Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Afaik only if you're OCONUS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I would think that the IRR, like the National Guard, is completely different from what it was pre-9/11. I've actually been in schools, and deployments, with several IRR guys. So I'd assume they'd have I.D.'s and access just like everyone else.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I still have a year of IRR left. I just have the green ID. Not sure if I'm actually allowed to use post facilities, but nobody's given me a hard time about it, so I'd guess that it's a-OK. :shrug:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

DoktorLoken posted:

My ARNG discharge orders (ETS is a handful of days away) just hit my iPerms and say "You are discharged from the Army National Guard and as a reserve of the Army." and Current Organization Identification Code: "NONE OR NO MILITARY STATUS (W)"

Does this mean I'm not being transferred to the IRR? It seems to read that way.

Same thing happened to me.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Naked Bear posted:

I still have a year of IRR left. I just have the green ID. Not sure if I'm actually allowed to use post facilities, but nobody's given me a hard time about it, so I'd guess that it's a-OK. :shrug:

Read this as.. poop in every bathroom you can get access to.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

White Chocolate posted:

Read this as.. poop in every bathroom you can get access to.

A Phantom Shitter rises.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

🤔

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

I would think that the IRR, like the National Guard, is completely different from what it was pre-9/11. I've actually been in schools, and deployments, with several IRR guys. So I'd assume they'd have I.D.'s and access just like everyone else.

When I transferred to the IRR they told me to hang on to my CAC in case I wanted to take an IMA position or go to school.

I don't plan on doing either of those things, but hey.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Wasabi the J posted:

I'll gladly pay the taxes for never having to loving see a military base in my life.

I like having the ability to go on post and not feel obligated to follow any social norms.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

LTC: Are you in line?
Me: Yeah.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Yeah I can have a retired ID card and I haven't bothered. I still have my expired AD cac card that I use for lowes discounts which is the only place I've ever even bothered to associate with the military iRL. 10% of a new appliance is worth the shame and awkward "THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE"

The VA identification card also works for that discount. After the GI bill, its probably the benefit I've gotten the most use out of.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Naked Bear posted:

Me: What the gently caress are you doing in my house?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Naked Bear posted:

Me: Yeah.

The gently caress kind of LTC has taxes so basic that he/she can still do them on post without losing their minds?

Literally easier for me to do my own than try to have a tax center on post figure it out, and I'm no LTC.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

The gently caress kind of LTC has taxes so basic that he/she can still do them on post without losing their minds?

Literally easier for me to do my own than try to have a tax center on post figure it out, and I'm no LTC.

I just do H and R block because of the guarantee and I can't be hosed with doing all the tax credit stuff I ask for.

I'm supposed to get a lot back this year. 10k plus.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I'm always pumped if I pay less than a month's pay.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I got my tax return all year round. Everything considered, I owe like 70 bucks to the fed.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Carteret posted:

I got my tax return all year round. Everything considered, I owe like 70 bucks to the fed.

This is very good. It means you didn't give them a free loan. :colbert:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
if you file taxes late and they actually owe you money they'll pay you interest :)

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I got like 60 bucks back.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

I like the bonus money. I mean it's always been my money but I like it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

spacetoaster posted:

exactly

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I want to re-enlist just to actively post in this thread. Active Army 2000-2004, 95B hell yeah.

I would love to just shadow a company for a week just to see what it's like vs. 13 years ago

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

80s James Hetfield posted:

I want to re-enlist

Stopped reading here. Started judging you negatively immediately.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
My job is currently going through a massive re-organization and I've joking talked to friends that if I lose my job I could always re-enlist (I think? I'm 35), do 20 years and still retire before my friends.

Obvious satire but it's kind of interesting to think what basic would be like again at this age getting yelled at by 24 year old Staff Sgt's

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Basic is definitely a "if I knew then what I know now" type of nostalgia

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I wouldnt trade the experience for millions nor would I reenlist for millions.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I want to re-enlist just to actively post in this thread. Active Army 2000-2004, 95B hell yeah.

I would love to just shadow a company for a week just to see what it's like vs. 13 years ago

There are no 95B's anymore. It's been "updated" to 31 series now. :smuggo:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

And I was just thinking about how nice it was that we had no MP's in GiP.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

how is that possible

seems like in 04/05 every 11b was being converted to mp

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Well MPs are p much infantry anyway.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

TBeats posted:

I heard this is pretty much the case. Pre 9/11 during garrison or "green phase" all we did was gate guard and work the road but now I think a majority of that is done by the DoD civilians on the installations right.

I was stationed in Ft. Lewis for 3 years and did my last year in Pusan at Hialeah. I remember right outside the gate in Tillicompton they had this banging rear end teriyaki chicken place.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

TBeats posted:

yeah

when i was mobbing through Dix i was surprised that there were no infantry companies that I saw also mobbing. Shitload of MP's, and a fun Postal unit with the motto "First Class all the Way"

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

I heard this is pretty much the case. Pre 9/11 during garrison or "green phase" all we did was gate guard and work the road but now I think a majority of that is done by the DoD civilians on the installations right.

Oh the fond memories of 12on 12off gate guard before the bundeswehr took over.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I remember right outside the gate in Tillicompton they had this banging rear end teriyaki chicken place.
gently caress yes, Wok In Wok Out. poo poo my brains out every time, but still my favorite Chinese takeout place to date, it's just so drat good. Their Mongolian chicken is the bomb.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

TBeats posted:

I will end you.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Smart enough to switch. Not smart enough to commission.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Why the gently caress would you even bother going to a px/commissary even for tax-free booze/tobacco, is it really really worth the few extra dollars to deal with seeing camouflage again that isn't being worn by a disinterested human behind a plastic table with a "Join the X!" placard on the front?

That said, this fall I will be working on a military installation again :nsa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

Why the gently caress would you even bother going to a px/commissary even for tax-free booze/tobacco, is it really really worth the few extra dollars to deal with seeing camouflage again that isn't being worn by a disinterested human behind a plastic table with a "Join the X!" placard on the front?

That said, this fall I will be working on a military installation again :nsa:

If you're in state without alcohol control, they can sell booze at something like 15% below market rate tax free. So if you're buying something like Scotch it can be considerably cheaper.

But I wouldn't go out of my way to do it.