cameras and microphones.

Weird Al had a concert here in Toledo years ago and he could not have been a nicer, more relaxed guy when he was coming through our offices. At one point he said something like "back in 1990, if you told me that in 10-15 years I'd still be doing what I'm doing, and that Michael freaking Jackson would be culturally irrelevant, I'd have called you a liar to your face."

Hall and Oates were cool but high as balls. I don't think that surprises anyone.

I had the chance to meet Glenn Beck back in like... 04-05 so a little before he went off the deep end and was more of a conservative John Stewart. Decent enough guy, and holy hell I was eye-to-eye with him. He's at least 6'5".

Biggest surprise was Rush Limbaugh. Pretty polite guy, knows a shitload about the history of radio as a broadcast medium and hates talking politics when he's off the air. Given that he does that for 3 hours every day that's not so surprising I guess. Also has cochlear implants and said that's the reason his bumper music is all from the 80s and early 90s, because songs that came out after he got the implants basically sound like static to him because he has no memory of those songs from his hearing days.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Marv Levy is the nicest man alive. I worked at a country club in Williamsburg, Va., where he lived and he would come into the gym all the time and talk. Just a nice, friendly, uplifting man.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
My girlfriend is a freelance writer and has written some stuff for Alex 'Info Wars' Jones. It really shouldn't come as a shock that no, he isn't like that away from a camera - he even helped her out when she was having trouble with members of a certain celebrity "religion". Just don't ask him if he's Bill Hicks

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

My girlfriend is a freelance writer and has written some stuff for Alex 'Info Wars' Jones. It really shouldn't come as a shock that no, he isn't like that away from a camera - he even helped her out when she was having trouble with members of a certain celebrity "religion". Just don't ask him if he's Bill Hicks

Yeah there's no way Alex is even a little bit like his on-air persona, he'd have had so many heart attacks by now.

E: vvv holy hell, yeah i'd have never guessed that

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 13, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Speaking of Alex Jones that fucker just turned 43.

I would have guessed at least 50

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I'm offended that DJExile didn't invite me to come hang out with Doc. :smith:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Spoeank posted:

Speaking of Alex Jones that fucker just turned 43.

I would have guessed at least 50
Cocaine and Meth: a hell of a combination.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hockles posted:

I'm offended that DJExile didn't invite me to come hang out with Doc. :smith:

I am the Literal Worst Person

:(

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
My dad's office once sent him to play some charity golf tournament where you got paired up with a random celebrity, and he drew Lou Holtz. Apparently he was an utter oval office, but I guess that's not much of a surprise.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thaddius the Large posted:

My dad's office once sent him to play some charity golf tournament where you got paired up with a random celebrity, and he drew Lou Holtz. Apparently he was an utter oval office, but I guess that's not much of a surprise.

Not surprised at all. What happened to him anyway?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

Not surprised at all. What happened to him anyway?

Who Holtz? He got too old and spluttery and ESPN let him go. He's probably available for paid speaking gigs if you were interested, but mainly he's retired I would think.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Who Holtz? He got too old and spluttery and ESPN let him go. He's probably available for paid speaking gigs if you were interested, but mainly he's retired I would think.

Yeah, I think he's on Sirius/XM once in a while as an analyst but he's basically out of the public eye.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

In news that will shock exactly no one, we've discovered the reason "The Sports Reporters" got cancelled!

Congratulations, Mike Lupica!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What were some of his terrible takes again?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

What were some of his terrible takes again?

Largely it's the same tired bullshit you see from so many others. Lupica's deal specifically is he's a spoiled baby who llllooovvveess to play the "do you know who I am?!" card. He's been the NY Daily News' biggest name for a while and is doing his damndest to coast on that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

Largely it's the same tired bullshit you see from so many others. Lupica's deal specifically is he's a spoiled baby who llllooovvveess to play the "do you know who I am?!" card. He's been the NY Daily News' biggest name for a while and is doing his damndest to coast on that.
Maybe he's scared of Frank Isola.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

My memory is foggy here, but there was also someone on Sports Reporters who said a woman who settled a sexual assult case (maybe the Jamis Winston case?) could "show her true character" by donating the money to womens' shelters instead of keeping it for herself. I don't know if that was Lupica though, but it wouldn't shock me if it was.

E: Close! It was Mitch Albom, who also needs to gently caress off forever.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 15, 2017

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lupica on TV is your standard generic old white man with old white man opinions. Most of the hatred is based on unanimous reports from anyone who's dealt with him over the last few decades about what a complete and total oval office he is.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dave Strader is back temporarily for the Dallas Stars

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

sportsgenius86 posted:

Lupica on TV is your standard generic old white man with old white man opinions. Most of the hatred is based on unanimous reports from anyone who's dealt with him over the last few decades about what a complete and total oval office he is.

I remember one story about him covering Final Four, and IIRC he got a press seat in like the second row instead of the first, and threw a massive bitch fit about it before they moved him just so he would shut up.

Lupica's always been an rear end in a top hat and I don't know how New York sports fans put up with him for so long.

E: found the story from Deadspin

quote:

NCAA Final Four. (I think it was the New Orleans Fin4 made famous by Keith Smart's buzzer beater.) Lupica is walking up and down the front row, looking for his seat, starting at center court. No Lupica. Goes to second row, No Lupica. Getting pissed now. . .Third Row. Finally finds his name tag around the Super Dome entrance reserved for Katrina. Storms off to find a Media Honcho. Points to a name tag for a guy from some peckerwood upstate daily in Bama or Miss. Says words to the effect: "This guy is not a First Row Guy (speaking in capitals). I'm a first row guy and I better be there." The backwoods scribe who was giddy with his good fortune came back from a press conference to find Lupica in his former front row seat. Mike says something like, "Take it up with that guy over there."

Benne fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 16, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Anyone see the Cavs-Pacers game earlier with Dickie V. and Bill Walton?

It's incredible how night and day better that pair is than having to deal with Van Gurndy/Jackson were. Van Gundy just seems to always whine and have the worst loving hot takes.

God...why does ESPN keep forcing these guys as the NBA A-Team?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I have a lot of respect for Mike Breen, he's still really good even when having to deal with the insufferable boobs sitting next to him.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Benne posted:

I have a lot of respect for Mike Breen, he's still really good even when having to deal with the insufferable boobs sitting next to him.

It's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f5KB3_Qv_k

Like even when Walton is dropping hot takes? They're hilarious. He also sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkVwRw6k3ko

When he's rambling about random poo poo? Same thing. Dude's loving stoned and making me enthralled with his random rear end stories.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Van Gundy started out fine but his sell by date has long passed. I'm sure they'd like to have Walton do NBA but he's an old dude who is super beat up and I don't think he wants to do a ton of travel. He can do PAC 12 stuff because he can get to the games easily from where he lives. I think Collins is doing studio for the same reason, which is a huge waste since he was an all time great NBA color guy.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If Walton wants to stay on the West Coast they can have him call the late-night NBA games, since it's always a California team in that timeslot anyway.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

Van Gundy started out fine but his sell by date has long passed. I'm sure they'd like to have Walton do NBA but he's an old dude who is super beat up and I don't think he wants to do a ton of travel. He can do PAC 12 stuff because he can get to the games easily from where he lives. I think Collins is doing studio for the same reason, which is a huge waste since he was an all time great NBA color guy.

Also the smaller niche audience watching Pac 12 basketball is a better market for rambling about the Dead and rubbing dirt on himself

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Mike Pereira is a really nice guy. If you guys were able to see how he reacts to most of the awful/stupid tweets he receives I think you'd all laugh your asses off. Michael Strahan is also a ridiculously nice guy and I honestly respect the hell out of his crazy work schedule. He'd be at Fox on Sunday and we'd wrap at like 4:30pm PST. He has to immediately leave to get to the airport to fly back to New York for Good Morning America the next day which airs at 7am EST which means he's probably in studio by 5am in New York. Yeah its only a six hour flight and yes he's not flying coach, but still, the time loss and turnaround is crazy.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I wonder if Tiki Barber ever gets jealous that Strahan became the former Giants player with more media success than he had

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Benne posted:

I wonder if Tiki Barber ever gets jealous that Strahan became the former Giants player with more media success than he had

And not even like "became a talking head on an NFL pregame show and that's it" kind of success. Like true "everyone in America knows who he is" kind of success. Maybe that's an exaggeration, but my wife knows who he is (and loves him) because of Kelly and Michael and she's a pretty good indicator of fame outside of sports.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Mahoning posted:

And not even like "became a talking head on an NFL pregame show and that's it" kind of success. Like true "everyone in America knows who he is" kind of success. Maybe that's an exaggeration, but my wife knows who he is (and loves him) because of Kelly and Michael and she's a pretty good indicator of fame outside of sports.

That's absolutely what Tiki was trying to be, now he's been hilariously usurped by Strahan.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah Tiki was openly talking about doign exaxtly what Strahan is doing now. He retired early to work on the Today show and everyone thought he was being groomed for a hosting role. Then he wound up being awful at it and got in trouble for cheating on his wife with an intern so they dropped him. The goofy looking gap toothed dlineman who shittalked him after he retired coming out of nowhere to have the career he wanted is hilarious

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Maybe that's an exaggeration, but my wife knows who he is (and loves him) because of Kelly and Michael and she's a pretty good indicator of fame outside of sports.

no, that's pretty much dead on.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
He also is the face of J.C. Penny mens wear...so he's got that going for him too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

MourningView posted:

Yeah Tiki was openly talking about doign exaxtly what Strahan is doing now. He retired early to work on the Today show and everyone thought he was being groomed for a hosting role. Then he wound up being awful at it and got in trouble for cheating on his wife with an intern so they dropped him. The goofy looking gap toothed dlineman who shittalked him after he retired coming out of nowhere to have the career he wanted is hilarious

It also helps that Strahan comes off as personable and charismatic. It's a perfect relationship for both parties.